Query

IbnAdam77

Travelling towards my grave.
is there a difference between a nabi and a rasool? Is there proof of this in al-quran and hadith?

assalam 'alaikum warahmatullahi wbarakatuh

Yes they are different. Rasools are those who brought a New Sharee'ah. Nabis are those who were sent to continue the Sharee'ah of Rasool who were before him or who is with him. Rasools are given with books.

Both Rsools and Nabis are sent from Allah (swt) with clear signs for their call (i,e: Mu'ujizaah).

I hope other brothers or sisters will provide you proof for that.

According to 'Ulama, there were 313 Rasools and 124,000 Nabis sent form Allah (swt). All of them called for one religion and that is al-Islam. Allahu Akbar! Allahu Akbar! Allahu Akbar!

Each Rasool is a Nabi but Each Nabi is not a Rasool. Hope you understood what I meant.

Quran mentions about 25 Nabis (Rasools included) and another 2 Nabis are known from Hadith. They are;

1) Sheeth (alaihissalam):- Allah (swt) slowed the speed of Sun for this Nabi while Muslims were in a war with Kuffar, because in that time, the war will automatically be stopped until the morning of next day if sun sets.

2) Usha'u bin Noon (alaihissalam):- This is the Nabi who accompanied Musa (alaihissalam) in the Journey of Learning.

Hope this helps a little.

wassalam 'alaikum warahmatullahi wabarakatuh

-brother IbnAdam-