Qadha Fasts ( for sisters )

Jay

Salaams everyone. Hope you all are doing good insha Allah :)

I have a question. And really urgent. I need to observe Qadha fasts that I missed during Ramadhan because I had just given birth. I know I need to fast the missed ones, but I was reading through the rulings on some website and some sites mentioned something about breaking the fast before Dhuhr ? Is that permissible, if yes, under what circumstances ?

I've never heard of that ruling before. Do answer please if you can.

Jazak Allah

um muhammad al-mahdi

لا اله الا الله محمد رسول الله
Staff member
Assalamu Alaykum sister,

What do you mean breaking the fast before dhuhr?

You should fast just like if in Ramadan (or any other voluntary fast), from fajr to maghreb.

Jay

Walaikum Salaam sis...thanks for your reply :)

I am aware of that but I read it in a couple of websites and just got confused coz I've never heard of it before. This is what it said :

A person who observes a qadha for the fast of Ramadhan can break his fast before Zuhr. However, if the time for qadha fast is short, it is better not to break it.

um muhammad al-mahdi

لا اله الا الله محمد رسول الله
Staff member
Assalamu Alaykum sister,

Do they give any proof from the Qur'an and/or Sunnah? Is the person who said so a knowledgable person on the right manhaj? Be careful! We should always refer to people of 'real' knowledge, inshallah.

Janaan

ربنا اغفر لنا ذنوبنا
Staff member
Assalaamu `alaiki warahmatullaah, sister.

First, welcome to the site, dear sister. And Maashaa'Allaah, congratulations on giving birth, I pray that Allaah `azza wa jall counts your kid among those He'll be pleased with! =)

But I've never, ever heard of breaking a fast before Dhuhr prayer. This just sounds very strange. I've heard of people that *delay* breaking the fast but not this..

It was narrated that Abu Awfa (may Allaah be pleased with him) said: I was with the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) on a journey, and he fasted until the afternoon. Then he said to a man, “Go and prepare a specific kind of food for me.” The man said, “Why not wait until it is evening?” He said, “Go and prepare (that food) for me, and when you see that night has come from this direction, then the fasting person should break his fast.” Narrated by al-Bukhaari, 1857; Muslim, 1101.

It was narrated that Abu ‘Atiyyah said: Masrooq and I entered upon ‘Aa’ishah and said: O Mother of the Believers, there are two men among the companions of Muhammad (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him), one of whom hastens to break his fast and pray, and the other delays breaking the fast and prayer. She said: Who is it that hastens to break the fast and to pray? We said, ‘Abd-Allaah (meaning Ibn Mas’ood). She said: That is what the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) used to do.
Narrated by Muslim, 1099.
Al-Haafiz ibn Hajar said:

http://islamqa.info/en/ref/12470/

Read through this as well: What is the ruling on breaking a fast when making up an obligatory fast?
http://islamqa.info/en/ref/49985

Mahzala

فَتَبَارَكَ اللَّهُ أَحْسَنُ الْخَالِقِينَ
Walaikum Salaam sis...thanks for your reply :)

I am aware of that but I read it in a couple of websites and just got confused coz I've never heard of it before. This is what it said :

A person who observes a qadha for the fast of Ramadhan can break his fast before Zuhr. However, if the time for qadha fast is short, it is better not to break it.

Assalamu'alaykum and welcome to the site,

I have heard this before, and have looked into it quite a bit myself, as I have been pressured sometimes by family and friends to break my voluntary fasts with them saying: "It's okay, it's not Dhuhr yet." From what I have gathered through research, what you're saying applies to voluntary fasts, not the obligatory ones. Pregnancy is a legitimate reason to miss the fasts in Ramadhan (but of course, it is better to fast if it is not to the detriment of the mother and child), and while many women do give their fidya, they still feel the necessity to repay their missed fasts. Basically, if you've intended to repay the obligatory, and you break it, what you need to do is first repent, and repay the fast at another time.