Not completing the Quran in Ramadan?

ShahnazZ

Striving2BeAStranger
:salam2: and Ramadan Mubarak to everyone,

Quick question.

The masjid near my house where we pray our Taraweeh prayers just recently decided to undertake a significant change to the Taraweeh prayers because of how late Isha has been lately and how it would take awhile to complete Taraweeh.

What normally happens is that throughout the month of Ramadan, the imam will complete the entire Quran in the Taraweeh prayers. Therefore, each rak'ah would last long because of how lengthy the initial surahs are. The board committee of the masjid felt that due to how late Isha has been, it would last way too long for the attendees and they asked the imam to recite small surahs (in no specific order) instead of attempting to finish the Quran. As a result, the rak'ahs are significantly shorter, but it also means that the Quran will not be completed at the masjid this Ramadan.

This infuriated many in my family and they are planning to pray their Taraweeh prayers elsewhere.

My question is: Is it correct for the masjid to do this? Is it correct for them to not finish the Quran during Taraweeh in Ramadan? My research indicated that it is not obligatory for Muslims to complete the Quran in Ramadan but there was no mention of whether or not this was applicable to a congregation.

JazakAllah khair!

thariq2005

Praise be to Allah!
Wa `alaykum salaam wa rahmatullaah

May Allaah make this Ramadaan a means of expiation of our sins and raising our ranks in Jannah.

I don't know if there is any well-established opinion that it is "Waajib" to complete the Qur'aan in the night prayers- but the Hanaabilah and the Ahnaaf (The hanafi madh-hab) were of the view that it is Mustahabb to complete the Qur'aan, however it is not waajib.

Perhaps, this is a good opportunity for both your family and all of us to recite the Qur'aan ourselves and complete it. And with the extra given time of the day, one can reflect over the Great Speech of the Mighty and Majestic! The very Qur'aan- which, if it was sent down to the mountains... it will humble and crumble to pieces out of the fear of Allaah.

Many times, people worry over the fact that the Qur'aan has to be completed- but most of these people fail to contemplate and reflect over the ayaat that are recited, which is of very great importance. Inshaa'Allaah, this is not the case with your family and they only wish khayr by wanting to listen to the entire Qur'aan... but what I mentioned is generally how people work- unfortunately.

How far away have we gone from the Qur'aan- the Qur'aan, the ayaat of which if recited, shakes the believing hearts with fear. When will we ever realize that the angels ascend to Allaah and mention our closeness to His Speech, and we are seeking nothing but His Face, and seeking His Jannah. What success is greater, after we have taken the book of Allaah between our hands and allowed it to penetrate our hearts? May Allaah make us close to His Speech and raise our ranks in Jannah due to the Qur'aan.

Wassalaamu `alaykum

ShahnazZ

Striving2BeAStranger
JazakAllah khair for the response, Akhi.

In regards for completing the Quran, I have another question. If I were to attempt to complete it, is it okay to recite part of it during Taraweeh prayers and then part of it on my own (outside of prayer)?

thariq2005

Praise be to Allah!
JazakAllah khair for the response, Akhi.

In regards for completing the Quran, I have another question. If I were to attempt to complete it, is it okay to recite part of it during Taraweeh prayers and then part of it on my own (outside of prayer)?

What I understand from that is you will be praying the night prayers by yourself and you will be reciting it... then this is considered reciting. But, if you pray behind someone then that is listening and won't be considered reciting.

As point of benefit for everyone- We should not merely aim to "complete" the Qur'aan during this blessed month, but it should be mainly aiming at doing as much good as possible, making use of our time as much as possible- thus, reaping as much reward as possible. So, if possible completing the Qur'aan more than once etc.

P.S Apologies for using your thread for my own personal 'reminders'

ShahnazZ

Striving2BeAStranger
What I understand from that is you will be praying the night prayers by yourself and you will be reciting it... then this is considered reciting. But, if you pray behind someone then that is listening and won't be considered reciting.

I apologize for not being clear. Here's what I mean (and yes, I would be praying Taraweeh by myself and not in congregation):

Say I aim to complete the Quran this Ramadan (I read your reminder but let's just take this as a hypothetical).

During Taraweeh prayers, I start reciting from Surat al-Baqarah. When I finish with Taraweeh, I want to recite some more Quran but outside of prayer. As in, sitting down and reciting from the Mushaf.

Can I pick up from where I left off in Taraweeh and then continue this pattern until I've completed the entire Quran?

Weird question I know but it was one of those 'eurekas' that popped into my head earlier and I simply want to know if it's a feasible idea or not.

Jazakallah khair again for your efforts.

Seeking Allah's Mercy

Qul HuwaAllahu Ahud!
I apologize for not being clear. Here's what I mean (and yes, I would be praying Taraweeh by myself and not in congregation):

Say I aim to complete the Quran this Ramadan (I read your reminder but let's just take this as a hypothetical).

During Taraweeh prayers, I start reciting from Surat al-Baqarah. When I finish with Taraweeh, I want to recite some more Quran but outside of prayer. As in, sitting down and reciting from the Mushaf.

Can I pick up from where I left off in Taraweeh and then continue this pattern until I've completed the entire Quran?

Weird question I know but it was one of those 'eurekas' that popped into my head earlier and I simply want to know if it's a feasible idea or not.

Jazakallah khair again for your efforts.

Asalamoalaikom wa rahmatullahi wa barakaatuhu. . .

I think Akhi Thariq can answer better. I guess it's fine. It's part of the Quraan you recite in the taraweeh so continuing it later should be fine. It's just part of the Qur'aan "in" prayers and part "outside" it. It's still recitation of the word of Allah.

I suppose you'll missing the reward of "reading" the words from the mushaf while you are reciting them in your prayers though.

thariq2005

Praise be to Allah!
I think Akhi Thariq can answer better.

Wa `alaykum salaam wa rahmatullaahi wa barkaaatuh

Jazaakillaahu khairaa for having good thought about me- perhaps you held me in a much higher status than I deserve to be in. Nonetheless, may Allaah elevate your status in the Aakhirah and in the dunya.

I actually, don't know the answer to the question. Inshaa'Allaah if someone finds a fatwa on this issue, they can share it. Will be interesting to know.

Aisya al-Humaira

الحمدلله على كل حال
Assalamua'alaykum wa rahmatullahi wa barakaatuh,

As I was reading virtues about the Quran, I found the rulings that are related to your questions. Alhamdulillah.

It says in al-Mawsoo’ah al-Fiqhiyyah (27/148):

The Hanbalis and most of the Hanafi shaykhs – and it was also narrated by al-Hasan from Abu Haneefah – are of the view that the Sunnah is to complete the Qur’aan in Taraweeh prayer so that the people can hear the entire Qur’aan in that prayer. The Hanafis said: The Sunnah is to complete it once. So the imam should not forsake completing it because of the people’s laziness, rather he should recite ten verses or so in each rak’ah, and thus he will be able to complete it. (This is based on the assumption that he prays twenty rak’ahs each night.) And it was said that in each rak’ah thirty verses should be recited, because ‘Umar (may Allaah be pleased with him) enjoined that. In that case the Qur’aan can be completed three times in Ramadaan.

Al-Kaasaani said: What ‘Umar enjoined was by way of doing more of a good thing, which is to complete the Qur’aan more than once. This is what was suitable for their time. But in our time it is better for the imam to recite on the basis of the people’s situation; he should recite whatever will not put them off from joining the congregation, because increasing the size of the congregation is better than lengthening the recitation. End quote.

What al-Kaasaani said is good, and the imam should pay attention to the situation of the people behind him.

It is not permissible for the imam to put people off by making the prayer so long that it becomes difficult for them and to think that if he does not do that he has done badly! What he should do is to encourage the people to pray even if that is by making it shorter, so long as the prayer is complete.

It is better for the people to offer a short but complete prayer than not to pray at all.

Abu Dawood said: Ahmad ibn Hanbal was asked about a man who recited the Qur’aan twice in Ramadaan, leading the people in prayer. He said: In my view this depends on the people’s energy level, and whether there are workers among them.

The detailed ruling

I find the other rulings beneficial with regards to your question:

Is completing the Qur’aan in Ramadaan bid’ah? [Refer to the 2nd question]

They read Qur’aan before Taraaweeh prayer then complete it in the prayer

:wasalam:

Seeking Allah's Mercy

Qul HuwaAllahu Ahud!
Wasalamoalaikom wa rahmatullahi wa barakaatuhu . . .

I almost forgot about this thread. Jazakallah khair sister Aisya for the fatwas.

Sister ShahnaZz I need to correct what I wrote before.
I suppose you'll missing the reward of "reading" the words from the mushaf while you are reciting them in your prayers though.

According to the following hadith. You gain more reward by reciting quraan in the prayers than outside it.

narrated by Ayesha (ra):

“Recitation of the Holy Quran done during Salah is better than the Recitation of the Holy Quran outside of the Salah, and recitation of the Holy Quran without the Salah is better than Tasbeeh & Takbeer and Tasbeeh [Dhikr], [Dhikr] is better than Sadaqah. And Sadaqah is better than fasting and fasting is a shield against Hellfire.

Same hadith with different translations:

The Prophet (peace be upon him) said, "Reciting the Qur'an during prayer is more excellent than reciting it at other times, and reciting the Qur'an at a time other than during prayer is more excellent than extolling Allah and declaring His greatness. Extolling Allah is more excellent than sadaqah, sadaqah is more excellent than fasting, and fasting is a protection from Hell."

[Bayhaqi transmitted it in Shu'ab al-Iman.]

Al-Tirmidhi, Hadith 671

Wa `alaykum salaam wa rahmatullaahi wa barkaaatuh

Jazaakillaahu khairaa for having good thought about me- perhaps you held me in a much higher status than I deserve to be in. Nonetheless, may Allaah elevate your status in the Aakhirah and in the dunya.

Barakaallah fik akh, The members on TTI are dependant of the board of moderators and some members for answering our questions. It's very easy for us to expect you people would know the answer the moment they are asked. We give you the respect and status you (brothers and sisters) deserve Inshaa'Allaah.

Ameen to your duas. May Allaah raise you in ranks amongst the muttaqin and bless you with His mercy in duniya and akhira.

I actually, don't know the answer to the question. Inshaa'Allaah if someone finds a fatwa on this issue, they can share it. Will be interesting to know.

Just a wee bit of shock, But a very "human" trait all the same. Sister Aisya found us the relevent fatawas Alhumdulillah.

May Allaah preserve you all.

Wa alaikomAsalam.

Janaan

ربنا اغفر لنا ذنوبنا
Staff member
:salam2: and Ramadan Mubarak to everyone,

What normally happens is that throughout the month of Ramadan, the imam will complete the entire Quran in the Taraweeh prayers. Therefore, each rak'ah would last long because of how lengthy the initial surahs are. The board committee of the masjid felt that due to how late Isha has been, it would last way too long for the attendees and they asked the imam to recite small surahs (in no specific order) instead of attempting to finish the Quran. As a result, the rak'ahs are significantly shorter, but it also means that the Quran will not be completed at the masjid this Ramadan.

JazakAllah khair!

Coincidentally, this masjid near my house did a similar thing last year. Rather than finishing a Juz' each night, they cut it down to hizb. They said something about people 'needing to sleep early due to *work* in the morn.' subhanallah! They were still letting dunya get in the way of their `Ibaadah even in the Blessed month.

thariq2005

Praise be to Allah!
Just a wee bit of shock, But a very "human" trait all the same. Sister Aisya found us the relevent fatawas Alhumdulillah.

May Allaah preserve you all.

Wa alaikomAsalam.

Ain't really knowledgeable enough. So, don't be shocked- I don't really possess any knowledge- and this is no fake humbleness... just reality. Maa shaa'Allaah some of the members of the TTI board are very smart, wise and knowledgeable. May Allaah preserve them.

The last fatwa sister Aisya posted seems most relevant. BaarakAllaahu feehaa

slaveofAllah88

Slave of Allah (swt)
Ain't really knowledgeable enough. So, don't be shocked- I don't really possess any knowledge- and this is no fake humbleness... just reality. Maa shaa'Allaah some of the members of the TTI board are very smart, wise and knowledgeable. May Allaah preserve them.

The last fatwa sister Aisya posted seems most relevant. BaarakAllaahu feehaa

:salam2:
Tariq bhai i hope u dont mind me tossing another Question at u, if you are able to answer

if you read the Quran in arabic n translation which takes up time and is not allowing to finish the quran, is it better to just read the arabic and finish reading the quran ?

I do feel that reading the translation really helps one contemplate on message Allah (swt) is conveying to us

JazakAllah khair akhi

ShahnazZ

Striving2BeAStranger
JazakAllah khair to everyone for their responses. I now know that it's Sunnah to complete the Quran in taraweeh prayers and not Fard.

However, it seems harder to find an answer for my question about reading from the mushaf during prayer.

According to the following hadith. You gain more reward by reciting quraan in the prayers than outside it.

narrated by Ayesha (ra):

“Recitation of the Holy Quran done during Salah is better than the Recitation of the Holy Quran outside of the Salah, and recitation of the Holy Quran without the Salah is better than Tasbeeh & Takbeer and Tasbeeh [Dhikr], [Dhikr] is better than Sadaqah. And Sadaqah is better than fasting and fasting is a shield against Hellfire.

Same hadith with different translations:

The Prophet (peace be upon him) said, "Reciting the Qur'an during prayer is more excellent than reciting it at other times, and reciting the Qur'an at a time other than during prayer is more excellent than extolling Allah and declaring His greatness. Extolling Allah is more excellent than sadaqah, sadaqah is more excellent than fasting, and fasting is a protection from Hell."

[Bayhaqi transmitted it in Shu'ab al-Iman.]

Al-Tirmidhi, Hadith

Right, but if you're reading from the Mushaf while praying salah, I do believe you lose the hasanat you would get if you were reciting from memory and not the Mushaf. So your original comment was spot on.

if you read the Quran in arabic n translation which takes up time and is not allowing to finish the quran, is it better to just read the arabic and finish reading the quran ?

I do feel that reading the translation really helps one contemplate on message Allah (swt) is conveying to us

This is a good question as well and I usually find myself in the predicament. Despite the fact that it takes up more time, I usually feel more comfortable understanding what I'm reciting as I do believe Allah Subhanahu wa Ta'ala speaks to us through the Quran and if we don't understand the words, we dont know what He's saying to us.

Seeking Allah's Mercy

Qul HuwaAllahu Ahud!
Asalamaoalaikom wa rahmatullahi wa barakaatuhu. . .

JazakAllah khair to everyone for their responses. I now know that it's Sunnah to complete the Quran in taraweeh prayers and not Fard.

However, it seems harder to find an answer for my question about reading from the mushaf during prayer.
Right, but if you're reading from the Mushaf while praying salah, I do believe you lose the hasanat you would get if you were reciting from memory and not the Mushaf. So your original comment was spot on.

It's kind of easy answer *smile*. It's discouraged. Just read the fatwa a couple of days ago when I felt like reading something.

Here it is:

Praise be to Allaah.

It is better for him not to do that, and to listen attentively to the recitation of his imam.

Shaykh ‘Abd al-‘Azeez ibn Baaz (may Allaah have mercy on him) was asked: What is the ruling on the person praying behind the imam holding the Mushaf during Taraweeh prayers?

He replied:

I do not know of any basis for that. It seems that he should focus with proper humility and not hold the Mushaf, rather he should place his right hand over his left as is the Sunnah, placing the right hand over the left wrist and forearm and placing them over his chest. This is the most correct view and is best. Holding the Mushaf will distract him from these Sunnahs, and his heart and eyes may become busy following the words on the pages and that may distract him from listening to the imam. What I think is that not doing that is the Sunnah, and that he should listen attentively and not use the Mushaf. If he has knowledge he will be able to prompt his imam, otherwise others will prompt him. Then if it so happens that the imam makes a mistake and is not corrected, that does not matter, unless it is in Soorat al-Faatihah, rather it matters only in Soorat al-Faatihah, because al-Faatihah is a pillar of the prayer which is essential. But if he omits some verses other than al-Faatihah, that does not matter if there is no one behind him who can alert him to that. If someone holds the Mushaf to correct the imam in the case of necessity, then there is nothing wrong with that. But if each person holds a Mushaf, that is contrary to the Sunnah. End quote.

He was also asked (may Allaah have mercy on him):

And Allaah knows best.

Source

and this:

Holding the Mus-haf for this reason is contrary to the Sunnah, for several reasons:

1. It prevents a person from placing his right hand over his left when standing.

2.It leads to a lot of unnecessary movements, such as opening the Mus-haf, closing it, and placing it under one's arm.

3. These movements are very distracting to the worshipper.

4.It prevents the worshipper from looking at the place of sujood. Many scholars say that looking at the place of sujood is Sunnah and is better.

5. The one who does that may forget that he is in prayer, unless his heart is properly focused upon his being in prayer, unlike when he is standing in a humble and focused manner with his right hand upon his left, tilting his head towards the place of sujood. In this case he will be more likely to remember that he is praying and that he is behind the imaam.

From the fatwas of Shaykh Muhammad ibn Saalih al-‘Uthaymeen for al-Da’wah magazine, issue # 1771, p. 45

Source

This is a good question as well and I usually find myself in the predicament. Despite the fact that it takes up more time, I usually feel more comfortable understanding what I'm reciting as I do believe Allah Subhanahu wa Ta'ala speaks to us through the Quran and if we don't understand the words, we dont know what He's saying to us.

Strange that you should be discussing this now *smile*. I made a thread last night which is somewhat related.

ني لأعجب ممن قرأ القرآن ولم يعلم تأويله كيف يلتذ بقراءته؟

"I am amazed with one who recites the Qur’an and he does not learn its ta’weel (i.e. tafseer), how (then) will he taste the sweetness of his recitation?" [see 'Mu’jam al-Adbaa', 63/18]

Abu 'Abd-al Rahman Aslami said:

أخذنا القرآن عن قوم أخبرونا أنهم كانوا إذا تعلموا عشر آيات لم يجاوزوهن إلى العشر الأخر حتى يعلموا ما فيهن فكنا نتعلم القرآن والعمل به وسيرث القرآن بعدنا قوم يشربونه شرب الماء لا يجاوز تراقيهم

"We learned the Qur’an from some people who told us that they used to learn ten Ayaat of the Qur’an and never exceeded them; until they had understood their meaning and acted upon them; however, people who come after us, will inherit the Qur’an (i.e. read it) as one drinks water, but it will not pass their throats (i.e. they will not act upon it)." [Siyar a'laam an-Nubalaa' 4/269]

Ibn al-Qayyim said:
بالتدبر والتفكر فإنه جامع لجميع منازل السائرين واحوال العاملين ومقامات العارفين
There is nothing more beneficial for the heart than reading the Qur’an and with contemplation and reflection…

To read more: click here

Also in a very long narration I read:

The prophet Of Allaah :saw2: said:

we came across a man who was lying down, with another man standing over him, holding a big rock. He threw the rock at the man's head, smashing it. The rock rolled away, and the one who had thrown it followed it, and picked it up. By the time he came back to the man, his head had been restored to its former state. Then he (the one who had thrown the rock) did the same as he had done before. I said to my two companions, ‘Subhaan Allaah! Who are these two persons?’ They said, ‘Move on!’. . . . . . .I said to them, I have seen many wonders this night. What do all these things mean that I have seen?’ They said: ‘We will tell you. The first man you came across, whose head was being smashed with the rock, is the man who studies the Qur’aan then he neither recites it nor acts upon it, and he goes to sleep, neglecting the obligatory prayers. . .[until the end of the narration]

(narrated by Muslim)

@ Akhi thariq, Mashaa'Allah you are knowledgeable enough to help us out ~Alhumdulillah for that.

Just a Guy

Reinventing Myself
:salam2:

I'm not up to doing the long prayers yet.

Maybe next year, but that's a little too much for me right now, I think.

Abu Talib

Feeling low
Assalamu`alaykum Warahmatullahi Wabarakatu

Based on your question I had put forward this question to Sheikh Assim.

Q.Assalamu`alaykum

Is finishing Qur`aan in Taraweeh obligatory? If I were to attempt to complete it, is it okay to recite part of it during Taraweeh prayers and then part of it on my own (outside of prayer)? will this be counted as reading whole Qur`aan?

A. 1- No, it is not.

2- Yes.

3- Yes.

Yes it is permissible for you to read from the Mushaf in salaah.

ShahnazZ

Striving2BeAStranger
JazakAllah khair, Akh Abu Talib!

SeekingAllah'sMercy, thanks for the fatwas but they pertained more to a Muslim as part of a congregation and praying behind an imam. Also, the reason I brought up praying while holding the Mushaf is because my goal is to complete the Quran during and outside of Taraweeh and I don't have the entire Quran memorized. That's where the mushaf comes in. I've tried it a few times and it actually helps me focus on the meaning of the words better.

Seeking Allah's Mercy

Qul HuwaAllahu Ahud!

SeekingAllah'sMercy, thanks for the fatwas but they pertained more to a Muslim as part of a congregation and praying behind an imam. Also, the reason I brought up praying while holding the Mushaf is because my goal is to complete the Quran during and outside of Taraweeh and I don't have the entire Quran memorized. That's where the mushaf comes in. I've tried it a few times and it actually helps me focus on the meaning of the words better.

I know ukhty, I shared because it stressed upon following the sunnah of position of hands and all. But according to the view of sheikh akhi abu talib shared, it's fine Inshaa'Allaah

Abu Talib

Feeling low

Wa iyaak

Sister kindly clarify were you asking about holding mushaf while praying individually or when your behind the imaam?