"Pray upon the prophet" - What does that mean?

NewMuslim

Slave of Allah
:salam2: wa rahmatullah wa barakatuh

I was reading a wikipedia article on Du'a, and it states that you must praise Allah and "pray upon the prophet" when performing Du'a, citing this Hadith:

Once a man said, "O Allah, forgive me and have mercy and have mercy on me!" This was after the man had finished two raka'ats. The Prophet Muhammad sal Allahu Alayhi Wa Sallam said, "You have been hasty, O worshipper! When you finish your prayer, then sit down and praise Allah with the praise that he is worthy of, and pray upon me, then state your du'a..."

So, my question is: what does it mean to "pray upon the prophet"? Does that mean to just do the same as we do in our salats (Allahuma Salli Ala Muhammad wa Ala Ali Muhammad, the 2nd Tashahhud)?

:wasalam:

samiha

---------
Staff member
Assalam.

Yes, ‘pray upon the Prophet (saws)’ is that Dua… It’s meaning is here.

Said Ibn 'Abbas, "The Messenger of Allah used to teach us the tashahud like he taught us the Qur'an. He would say, 'Salutations, blessings, prayers and good deeds for Allah. Peace be upon you, O Prophet, and the mercy of Allah and His blessings. Peace be upon us and the sincere slaves of Allah. I bear witness that there is no god except Allah. I bear witness that Muhammad is His slave and messenger." (Related by ash-Shaifi, Muslim, Abu Dawud and anNasa'i.)

Bro. I really suggest, do NOT trust Wikipedia completely!!! By trying to get a NPOV, they often mess things up. REGULAR people could go and edit pages, because of this I recommend things from a scholar, not Wikipedia.

Ayep

Yes brother,

That is just one of salutations or blessings in prayer to Prophet Muhammad:saw(Ibrahimiyah type):

http://www.islamtomorrow.com/articles/salat_audio_tashahud.asp
Al-Lahumma Şalli `Alaá Muĥammadin Wa `Alaá 'Āli Muĥammadin Kamā Şallayta `Alaá 'Ibrāhīma Wa `Alaá 'Āli 'Ibrāhīma
meaning(as you already know I think)
O Allah, bless Muhammad and his family as You blessed Ibrahim and his family.

There are a a few other types but as sister samiha mentioned, ask from a scholar.

Allah knows best

NewMuslim

Slave of Allah
Thank you for the replies. That cleared things up for me. JazakAllah Khair.

Also, I was told the same thing from a teacher in school a last month ago, samiha :D Dunno why I always go there...