please help about breaking the fast

sky_012

:salam2:

i have a serious question
a friend of mine called me and told me that yesterday she wanted to fast, so the day before she put the alarm to get up , but i do't know why she couldn't get up , when she got up it was too late for fasting, and she was soo sad because she made the intention the night before that she will fast;
so when she got up, she prayed fajr and went back to sleep with then intention that even she didn't eat , she 'll still fast, but was hesitating because she has never fast without eating and if she tells her parents that she fast without eating , the ywon't be happy; but she still made the intention of fasting

when she got up again , she took her breakfast , as if she never made the intention , because she wasn't sure if a fast is valid without eating in the morning , so she ate

and nw she is deeply regreting , because she made the intention and she remembers it's a big big sin and want to repent , but is sooo upset

i had always heard , but i'm not sure if it is true, that the non obligatory fasts aren't valid if u don't get up at sehr to eat something and only during ramadhan if it happens by mistake that u couldn't get up, u can still fast

what can u suggest me to tell her? because she is so afraid of this major sin she did , and want to repent

:wasalam:

slave.of.AllahSW

AssalamoAlaikum wr wb,
I asked a mufti. he said tht it is wajib for her to make up for the fast (Qada). tht is all she has to do. since she broke her (Nafl) fast!

otherwise (in my opinion) tell my sister to just be careful next time. if she did make the intention tht she will keep the fast thn she should have kept it.
it is always best ( or better) to do sehri. but if like in her case she didnt wake up and then she decided to keep her fast, she can do so.

Jazakallahu khayrun
your sister in Islam

sky_012

Jazak Allah my sister for helping and taking the time to answer;

no she won't do it again , Inshallah because the voice she had, she was really upset , as she knows it's a major sin to break a fast ;

she will fast the rest of the ten days i think then i'll tell her to fast one more day after the eid to make up for the fast

jazak Allah again sister you really helped me May Allah SWT reward you Ameen

:wassalam:

sky_012

Assalam u Aleykum again sister,

i wanted to ask does he has to make up only one fast or more fasts? because i know when someone breaks a farz fast , he has to make up many more to be forgiven ,
the fasts she does are for hajj days
so does she has onl one to do or more?

Jazak Allah in advance for the help

:wassalam:

bemuslim

ANSWERING U QUESTION

Umm Hani reported that the Prophet, upon whom be peace, entered her room during the day of the conquest of Makkah. He was offered something to drink and he drank from it. Then he offered it to Umm Hani and she said: "I am fasting." The Prophet said: "The one who is fasting voluntarily is in charge of himself. If you wish you may fast and if you wish you may break your fast." This is recounted by Ahmad, ad-Daraqutni, and alBaihaqi. Al-Hakim also related it and said that its chain is sahih. The version he recorded states: "And if one wishes he may fast and if he wishes he may break his fast."

Abu Juhaifah said: "The Prophet established the bond of brotherhood between Salman and Abu ad-Darda. Once, Salman visited Abu ad-Darda and saw Umm ad-Darda wearing very plain clothes. He said to her: 'What's happening to you?' She said: 'Your brother Abu ad-Darda has no need in this world.' When Abu adDarda came, he prepared some food for Salman and said: 'Eat, for I am fasting.' Salman said: 'I shall not eat until you eat.' So he ate. When it was night, Abu ad-Darda got up to pray and Salman said, 'Sleep,' and he did so. Toward the end of the night Salman woke Abu ad-Darda and said, Pray now.' And they prayed. Salman told him: 'Your Lord has a right upon you, you have a right upon yourself, and so does your wife. Give each one its due right.' Abu adDarda went to the Prophet and told him what Salman had said. The Prophet said: 'Salman has said the truth.' " This is related by al-Bukhari and at-Tirmizhi.

Abu Sa'id al-Khudri said: "I prepared food for the Prophet. He came to me with some of his companions. When the food was laid out, one of the men said: 'I am fasting.' The Messenger of Allah said: 'Your brother has invited you and incurred expenses in your behalf.' Then he asked [him], Break your fast and fast another day in its place if you wish.' " This is related by al-Baihaqi. Al-Hafizh says it has a hassan chain.

Most scholars maintain that one who is performing a voluntary fast can break it. It is, however, preferred to make up that day later on. The preceding view is clear and authentic hadith are support for that position.

DEAR BROTHERS AND SISTERS

IF U WOULD LIKE TO KNOW ANY THING RELATED TO FIQH MATTERS

JUST CLICK ON http://www.usc.edu/dept/MSA/law/fiqhussunnah/fusintro.html

slave.of.AllahSW

AssalamoAlaikum wr wb,
sister... as far as I know and wht I got from the mufti is that your friend has to make up for only 1 fast, for the one she broke. and she can do it whenever in her life time. it is wajib now for her to make up for tht fast. ofcourse, the sooner the better.

Jazakallahu khayrun
your sister in Islam

NewMuslim

Slave of Allah
AssalamoAlaikum wr wb,
sister... as far as I know and wht I got from the mufti is that your friend has to make up for only 1 fast, for the one she broke. and she can do it whenever in her life time. it is wajib now for her to make up for tht fast. ofcourse, the sooner the better.

Jazakallahu khayrun
your sister in Islam

It looks like the Hadith outrules the Mufti's Fatwa. Does the Mufti have any support for his Fatwa (in Hadith or the Qur'an)?

slave.of.AllahSW

It looks like the Hadith outrules the Mufti's Fatwa. Does the Mufti have any support for his Fatwa (in Hadith or the Qur'an)?

brother I think you should do a little research before commenting on Muftis or their fatwas.

Anyways... it is a matter of difference in opinion amoung the Imaams. It is the correct ruling according to fiqh Hanafiya. According to Imaam Abu Hanifa (RA) and his students, If you START a nafli Ibadat (voluntary Ibadat) and you break it, discontinue it for any reason. It is WAJIB on you to make up for it.

According to other Imaams it is NOT wajib, but it is PREFERRED to make up for it.

InshaAllah I will try my best to detail information on this fatwah.

as for sister who asked this question. it is up to her to follow which ever Madhab she likes to follow.

Jazakallahu khayrun.

:salam2: If the intention was made at night or even at fajr time you can keep the fast without eating. It is good to eat before you fast but it is not wajib.

msameer

Brothers and sisters!

There is noting to be so worked up about. First of all it is the sister's taqwa that is making her regret her actions. Second, since it was an optional fast, It cannot be counted as a sin if you break it! Finally, she can fast on the next possible oppurtunity and make up.

Remember, Allah does not put unnecessasary burden on his slaves.

slave.of.AllahSW

Basicofislam... If the intention was made at night or even at fajr time you can keep the fast without eating. It is good to eat before you fast but it is not wajib.

AssalamoAlaikum wr wb,
I dont mean to start a debate here. Im just going to clear my point. If you brother and sisters read it carefully, neither did I state or the mufti told me that it is wajib to keep the fast. it is a VOLUNTARY (NAFL) fast. thus it is NOT WAJIB to keep it. but according to fiqh Hanafiya, like I stated before.... IF you do START your fast and then break it. (not saying it is a sin or not) it then becomes WAJIB to make up for it later on.
I cannot clear my point any more than this. and yes it is matter of difference in opinion amoung scholars. so if the sisters follows Fiqh Hanafiya. she SHOULD make up for the fast. if she follows others than it is better (PREFERRED) NOT WAJIB to make up for it.

I hope we can drop this topic here and dont turn this into a debate. I stated according to my fiqh. just like others stated according to their fiqh. I am NOT saying others are wrong. it is simply a matter of what sister wants to follow. I was just trying to help. I guess I should have checked with scholars of all Madhab before posting her an answer. btw, you may ask any scholar of fiqh Hanafiya. they will have same answer as mine. The differnece in opinion amoung the four Imaams is considered REHMAT (blessing) amoung scholars. as it keeps ALL sunnahs of our beloved Prophet :saw: ALIVE. Which ever came from Rasul Allah :saw: (according to scholars).We should not argue over them or try to make one school of thought look better than the other. all of the four Imaams were Tabe'een and tabe' Tabe'een. and Alhumdulillah people of very very high Taqwah. like brother Mabsoot wrote in one of his articles about scholars that the actual scholars have devoted all of their life in studying Quran and sunnah. All of them give daleel to back their opinion/rulings. it is Ijtehaad amoung the Imaams and their students that one should follow which ever school of thought he/she likes. we should not pick and choose between their fiqh, as in which ever is more comfortable for us to follows at the moment/ in situation. Because then we will be following our Naffs. which is not permissible by Quran and Sunnah. and for that matter by any of the four Imaams.and Allah swt knows best!

( also would like to say... I think that most of brothers and sisters here are following Shaa'fi school of thought. and when I give answer according to Hanafi madhab. it creates confusion and debate in most cases. I apologize for the confusion, but I think everyone here should do alittle more research before we comment on each other. and InshaAllah I will be more careful and try to get answers from shaa'fi school of thought next time. :) )

Jazakallahu khayrun.
your sister in Islam

sky_012

Assalam U Alikum
Jazak Allah for your replies , i just wanted to say that it sounds more logical that it becomes wajib to make up the missed fast, because even if it is a nafl fast, when you engage yourself into something especially into something for Allah SWT, you have to follow some rules, and even if it not obligatory, it shouldn't be broken without any valid reason , and if the person isn't sure if he can keep it the whole day, then he shouldn't fast, it's like when you pray nafl prayers , you can't stop in the middle just because they are nafl .....

but i surely learnt a lot and about beeing more carefull , because a thing you do to gain good points shouldn't be transformed into a sin etc...and should be done according to some rules which are under Allah SWT commendments , we don't have the right to break something saying because it was something optionnal

WalaAlam

waleikum Salam

again Jazak Allah for you valuable help MAy Allah Reward you Ameen

Waleikum Salam

NewMuslim

Slave of Allah
So that question's answered...But what about if you don't wake up early enough to eat/pray Fajr? I know you can still pray Fajr late with a legitmate excuse, but what about the [voluntary] fast?

bemuslim

answering u question

Praise be to Allaah.

Making up missed Ramadaan fasts is obligatory, and it is not permissible for a person to break such a fast unless there is a legitimate shar’i reason. If a person starts to make up a missed fast, then he must complete it. He is not like one who is observing a naafil fast, because in that case he is in charge of the matter; if he wishes he may break his fast and if he wishes he may continue it.

It was narrated that Umm Hani’ (may Allaah be pleased with her) said: “O Messenger of Allaah, I broke my fast when I was fasting.” He said to her: “Were you making up anything?” She said: No.” He said: “Then it does not matter if you were observing a voluntary fast.” Narrated by Abu Dawood, 2456. Classed as saheeh by al-Albaani. This indicates that it would matter if she broke her fast when observing an obligatory fast. What is meant by “it would matter” here is that it would be a sin.

With regard to what happened between you, the expiation for intercourse is only required in the case of intercourse during the day in Ramadaan itself. Based on this you do not have to do anything, and all she is required to do is to make that day up again. And you (both) have to repent to Allaah and resolve not to do such a thing again.

Ibn Rushd said: The majority are agreed that no expiation is required for deliberately breaking a fast observed to make up a missed Ramadaan fast, because it does not come under the same category with regard to sanctity of time, i.e., Ramadaan.

Bidaayat al-Mujtahid, 2/80

It says in Fataawa al-Lajnah al-Daa’imah, 10/352: Expiation is only required of one who has intercourse during the day in Ramadaan because of the sanctity of that time. With regard to a fast observed to make up for a missed fast, no expiation is required, according to the more sound of the two scholarly opinions.