prayer

muminah92

asalaam w3likum brothers and sisters
is it premissible for people to pray earlier coz they have to go somewhere and they can't wait till it is time for salaah
peace

Idris16

i think you should post hadeeth brother sirajstc as to know if its true!

sis muminah you can pray earlier if you are going to travel.

muminah92

i think you should post hadeeth brother sirajstc as to know if its true!

sis muminah you can pray earlier if you are going to travel.

jazak allah kahiran
so if it isn't for traveling u can't pray like 10 mins earlier
thanks and yea ur right it would be great to post a hadeeth if u could thanks
peace

Idris16

A traveller joined two prayers together at the time of the earlier one, then he went back to his city before the time for the later prayer began.

When I am travelling, I join together Zuhr and ‘Asr, or Maghrib and ‘Isha’, at the time of the earlier one of the two, and shorten the prayers. But sometimes it so happens that I go back to my own city before the adhaan for the later of the two prayers, or shortly after it. Should I repeat the obligatory prayer or is it waived in either case because I have already offered it, joined to the other prayer at the time of the earlier prayer and shortened?.

Praise be to Allaah.

The concession regarding prayer that are connected to travel is that one is allowed to join Zuhr and ‘Asr, and Maghrib and ‘Isha’, at the time of the earlier or later of the two.

The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) did not make it a habit to join his prayers on all his journeys; rather he joined prayers sometimes and did not join prayers sometimes, praying each prayer at its own time instead.

Hence the scholars said: it is better for the traveller not to join his prayers unless he needs to because it will be too difficult for him to do each prayer at its usual time, even though the concession allowing joining of prayers is established for every traveller.

See al-Mughni, 3/131; al-Sharh al-Mumti’, 4/550-553

Once it is established that you come under the definition of a traveller, then it becomes permissible to join the prayers, even if you know that you will return to your city before the end of the time for the second prayer, or before the time for it begins, because the evidence indicates that it is permissible for the traveller to join his prayers; so as long as a person is travelling, he may join his prayers.

In al-Majmoo’ (4/180), al-Nawawi (may Allaah have mercy on him) mentioned the difference of the scholars; there are two views concerning the issue of a traveller who joins two prayers at the time of the earlier one, but then reaches his destination and is no longer a traveller. Does his joining of the prayers then become invalid, requiring him to repeat the second prayer at its proper time, or not?

Then al-Nawawi (may Allaah have mercy on him) said: The more correct of the two scholarly views is that his joining of the prayers does not become invalid, the same as if he were to shorten the prayers and then reach his destination and no longer come under the heading of a traveller.

Al-Muwaffaq Ibn Qudaamah (may Allaah have mercy on him) said in al-Mughni (3/140):

If a person completed two prayers at the time of the earlier one, then the excuse for doing so ceased to exist after he had finished praying, before the time for the later prayer began, that is still sufficient and he does not have to repeat the later prayer when the time for it comes, because his prayer was valid and he discharged his duty to perform it, and that duty no longer applies after that. He discharged his duty at a time when he had an excuse, and it is not invalidated by the fact that the excuse ceases to exist after that. This is like the case of the one who does tayammum, if he finds water after finishing his prayer (he does not have to repeat it).

Shaykh Ibn ‘Uthaymeen (may Allaah have mercy on him) was asked about a traveller who joined Zuhr and ‘Asr at the time of the earlier prayer, although he knew that he would reach his destination before the time of ‘Asr. Is this permissible?

He replied:

Yes, this is permissible, but if he knows or he thinks it most likely that he will arrive before the time for ‘Asr, then it is better for him not to join the prayers, because there is no need to do so.

Majmoo’ Fataawa Ibn ‘Uthaymeen, 15/422.

The Standing Committee for Issuing Fatwas was asked about the same matter, and they replied:

… If you joined Maghrib and ‘Isha’ whilst travelling and shortened them, there is nothing wrong with that, even if you reached your destination at the time of ‘Isha’.

Fataawa al-Lajnah al-Daa’imah, 8/152.

And Allaah knows best.

Islam Q&A

Al-Kashmiri

Staff member
As-salaamu `alaykum.

The fatwa doesn't answer the question (but seems to contradict it); you can't pray before a prayer's entry time even when travelling, rather you wait for the prayer time to enter. The reply of sirajstc is incorrect, to a very great extent. One of the conditions for the acceptability of one's prayer is that the person prays in it's proper time, and not before (or after unless due to sleep, forgetfulness etc). That means that prayer before it's time is null and void, i.e. it is not accepted.

Regarding the traveller, then the fatwa above shows that one can combine the zhuhr with `asr, and maghrib with `eeshaa. However, that doesn't equate to praying before the time now does it? What I mean is that you cannot join zhuhr with asr by praying before zhuhr begins! Also, the shari`ah has defined the minimum travelling distance which permits one to shorten or combine their prayers, though the scholars differ over whether the minimum distance which allows one to combine his/her salaah, is 80 or so kilometers or if that distance is defined by local customs.

A final reminder to brothers and sisters to provide evidance to your claims, and not to speak without having knowledge of a particular issue.

Minimum distance of travel at which it is permissible not to fast and to shorten prayers

What is the minimum distance of traveling at which the fasting is exused.

Praise be to Allaah.

The majority of scholars are of the view that the distance at which a traveler may join prayers and not fast is forty-eight miles. Ibn Qudaamah said in al-Mughni:

The view of Abu ‘Abd-Allaah [i.e., Imam Ahmad] is that it is not permissible to shorten the prayers for a distance of less than sixteen farsakhs, and a farsakh is three miles, so the distance is forty-eight miles. This was the estimation of Ibn ‘Abbaas. He said: From ‘Usfaan to Makkah, or from al-Taa’if to Makkah, or from Jeddah to Makkah.

Based on this, the distance at which it is permissible to shorten prayers is the distance of two days’ travel aiming directly for that dsetination. This is the view of Ibn ‘Abbaas and Ibn ‘Umar, and the view of Maalik, al-Layth and al-Shaafa’i.

The equivalent in kilometers is approximately 80 km.

Shaykh Ibn Baaz said in Majmoo’ al-Fataawa (12/267), explaining what is meant by traveling:

The view of the majority of scholars is that this is equivalent to approximately eighty kilometers for one who travels by car, plane or ship. This distance is what is called traveling according to the custom of the Muslims. So if a person travels by camel, car, plane or ship, for this distance or more, he is regarded as a traveler.

The Standing Committee was asked (8/90) about the distance at which a traveler may shorten his prayers, and can a taxi-driver who covers more than three hundred kilometers shorten his prayer?

They replied:

The distance at which a traveler may shorten his prayers is approximately 80 km, according to the view of the majority of scholars. It is permissible for a taxi driver or anyone else to shorten his prayers, if he is going to cover the distance mentioned at the beginning of the question, or more.

Some scholars are of the view that traveling is not to be defined by a specific distance, rather it should be defined according to custom: whatever people customarily regard as traveling is the traveling to which the shar’i rulings apply, such as joining and shortening prayers, and not fasting.

Shaykh al-Islam said in al-Fataawa (24/106): The evidence supports those who regard shortening prayers and not fasting as being applicable to all types of travel and do not single out one kind of traveling to the exclusion of another. This view is the correct one.

Shaykh Ibn ‘Uthayemeen was asked in Fataawa Arkaan al-Islam (p. 381) about the distance at which a traveler may shorten his prayers and whether it is permissible to join prayers without shortening them.

He replied:

The distance at which a traveler may shorten his prayers was defined by some of the scholars as being approximately eighty-three kilometers, and some defined it as being what is customarily regarded as traveling, even if the distance is not 80 km, and that what the people say is not traveling should not be regarded as such, even if it is as far as one hundred kilometers.

The latter view is the view favoured by Shaykh al-Islam Ibn Taymiyah (may Allaah have mercy on him), because Allaah did not state a specific distance for it to be permissible to shorten prayers, and neither did the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him).

Anas ibn Maalik (may Allaah be pleased with him) said: If the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) set out for a journey of three miles or three farsakhs, he would pray two rak’ahs. Narrated by Muslim, 691.

The view of Shaykh al-Islam Ibn Taymiyah is closer to what is correct.

There is nothing wrong, if there is a conflict between customary views, in going by the opinion which suggests that travel should be defined in terms of distance, because this was the view of some of the imams and scholars and mujtahids. So there is nothing wrong with that in sha Allah. But so long as custom gives a clear definition, then referring to what is customary is the right thing to do.
Islam Q&A