Pakistan struggles to contain Red Mosque fury

Abu Hannah

Slave of Allah
President Pervez Musharraf's regime sought to reassure Pakistan's Muslim clergy yesterday as the authorities tried to contain public anger over the siege of the Red Mosque.

Minor protests took place in cities across the country. The regime is braced for an Islamist backlash after commandos stormed the mosque and killed about 100 people.

Protesters burned effigies of Gen Musharraf and President George W Bush, shouting "Long live the martyrs" and "Musharraf killer".

Ijaz al-Haq, the minister of religious affairs and a key figure in the failed talks that preceded the assault on the mosque, said he was negotiating with Pakistan's clergy.

"The ulema [clergy] was disappointed with the breakdown of negotiations but they themselves had very little respect for the leaders of the Red Mosque," he said.

Mr al-Haq, the son of the former military dictator Gen Zia al-Haq, courted controversy when he said Britain's decision to knight the controversial novelist, Sir Salman Rushdie, justified suicide attacks. He later denied making the statement.

But yesterday Mr al-Haq said the knighthood was "not only a provocation but a slap in the face of the Muslim world".

As for the recent attempts to detonate car bombs in Britain, he said: "These affairs … can be expected after the knighting of such people."

In a recent TV broadcast, Mr al-Haq made a tearful defence of Pakistan's madrassas, or Muslim colleges, which have been labelled havens of extremism and centres of terrorist recruitment. Yesterday he sought to distance himself from the two clerics who led the mosque extremists.

"In March I realised that the two clerics were psychological patients," he said.

The number of women and children killed in the storming of the mosque is the subject of heated conjecture. Hospitals and morgues have been closed to journalists.

Mr al-Haq said no more than 250 people were inside the mosque at the time of the attack. The regime says 100 died, but reports in the local media accuse it of covering up the true number of civilian dead. They claim hundreds of women and children have been secretly buried.

Aapa

Mirajmom
Salaam,

I pray that Pakistani's never get over the Lal Masjid. There is no justificaiton for killing civilians. I wonder if the current regime is satisfied with the F-16's. In an article on www.antiwar.com I read that America does not trust Pakistan. I can write no more.

MOSABJA

Today Gov and army published the PHOTOS of FOREIGN TERRORIST???

Among that list there was a person from ATTOCK whose son was included in the list of foreigners .I think now gov is failing to defend it self and cannot prove the things which they said about red mosque i.e FOREIGNERS,TUNNELS,MINES,LAUNCHERS,100 PEOPLE DEAD,NO WOMEN CHILDREN AMONG DEAD,REFUGEES

ALL LIES ????

And more over the death toll in Waziristan has risen to 24 one other soldier was killed in BANNU that makes 25.Plus 15 who died in earlier attacks after Lal Masjid.That makes 40.

The peace treaty in Waziristan is also failing.The taliban gave deadline of 15 july to remove check posts.I think the na pak army has already paid a heavy price in waziristan and now they would be paying it again in WAZIRISTANS and BAJAUR,SWAT.This would FUEL the ongoing movement of LAWYERS and PAKISTANI PUBLIC against Busharraf.PLUS in case of fierce resistance the army discipline might also be damaged and could even force Mush out

IN LAHORE BAR ASSOCIATION THE LAWYERS offered FATEHA for ABDUL RASHEED GHAZI SHAHEED AND OTHERS MARTYRED IN ATTACK ,THEY ALSO SAID THAT ARMY SOLDIERS WERE NOT MARTYRED.

I saw a program of Dr Shahid Masud and in that program in the telephone calls and emails of public out of 21 opinions only 2 were against LAL MASJID AND ABDUL RASHEED GHAZI.

Aapa

Mirajmom
Salaam,

What is a surprise to me is the lack of knowledge that Pakistani's in the USA have of the events and a lack of interest.

Kayote

Salam,

If I heard and read right that Abdul Rasheed Ghazi did not let the women and children out and refused to let the boys out until his own safety, I cannot find any sympathy for him. Ofcourse, media being media, I am not sure I can trust ptv or geo news.

Salam