New to Islam

Ashley_speranza

Hi my name is Ashley and I'm curious about Islam and it's principles on marriage. I've been dating an Egyptian doctor for over a year now and we're very close. I want to marry this man but I feel religion is the barrier between us. I'm catholic and he is muslim. What do I need to do to get him to propose? He's met my family and oddly enough I still haven't been introduced to anyone on his end. I haven't met his family and I'm not sure if he's embarrassed of introducing me. Can you help me understand the culture please and what the principles are? Do I need to convert for him to take me seriously?

Last edited:

SonOfAdam

Staff member
Hi Ashley,

This is probably the hardest question I have seen here. I will answer the best I can.

You are right to suspect your religion may be the reason for him not showing you to his family. He may come from a conservative/religious/traditional family that would want him to marry a girl from his culture and religion etc. But that doesn't mean he can't marry you. A Muslim man can marry a person of the Book (Jews, Christians, Catholics, etc.), however the understanding is that the kids would be Muslim (I take it you are OK with this since you are willing to even change your religion just to be with him). It is a little early to talk about kids though... It is also probable that he is not showing you to his family because he is shy since boyfriend/girlfriend relationship is not a part of Islam and his family would surely be upset at him. You being Catholic I am sure can understand, the modern way of boyfriend/girlfriend, and premarital relationships, is mostly sinful.

If your boyfriend is more religious then he'd be so happy if you converted I am sure, but you should not convert just for him or marriage. You should research the religion and give it close and careful consideration and only become Muslim if you truly believe in it. This is actually much easier than you may think, we have so many Christians/Catholics that become Muslim daily... and they do it simply because they know it is the truth and their is much proof to back this up. Even if you don't end up with him you should look into Islam further, if for nothing else, to know what Muslims are all about and to hopefully get rid of some of the silly misconceptions there are out there about us.

I hope this helps you a bit. I don't really know what to tell you...

I would recommend being open to him and asking him directly when he is in a good mood. I just hope he is not one of these men that is not serious in a relationship... I am so happy you wish to get married, that is the right thing to do. It is better to be married to go on and fall into very sinful actions...

Hi Ashley, I read your post definitely your problem is religion. Now it is a good time for you to learn what is Islam about? Don't think just about marriage , try to learn what muslims are believing. Our religion is not hard to practice and not complicated . If I were you I would Turn To Islam :) I promise you will have a wonderful life in Ahiret ( it means second life after this life) and he will be in love with you once again and you will get engaged next week.

Ashley_speranza

Thank you so much for your replies. This really is hard because my faith has always been with the church. Suppose he accepts me for what I am, how do I present myself to fellow Muslims? I am very modern and I've noticed through pics that his sisters wear hijabs. I like heels and makeup and fitted outfits, I have full lips through injection procedures and I am sure you are labeling me right now but this is me. Would his family shun me for being this way?

Thank you so much for your replies. This really is hard because my faith has always been with the church. Suppose he accepts me for what I am, how do I present myself to fellow Muslims? I am very modern and I've noticed through pics that his sisters wear hijabs. I like heels and makeup and fitted outfits, I have full lips through injection procedures and I am sure you are labeling me right now but this is me. Would his family shun me for being this way?

I realize that you mention about yourself more than your religion. We are all believe in same God we call him Allah c.c. We believe Jesus as a prophet its one of the difference between us. Don't worry about your looking right now also as a good muslim we wouldn't label anyone just their look. There are lots of muslim looks just like you and they are still muslim. I really want you to go and read Kuran and ask your boyfriend what about it.

Last edited by a moderator: