Popular names from subcontinent to be avoided

Ibn Uthaymin

@Ibn Uthaymin

Brother do you read arabic? I did a bit of research here. Well this is a very good website for names. You can know the meanings, know whether it's a male/female name and you can know the name's origin.

Here is for Ubaidah:
http://www.alnaddy.com/names/21389_عبيدة.html

Hehe, I can read but not fully understand. The "Tasgheer" made me excited lol.

This is what brother Ayman told me. Uthman becomes Uthaymeen, Umar becomes Umayr. There is some Arabic grammar I really like reading, although it takes some time to grasp.

Another one is the common nickname 'mani', used for names like `Uthmaan (no I don't call my son Mani!), `Imraan, Armaan (Persian) and any name containing man/maan ... As you're probably aware, it means semen.

:SMILY303:

abu'muhammad

Good to know. Maybe her name is the second choice. But she should have told us that.

Assalaamu alaykum,

May be,yes. other thing that may be The difference lies in Pakistani ascent and tone, that is what I infer. Like if they want to speak ‘you’ they would say ‘tenu’. Indians would say ‘tune’.One word two pronunciations with same meaning.

Generally some pakistani speak naturally in hype tone i.e can’t murmer lol.

Ibn Uthaymin

Assalaamu alaykum,

May be,yes. other thing that may be The difference lies in Pakistani ascent and tone, that is what I infer. Like if they want to speak ‘you’ they would say ‘tenu’. Indians would say ‘tune’.One word two pronunciations with same meaning.

Generally some pakistani speak naturally in hype tone i.e can’t murmer lol.

Brother your font is too too small.

Seeking Allah's Mercy

Qul HuwaAllahu Ahud!
As-salaamu `alaykum

Two points. The Bengali's names are usually completed in their surnames, however, most of the time they still err in adding the Alif-Laam to the first name instead of the second. This seems really strange when you understand Arabic and hear that people are named Noorur and Noorul instead of Noor! Or Fadlur instead of Fadl. In most cases, the ur/ul is the prefix to Rahman! I have some Bengali friends who can't find the meanings of their names because of this lol.

The other thing, those who have the name Akhtar, then as far as I'm aware, there is a Persian name of a different meaning which sounds like the Arabic superlative form of dangerous (akhtar).

:salam2:wa rahmatullahi wa barakatuhu.

i'm not sure what Akhtar means in persian but in pushto it means Eid so is sometimes used for happiness too.

abubaseer

tanzil.info
Staff member
:salam2:

One more very popular name, usually given to females. Sometimes given to males too...

Arshi -> depending on how it is interpreted might mean "My Arsh" or From Arsh or someone who is attributed to 'arsh.

There is only Allah on 'Arsh. And Highness, that of being high above the creation is one of the attributes of Allah Alone.

Ibn Uthaymin

Oh Brother Abu Baseer is right.

What about these names: Gulaam Mustafa, Gullaaam Rabbani, Gulaam Boksh? Doesnt Gulaam mean slave?

revert2007

Love Fishing
Assalamualikum.
Abdul Kalam- Slave of talking or slave of pen?
And the servant of my Apartment building has the name Abdul Nabi-Slave of Nabi..BUt I usually address him as Abudabi :D

ilyas_eh

Used to be active here!
Assalamualikum.
Abdul Kalam- Slave of talking or slave of pen?
And the servant of my Apartment building has the name Abdul Nabi-Slave of Nabi..BUt I usually address him as Abudabi :D

wa alaykkum assalaam..

LOL. :)

the way we pronounce it is 'Abdul Kalaam'. but not sure what it means.. :p

abubaseer

tanzil.info
Staff member

Abdul Kalaam

Thats the name of famous Indian Nuclear Scientist and Former President of India.

:wasalam:

ilyas_eh

Used to be active here!
wa alykkum salaam.

yes. a famous scientist and very famous among children.
(a trivial and less known fact is that he has an elder brother, a pious person (Allah knows what he conceals), who didnt accept Abdul Kalaam's offer to live in president's home and continued to live in his humble home. By Allah, if you see him you wont believe he is a relative of the president of india. Subhan Allah)

coming to the point, can anyone tell me what does 'Abdul Kalaam' mean? (just curious)

al-muslimah

Abdul Kalam actually means "The Slave of Talking".

Okay so me asking now. How can one be a slave of "talking". Thats nonsense. Like we are all slave of Allah. Is it actually allowed in Islam to have that name?

Kakorot

Lets have a post of names popularly given by Muslims in the subcontinent. which have incorrect/funny meanings.

InshaAllah the thread will be beneficial in a way that people will avoid giving these names to their Children.

Male Name: Kaif meaning "How"
Female Name: Saaniyah/Thaaniyah meaning "The Second One"
Female Name:Nisa meaning "Women"
Female Name: Iqra means Read!

My cousin sister had a baby boy recently. They named him Ameen 'Alameen. Apparently this name was recommended by some bengali 'scholar' lol.

faaraa

Nothing but Muslimah

Funny thread...:lol::lol:

You see my Arabic teacher told us that, RANA is a common name used almost all over the country..(I mean Sri Lanka), for girls..
and he said, RANA means THE ONE WHO RINGS THE BELL:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

FEE AMANILLAH:hearts:

your-sister

I still have more.

Elephants are mentioned in the Quran, does that mean I can name my daughter/son with that name?

Apparently according to some people, you can. Not sure about the exact animal you mentioned though. But I've come across a brother named 'Asad', meaning Lion. Lol Subhanak!

PS. Brother wannabemuslim, I believe the correct term in Arabic for water would be, Maa'..or is it not?

your-sister

Oh Brother Abu Baseer is right.

What about these names: Gulaam Mustafa, Gullaaam Rabbani, Gulaam Boksh? Doesnt Gulaam mean slave?

I just read an article and it said that Ghulaam is a Persian/Urdu word which means the same as 'abd in Arabic.

Ghulaam in Arabic actually means 'boy/young boy'. There are several ayaahs in the Qur'an that mention it. One in particular that I can remember is in Surat Yusuf, 'Qaala yaa bushraa haadhaa ghulaam' - "...He said, what good news! Here's a Boy!"
Another in surat Kahf, 'wa amma-al-ghulaamu fakaana abawaahu..' - "And as for the Boy, his parents were believers.."

And also the hadeeth in which the prophet says, 'ya ghulaam(forgot the Arabic words for the next part, but next comes...), wa kul bi yamiinik wa kul mimmaa yaliik' - "O' boy! Mention the name of Allaah and eat with your right(hand) and eat what is nearer to you"(Bukhaari)