Popular names from subcontinent to be avoided

Janaan

ربنا اغفر لنا ذنوبنا
Staff member
^Sister, the words you're looking for(regarding the missing Arabic in the hadeeth) is, I believe, "Sammi Bismillaah"... Feel free to correct me anyone, insha'Allah.

P.S for anyone interested, there are two great threads concerning Islamic names that'd be of benefit to those that have doubts on the usage of such and such names(Arabic names)..
Can't link them 'cause I'm on my phone but if you just scroll all the way down of this very page, there's a little list of 'similar' threads and I was referring to the ones by either Amirah08 or Idris.. They both contain the same info but uh, the brother can go check out Idris's and the sisters, Amirahs' since hers is in a girly-ish color and it suites you well.:)

kashif_nazeer

~~~Alhamdulillah~~~
:salam2:

Akhter in Persian means a moon or a star,I guess.
The other day I was watching news and somebody with the name Ibleeso Beghum came up..I was like :eek: seriously?

:wasalam:

your-sister

^LOL! Ibleeso..what?! Subhanallah! What language is the last name btw..?

Sis suhaanah..Yep, thanks! 'twas something along the lines of that(sammi bismillaah)..
And btw, I read the thread you suggested. No not Amirah's..i read Idris's cos the pink color hurt my eyes..^_^
Oh and according to that thread, "Animal" names are allowed! Wow.. That was fairly new to me. Oh and names ending in '..Deen'(Kamaaluddeen, Sabeehuddeen, etc) are makrooh.

I have an uncle whose name is Ba7ar, meaning Ocean in Arabic.lol
And a sister-in-law named 7ilwah, meaning sweets in Arabic.

your-sister

^Subhaanak! I hope he's not a Muslim

I've met sisters by the name of 3inab(Grape), Zaytoon(Olive), Tuffa7(Apple) and Burtuqaal-though her's was spelt burtukhan/l(Orange),lol. It would've been alot funnier if they were siblings though.

muslim56

Human Being
There is a funny story concerning how the egyptians pronounce the letters 'qaf' as 'aaf'. This is how it goes:

One time, a teacher was asking a new student what his name was. The boy, talking the egyptian dialect, said his name was Assim. The teacher explained to the boy how the way he pronounced his name was wrong and that the correct way to pronounce the name was Qassim since he was supposed to add 'qaf' in place of 'aaf'. When the teacher went to the next boy and asked what his name was, the boy said Qahmed.:biggrin:

muslimshabs

One more very popular name, usually given to females. Sometimes given to males too...

Arshi -> depending on how it is interpreted might mean "My Arsh" or From Arsh or someone who is attributed to 'arsh.

There is only Allah on 'Arsh. And Highness, that of being high above the creation is one of the attributes of Allah Alone.

Asalamu alaikum...

LOL... funny but very informative...

What about the name "Arsheed"
?????

PeacefulHumanity

:)Smile! It's Sunnah
^Subhaanak! I hope he's not a Muslim

I've met sisters by the name of 3inab(Grape), Zaytoon(Olive), Tuffa7(Apple) and Burtuqaal-though her's was spelt burtukhan/l(Orange),lol. It would've been alot funnier if they were siblings though.

I'd rather be called a fruit, than some of the other names here.

Al-Kashmiri

Staff member
Ah, this thread is classic! The practice of putting your finger one the Qur'an to form a name is mind-boggling but rampant. I know people who have done that and landed with shirky names for their children! Walâ hawla walâ quwwata illa billâh...

sabs1164

AmatuLLaH
There is a funny story concerning how the egyptians pronounce the letters 'qaf' as 'aaf'. This is how it goes:

One time, a teacher was asking a new student what his name was. The boy, talking the egyptian dialect, said his name was Assim. The teacher explained to the boy how the way he pronounced his name was wrong and that the correct way to pronounce the name was Qassim since he was supposed to add 'qaf' in place of 'aaf'. When the teacher went to the next boy and asked what his name was, the boy said Qahmed.:biggrin:

LOL!!!!!!!!!!
very funny.
ALLAH Protect
:wasalam:

Mujaddid Ibn Abdullah

Obviosuly should AVOID this name : "Shahenshah", it's means The king of all kings. only ALLAH is the KING of all kings.

Abu Hurairah (May Allah be pleased with him) said: The Prophet (PBUH) said, "The most
disgraceful man near Allah is a man who calls himself (or likes others to call him) Malikul-Amlak (i.e., king of kings).'' [Al-Bukhari and Muslim].

Sufyan Ibn Uyaynah said, Maikul Amlak is the other name of Shahensha.

Janaan

ربنا اغفر لنا ذنوبنا
Staff member
^That is a huge name, both in meaning and in words. I've never heard of anyone with such name.

Mabsoot

Amir
Staff member
Kashif - meaning the person who uncovers - kashafa - to uncover.

Zeeshan - the one who has sha'n - prestige.

- i know a Lebanese Arab family, there are three sisters with the names: Safa, Marwa and Zamzam!

Janaan

ربنا اغفر لنا ذنوبنا
Staff member
^^That's so funny subhaanallaah! Parents these days are really competing on who can come with the most 'unique' names!

Don't know if I mentioned this before but I knew two boys that were named Muslim and Bukhaari.

There was a guy from the subcontinents whose name was Haatif, which means 'Phone' I believe.

Janaan

ربنا اغفر لنا ذنوبنا
Staff member
I saw a sister named Shurooq today, meaning Sunrise... how strange.