Quest to be on the top.

Ibrahim_nur

Quest to be on the top
By Mariam Anwer
Ever played those word puzzles and brain teasers on Facebook or other websites? Subhan Allah! They are not only interesting but also extremely addictive. When I started, I wanted to be the one with the highest points – to be No. 1 among my friends.
I believe we all feel like that. Competitions and races are a part of life, I think. This quest for being the best in whatever we do is, and will always be, our objective in life. We exert our utmost efforts for the best grades, the best job, the prettiest looks, the most gorgeous of dresses and for being on top of everything that life has in offer. But have we ever wondered about the competition regarding our Religion?
What about competing to be the best in complying with Allah’s rules and staying away from His prohibitions? We have become so preoccupied in worldly affairs – racing with each other for popularity, beauty, wealth and status – that we have totally forgotten about the race which we really should be competing in. Allah instructs us in a beautiful way:

“Race toward forgiveness from your Lord and a Garden whose width is like the width of the heavens and earth, prepared for those who believed in Allah and His Messengers. That is the bounty of Allah, which He gives upon whom He wills, and Allah is the owner of great bounty.” (Qur’an, 57:21)

“And march forth in the way (which leads to) forgiveness from your Lord, and for Paradise as wide as are the heavens and the earth, prepared for the righteous.” (Qur’an, 3:133)

“So flee to Allah (from His Torment to His Mercy)...” (Qur’an, 51:50)

“...So hasten towards all that is good…” (Qur’an, 2:148)

Allah also mentions the rewards and pleasures He will give us at the end of this race:

“Verily, the pious will be in delight (Paradise). On thrones, looking (at all things). You will recognize in their faces the brightness of delight. They will be given to drink pure sealed wine. The last thereof (that wine) will be the smell of musk, and for this let (all) those strive who want to strive (i.e. hasten earnestly to the obedience of Allah). It (that wine) will be mixed with Tasnim. A spring whereof drink those nearest to Allah. ” (Qur’an, 83:22-28)

No doubt, the skins shiver and the eyes become moist when we reflect about the race for which we really should be competing. This is actually what life is all about – racing and competing with each other to gain the most of Allah’s mercy, love and pleasure.
It is the supreme race to success and happiness in the hereafter – the everlasting and eternal life. It is not latest dresses in fashion or branded shoes that matter, because these are temporary. Islamic way of life is what matters. Why then do we disobey Allah to please the people around us? Just to fit with them though they cannot help us in the hereafter!
There are people who humbly submit to Allah with heart, body and soul. They become true examples and role models for Muslims around them. One of their traits is beautifully mentioned in the following Hadith:
Umm-ul-Mu’mineen, Ayesha (may Allah be pleased with her) narrated: I asked Allah’s Messenger (peace be upon him) if the verse, “And they give what they give while their hearts are full of fear...” (Qur’an, 23:60), (referred to) people who drank alcohol and committed theft.
He (peace be upon him) replied, “No, daughter of As-Siddiq, but they are those who fast, pray and give charity while fearing that their (good) deeds may not be accepted from them (by Allah). They are those who compete with one another in good deeds.” (Al-Tirmidhi and Ibn Majah)
Dear friends, let us join this noble competition. Let’s not become losers by burning out all our energy in competing for things that won’t last. Let us join the race that will bring true happiness in this world and the next.
“Those who believe and do righteous deeds... We will surely reward them according to the best of what they used to do.” (Qur’an, 29:7) – SG