Need some advice...

sweetjannah

Assalamualaikum,
I've recently gotten interested in Qur'aanic studies since listening to some lectures by Br. Nouman Ali Khan. I've found some really good material on TTI and online but the problem is where I live I am sort of cut off from the world and don't think I can get a teacher to teach me. I don't think I can go for an online course either.

The material I've gathered is sort of a mix of vocabulary word lists, Tafaseer, arabic learning books e.t.c but I really don't know where or what to start with. I understand that learning Classical Arabic first is a must but since I am tutoring myself this will take time and I don't want to wait till I have done so to begin Quraanic studies. So I just wanted to ask for any advice on what my starting steps should be and what approach I should take to studying since I am really confused right now.

Also, has anyone ever tried tutoring his/herself in Quraanic studies before? If so, have you been successful?? What were the challenges that you faced???
Any book/resource names/tips would be really appreciated.
May Allah (the Exalted) reward you in both this life and the next...

Hassan

Laa ilaha ilaa Allah
Staff member
wa alaikum asalaam

There is no might and no power except with Allah. Alhamdulillah. You sound so motivated to learn, it is inspiring.

I think it is never too soon to begin learning the Arabic alphabet, even if you don't yet go into grammar and so on, as you progress through your other studies you can keep a vocabulary list of new words and learn them correctly from the start, in shaa Allah. Spending a little time on Arabic often will give you a stronger foundation than trying to focus on it for many hours but only sometimes.
Mix it up and look to where you are interested to learn. I think tafseer, aqeeda and seerah all are good places to begin.
This is just my opinion, so I look forward to seeing what other responses you get.

btw, the Islamic Online University has a diploma course which is free. The materials are all downloadable, mostly as .pdf and .mp3 so you can work at your own pace and only need to get back online to complete the assessment. Don't know if you had heard of it, but if not, perhaps it is something to look into. In shaa Allah.

May Allah reward you with good for your efforts, increase you in beneficial knowledge, and grant you success in your studies.

wasallam

Tabassum07

Smile for Allah
:salam:

^ As the brother above mentioned the Islamic Online University Diploma, I want to add that they actually have an Arabic Reading and Writing Course with notes and audio lectures. Maybe you might find it helpful, so please take a look at it. All of it is free and can be done at your own pace. Also, you'll have to submit homework and get grades back which is good and have tests and finals etc.

TheAuthenticBase

Assalaamu 'alaykum!
try the madeenah arabic books, they're very simple and easy to understand mA.

my ustaadh (Abu Rumaysah) learn arabic in 8 weeks! and now he's translating so many books mA.

Anything is easy if u put ur mind 2 it iA...

also there's a place in egypt called qortoba, there's a branch in alexandria and a branch in cairo, tho dunno if u can afford the travel and living costs etc.

may Allaah make it easy for u, ameen.

um muhammad al-mahdi

لا اله الا الله محمد رسول الله
Staff member
Assalamu Alaykum dear sister,

May Allah make it easy for you and always keep your niya in mind inshallah!

I would advice you to have someone to help you for 2 simple but important reasons:

1- Arabic letters have sounds that we don't find in any other language and it's better to learn them properly from the beginning. It would be harder to correct something you are used to in the future.

2- Quran is the word of Allah and you need someone who can really explain to you the language because again Arabic is such a rich language mashallah tabarakallah!

Are you in the UK? Anyway PM me if you can inshallah!

Jazakillahu khayran

SonOfAdam

Staff member
You can definitely learn by yourself but it is easy to get the wrong idea on topics or misread many things, overlook an important detail, etc. so it is always best to learn from others that have more knowledge than you. I would start off by reading simple pamphlets of Islam that give a good introduction to Islam and study the Quran and Hadith directly before diving into deep subjects, if you do not have a good foundation then anything you learn later will go to waste possibly as you will not know how these advanced topics are important or correlate to others. The more you are around Muslims the more you will see that what you are learning is correct as you will see it from multiple sources then too. Since it seems you are not around many Muslims, listening to audio or video lectures from multiple scholars will also give you an idea on many Islamic principles and confirm that they are all correct. Islam is easy, don't stress about every last detail just focus on remembering Allah SWT and trying to get closer to Him. You don't have to be a scholar, but it is important for all of us to wish to be one or yearn for that knowledge. I try to read or listen to anyone (Muslim or not) with an open mind and undersanding, this allows me to learn and take the good from any person- even if they are not good people. Pray that Allah SWT only gives you knowledge from the best sources, that is what I always do. You will always run into people without knowledge of Islam that think they know it all- so don't believe everything you hear. Always remember the religion is meant to be easy, do not overburden yourself, as you know, it is a pleasure to study our Din and the taste of Iman is so sweet.

Nureyni Amir

Walaikum Asalam Warahmatullahi Wabarakatuh ukhty,
May Allah swa bestow beneficial knowledge on you and make the path easy for you.
My teacher once told us, "You can't fully learn without having a teacher" Due to my statement, knowledge is everywhere, so I will study from internet. Like the brother also said, we will be able to memorize something from net but we might miss on something bigger like pronunciation, and meanings. So, It will be in'sha'allah better if you can even have a distance teacher that can listen to your recitation and recite for you on phone and meet with them whenever it is convenient for you.