Nervous

boupj

So I live in an area full of Muslims but I don't know any, actually only one, and he doesn't even know I took Shahada yet. I really want to meet fellow muslims as there are many thigns I'm struggling with as new convert . A big thing is hijab. Allah has (thankfully) put it on my heart to wear hijab, but I haven't put it on yet. No one knows I'm a Muslim. I also don't want to wear hijab until I've stopped smoking because nothing looks worse (or much more hypocritical) than a Muslim in headscarf smoking a cigarette. As a convert who is very well aware of all the prejudice about Islam out there I want to make sure that I'm representing Islam properly if I'm going to make my faith visible (with hijab) or even just known. I really want to meet fellow Muslims because I'm lonely I've stopped going out (cuz all my friends drink and Inshallah I've stopped drinking) and I'm just very lonely. There is a Muslim association at my school and I really want to go speak to someone there but everyone in it seems to be a born Muslim and I worry that I won't fit in. I always tell myself I'm going to go but when I see them at the clubs table I lose my nerve. I know I'm being silly but I really need support here and everyone at TTI has been so supportive in the past I hope I can receive a little more of that support.
On a lighter note I ran into a friend of mine (an old drinking buddy) who saw me and said "So you're a good girl now" shows that I've made progress, people who don't even know about my conversion can see that I've changed.

Cortoby

The best thing to do is take it step by step

I would suggest that you do introduce yourself to the Muslim Association at your school. Even if they are born Muslims, I'm sure they would be very happy to welcome you In-Shaa-Allah

Also, try to attend the Friday prayer in a nearby mosque. That would also be where you would meet other Muslims.

With time In-Shaa-Allah you will find that you will make many new Muslim friends

May Allah make this transition easy for you

Ameen

abdul Qadir

remember death
:salam2:

dear sister ..... try and talk to someone at the muslim association that you know and tell that person that you are a muslim and she\he would inshaAllah introduce you to the MA and im sure they gonna welcome you and help you out with all that you need to learn about islam ... look at it this way ... when you are buying oranges would you know which one is sweet or not?? so try to talk to atleast one muslim and the rest will welcome you and help you inshaAllah

Noor to shine

:salam2: sister
Dear sister you have a great treasure within : faith in our creator and his message to humanity....your stroy and shahada renewed faith in me .....you have a fresh Iman ...so try your best to make it flourish ....I think that the best helper for you is prayer ....Did you start praying ? ........then you need good muslem company (I am sure any true muslem will feel very happy to help you,) .........Rememebre that you are now pleasing the Lord of the worlds not any little creature and walking on a straight path leeding to Janna by the mercy of Allah.May Allah grant me and you complete faith , good understanding for Islam.

with love and regards
:salah: :salah: :salah: :salah: :salah: :salah: :salah: :salah: :salah: :salah:

salam

asalamo alaikom

welcome sister
i think you are in that process to introduce yourself to a muslim.
in a way "don't think no more and just do"
don't think of what might others be thinking or how would you look, but just go and introduce yourself to a sister and insha Allah, she will welcome you.
having muslims around you helps a lot to practice islam, i experience that.
feeling/being lonely is an easy target for saytan/devil.

may Allah make it easy for you :SMILY139:

boupj

thanks to evryone for your responses. Someone asked if I started praying, yes I did, but I don't hit all five and it's really hard to learn the prayers but I'm making a lot of progress.

Bawar

Struggling2Surrender
assalamu alaikum dear sister
I remember the day when you were in the process of converting and then finally took the shahada.
I was looking out for you to find out how you have been doing. Its nice to see you back here.
as the other brothers and sisters said, it is not a good idea to be alone. especially for a muslim, because islam promotes social contacts and relations.
and yes, it is much easier to practice islam when you are among other muslims or at least in contact with them.
you will learn about islam much faster and broaden your horizons.
i hope you will find true muslim friends who will welcome you and I am sure they will.
As nobody knows about your conversion, it will not be easy for other muslims around you to approach you so it will be wise to let them know of your conversion.
i wish you the best and leave you in allah's protection
wassalam

proud2bemuslim

ALLAH HU AKBAR

Congratulations Sister on becoming Muslim. May Allah protect you and guide you to the right path at all times.

First of all find a good sister in your school that can help you with Islam and that will introduce you to other sisters in your Muslim Students Association. Second I think you should wear the Hijab since you already realize the importance of it. You mentioned that you want to wait till you stop smoking and then wear hijab. Well sister why don't you wear the hijab and then if you do have to smoke, then smoke wear there is nobody. (I'm not saying you should continue smoking) But when you are around in public wear the hijab and then when you are home you could smoke (May Allah help you stop this habit).

Also Sister do not be nervous at all. You will realize that most Muslims will love to help you once you tell them you've become a Muslim. And with you becoming Muslim you can do a better job at educating others about Islam.