Problem Non stick pans, need some help..!!!

Seeking Peace

Assalam-o-Alaikum Wr Wb my sisters and brothers in Deen...

i have been thinking about this particular problem for long....consulted a few people but couldn't get any answer...my question is about the use of non-stick utensils...non-stick utensils are pretty frequently used in households because they are easy to use and wash......but are they allowed??? i read somewhere that they are not allowed but i was not sure about it...

so does anyone know anything about it...please share the knowledge...

JazakAllah-o-Khair...

may Allah S.W.T guide us to His path ameen sum ameen..

W'S..

Janaan

ربنا اغفر لنا ذنوبنا
Staff member
Wa`alaikum salaam warahmatullaah wabarakaatuh

I personally don't like or use non-stick pans but not because of health risks and whatnot.
But this is what I read on Wikipedia (my HS English teacher would so fail me if she saw this lol):
Concerns have been raised over the possible negative effects of using PTFE-coated cooking pans. When pans are overheated beyond approximately 350 °C (660 °F) the PTFE coating begins to dissociate, releasing byproducts (PFOA) which can cause polymer fume fever in humans and can be lethal to birds. Compounds in non-stick cookware may be associated with elevated cholesterol levels in children and teens. Processing of PTFE in the past used to include Perfluorooctanoic acid (PFOA) as an emulsifier, however PFOA is a persistent organic pollutant and poses both environmental and health concerns, and is now being phased out of use in PTFE processing.

Have a read here as well inshaa'Allah.

Seeking Peace

Wa`alaikum salaam warahmatullaah wabarakaatuh

I personally don't like or use non-stick pans but not because of health risks and whatnot.
But this is what I read on Wikipedia (my HS English teacher would so fail me if she saw this lol):

Have a read here as well inshaa'Allah.
JazakAllah-o-Khair sister...may Allah S.W.T reward you in both the worlds...

i don't cook in non-stick either...i don't know why but the very look of non-stick repulses me...but it is used in many households...and every time i eat some fried food at someone's place it really irritates me to think if it has been cooked in a non-stick...and one of the reasons for the dislike is the very reason of the coating coming off of the utensil...anyone who is regular in cooking and if they have used the non-sticks they know how uglily the coating is washed off after a lot of frying.....errr lolxxx

JazakAllah-o-khair for the link it furthers my dislike for them lolxxx

W'S..

Tabassum07

Smile for Allah
:salam:

well it's not haram, for one. It's up to you if you want to use it or not. I've used it many times though....

Mahzala

فَتَبَارَكَ اللَّهُ أَحْسَنُ الْخَالِقِينَ
Assalaamu'alaykum,

What do you mean by not allowed?

I only use non-stick ... Hmmm.

Eman Yousuf

:salam:,

:jazaak: for bringing up the topic I never checked though.., I don't use them either, because it has many dos and don'ts (use wooden spatula, wash don't scrub stuff like that), I bought one fry pan last year but burnt something so badly in that :D I had to scrub it off and now it is an ordinary pan (I use it for burning my oodh incense in it) .

May be if carefully cooked in that no harm I suppose...

Inshaallah I will check it out to be on safer side. One thing is sure it is not Haraam.

Barak allah fiqum,

Mahzala

Eman Yousuf, hahaha, must have burnt pretty bad for it to damage a non-stick pan huh?

You're right about being careful with them, but I guess I grew used to it, and I use silicone spatulas anyway, so no unwanted damage, and as for its washing, it's made so easy with cream cleansers, they come out new every time. So if you do go back, try those things, they make things a lot easier. Nowadays I'm quite interested in stoneware, haven't tried them, but they look pretty worthwhile.

Tabassum07

Smile for Allah

My mother always had something or other in stoneware around the house... The only thing is that they are literally quite *heavy*. Your arms hurt from washing big stoneware dishes.

Janaan

ربنا اغفر لنا ذنوبنا
Staff member
:salam:,
I use it for burning my oodh incense in it

:wasalam:

How's that done? Do you add water to it plus the `oodh and just leave it on the stove...? I've seen my sister do this, my aunt on the other hand actually adds cloves and cinnamon sticks, lol

Mahzala

My mother always had something or other in stoneware around the house... The only thing is that they are literally quite *heavy*. Your arms hurt from washing big stoneware dishes.

True, I've never considered their weight, but from what I've seen, they're not too heavy, in fact, not any different from the standard. They are the more contemporary ones I am referring to. Seen them?

Eman Yousuf

No I don't add water, I just put the pan on the gas stove after heating it up I turn the nob to simmer position put powdered oodh or any other dry powder incense when they let their fume out I switch off the gas stove, take the pan to every where in the house to spread the smell or keep it one place .

Stone utensils are used in olden days , cooking in it is done like a camp fire cooking. Still in some villages in India use them. Yes, The food cooked in them are delicious (I have tasted once) in spite of there heaviness .

ma salaam

Mahzala

I might come across as being quite the consumer adverts would love me to be, but quality speaks for itself sometimes. By stoneware, this is what I meant.

Tabassum07

Smile for Allah

Ah, I haven't used those kind of cooking utensils, Mahzala. I've used stoneware dinner sets, serving dishes, casserole dishes, etc. Well, you can experiment and let us know how it all goes. *waits eagerly for reviews*

Why is this thread here and not in sis's section anyway? I can't imagine anyone other than us being interested in this thread.

Eman Yousuf - what you're saying is a different thing. I think you mean traditional clay pots??