NYPD monitored Muslim students all over Northeast

Sister Zohra

NEW YORK (AP) — The New York Police Department monitored Muslim college students far more broadly than previously known, at schools far beyond the city limits, including the elite Ivy League colleges of Yale and the University of Pennsylvania, The Associated Press has learned.

Police talked with local authorities about professors 300 miles (480 kilometers) away in Buffalo and even sent an undercover agent on a whitewater rafting trip, where he recorded students' names and noted in police intelligence files how many times they prayed.

Detectives trawled Muslim student websites every day and, although professors and students had not been accused of any wrongdoing, their names were recorded in reports prepared for Police Commissioner Raymond Kelly.

Asked about the monitoring, police spokesman Paul Browne provided a list of 12 people arrested or convicted on terrorism charges in the United States and abroad who had once been members of Muslim student associations, which the NYPD referred to as MSAs. Jesse Morton, who this month pleaded guilty to posting online threats against the creators of the animated TV show "South Park," had once tried to recruit followers at Stony Brook University on Long Island, Browne said.

"As a result, the NYPD deemed it prudent to get a better handle on what was occurring at MSAs," Browne said in an email. He said police monitored student websites and collected publicly available information, but did so only between 2006 and 2007.

"I see a violation of civil rights here," said Tanweer Haq, chaplain of the Muslim Student Association at Syracuse. "Nobody wants to be on the list of the FBI or the NYPD or whatever. Muslim students want to have their own lives, their own privacy and enjoy the same freedoms and opportunities that everybody else has."

In recent months, the AP has revealed secret programs the NYPD built with help from the CIA to monitor Muslims at the places where they eat, shop and worship. The AP also published details about how police placed undercover officers at Muslim student associations in colleges within the city limits; this revelation has outraged faculty and student groups.

Though the NYPD says it follows the same rules as the FBI, some of the NYPD's activities go beyond what the FBI is allowed to do.

Kelly and New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg repeatedly have said that the police only follow legitimate leads about suspected criminal activity.

But the latest documents mention no wrongdoing by any students.

In one report, an undercover officer describes accompanying 18 Muslim students from the City College of New York on a whitewater rafting trip in upstate New York on April 21, 2008. The officer noted the names of attendees who were officers of the Muslim Student Association.

"In addition to the regularly scheduled events (Rafting), the group prayed at least four times a day, and much of the conversation was spent discussing Islam and was religious in nature," the report says.

Praying five times a day is one of the core traditions of Islam.

Jawad Rasul, one of the students on the trip, said he was stunned that his name was included in the police report.

"It forces me to look around wherever I am now," Rasul said.

"What do they expect to find here?" Munir said. "These are all kids coming from rich families or good families, and they're just trying to make a living, have a good career, have a good college experience. It's a futile allocation of resources."
___
Online:
View the report at: http://apne.ws/zLpfdM

For the full article (source): http://news.yahoo.com/nypd-monitored-muslim-students-over-northeast-201653480.html

Seeking Allah's Mercy

Qul HuwaAllahu Ahud!
Asalamo`Alaykum Wa Rahmatullahi Wa Baarakaatuh,

So. . .Praying four times a day and discussing what interests you is. . .Suspicious? Oookay.

Then. . .What about those who pray more than four/five times a day? They are, well, I don't know how to say it politely *Shrugs*. It's really cool you know. Freedom. yeah.

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam walaikum,

Sister Seeking,

This is not a time to be coy. When the FBI follows you did it not occur to you that these students will have a very difficult if not impossible timing getting a job.
There are security and background clearances which will have a list of their names.

This is not about cute responses. This is about not having rights and liberties.

We hear about how Christians in Saudi Arabia have no right to worship..sister..what do you think this is..a Muslim has to make a choice between practicing his faith openly or having to hide his faith..

We have had members respond to how ill-tolerant the KSA is..just an observation.

helpinghumanity

Sister Zohra;551244 In one report said:
City College of New York[/B] on a whitewater rafting trip in upstate New York on April 21, 2008. The officer noted the names of attendees who were officers of the Muslim Student Association.

"In addition to the regularly scheduled events (Rafting), the group prayed at least four times a day, and much of the conversation was spent discussing Islam and was religious in nature," the report says.

So we are famous all over :)...Even NYPD and CIA recognizes us..hmm. Here is the picture of one of my friend/brother "Jawad Rasul" that appeared in the media. Currently he is a Khateeb of one of the masjid. He was not an engineering major..so guess what they would have been doing for brothers/sisters in sensitive field.

20120218__USNYPDIntelligence~1_GALLERY.jpg

This Thursday, Feb. 16, 2012 photo shows Jawad Rasul near the City College of New York where he is a student. Rasul s name ended up in a New York Police Department report after an undercover officer accompanied him and other Muslim students on a whitewater rafting trip in upstate New York. The New York Police Department monitored Muslim college students far more broadly than previously known, at schools far beyond the city limits, including the Ivy League colleges of Yale and the University of Pennsylvania, The Associated Press has learned. ((AP Photo/Ted Shaffrey))

Just to console all of you..

3_54.gif

And (the unbelievers) plotted and planned, and Allah too planned, and the best of planners is Allah.

Isn't it amazing that these spies do convert to islam as well..

Seeking Allah's Mercy

Qul HuwaAllahu Ahud!
So we are famous all over :)...Even NYPD and CIA recognizes us..hmm. Here is the picture of one of my friend/brother "Jawad Rasul" that appeared in the media. Currently he is a Khateeb of one of the masjid. He was not an engineering major..so guess what they would have been doing for brothers/sisters in sensitive field.

20120218__USNYPDIntelligence~1_GALLERY.jpg

Just to console all of you..

3_54.gif

Isn't it amazing that these spies do convert to islam as well..

Oh My Allaah! I'm really jealous Mr. Famous.

No, don't get all excited, I'm not jealous of you fame. It's you friend. A Khateeb Mashaa'Allaah. May Allah preserve all of you.

It must be really good being around such Slaves of Allaah. Inshaa'Allaah I'll get some around me. I'll show off too. In jannah, when me and my non-existent pious friends IRL get there Inshaa'Allaah.

You know, it's obvious why someone like him would be on the list. The guy has got all those characters of them, slaves of Allaah. He's mashaa'Allah got a beard. That's point one, He pray four times a day, that's point two. He's a khateeb, three. And four He talks Islam. Yeah he would have been on my list if I were one of those "things".

BaarakAllaahu feek. That ayah has always comforted me. That's the best part of being a Muslim Alhumdulillah.

helpinghumanity

Oh My Allaah! I'm really jealous Mr. Famous.

You know, it's obvious why someone like him would be on the list. The guy has got all those characters of them, slaves of Allaah. He's mashaa'Allah got a beard. That's point one, He pray four times a day, that's point two. He's a khateeb, three. And four He talks Islam. Yeah he would have been on my list if I were one of those "things".

Wa-alaikumus salam wa rahmatullahi wa barakatuhu,

It was my honor to be a member and an admin of Muslim Student Organization (MSO). Alhamdollillah it has produced and is still producing some great imams, teachers and Qaris. One of my best friend, Mohammad Almatil, who recently graduated in now teaching at Bayyinah Institute. This institute was opened by Noman Ali Khan. I have included one of his recitation below. He is one of many..alhamdolillah
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3YiMhTYQHFM&feature=related[/ame]

You may have noticed the sentence of **Praying four times a day**. These agents were somehow unable to spy during the fajr time. So they skipped it and only spied during zuhur, asr, Mugrib and Esha. lol..:)

Aziboy

Banned
I urge Muslim students all over Northeast to be more Islamic than ever....

This might be your opportunity for Dawah...

Live and Die as a firm Believer .... thats our Jihad