Practical Hajj Guide

Abu Sarah

Allahu Akbar
Staff member
bismallah.gif

In the Name of Allâh, the Most Beneficent, the Most Merciful

Practical Hajj Guide

Sheikh Younus Kathrada is a graduate of the Islamic University of Madinah in Saudi Arabia. He has been involved in grassroots da’wah with the Muslim community of Canada, and of BC in particular, for the last 15 years. He has presented many topics on Islaam at Universities in BC and Alberta for Islaam Awareness Week, and also presents "Introduction to Islam" courses for high school and middle school students. He is currently (acting) Imam at the Mosque in Victoria (Masjid al-Iman) and was previously Imam of an Islaamic centre in Vancouver. He is also the founder and teacher of al Madinah Academy in Victoria, B.C.

• Supplication for Travel
  • Introduction
  • To Start
  • The Righteous Hajj Part 1 (Tawheed)
  • The Righteous Hajj Part 2 (Salaah)
  • The Righteous Hajj Part 3 (Provisions)
  • The Righteous Hajj Part 4 (Character)
  • The Righteous Hajj Part 5 (Patience)
  • Step by Step Description of Hajj 1 (Mawaqeet)
  • Step by Step Description of Hajj 2 (Types of Hajj)
  • Step by Step Description of Hajj 3 (Talbiyah)
  • Step by Step Description of Hajj 4 (The Best Pilgrims)
  • Step by Step Description of Hajj 5 (Ihraam)
  • Step by Step Description of Hajj 6 (Women)
  • Step by Step Description of Hajj 7 (Haram)
  • Step by Step Description of Hajj 8 (Entering Makkah)
  • Description of ‘Umrah 1 - Tawaaf
  • Description of ‘Umrah 2 - Dua during Tawaaf
  • Description of ‘Umrah 3 - Salaah behind maqaam of Ibraaheem
  • Description of ‘Umrah 4 - Saee
  • Pillars and Obligations of Hajj and 'Umrah
  • Performing the Hajj 1 - Eighth Thul Hijjah (1st Day of Hajj)
  • Performing the Hajj 2 - Ninth Thul Hijjah (2nd day of Hajj)
  • Performing the Hajj 3 - Tenth Thul Hijjah (3rd Day of Hajj, the Day of ‘Eid)
  • Performing the Hajj 4 - Eleventh Thul Hijjah (4th Day of Hajj)
  • Performing the Hajj 5 - Twelfth Thul Hijjah (5th Day of Hajj)
  • Performing the Hajj 6 - Thirteenth Thul Hijjah (6th Day of Hajj)
  • Means of Attaining Rewards
  • Our need for dua
  • Some Words of Remembrance and Supplications
  • Visiting the Masjid (Mosque) of the Prophet (sallallaahu ‘alayhi wa sallam)

Abu Sarah

Allahu Akbar
Staff member
Supplication for Travel

Supplication for Travel

attachment.php

Allaah is the greatest, Allaah is the greatest, Allaah is the greatest, How perfect He is, The One Who has placed this (transport) at our service, and we ourselves would not have been capable of that, and to our Lord if our final destiny. O Allaah, we ask You for birr (righteousness) and taqwaa (piety) in this journey of ours, and we ask You for deeds which please You. O Allaah, facilitate our journey and let us cover its distance quickly. O Allaah, You are The Companion on the journey and The Successor over the family, O Allaah, I take refuge with You from the difficulties of travel, from having a change of heart and being in a bad predicament, and I take refuge in You from an ill fated outcome with wealth and family. …upon returning the same supplication is recited with the following addition: We return, repent, worship and praise our Lord. [reported by Muslim]

Attachments

• 090-198.gif
    090-198.gif
    12.5 KB · Views: 569

Abu Sarah

Allahu Akbar
Staff member
Introduction

Introduction

All praise is due to Allaah, an abundant beautiful blessed praise as our Lord loves and is pleased with. And may He send prayers and salutations upon His Prophet Muhammad, his household and those who follow in his footsteps.

To proceed:

In response to the saying of Allaah:​

3_97.png

(which means): “And [due] to Allaah from the people is a pilgrimage to the House – for whoever is able to find thereto a way.” (Al Qur'aan - 'Ali 'Imraan, 3:97)

and the saying of His Prophet (sallallaahu ‘alayhi wa sallam): “Learn your rites from me.” And his saying: “Whoever performs Hajj and does not commit any obscenity or commit any evil will go back (free of) sin as on the day his mother bore him.” and in the hope of spreading knowledge from which one may attain reward as in the hadeeth: “When the son of Adam dies, his deeds come to an end apart from three: sadaqah jaariyah (ongoing charity); beneficial knowledge; or a righteous child who will make du’aa (supplicate) for him.”, I would like to present to you dear pilgrim, these scented words as a kind gesture to my fellow Muslim brethren. In this booklet, you will find what is required of the pilgrim during the Hajj as prescribed by Allaah and His Messenger Muhammad (sallallaahu ‘alayhi wa sallam).

The work before you, in the English language, has been adapted from a work entitled “al Minhaaj fee Yawmiyyaat al Haaj” which was compiled and prepared by Sh. Khalid ibn Abdillah an-Nasir.

May Allaah benefit the Muslims through this work and reward with good those who gathered and put this valuable material together.

To Start

Dear Muslim, know that deeds will only be accepted if two conditions are met, they are: al-Ikhlaas (sincerity of intention) and al-Ittibaa’ (adherence to the sunnah).
Allaah says:
18_110.png

(which means): “So whoever would hope for the meeting with his Lord – let him do righteous work and not associate in the worship of his Lord anyone." (18:110)

And the Prophet (sallallaahu ‘alayhi wa sallam) said: "Actions are but by intentions and every man shall have only that which he intended.”
(al-Bukhaari and Muslim)

He also said: “Whoever does an action which is not sanctioned by me, it will be rejected”. (Muslim)

And he said: “I have left with you two matters which if you were to adhere to them you would never go astray after me; the Book of Allaah and my sunnah.” (al-Haakim, al-Bayhaqi)
Be grateful to Allaah that He has made it possible for you to undertake the journey towards the Ancient House which is the most beloved of places on the earth to Allaah. Ponder over this and appreciate it!

Abu Sarah

Allahu Akbar
Staff member
The Righteous Hajj Part 1 (Tawheed)

The Messenger of Allaah (sallallaahu ‘alayhi wa sallam) said: “And there is no reward for al-Hajj al-Mabroor (the accepted/righteous Hajj) except Jannah (paradise)”. (Agreed upon)

Dear Pilgrim: May Allaah grant you every good. Do you want your Hajj to be accepted?!

In that case, place the following two questions before you and be honest and sincere in your response!

1. How can your Hajj be performed in accordance with the guidance of the Prophet (sallallaahu ‘alayhi wa sallam)?

2. How can you protect it so it will be accepted and not be rejected/wiped out?
You may be surprised by this introduction, but let me say that very often we find pilgrims who enter the state of ihram (The sacred state of practicing great self-denial into which a Muslim must enter before performing Hajj or ‘Umrah), however, they do not seem to realize that they have entered an act of worship. An act which requires them to abstain from the prohibitions of Allaah and thus they must be well aware of the guidance of the Prophet (sallallaahu ‘alayhi wa sallam) regarding it. As a result of this, many come out of the Hajj unchanged (i.e. they do not abandon bad habits they had prior to the Hajj) and this is a practical sign that their Hajj was incomplete, if not unacceptable, may Allaah forbid.

Thus, there are several matters you need to be aware of and practice:
At-Tawheed First and Last

“Labbaika laa Shareeka Lak”- Here I am at Your service (O Allaah), You have no Partner.

Dear Pilgrim, you enter into the state of ihram and proceed towards Makkah chanting these words which indicate the Oneness and Uniqueness of Allaah.

Therefore, you must clearly realize the meaning of these words in all your sayings and actions (outwardly as well as inwardly). You must glorify and exalt Allaah above all things, attach your heart to Him and direct each and every form of worship only towards Him alone. So you place your trust in Him completely, you fill your heart with love for Him, you turn to Him for all your needs, you pray, bow and prostrate only to Him, and you give charity, offer sacrifices and take oaths only in His name. Know that no “saint”, prophet or angel can help you. Be aware that Allaah is to be loved more than anyone or anything. Allaah is the Creator and He controls and manages all affairs.

Allaah says:
6_162.png
6_163.png

(which means)

Say, "Indeed, my prayer, my rites of sacrifice, my living and my dying are for Allah, Lord of the worlds. No partner has He. And this I have been commanded, and I am the first [among you] of the Muslims." (6:162-163)

Whomsoever Allaah wills good for, He opens for them the door to humility, humbleness and poverty before Him. So one should feel that they are indeed poor, worthless and helpless before Allaah. We should rely on His Mercy, realizing that if not for His mercy, we would be doomed. We are totally dependant on Allaah while He is free of all needs.

Know also that glorifying Allaah means that you also glorify His commands and prohibitions. Allaah says within the context of the verses on Hajj:
2_197.png

(which means): Hajj is [during] well-known months, so whoever has made Hajj obligatory upon himself therein [by entering the state of ihram], there is [to be for him] no sexual relations and no disobedience and no disputing during Hajj. And whatever good you do – Allaah knows it. And take provisions, but indeed, the best provision is fear of Allaah. And fear Me, O you of understanding. (2:197)

So Allaah has forbidden you from three things: no rafath (sexual relations as well as lewd speech and actions), no fusooq (no sins/disobedience in general) and no disputing/arguing. He then commanded you to fear Him (i.e. keep your duty to Him), therefore, strive to do as you’ve been commanded and abstain from that which He has forbidden for you and you will be successful Inshaa Allaah.

And know-may Allaah guide you to his obedience- that you should perform the Hajj while exalting, glorifying and praising Allaah and feeling humble and needy before the Lord of the worlds.

The Righteous Hajj Part 2 (Salaah)

Establishing the Salaah
Allaah says:
98_5.png

(which means):

And they were not commanded except to worship Allaah, [being] sincere to Him in religion, inclining to truth, and to establish prayer and to give zakah. And that is the correct religion. (98:5)

He also says:
14_31.png

(which means):

[O Muhammad], tell My servants who have believed to establish prayer (14:31)
The salaah (five daily, formal prayers) is the most important pillar of Islaam after the Shahaadah (testimony of faith). It is the greatest symbol of tawheed and a distinguishing factor between Islaam and disbelief. It is the backbone of the religion and the first matter about which one will be questioned on the Day of Resurrection. Neither zakaah, nor fasting nor Hajj, nor charity nor any good deed will be accepted from the one who does not establish the five daily prayers as prescribed and at their appointed times.

Allaah says:
9_54.png

(which means):

And what prevents their expenditures from being accepted from them but that they have disbelieved in Allaah and in His Messenger and that they come not to prayer except while they are lazy and that they do not spend except while they are unwilling. (9:54)

The Prophet (sallallaahu ‘alayhi wa sallam) said: “Between a person and kufr and shirk is the abandonment of prayer.” (Muslim)

So it is incumbent upon every Muslim (male and female) to safeguard the five daily prayers and learn how to offer them as offered by the Prophet (sallallaahu ‘alayhi wa sallam) for he himself said: “Pray as you have seen me praying.” (al Bukhaari)
One also needs to strive so as to offer these prayers while being humble and focused, with presence of mind.

Allaah says:
23_1.png
23_2.png

(which means):

Certainly will the believers have succeeded:

They who are during their prayer humbly submissive (23:1-2)

And ponder over the words of the Prophet (sallallaahu ‘alayhi wa sallam): "O Bilaal, let us find comfort in prayer." (Abu Dawood and Ahmad) and: "My joy has been made in prayer." (an-Nasaaee, Ahmad and others) and: "A slave may pray and have nothing recorded for it except a tenth of it, or a ninth, or an eighth, or a seventh, or a sixth, or a fifth, or a quarter, or a third, or a half." (Abu Dawood, an-Nasaaee) Scholars of the past placed as a measure of whom they would take knowledge from, the extent to which they followed the sunnah, especially in the salaah. Ibraahim an-Nakha’ee (may Allaah have mercy on him) said: “When they came to a man wanting to take knowledge from him, they observed his salaah, his following of the sunnah and his overall condition, then they took knowledge from him.” As well Abu al-‘Aaliyah said: “We used to come to a man to take knowledge from him so we would look at his salaah: if he perfected it, we would sit with him…”

The Righteous Hajj Part 3 (Provisions)

Good Provisions

The best thing you could ever spend your wealth on is the Beloved and what the Beloved loves. How could it not be so when He is the Praised and Hallowed One Who promised to bless and replace our wealth?

Allaah says:
34_39.png

(which means): “But whatever thing you spend [in His cause] – He will compensate it; and He is the best of providers.” (34:39)

Indeed, spending to visit the Sacred Mosque, which is the very first house to be established for the worship of Allaah, and in which one receives 100,000 times more reward than praying elsewhere and wherein one can have the honour of performing tawaaf (circumambulation) is from the best things for which one could spend their wealth and free up their time.

Allaah says:
22_29.png

(what means):
“... and perform tawaf around the ancient House.” (22:29)

However, you should know that this is only the case if your earnings (wealth) are from lawful means since the Prophet (sallallaahu ‘alayhi wa sallam) said: “Indeed Allaah is Pure and only accepts that which is pure, and Allaah has commanded the believers with that which He commanded the Messengers with for He said (what means): “O messengers, eat from the good foods and work righteousness. Indeed, I, of what you do, am Knowing.” (23:51)

And Allaah says
2_172.png

(which means):

O you who have believed, eat from the good things which We have provided for you and be grateful to Allaah if it is [indeed] Him that you worship. (2:172)
Then he mentioned the man on a long journey, whose hair is unkempt and whose clothing is covered with dust; he raises his hands towards the heavens saying: O My Lord! O My Lord! However, his food is (from) unlawful (means), his drink is (from) unlawful (means), his clothing is (from) unlawful (means) and he has been nourished with that which is unlawful, so how can it be that his prayer will be answered? (Muslim)
What this means is that Allaah is perfect and free of any faults and deficiencies, and so He only accepts that which is pure and good. He only accepts deeds which are free of deficiencies such as showing off, pride and any type of shirk. He only accepts charity which is from lawful means and speech which is good. In the hadeeth of tashah-hud we find: “At Tahiyyaatu lilaahi was Salawaatu wat tayibaatu” (All greetings of humility are for Allaah, and all prayers and goodness). At-Tahiyyaatu means that Allaah is good/pure in Himself, His attributes, His actions and His sayings. Thus, it is not befitting except that what comes from His creation to Him of actions and sayings is other than that.

The Righteous Hajj Part 4 (Character)

Good Moral Character

Dear Muslim, know that you will be rewarded greatly by Allaah for being good, kind, helpful and humble towards your fellow pilgrims.

Allaah says:
15_8.png

(which means): “... And lower your wing (i.e. show kindness) to the believers” (15:88)
And in the authentic hadeeth we find: “and from the best of you is he who is best in moral character”. (al-Bukhaari and Muslim)
And the Messenger of Allaah (sallallaahu ‘alayhi wa sallam) said: “The most beloved of people to Allaah are those who benefit others the most, and the most beloved of deeds to Allaah is to bring happiness to a Muslim or relieve a hardship for him or pay off a debt for him or satisfy his hunger. And it is more beloved to me that I spend the time with a fellow Muslim with needs than spending a month in I’itikaaf (seclusion) in this masjid. Whoever holds back his anger, Allaah will conceal him (i.e. his faults), and whoever controls his rage while being able to act on it if he so willed, Allaah will fill his heart with contentment on the Day of Resurrection. Whoever remains with his fellow Muslim who has a need until he satisfies it, Allaah will make his feet firm on the day when feet will slip, and bad moral character spoils good deeds like vinegar spoils honey.” (at-Tabaraani)

The Righteous Hajj Part 5 (Patience)

Patience and Anticipation

Dear Pilgrim, recall the saying of the Prophet (sallallaahu ‘alayhi wa sallam) concerning Hajj and ‘Umrah that they are: “a jihad with no fighting” (Ahmad).
Remember that Hajj is a training ground for good character, a time to refine one’s soul and raise it to the highest levels and it is a practical test of one’s patience and character.

Perhaps you will become ill or fatigued while moving between the stations (i.e. Mina, Muzdalifah, ‘Arafah) or you may lose something valuable or hear some shocking news. You may show kindness and receive cruelty in response, you may be overcome with sadness and anxiety or you may lose your money and belongings (either due to your negligence or some other reason). Therefore, it is necessary to realize that this is all a test and a trial from Allaah to test your patience, steadfastness and truthfulness or it may be due to some other wisdom which Allaah willed.

Thus, I advise with the following:

1. Patience, patience, patience!!! And repeat often the words: Qaddara Allaahu wa maa shaa a Fa‘ala (Allah decrees, and what He wills He does). Beware of saying: If only I did this, such and such would have happened. Rather, say “Innaa lillaahi wa innaa ilayhi raaji ‘oon” (Indeed we belong to Allaah, and indeed to Him we will return). Recall the words of Allaah:

2_155.png
2_156.png
2_157.png

(which means)

And We will surely test you with something of fear and hunger and a loss of wealth and lives and fruits, but give good tidings to the patient, Who, when disaster strikes them, say, "Indeed we belong to Allaah, and indeed to Him we will return." Those are the ones upon whom are blessings from their Lord and mercy. And it is those who are the [rightly] guided. (2:155-157)

2. Know that everything has a reality, and no slave reaches the reality of faith until such time he realizes that whatever has befallen him was not to pass him by and whatever passed by him was not meant to befall him. (hadeeth reported by Ahmad)

3. Have a good opinion of Allaah (Exalted is He) and know that He will compensate you with a great deal of good. The Messenger of Allaah (sallallaahu ‘alayhi wa sallam) says, as in the hadeeth Qudsi, that Allaah says: “I am just as my slave thinks I am, (i.e., I am able to do for him what he thinks I can do for him), so let him think whatever he wants” (al-Bukhaari and Muslim). He also says: "Indeed, amazing are the affairs of a believer! They are all for his benefit; If he is granted ease of living he is thankful; and this is best for him. And if he is afflicted with a hardship, he perseveres; and this is best or him. And that is only the case of the believer" (Muslim)

Abu Sarah

Allahu Akbar
Staff member
Step by Step Description of Hajj 1 (Mawaqeet)

The Mawaaqeet (boundaries)

Al-mawaaqeet is the plural of meeqaat which refers to the appointed places and times for an act of worship. The appointed time for Hajj (i.e. to enter the state of ihram for it) lies in three months; Shawwaal, Thul Q’idah and Thul Hijjah.
The appointed places (i.e. boundaries) from which one makes intention for Hajj and enters the state of ihram from (and does not cross without being in ihraam) were set by the Prophet (sallallaahu ‘alayhi wa sallam). One who crosses the meeqaat without being in ihram must return to it and don the ihram, otherwise he must offer a sacrificial animal as expiation whose meat is distributed amongst the poor within the haram (sacred boundary of Makkah).

Ibn ‘Abbaas (may Allaah be pleased with him) reports: “Allaah’s Messenger (sallallaahu ‘alayhi wa sallam) made Thul-Hulaifa as the Meeqaat for the people of Al-Madeenah; Al-Juhfa for the people of ash-Sham; Qarn-al-Manaazil for the people of an-Najd; and Yalamlam for the people of al-Yemen; and these Mawaaqeet are for the people at those very places - and besides them for those who come through those places - who have the intention of performing Hajj and ‘Umrah. Whoever is living within these boundaries [between the Meeqaat and Makkah] can assume Ihraam[1] from the place he starts [i.e. his home], and the people of Makkah can assume Ihraam [for Hajj only] from Makkah.” (al-Bukhaari and Muslim)

miqat2.gif

‘Aaisha (may Allaah be pleased with her) reports: “Allaah’s Messenger (sallallaahu ‘alayhi wa sallam) made Thaatu ‘Irq as the meeqaat for the people of ‘Iraaq.” (Abu Daawood, an-Nasaai)

So if anyone intending Hajj or ‘Umrah reaches the meeqaat, they are obliged to enter the state of ihraam.

It is preferred for them to do the following at the meeqaat:

1. Taking a bath. Please note that for many travelling from outside the Kingdom, this is not always possible. Therefore, they should take a bath before departing from the last place this can be done by them with ease (either from home, a hotel they stay at during transit or an airport which has facilities for this for example).

2. Using perfume. Note that this is specific to men. Women may use deodorants and other such things which do not have a detectable fragrance though. As well, the perfume should not be applied to the ihraam towels, just the body of the pilgrim.

3. The two pieces of cloth (sheets/towels) being used should preferably be white and clean. As for women, they wear their “normal” clothing, keeping in mind the rules of hijaab. It is not preferred or prescribed for them to wear a specific colour such as white. --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[1] Ihraam: A state in which one is prohibited to practice certain deeds that are lawful at other times. The ceremonies of ‘Umrah and Hajj are performed in this state of Ihraam. When one assumes this state, the first thing one should do is to express mentally [and orally i.e. reciting at-Talbiyah] one intention to assume this state for the purpose of performing Hajj or ‘Umrah. Then, Talbiyah is recited, two sheets of [unstiched i.e. not made to fit any of the limbs of the body] cloth are worn, without any other clothing – Izaar: worn below one’s waist; and the other is Ridaa: worn on the upper part of the body (for men-women keep their regular clothing).

javascript: window.print() javascript: addbookmark()
Step by Step Description of Hajj 2 (Types of Hajj)

Types of Ihraam or Hajj

Dear brother/sister, how will you do tamattu’, or ifraad or qiraan?
When you want to perform Hajj during the months of Hajj (Shawwaal, Thul Q’idah and Thul Hijjah) and arrive at the meeqaat, you have a choice of doing one of the following “types” of Hajj: either tamattu’, or ifraad or qiraan.

1. Tamattu’: If you choose to do tamattu’, then at the meeqaat you will say: Labbayka ‘umrah or Labbayk Allaahumma ‘umrah (Here I am O Allaah for ‘umrah). Then you will perform ‘umrah and get out of ihraam. On the eighth day of Thul Hijjah you will then intend Hajj and do as will be explained later on. Note that offering a sacrifice (hady) will be compulsory for you.

2. Ifraad: In this case you will intend only Hajj at the meeqaat by saying: Labbayka Hajjan or Labbayk Allaahumma Hajjan (Here I am O Allaah for Hajj). Upon arrival in Makkah it is preferred for you to do the tawaaf of arrival (al-qudoom) and you are obliged to remain in the state of ihram until the day of sacrifice (i.e. ‘Eid). What needs to be done on the eighth day of Thul Hijjah will be explained later on. Note that you do not need to offer any sacrificial animal.
3. Qiraan: In this case you intend both Hajj and ‘umrah together from the meeqaat by saying: Labbayka Hajjan wa ‘umarah or Labbayk Allaahumma Hajjan wa ‘umrah (Here I am O Allaah for Hajj and ‘umrah). It is preferred that upon arrival in Makkah you perform the tawaaf of arrival (al-qudoom) and you are you are obliged to remain in the state of ihraam till the day of sacrifice. What needs to be done on the eighth of Thul Hijjah will be explained later. Note that offering a sacrificial animal will be compulsory for you.

Step by Step Description of Hajj 3 (Talbiyah)

Merits of the Talbiyah and Raising the Voice for it
At-Talbiyah

The Loud Pronouncement of Particular Expressions which are a Symbol/ Motto of Hajj Indicating a Pilgrim's Readiness to Serve and Obey Allah, In Response to His Invitation (to Hajj) From the talbiyah of the Prophet (sallallaahu ‘alayhi wa sallam) was:
Labbaik-Allahumma Labbaik
I respond to Your Call O Allah, I am at You Service
Labbaika, laa Shareeka laka Labbaik
I respond to Your Call, You have no partner, I am obedient to Your Orders
Inna-l-Hamda wan-N’imata Laka wa-l-Mulk
All of the praises and blessings are for You, and the Sovereignty (Kingdom) (too)
Laa Shareeka Laka
You have no partners with You (al-Bukhaari)

Labbaika ilaaha al-Haqq
I respond to your call O Lord of truth
Abdullah ibn ‘Umar made this addition to it:
Labbaika, Labbaika wa S’adaika
I respond to Your Call, Here I am at Your Service, Ready to Obey You
wa-l-Khairu bi-Yadaika
and all Good is in Your Hand
Labbaika, wa-r-Raghbaa u ilaika wa-l-'Amal

Here I am at Your Service, unto You is the Petition, and Deeds (are also for You)
(Muslim)

Raising the voice with the talbiyah is prescribed due to the saying of the Prophet (sallallaahu ‘alayhi wa sallam): “Jibreel came to me and ordered me to command my companions and those with me to raise their voices with the talbiyah”
And he said: “The best Hajj is that in which voices are raised (for talbiyah) and blood (of sacrificial animals) is shed”.

The Prophet (sallallaahu ‘alayhi wa sallam) said: “No Muslim says the talbiyah except that everything of trees and stones to his right and left say the talbiyah with him until the end of the earth.

Women are not to raise their voices with talbiyah in the presence of non-mahram men.

Step by Step Description of Hajj 4 (The Best Pilgrims)

The Best Pilgrims

Ibn al Qayyim (may Allaah have mercy on him) says:

The best amongst those doing any deed are those who remember Allaah most during it. So the best of the fasting people are those who remember Allaah most during the fast, and the best of those who give charity are those who remember Allaah most while doing so and the best of pilgrims are those who remember Allaah most during the pilgrimage and so on.
And the Prophet (sallallaahu ‘alayhi wa sallam) says: “Tawaaf around the house (k’abah) and between as-Safaa and al-Marwah and pelting of the jamaraat (stone pillars) were only prescribed for the remembrance of Allaah.” (Abu Daawood, at-Tirmithi)

Step by Step Description of Hajj 5 (Ihraam)

Ihraam

Many people think of Ihraam as the two white sheets/towels worn by the pilgrim. This is a mistake. The two white sheets/towels worn by men are “the Ihraam garments for men” and not the actual Ihraam.

The word Ihraam in the Arabic language means entering into a state of prohibition.
In the Fiqh terminology, the ihraam of Hajj and Umrah is the intention of the Hajj and ‘Umrah by which a person enters the state in which certain things become prohibited on him or her.

Prohibited Matters in Ihraam are of Three Categories

First Category: That which is prohibited for both men and women:
1. Removal of hair from the head or any part of the body in any manner.
2. Clipping/removing finger/toenails.
3. Using fragrance on either the body or clothing. Be careful not to use fragrances in foods/drinks as well and to abstain from using fragranced soap, cream and shampoo.
4. Sexual intercourse/relations and that which may lead to it such as marriage (‘aqd nikaah) and lustful looking, kissing and so forth.
5. Hunting or assisting in hunting.
6. Wearing gloves.

Second Category: That which is prohibited specifically for men.
1. Covering the head with something that remains on it (like a cap for example).
2. Wearing sewn clothing such as t-shirts, pants and the like.
Third Category: That which is prohibited specifically for women: 1. Wearing a face covering (niqaab). Therefore, it is forbidden for a woman to wear the niqaab and gloves after crossing the meeqaat. However, she may cover her hands with her garment such as the dress or cloak. And she would cover her face in the presence of non-mahram men by lowering her head cover.

Step by Step Description of Hajj 6 (Women)

Regulations Specific to Women

1. She must have a mahram with her. The mahram of a woman is her husband or someone from her near male relatives whom she is permanently prohibited to marry according to the Sharee’ah. The evidence for this is very clear in the authentic ahaadeeth in which the Prophet (sallallaahu ‘alayhi wa sallam) said: It is not permissible for a woman who believes in Allaah and the Last Day to travel the distance one travels in a day and a night, except that she has with her Hurmah (i.e. a mahram). (al-Bukhaari and Muslim)

2. If a woman begins menstruation or gives birth on her way to Hajj, she continues the journey and does not wait until the bleeding stops. When she reaches the meeqaat in this state (menstruating or having post natal bleeding), then she enters ihraam like any other woman as it is not a condition to be free of such bleeding in ihraam. The Prophet (sallallaahu ‘alayhi wa sallam) said to Asmaa bint ‘Umais, as in the hadeeth found in saheeh Muslim, “take a bath, secure the area (i.e. place something at the private part to prevent blood from leaking) and get into ihraam”. She had given birth at the meeqaat and being uncertain as to what to do, she had sent a question to the Prophet (sallallaahu ‘alayhi wa sallam) to which he responded as above.

We conclude from what has been mentioned then the following:

· She enters into the state of ihraam from the meeqaat as other women and abstains from the prohibitions of ihraam and proceeds to Makkah in the state she is in.
· She does not wear gloves or a niqaab.

· She wears her “normal” clothing while in ihraam, but keeping in mind the rules of hijaab. There is no specific colour for a woman’s ihraam garments.
What she is not allowed to do is perform tawaaf until such time that she stops bleeding, then purifies herself by taking a bath.
3. When the day of ‘Arafah comes and if the woman has not completed her cycle yet while having entered into ihraam with the intention of doing tamattu’, then at this point she enters ihram for Hajj and now she will be considered to be doing qiraan. She will do everything from the acts of Hajj with the exception of tawaaf (until her cycle ends and she takes a bath) as in the hadeeth in which the Prophet (sallallaahu ‘alayhi wa sallam) said to ‘Aaisha (may Allaah be pleased with her): “Do as the pilgrim does except that you do not perform tawaaf until you become clean (i.e. from menses).” (al-Bukhaari and Muslim). Then when she is free of bleeding, she does the tawaaf and walks between as-Safaa and al-Marwah (7 rounds each) and this will suffice her for both her Hajj and ‘Umrah.

Step by Step Description of Hajj 7 (Haram)

Characteristics and Rulings of the Haram (Sanctuary)

· Its merits (i.e. that the haram is sacred and has many virtues) and the fact that worship within this boundary is more meritorious than outside it.

· The severity of evil deeds within it. Allaah says (what means): “whoever intends [a deed] therein of deviation [in religion] or wrongdoing – We will make him taste of a painful punishment.” (22:25) · Prohibition of hunting within it.

· Trees and shrubs (which grow naturally) in it cannot be uprooted, with the exception of al-ithkhir (a type of grass)
· No kaafir (non-Muslim) may enter it as Allaah says (what means): O you who have believed, indeed the polytheists are unclean, so let them not approach al-Masjid al-haraam after this, their [final] year. (9:28)

Step by Step Description of Hajj 8 (Entering Makkah)

Entering Makkah

Whoever enters Makkah with the intention of Hajj or ‘Umrah, then they must do two things before the tawaaf:

1. They must be in ihraam from the prescribed place (i.e. meeqaat).

2. They must be in a state of complete tahaarah (both major and minor ritual purity). ‘Aaishah (may Allaah be pleased with her said: “The first thing he did upon arrival was to take wudhu, then circumambulate around the k’abah.” (al-Bukhaari and Muslim)

As for what is recommended for entering Makkah:

1. Taking a bath. When Ibn ‘Umar (may Allaah be pleased with them) approached the haram, he stopped saying the talbiyah and spent the night at Thu Tuwaa. He then prayed Fajr there, took a bath and said that the Prophet (sallallaahu ‘alayhi wa sallam) used to do so. (Agreed upon)

2. Entering the Masjid from the gate of Bani Shaybah (if possible).

3. While entering the Sacred Mosque, enter with the right foot and say: Bismillaah, Allaahumma Salli ‘alaa Muhammad, Allaahumma-f-tah Lee abwaaba Rahmatik (In the Name of Allaah, O Allaah send salaah upon Muhammad, O Allaah open for me the doors of Your Mercy) or another authentic du’aa reported for entry into a masjid.
4. When you see the k’abah, raise your hands and supplicate for what you wish; there is no specific du’aa for this.

Abu Sarah

Allahu Akbar
Staff member
Description of ‘Umrah 1 - Tawaaf

The Tawaaf (Circumambulation)

Upon entering the Sacred Mosque (al-Masjid al-Haraam),head directly to the ka'bah intending to begin the tawaaf from the black stone. It is sunnah at the time of the tawaaf of arrival (qudoom) to do two things (for men):

1.al-Idhtibaa’: This means to uncover the right shoulder.

2.ar-Ramal: This means to walk at a fast pace, taking short steps during the first three rounds of the tawaaf.
Start at the black stone by approaching it and placing your hands on it and kissing it if possible (otherwise, simply face it and point towards it) and say “bismillaahi wa Allaahu Akbar”. Then with the k’abah to your left, circle it seven times making sure you walk around the outside of “hijr Ismaaeel” (you will notice at the second and third corner that there is a short wall in a semi-circular shape). There is no specific du’aa/supplication to be recited in each round. Rather simply turn to Allaah as you please and request for the good of this world and the next. Every time you pass by the black stone touch and kiss it if possible. If that is not possible, then touch it with your hand(s) and kiss the hand(s) or a cane (if you are using one). If none of that is possible, then simply indicate towards it with your hand while saying the takbir (as above) and do not kiss your hand. These are the different manners of touching the black stone as found in the sunnah. As for the “Yemeni corner” (the corner before reaching the black stone), then it is prescribed to touch it only and one does not say the takbir while doing so. If unable to touch it, simply walk by without indicating (pointing) towards it. The Prophet (sallallaahu ‘alayhi wa sallam) only touched the black stone and the Yemeni corner (none of the others). Once the seven rounds have been completed, the tawaaf is done. Should you doubt as to how many rounds you did, build upon certainty (i.e. the lower number). Note: After the seventh round, do not kiss the black stone (yet).

Description of ‘Umrah 2 - Dua during Tawaaf

Supplications (ad’iyah) during Tawaaf

When you come to the black stone, face it and kiss or indicate towards it (as described above) and say “bismillaahi wa Allaahu Akbar”. This has been authentically reported from Ibn ‘Umar (may Allaah be pleased with them). These are great words and one must appreciate their meanings: that you are beginning in the name of Allaah and that Allaah is Great (greater than all things). Kissing the black stone, touching it or indicating towards it is a meritorious deed as the Prophet (sallallaahu ‘alayhi wa sallam) said: “Indeed Allaah will bring the black stone up on the Day of Resurrection and it will have two eyes with which it sees, a tongue with which it speaks and it will testify for those who touched it.” (Ahmad) He also said: “Touching the black stone and the Yemeni corner causes sins to fall.” (at-Tirmithi)

Note that we kiss the black stone as a means of glorifying Allaah and following the sunnah of His Prophet (sallallaahu ‘alayhi wa sallam). Therefore, when ‘Umar (may Allaah be pleased with him) kissed it he said: “No doubt, I know that you are a stone and can neither harm (anyone) nor benefit anyone. Had I not seen Allaah’s Messenger kissing you, I would not have kissed you.” (al-Bukhaari and Muslim)
At the beginning of the tawaaf one may also say as ‘Ali (may Allaah be pleased with him) used to say: “Allaahumma Eemaanan bika wa tasdeeqan bi kitaabika wa wafaa an bi ‘ahdika wa it-tibaa ‘an li sunnati nabiyyika Muhammadin-sallallaahu ‘alayhi wa sallam” (O Allaah, with faith in You, belief in Your book, loyalty to You and in compliance to the way of Your Prophet Muhammad-sallallaahu ‘alayhi wa sallam). (al-Bayhaqi and others)

Between the Yemeni corner and the black stone, say: “Rabbanaa aatinaa fid-dunyaa hasanatan, wa fil aakhirati hasanatan wa qinaa ‘athaab an-naar” (Our Lord, grant us good in this world and good in the life to come and keep us safe from the torment of the fire) (Ahmad and Ibn Khuzaimah).

You may remember Allaah, recite the Quraan or supplicate as you wish (during the tawaaf). Ibn al-Qayyim (may Allaah have mercy on him) said: ‘Abdurrahmaan ibn ‘Awf (or Sa’ad ibn Abi Waqqaas) used to do tawaaf and he repeated the follwing du’aa: “Rabbi qinee shuhha nafsee, Rabbi qinee shuhha nafsee” (My Lord save me from the greed of my own soul, my Lord save me from the greed of my own soul). He was asked, don’t you ask for anything besides that? In response he said: “If I am protected from the greed of my own soul, I’ve succeeded.” Allaah says (what means): “And whoever is protected from the stinginess of his soul – it is those who will be the successful.” (59:9)

Regarding the merits of tawaaf, the black stone and the Yemeni corner, we find the following narration of Ibn ‘Umar (may Allaah be pleased with them): “I heard the Messenger of Allaah (sallallaahu ‘alayhi wa sallam) say: Touching them expiates sins. I heard him say: Whoever circles this house seven times, it is as though he freed a slave. I heard him say: One does not place one foot on the ground and raise the other except that Allaah wipes away through it (each step) a sin, and a good deed is recorded for him through it. (at-Tirmithi)

Description of ‘Umrah 3 - Salaah behind maqaam of Ibraaheem

Salaah behind Maqaam (station of) Ibraaheem and Drinking of Zamzam water

After completing the seventh round, cover your right shoulder and head towards Maqaam Ibraaheem while reciting: Wattakhithoo min maqaami Ibraaheema musallaa (And take, [O believers], from the standing place of Ibraaheem a place of prayer.) (2:125). Then offer two raka’ah (units) of prayer behind Maqaam Ibraaheem, placing Maqaam Ibraaheem between yourself and the k’abah (even from a far distance) if possible. If you are unable to do this due to the rush or because it would cause inconvenience, then offer this salaah anywhere in the masjid. It is preferred to recite soorat al-Kaafiroon in the first raka’ah (after al-Faatihah) and al-Ikhlaas in the second (after al-Faatihah). Do not take long for this salaah thereby inconveniencing others.

Next, it is preferred to go towards the well of Zamzam and drink from it and pour some of it over the head. The Prophet (sallallaahu ‘alayhi wa sallam) informed us that Zamzam is for what you drink it for; it is for nutrition as well as healing. Then go back to the black stone and kiss, touch or indicate towards it as during tawaaf if possible.

Description of ‘Umrah 4 - Saee

Walking between as-Safaa and al-Marawh

Now proceed towards as-Safaa and upon approaching it recite verse 158 of soorat al-Baqarah:

2_158.png

Inna-s-safaa wal marwata min sha ‘aairillaah, fa man hajja-l-baita aw i ‘itamar fa laa junaaha ‘alayhi an yattawwafa bihimaa. Wa man tatawwa ‘a khayran fa innallaaha shaakirun ‘aleem.

Recite this verse only at the beginning. Then say: Nada u bimaa bada Allaahu bih (We begin with what Allaah began with).

Now climb as-Safaa until you see the k’abah. Face it, raise your hands (as in supplication) and say: Allahu Akbar x3, then say the following three times:
108-221.gif

(There is no true god except Allaah alone, Who is without partner. His is the kingdom, all praise is due to Him and He is able to do all things. There is no true god except Allaah alone, Who is without partner. He fulfilled His promise, and made His slave prevail, and He defeated the clans all alone). Between each time you may supplicate.
Now descend from as-Safaa and proceed towards al-Marwah. While walking between the two hills, engage yourself in the remembrance of Allaah and turn to Him with humility and sincerity. When you reach the green posts (they are lighted and marked), then walk fast (or jog) to the next green posts (only men) if possible. Then continue walking towards al-Marwah and ascend it and do as you did at as-Safaa (facing qiblah, saying takbeer and the thikr mentioned there and du’aa). This is considered as one complete round. Now return to as-Safaa doing as described above and upon reaching as-Safaa, you have completed two rounds. While running between the two sets of green posts one may say: (My Lord, forgive and have mercy, indeed You are the Mighty, the Supreme). This was reported from Ibn ‘Umar and Ibn Mas’ood (may Allaah be pleased with them).

Continue in this manner until you finally reach al-Marwah after the seventh round. Once you have completed the seven rounds between as-Safaa and al-Marwah, you may cut your hair, thus completing the ‘umrah. Now those things which were prohibited while in ihraam are lawful once again. Remain in this state until the eighth of Thil Hijjah.

The Prophet (sallallaahu ‘alayhi wa sallam) said: “O Allaah have mercy on those who shave (their heads). The people asked: And those who shorten (trim their hair) O Messenger of Allaah? He said: O Allaah have mercy on those who shave. They asked: And those who shorten O Messenger of Allaah? He responded: And those who shorten.” (al-Bukhaari, Muslim)

Abu Sarah

Allahu Akbar
Staff member
Pillars and Obligations of Hajj and 'Umrah

Pillars and Obligations of Hajj and 'Umrah

Arkaan (Pillars) of ‘Umrah
1.Ihraam

2.Tawaaf

3.S’ay (walking between as-Safaa and al-Marwah).

Waajibaat (Obligations) of ‘Umrah
1.Ihraam from the meeqaat.

2.Shaving or trimming (the hair of the head).

Arkaan (Pillars) of Hajj
1.Ihraam

2.Tawaaf al-Ifaadhah

3.Woqoof (standing) in ‘Arafah
4.S’ay between as-Safaa and al-Marwah

Waajibaat (Obligations) of Hajj
1.Ihraam from the meeqaat.

2.Remaining at ‘Arafah till sunset for those who are there by day.

3.Remaining at Muzdalifah till Fajr until the horizon becomes clear (i.e. brightens), except for the weak/excused who may leave after half the night has passed.

4.Spending the nights in Minaa during the days of tashreeq (11th, 12th and 13th of Thul Hijjah)

5.Pelting the big jamarah (stone pillar) in addition to the others on the days of tashreeq

6.Shaving or trimming (the hair).

7.The farewell tawaaf.

Important Note:
Dear reader, in what follows you will find some simple symbols indicating what is a rukn (pillar), a waajib or a sunnah. These symbols are as follows: (***) for rukn, (**) for waajib, (*) for sunnah. Be aware that whoever leaves out something which is a rukn, their Hajj is incomplete and cannot be compensated for unless that rukn is done. And whoever leaves out a waajib, they will have to expiate for it.

Abu Sarah

Allahu Akbar
Staff member
Performing the Hajj 1 - Eighth Thul Hijjah (1st Day of Hajj)

Performing the Hajj
hajjmap.jpg

Eighth Thul Hijjah (1st Day of Hajj)
*The eight day of Thul Hijjah is known as Yawm at-Tarwiyah.
*For the one doing Hajj at-Tamattu’, then before entering the state of ihraam it is prescribed for them to do the following: take a bath, clip nails, trim moustache, remove unwanted hair (armpits and pubic) and wear two pieces of white cloth (towels/sheets). However, women wear “normal” clothing without wearing gloves or the niqaab. As for the one doing Qiraan or Ifraad, they are already in ihraam so they cannot trim their hair or clip nails etc…
*At the time of Dhuhaa (late morning), make your intention for Hajj from the place you are at (i.e. residence) saying Labbayka Hajjan
*If you fear that something may prevent you from completing the Hajj, then place the following condition upon intending the Hajj: (and if I am prevented by an obstacle then indeed my place is where You prevented me). If you do not have such a fear, then don’t place this condition.
**After intending Hajj, you must refrain from doing those things which are prohibited while in ihraam.
*Recite the talbiyah often:
dualabbayk1.gif

Continue saying it until you pelt the large Jamarah (stone pillar) on the tenth of Thul Hijjah.

*Proceed towards Minaa while reciting the talbiyah and offer Thuhr, ‘Asr, Maghrib, ‘Ishaa and Fajr at Mina (all at their appointed times). Shorten the prayers (two raka’ah for the ones which are normally 4) but do not combine them. This applies to everyone.
Hajj_26.jpg

*Be keen to recite the athkaar (words of remembrance) after the prescribed prayers as well as the athkaar of the morning and evening.

*Sleep the night in Minaa.
2136448520_cf661ce55c.jpg

Some Errors Committed on the Eighth
1. Not educating oneself about the proper manner of performing Hajj (through authentic books and asking scholars). Rather, we find that many people set out for the Hajj and make their way through it looking at what others (laypeople) are doing. It is as though they are saying: ”I’ll do as I see the people doing”. This is true ignorance and those who err due to this attitude will not be excused. Allaah has made it a duty on us to seek knowledge concerning that which we are ignorant of as He says:
21_7.png
…so ask the people of the message (i.e. scholars) if you do not know. (21:7)
2. Many pilgrims expose their right shoulders from this day until the end of the Hajj, but this is incorrect as this act is only prescribed at the time of the initial tawaaf (al-qudoom).
3. Many women think that their ihraam clothing must be of a particular colour (white or green for example), but this is incorrect. Rather, she wears “ordinary” clothing, observing the rules of hijaab and refraining from wearing gloves and the niqaab (as stated previously).
4. Some pilgrims prepare themselves for the ihraam by doing things forbidden in the Sharee’ah such as shaving their beards and wearing the lower garment below the ankles. These are forbidden and diminish the rewards of the Hajj.
5. Some pilgrims do not spend the night in Minaa, but rather proceed directly on this night to ‘Arafah. This conflicts with the guidance of the Prophet (sallallaahu ‘alayhi wa sallam). 6. Many pilgrims supplicate using supplications they do not understand nor know the source of. Very often, they simply repeat supplications found in books that happen to fall into their hands. However, one should supplicate using authentic supplications found in the Quraan and Sunnah as well as supplicating in one’s own language, asking for what they need from the bottom of their hearts.

Performing the Hajj 2 - Ninth Thul Hijjah (2nd day of Hajj)

Ninth Thul Hijjah (2nd day of Hajj)
*After praying Fajr and after the sun has risen, proceed towards ‘Arafah while reciting the talbiyah and glorifying Allaah saying: Allahu Akbar (Allaah is Great, there is no deity besides Allaah, Allaah is Great and all praise is for Allaah)
*It is disliked to fast on this day as the Prophet (sallallaahu ‘alayhi wa sallam) spent the day while he was not fasting.
*It is sunnah to remain at Namirah until zawaal (after sun passes by its zenith) if possible.
*There is a khutbah (sermon) delivered at that time and it is followed by praying Thuhr and ‘Asr combined with one athaan and two iqaamahs.
***Enter into ‘Arafah making certain that you are within the boundaries of ‘Arafah. Note that a large part of masjid Namirah is not inside ‘Arafah.
*Spend your time remembering Allaah, humbling yourself before Him and supplicating to Him with sincerity, submissiveness and presence of heart.
*All of ‘Arafah is a place to “stand”. However, if possible, stand at the foot of the mountain (hill) known as Jabal Rahmah placing it between yourself and the qiblah.
*It is not from the sunnah to climb the mountain as many do.
119805794900c6egxtma5.jpg

*Make du’aa (supplicate) until Maghrib, facing the qiblah with hands raised. Be humbly submissive and try to always be present with your heart. Don’t make the mistake of wasting your time, laughing, joking, sleeping and engaging in useless talk.

*Say the following in abundance: the talbiyah, invoke salaah and salaam on the Prophet (sallallaahu ‘alayhi wa sallam) and say
109-222.gif

(there is no deity besides Allaah alone, He has no partner, to Him belongs the Dominion, to Him belongs all praise and He is over all things capable)

**Do not leave ‘Arafah before sunset.
*The Prophet (sallallaahu ‘alyhi wa sallam) said: "On no other day does the Satan feel so belittled, humiliated, and angry as he does on the Day of Arafah." The reason for this is the mercy of Allaah that descends (this day) and the forgiveness that He grants to people for major sins (Maalik)
**After sunset, proceed calmly towards Muzdalifah.
**When you arrive at Muzdalifah, pray Maghrib and ‘Ishaa combined. In the event you are stuck on route and fear you will only reach Muzdalifah after half the night has passed, then pray wherever you are.
**Sleep until Fajr.
muzdalifah.jpg

muzdalifah_2.gif

Some Errors Committed on the Ninth
1. Some pilgrims stand outside the boundary of ‘Arafah. Make certain that you are not in that situation since if this happens to you, you will have to complete the remaining rites of Hajj but would have to repeat the entire Hajj the following year. This Hajj will not count.
2. Some pilgrims fast on this day and this is in contrast with the sunnah.
3. Making unreasonable efforts to reach Jabal ar-Rahmah and to climb it.
4. Wasting time in joking, sleeping, and useless talk instead of keeping busy with du’aa and thikr.
5. Rushing and pushing and shoving while leaving ‘Arafah. One should leave calmly. 6. Not determining the direction of the qiblah when praying in Muzdalifah.

Performing the Hajj 3 - Tenth Thul Hijjah (3rd Day of Hajj, the Day of ‘Eid)

Tenth Thul Hijjah (3rd Day of Hajj, the Day of ‘Eid)
**Pilgrims must pray salaat al Fajr in Muzdalifah (with the exception of the weak and women who may leave early if necessary).
*After salaat al Fajr and the prescribed athkaar (words of remembrance), face the qiblah, praise Allaah, magnify Him, glorify Him and supplicate to Him until it starts getting bright (but before sunrise).
*Proceed towards Minaa before the sun rises, repeating the talbiyah and going calmly.
*If possible, speed up through Wadi Muhassir (a valley between Muzdalifah and Mina)
*Gather seven pebbles from anywhere on the way to Minaa or even from Minaa and continue repeating the talbiyah and takbeer.

Note:
**Pelt the large pillar (jamarah) with seven pebbles (one after the other) saying the takbeer each time and stop saying the talbiyah once you have completed this pelting.
**Offer your sacrifice (hady) and eat from it if possible and distribute its meat to the poor and needy. The sacrifice is compulsory for those performing Tamattu’ and Qiraan. At the time of slaughtering one says: (Bismillaah wallaahu Akbar. Allaahumma haathaa minka wa lak. Allaahumma taqabbal minnee: In the name of Allaah, and Allaah is Great. O Allaah, this is from You and for You. O Allaah, accept from me.)
**Shave or trim your hair (from all over), but remember that shaving the head is better. Start on the right side. Note that women only shorten the hair (about an inch or so). With this, one is partially out of ihraam and thus allowed to wear their regular clothing, use perfume and do the other things not allowed in the state of ihraam with the exception of intimacy. This is not allowed until after tawaaf al ifaadhah and sa’y between as-Safaa and al-Marwah (if you still need to do it). If one has intercourse after pelting the large pillar, the Hajj is valid but they have to pay a penalty (slaughter animal to compensate).
***Proceed to Makkah and perform tawaaf al Ifaadhah (without running in the first three rounds or uncovering the right shoulder) and pray two raka’ah.
***Next, go and walk between as-Safaa and al-Marwah (this is necessary for the one doing tamattu’, and the ones doing Qiraan and Ifraad if they did not do this with the initial tawaaf-al Qudoom). With this, you are no longer in ihraam.
*If you do not follow the sequence as above, there is no blame or harm.
*Drink from the water of Zamzam and pray Thuhr in Makkah if possible.
*You need to remain in Mina for the night.

Some Errors Committed on the Tenth
1. Some pilgrims pray salaat al Fajr even before its time enters and this is unacceptable. Praying before the prescribed time is impermissible and the prayer is invalid.
2. Some people are not careful while pelting to make certain (as much as possible) that the stones at least fall in the well around the pillar.
3. Some think that they are actually pelting the Shaytaan and this is wrong and out of ignorance. The reality is that we are pelting because the Prophet (sallallaahu ‘alayhi wa sallam) did (in obedience to his command) and to raise the remembrance of Allaah.
4. Many do not realize the greatness of this day (the day of ‘Eid) and are not keen in carrying out extra acts of obedience such as giving charity, spreading the salaam and making Muslims happy.
5. If offering the sacrifice on their own, many are not careful to choose animals which meet the conditions laid down by the Sharee’ah (i.e. age, physical defects, etc…)
6. It is from the sunnah to offer your own sacrifice, however, that is not always possible these days.
7. Some are not careful and may have their sacrifice done outside the boundaries of Makkah (like in Arafah or Jeddah). If this happens, another animal must be sacrificed within the boundaries of Makkah. 8. The time for sacrifice is the day of ‘Eid and three days after it, yet some may delay this till later.

Performing the Hajj 4 - Eleventh Thul Hijjah (4th Day of Hajj)

Eleventh Thul Hijjah (4th Day of Hajj)
**You must spend the night in Mina
**Make certain to offer all your prayers while in Minaa in congregation.
*These days are known as Ayyaam at-Tashreeq and one is to remember Allaah abundantly during them. It is prescribed to say takbeer after the fardh prayers on these days.
*Begin pelting the three pillars after Thuhr/zawaal once you’ve collected 21 pebbles from any place in Mina.
**Start by pelting the small pillar, then the middle one and finally the large one.
**Pelt each with seven pebbles (one after the other, saying takbeer after each pebble).
*It is sunnah when pelting the small and middle pillar to do so while facing the qiblah and the pillar being before you. Then go aside (away from the crowd) and face the qiblah and supplicate to Allaah.
*While pelting the large pillar, do so while the k’abah is to your left and Mina is to your right and leave right after that without standing to make du’aa.
Note: It is not permissible to assign someone to pelt on your behalf unless you are incapable of doing so either in the day or at night.
**You must spend the night in Mina.
25jy2oy.jpg

2i27vaf.jpg

2m4r5sn.jpg

21ooe3t.jpg

28latmc.jpg

aox6x0.jpg

Some Errors Committed on the Eleventh
1. Pelting before zawaal. One who does so must expiate by offering a sacrifice, unless they repeated the pelting at the appointed time.
2. A common error is for people to pelt in the wrong order (i.e. large to small). Whoever does so must repeat the pelting.
3. Some think you have to hit the actual pillar while pelting not realizing that the pillar has been placed there to simply point out the area in which pelting must occur.
4. Some may throw all seven stones at once and this is incorrect. If one does it, that would count as only one throw (i.e. one pebble).
5. Some pelt from very far away and they would not be able to tell whether the pebbles at least landed in the well around the pillar.
6. Wasting time in unnecessary matters while Allaah says:
2_200.png
And when you have completed your rites, remember Allah like your [previous] remembrance of your fathers or with [much] greater remembrance. And among the people is he who says, "Our Lord, give us in this world," and he will have in the Hereafter no share. (2:200)

Performing the Hajj 5 - Twelfth Thul Hijjah (5th Day of Hajj)

Twelfth Thul Hijjah (5th Day of Hajj)
**Spend the night in Mina (night of the twelfth/evening of 11th).
*Use the time to do good, remember Allaah and benefit people.
**After Thuhr/zawaal, pelt all three pillars and do as you did on the 4th day of Hajj.
*After pelting, if you wish to leave Mina early you may do so.
**If you planned on leaving early, you must leave before sunset.
*It is better to remain another day:
2_203.png

(Then whoever hastens [his departure] in two days – there is no sin upon him; and whoever delays [until the third] – there is no sin upon him – for him who fears Allah.) Soorah (2:203). Delaying is the sunnah of the Prophet (sallallaahu ‘alayhi wa sallam).
*If possible, pray in Masjid al Khayf while in Mina as it is said that 70 prophets prayed in this masjid (mentioned by Sh. Al Albani)
masjid_khaif2.gif
Performing the Hajj 6 - Thirteenth Thul Hijjah (6th Day of Hajj)

Thirteenth Thul Hijjah (6th Day of Hajj
**You should have spent the last night in Mina.
**Pelt the three pillars after Thuhr/zawaal as on the last two days.
**When you intend travelling out of Makkah, perform the farewell tawaaf (al Wadaa’). If a woman is menstruating or experiencing post natal bleeding, she does not need to do this tawaaf.
With this, the rites of Hajj have been completed.
Some Errors Committed on the Twelfth and Thirteenth
1. Leaving the place dirty and leaving garbage around without even bothering while this is far from the teachings of Islaam.
2. Some visit the Masjid of the Prophet (sallallaahu ‘alayhi wa sallam) thinking that it is part of the Hajj and this is wrong. The truth is that visiting al Masjid an Nabawi is sunnah either before or after Hajj and has nothing to do with the rites of the Hajj itself; the Hajj is not “more complete” with this visit. 3. Some people complain a great deal after Hajj about how tired they are and what a great thing they’ve done! They make as though they have done Allaah a favour and this is a sign of weak faith and lack of understanding.

Means of Attaining Rewards

Allaah says:
2_165.png

(which means): .....But those who believe are stronger in love for Allaah. (2:165)
· Go out of your way to adhere to the sunnah of the Prophet (sallallaahu ‘alayhi wa sallam) throughout the Hajj.
· Greet those whom you know and those whom you do not know with salaam and show a pleasant and smiling face.
· Try to help other pilgrims by providing food and drink for those who need it and assist those who need assistance.
· Be patient with your fellow pilgrims; you may be upset at how some of them behave etc…, but be forbearing and patient.
· Advise the ignorant and educate them with wisdom and kindness.
· If you can, help distribute beneficial booklets or cds and so forth.
· Remember all Muslims in your supplications (du’aa).
· Practice al Amr bil M’aroof and an Nahy ‘an al Munkar (enjoining the good and forbidding the wrong) to the best of your ability and use wisdom and gentleness in advising.
· Have a clean heart and abstain from backbiting and criticizing people (especially people of knowledge). Rather, supplicate for them and ask Allaah to grant them goodness in both worlds. · You will attain the mercy of Allaah if you are tolerant. The Prophet (sallallaahu ‘alayhi wa sallam) said: "May Allah show mercy to a man who is generous/tolerant when he sells, when he buys and when he asks for settlement." [al-Bukhaari]

Our need for dua

Allaah says:
40_60.png

Which means: And your Lord says, "Call upon Me; I will respond to you." Indeed, those who disdain My worship will enter Hell [rendered] contemptible. (40:60)
And He says:
2_186.png

which means: And when My servants ask you, [O Muúammad], concerning Me – indeed I am near. I respond to the invocation of the supplicant when he calls upon Me. So let them respond to Me [by obedience] and believe in Me that they may be [rightly] guided. (2:186)
And He also says:
27_62.png

which means: Is He [not best] who responds to the desperate one when he calls upon Him and removes evil (27:62)
And the Prophet (sallallaahu ‘alayhi wa sallam) says: “Allah is Shy and Most Generous. He is Shy that when one raises his hands to Him (in Du’aa), He does not allow him to put them empty in failure.” [Ahmad, Abu Dawood and At-Tirmidhee]
Also: “Whoever does not ask of Allaah, He becomes angry with him.” [at-Tirmithi]
And the Prophet (sallallaahu ‘alayhi wa sallam) said: “Du’aa’ is worship.” [at-Tirmithi and others]
The Prophet (sallallaahu ‘alayhi wa sallam) also told Abdullaah ibn ‘Abbaas (radiallaahu ‘anhu): “O young boy! I wish to instruct you in some matters; be watchful of Allah, (i.e. the commandments of Allah) He will be watchful of you. Safeguard His rights, He will always be with you; if you must beg, beg of Him alone; if you need assistance, supplicate to Allah alone for assistance, and remember that if all the people jointly desire to benefit you with something, they will be unable to benefit you, except with that which Allah has preordained for you. And if all of them intend to do harm to you, they will not be able to afflict you with anything except that which Allah has predestined against you. The pens have been lifted and the pages have dried” [Ahmad & at-Tirmith]).
It is reported from ‘Umar (radiallaahu ‘anhu) that he said: “I am not worried about whether my du’aa is being answered or not, but I’m worried about not making du’aa. But if I am inspired to make du’aa, then the answer comes with it”
Therefore, we must be confident and certain that Allaah does respond to our du’aas. The Prophet (sallallaahu ‘alayhi wa sallam) said: "Call upon Allah with certainty of being answered. And know that Allah does not respond to the du'aa from a heart which is forgetful or frivolous." At-Tirmithi
From the etiquettes of du’aa are the following:
1. Ask Allaah using His Beautiful names: Allaah says:
7_180.png
(which means): And to Allaah belong the best names, so invoke Him by them (7:180)
2. Begin with hamd and thanaa (praising Allaah) and invoking peace and blessings on the Prophet (sallallaahu ‘alayhi wa sallam).
3. Be truthful and sincere in your requestes before Allaah.
4. Be persistent and do not be hasty.
5. Repeat your request three times.
6. Make certain your food, drink and clothing (provisions) are from lawful means.
7. Raise your hands in du’aa and face the qiblah.
8. Try to be in wudhu.
9. Keep your voice moderate; between audible and silent.
10. Don’t try too hard to make your du’aa rhyme (be poetic).
11. Do not transgress in your du’aa; don’t ask for anything unlawful, or to cut off ties with family and do not ask for that which is extreme.
12. Ask of Allaah only.Dear pilgrim, of the people there are those who utter the testimony of faith (shahaadah) and think that it is sufficient for them. However, their words and actions contradict their claim (of tawheed). The proof of this is that they turn to other than Allaah and fall into shirk which angers Allaah and earns them His wrath and distance from Him. Some turn to the prophet (sallallaahu ‘alayhi wa sallam) in du’aa while others turn to Ali, al Hasan and al Husayn (radiyallaahu ‘anhum) and yet others turn to righteous people (who are deceased) and other creatures of Allaah. These people have have commited the worst of crimes and have strayed.
46_5.png
46_6.png

(which means): And who is more astray than he who invokes besides Allaah those who will not respond to him until the Day of Resurrection, and they, of their invocation, are unaware. And when the people are gathered [that Day], they [who were invoked] will be enemies to them, and they will be deniers of their worship. (46:5-6)So be careful to worship Allaah alone and to call upon Him alone and not turn to anyone else (saints/pirs, prophets, angels, etc…). All praise belongs to Him Who said: "Call upon Me; I will respond to you".
13. Presence of mind and heart along with sincerity in turning to Allaah. 14. Use supplications found in the sunnah and include the greatest name of Allaah.

Some Words of Remembrance and Supplications

The Prophet (sallallaahu ‘alayhi wa sallam) said: "The best supplication on the Day of `Arafah and the best thing that I and the Prophets before me said is: There is no deity worthy of worship but Allah Alone. He has no partners. To Him alone belong the Kingdom and all praise. He has power over all things."
It is authentically reported that the prophet (sallallaahu ‘alayhi wa sallam) said: The most beloved of speech to Allaah are four (phrases): (glorified is Allaah, all praise is due to Allaah, there is none worthy of worship besides Allaah and Allaah is Great)
025-69.gif

He (sallallaahu ‘alayhi wa sallam) also said: Two words/phrases are light on the tongue, weighty on the scale and beloved to the Most Merciful:
128-251.gif

(Glory be to Allah and His is the praise, (and) Allah, the Greatest is free from imperfection)

And during times of anxiety/grief the prophet (sallallaahu ‘alayhi wa sallam) used to say:
035-118.gif

(There is no god but Allaah, the All-Powerful, the Forbearing; there is no god but Allaah, Lord of the mighty Throne; there is no god but Allaah, Lord of heaven, Lord of earth, and Lord of the noble Throne)
And he (sallallaahu ‘alayhi wa sallam) used to say: Allaahumma rahmataka arju fa la takilni ila nafsi tarfata ‘aynin wa aslih li sha’ni kullahu, laa ilaaha illa anta (O Allaah, for Your mercy I hope, so do not abandon me to myself even for a moment. And correct all my affairs. There is no god but You (O Allaah, correct my religious commitment which is the foundation of my life, and correct my worldly affairs in which is my livelihood, and grant me good in the Hereafter to which is my return. Make my life a means of accumulating good, and make death a respite for me from all evil)
He used to say: Allaahumma innee as'alukal-hudaa wat-tuqaa wal-'afaafa wal-ghinaa
(O Allaah! I ask You for guidance, piety, safety and well-being, and contentment and sufficiency)
(O Allaah, I seek protection in You from the snatching of any of Your favours and the releasing of your protection, and of sudden calamity, and of all forms of Your anger).
‘Aaishah (radiyallaahu ‘anhaa) reported that the Prophet (sallaahu ‘alayhi wa sallam) told her to supplicate with this supplication: ?(O Allaah, I ask You for all goodness, now and later on, that which I know and that which I do not know; I seek refuge in You from all evil, now and later on, that which I know and that which I do not know. I ask you for Paradise and the words and deeds that will bring me closer to it, and I seek refuge in You from Hell and from the words and deeds that would bring me closer to it. I ask You for that which Muhammad asked You for, and seek refuge in You from that from which Muhammad sought refuge; whatever You decreed for me, make its consequences good.)
It is important also that you ask for forgiveness abundantly and repent a true and sincere repentance. Beg from Allaah the best of both worlds and invoke peace and blessings on the Prophet (sallallaahu ‘alayhi wa sallam) plentifully.The Prophet (sallallaahu ‘alayhi wa sallam) often repeated the du’aa (O Allaah, give us in this world [that which is] good and in the Hereafter [that which is] good and protect us from the punishment of the Fire.)
In Conclusion I ask Allaah to accept from us and you our good deeds and I call upon Him with the du’aa of our father ibraaheem and his son Ismaeel: (Our Lord, accept [this] from us. Indeed You are the Hearing, the Knowing).

Visiting the Masjid (Mosque) of the Prophet (sallallaahu ‘alayhi wa sallam)

Visiting the Prophet’s Masjid is prescribed and recommended as it is one of the three mosques to which one may make an effort to travel to for the sake of praying and worshipping therein. Abu Hurayrah (RA) narrates from the Prophet (sallallaahu ‘alayhi wa sallam) that he said: You should not undertake a special journey to visit any place other than the three Mosques: the Sacred Mosque of Makkah, this Mosque of mine, and Al-Aqsa Mosque (in Jerusalem). [Bukhaari and Muslim]. He also narrates that the Prophet (sallallaahu ‘alayhi wa sallam) said: One prayer in this Mosque of mine is better than a thousand prayers offered anywhere else except the Sacred Mosque. [reported by the group]. And in the narration of Abdullaah ibn az-Zubayr as reported by Ahmad, he (sallallaahu ‘alayhi wa sallam) said: …and a prayer in the Sacred Mosque is better than a hundred prayers in this one.
Abu Hurayrah (RA) also narrates that the Prophet (sallallaahu ‘alayhi wa sallam) said: Between my house and my minbar is a garden (raudhah) from the gardens of paradise, and my minbar is on my haudh (cistern). [Bukhari].
Therefore, it is sunnah for the pilgrim as well as others to visit the masjid of the Prophet (sallallaahu ‘alayhi wa sallam) either before or after Hajj in order to offer salaah (prayers) in it. However, it is not a condition or a part of the Hajj; as a matter of fact, visiting the masjid of the Prophet (sallallaahu ‘alayhi wa sallam) has no connection with the Hajj itself.
When entering the masjid of the Prophet (sallallaahu ‘alayhi wa sallam) one should do so with the right foot (first) and and say the prescribed du’aa for entering a masjid. Following is an example of one such du’aa: Bismillah wassalatu wassalamu ala rasulillahi, Allahumma ighfir lee dhunubee wa iftah lee Abwaba Rahmatik, Allahumma Inni A’uthu Billahi Al-Adhim, Wa Wajhihi Al-Kareem, Wa Sultanihi Al-Qadim mina Shaitani rajim.
(In the Name of Allaah, O Allaah! Bless Mohammad, his family and his followers. O Allaah! Forgive my sins, and open the doors of Your mercy for me. I seek refuge with Allaah, the Supreme, with His Noble Face, and with His Eternal Dominion from the accursed devil.)
You should then pray two raka’ah tahiyyat al masjid as prescribed by the Prophet (sallallaahu ‘alayhi wa sallam): When one of you enters the masjid, let him not sit until he prays two raka’ahs. [Bukhari and Muslim].
If possible, one should try and pray in the “raudhah” due to the virtue of the place. Note that if it is too busy and securing a place there means pushing, shoving and inconveniencing others, then one is better off praying elsewhere in the masjid. One also needs to pay attention to the fact that praying the fardh (obligatory) prayer in the first row is more meritorious than praying in the raudhah. Therefore, if you can pray in the front rows it is better than praying in the raudhah for the fardh. The Prophet (sallallaahu ‘alayhi wa sallam) said: The best of rows for the men are the front row. He also said: If the people knew what (reward) there is in the call and the first row, and there was no other way to settle the matter than drawing lots, they would draw lots for it. [Bukhari and Muslim]
Visiting the Grave of the Prophet (sallallaahu ‘alayhi was allam) and the graves of his two companions
After offering salaah in the masjid, one may proceed to the graves and greet the Prophet (sallallaahu ‘alayhi wa sallam) and his two companions, Abu Bakr and ‘Omar (radhiyallaahu ‘anhumaa).
· Stand facing the grave of the Prophet (sallallaahu ‘alayhi wa sallam) with back towards the qiblah and say (for example): – as-salaamu ‘alayka ayyuhan- Nabiyyu wa Rahmatullaahi wa Barakaatuh (May the peace, blessings and mercy of Allaah be upon you Oh Prophet). And if one were to add to that using some appropriate wordings it would be acceptable. Ibn ‘Omar (radhiyallaahu ‘anhu) used to go and say: – as-Salaamu ‘alayka yaa Rasoolallaah, as-salaamu ‘alayka yaa Abaa Bakr, As-Salaamu ‘Alayka yaa Abati (Peace be upon you Oh Messenger of Allaah, Peace be upon you Oh Abu Bakr, Peace be upon you Oh father… then he would leave).
· Step towards the right so you are in line with the grave of Abu Bakr and while facing it say (for example): – As-Salaamu ‘Alayka yaa Abaa Bakr. As-Salaamu ‘Alayka yaa Khaleefata Rasoolillaah fee ummatihi. Radhiyallaahi ‘anka wa jazaaka ‘an ummati Muhammadin Khayran. (Peace be upon you Oh Abu Bakr. Peace be upon you Oh caliph of the Messenger of Allaah. May Allaah be please with you and reward you with good on behalf of the ummah of Muhammad)
· Then right again so as to be in line with the grave of ‘Omar (radhiyallaahu ‘anhu) and say (for example): – As-Salaamu ‘Alayka yaa ‘Omar. As-Salaamu ‘Alayka yaa Ameera al Mumineen. Radhiyallaahu ‘anka wa jazaaka ‘an ummati Muhammadin Khayran. (Peace be upon you Oh ‘Omar. Peace be upon you Oh leader of the believers. May Allaah be plased with you and reward with good on behalf of the ummah of Muhammad). One should say salaam to the prophet (sallallaahu ‘alayhi wa sallam) and his two companions with good manners and while lowering the voice. It is not recommended that one stand for a long period of time before the grave of the Prophet (sallallaahu ‘alayhi wa sallam) and the graves of his companions engaging in du’aa. This is not from the guidance of our pious predecessors. Note also that it is not required for one to go to the graves regularly (as some believe one needs to go after every salaah). The companions of the Prophet (sallallaahu ‘alayhi wa sallam) did not do so and they were more knowledgeable of this deen than those who followed them and they loved the Prophet (sallallaahu ‘alayhi wa sallam) more than others. Note also that it is unlawful (haraam) to ask anything of the prophet (sallallaahu ‘alayhi wa sallam), including asking him (directly) to intercede on our behalf before Allaah. Rather, we turn to Allaah, begging of Him to grant the Prophet (sallallaahu ‘alayhi wa sallam) permission to intercede don our behalf on the Day of Judgement.
While in Madinah, it is also recommended that one goes to the baqee’ (graveyard next to the masjid) and greets the inhabitants of that graveyard using the duáas from the sunnah. For example: - Assalaamu alaikum ahlad diyaar minal mumineena wal muslimeena. Wa innaa Inshaa'allahu bikum la-laahikoon. Nas alul laaha lanaa wala kumul ‘aafiyah. ( May the Peace (of Allah) be upon you, O people of this land (the graveyard), who are among the Believers! Insha Allah, we too shall (soon) be joining you. We ask Allah protection for you and for ourselves.)
There is also no harm in one visiting sites such as Uhud in order to remember what transpired there and to greet and pray for the martyrs. One should also make an effort to go to masjid Qubaa and offer salaah in it as the Prophet (sallallaahu ‘alayhi wa sallam) used to visit it every Saturday. One who offers a salaah in Masjid Qubaa attains the reward of performing an ‘umrah.

queenislam

★★★I LOVE ALLAH★★★
~May Allah reward you tremendously for you good effort~Amin!

:bismillah:
:salam2:

:ma:
Alhamdulillah!

:jazaak:
Thank you for sharing these super informative here.
:ma:

~May Allah guide and help us all~Amin!

Thank you sooo much,
Take Care!

~Wassalam .