Question: Paying charity to non-muslim organizations

fatma_said

Asalamu alykum

I generally pay sadaqah to a muslim organization, however recently I was approached about giving to a non muslim organisation. It is a well known relief organisation UNHCR (united nations Refugee Agency). The one I have chosen is the UNHCR's Emergency Response which has been currently giving aid to Syria, Somalia and other countries In need. Is it preferable for Muslims to only pay sadaqah to fellow Muslims or can our aid also be for non Muslims in need?

Fi Amanillah

Hajjerr

He is Dhul-Jalali Wal-Ikram
Salam aleikum sister

UNHCR is a non-muslim organization but people donate ''through'' them, not ''to'' them...since they help with refugees from Syria and Somalia, where majority are muslims (if i read correctly) then you will be helping muslims in the end, no ?
Excuse me if i make a mistake, but this is what i understand.

However, i will also post a link to response from islamqa, so we know the rules on giving sadaqah: http://islamqa.info/en/ref/3854
One important thing:
Imaam al-Shaafa'i said: “There is nothing wrong with giving charity to a mushrik as a naafilah (supererogatory) action, but he has no right to charity from the obligatory (zakaah). Allaah praised people who, as He says (interpretation of the meaning): ‘… they give food, inspite of their love for it (or for the love of Him), to the Miskeen (the poor), the orphan, and the captive’ [al-Insaan 76:8].” (Kitaab al-Umm, part 2).

Mabsoot

Amir
Staff member
Asalamu alykum

I generally pay sadaqah to a muslim organization, however recently I was approached about giving to a non muslim organisation. It is a well known relief organisation UNHCR (united nations Refugee Agency). The one I have chosen is the UNHCR's Emergency Response which has been currently giving aid to Syria, Somalia and other countries In need. Is it preferable for Muslims to only pay sadaqah to fellow Muslims or can our aid also be for non Muslims in need?

Fi Amanillah

wa alaykum salam,

What sister Hajjerr said is correct.

It is fine to give to humanitarian organisations, some may even be a lot more effective due to being more established and experienced in providing help in disasters.

As Muslims we help everyone, no matter what their background might be

fatma_said

Jazakallahu khairan sister Hajjerr and brother Mabsoot for answering this question :) I forgot to check up on this thread. Inshallah i might keep on giving charity to this organization.