Questin about HIJAB?

dalbadhar

:bismillah1:
:salam2:
Assalamaualaikum dear brothers and sisters in Islam,

I just want to clarify some doubts and confusions regarding HIJAB.. :hijabi:

HIJAB means cover the body from Head to Toe except hand upto wrist and face right? Some scholars having different opinion, that is another topic.

Now my question is ...

Wearing a normal dress (like punjabi Suit) that covers the whole body from head to toe is allowed in Islam or not.
I am not refering the outside Veil...

Please share with me the information ..

May Allah SWT bless us

Abu Sarah

Allahu Akbar
Staff member
i need more info about punjabi

Wearing a normal dress (like punjabi Suit) that covers the whole body from head to toe is allowed in Islam or not.

i need more info about punjabi

i didn't hear about it before:confused:

share more about punjabi ..

<wasalam>

dalbadhar

Punjabi suit is a dress originally from India ...
There are now different types of designs already ..
what i mention here is ..
That cover the whole hand upto wrist and top shirt go down until knees and lower pants cover until the ankle ..
if we use headscarves, it will cover the whole body,
I saw your link regarding the rulings of Hijab
and understood that if it was decorated then it is prohibited
because it attract guys ..
<Wasalam>

samiha

---------
Staff member
Assalam.

Are u talking abt clothes for men or women?

I'm just confused since u r a man...

We use the word Punjabi (or pretty close), but it's only for men and men have different obligations of awrah then women, and men shouldn't imitate women and women shouldn't imitate men.

Perhaps u could clearify ur question?

samiha

---------
Staff member
I knew that, but why ask about the Punjabi, is it a woman's dress?

Anyway.... what I am unsure of it would be unwise to talk about. I leave your questions to those more knowledgeable than I.

Wassalam.

Miss.R

i was having a discussion with some one on the net abt hijab n suddenly the person asked me this question and i was really dumb struck!:confused:
what would u have said wen faced with such a situation....
here is what she asked...

"i read in some topics this ridiculous example of a rape case:

there r 2 sisters one is wearin da hijab n other is wearin a mini skirt at da corner of da road dere is a ruffian standing 4 a catch.whom he woud tease sister whose wearin hijab or da one whose wearin mini skirt naturally one who is wearin mini skirt

well,let me give u a second example n then u answer.

there r 2 guys waitin on a road. one guy is allowed 2 hav female frnds,he respects women n treats them as equals. he loves a girl in his college n he is allowed 2 hav a relationship wid her n is happy wid his life. da other guy has seen no other female than his mother n sister,never talked 2 girls in a friendly,healthy way,looks at women as "lower" dan men,not allowed 2 masturbate or hav girlfriend. so obviously he's frustrated sexually.

now u tell me,which guy will rape a woman if she comes along? da first or da second? "

samiha

---------
Staff member
i was having a discussion with some one on the net abt hijab n suddenly the person asked me this question and i was really dumb struck!:confused:
what would u have said wen faced with such a situation....
here is what she asked...

"i read in some topics this ridiculous example of a rape case:

there r 2 sisters one is wearin da hijab n other is wearin a mini skirt at da corner of da road dere is a ruffian standing 4 a catch.whom he woud tease sister whose wearin hijab or da one whose wearin mini skirt naturally one who is wearin mini skirt

This is an example commenly given by Dr. Zakir Naik and trully it's not ridiculous.

well,let me give u a second example n then u answer.

there r 2 guys waitin on a road. one guy is allowed 2 hav female frnds,he respects women n treats them as equals. he loves a girl in his college n he is allowed 2 hav a relationship wid her n is happy wid his life.

The anoligies are biased. You see, not all men who are allowed to have female friends respects them. MANY men degrade women in the western society because they've already seen it all, they have been through woman after woman after woman. DO YOU CALL THAT RESPECT??
A take them and leave them theory?
It's a roller coaster life, your happy today, tomorrow u find ur gf has gone off with another guy. Are you still happy? Do you give respect to a woman, mixing with the opposite gender in all points then being dissapointed when the your 'loved one' leaves ya?
A society where the pretty have an advantage but the ugly lose.

da other guy has seen no other female than his mother n sister,never talked 2 girls in a friendly,healthy way,looks at women as "lower" dan men,not allowed 2 masturbate or hav girlfriend. so obviously he's frustrated sexually.

Just like the first example, is this guy a good MUSLIM ask urself that... ISLAM creates JUSTICE BETWEEN GENDERS. What right then does a Muslim man have to look down on anyone, especially women?? none. This man if trully he feels the way this person discribes then he is not really a good Muslim and doesn't fall on the same category.

Islam is PERFECT. If a man practiced Islam and read it's teachings he would respect all the women of the world. A MUSLIM man would be ASHAMED of touching a woman he was not married to. He would know HOW BIG a sin ZINA was. A true MUSLIM man would respect a woman's body, knowing she is more precious than that. He knows his restrictions and loves his lord. The man would get married if he is frustrated.

Don't mix ISLAM with injustice, especially towards women.

Forgive me for any offense...

Wassalam.

nurislam

Assallmuakum,

Covering the Aurah is a must for every men and women in Islam. The most debated is about the women's aurah(although I think it should not be). I'm sorry if my limited understanding is going to offend my muslim brothers and sisters in this site that have thier own opinion base on their own study of Islam, but it is clearly stated that the aurah of a women is every part of the body except the face and the palm of her hand and not the wrist as someone pointed out earlier. The covering of the face is allowed in islam and sometime under certain circumstances encouraged, but as I have studied, it is NOT a requirement. Then again I respect those who have different views, as I think we muslims should not bicker on such things because it will create a division in the Ummah. Wallahualam.

dalbadhar

Yes Sister, Punjabi suit is a womens dress ..
Not only Punjab peoples wearing but many peoples wearing it now..
I dont know how to explain about the punjabi suit..
its Ok..
So My understamding now is ..
One should wear veil over their normal clothes in front of Non-Mahrams (strangers) even though the normal cloth is covered fully..
If i am mistaken, please let me know ..
we shall discuss further ..
Wasalaam

samiha

---------
Staff member
If the cloth is bright, decorated, has bells or sounds and shows shape of body then yes she has to wear the outer covering.

Plus, if she is wearing bracelets and they become apparent then she must cover them as well.

Khadijah

now u tell me,which guy will rape a woman if she comes along? da first or da second? "

Ok, but a lot of rapists have wives or girlfriends so frustration has nothing to do with it. And where did this idea that men who practice restraint their whole lives suddenly will change their character and be unable to control themselves the minute they lay eyes on an uncovered woman come from anyway? What a ridiculous analogy.

Khadijah

Abu Sarah

Allahu Akbar
Staff member
Yes Sister, Punjabi suit is a womens dress ..
Not only Punjab peoples wearing but many peoples wearing it now..
I dont know how to explain about the punjabi suit..
its Ok..
So My understamding now is ..
One should wear veil over their normal clothes in front of Non-Mahrams (strangers) even though the normal cloth is covered fully..
If i am mistaken, please let me know ..
we shall discuss further ..
Wasalaam

salam Alaykum / Brother,dalbadhar

i get Punjabi then i see it's not Allowed in islam ...

woman in islam should hide All her hair parts...and her face..

andi n islam that's not Allowed..it's haraam..

================================
Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“and not to show off their adornment except only that which is apparent (like both eyes for necessity to see the way, or outer palms of hands or one eye or dress like veil, gloves, headcover, apron), and to draw their veils all over Juyoobihinna (i.e. their bodies, faces, necks and bosoms) and not to reveal their adornment except to their husbands, or their fathers, or their husband’s fathers, or their sons, or their husband’s sons, or their brothers or their brother’s sons, or their sister’s sons, or their (Muslim) women”
[al-Noor 24:31].

Al-Baghawi (may Allaah have mercy on him) said: The words of Allaah, may He be exalted, and not to show off their adornment”, mean that they should not show their adornments to a non-mahram. What is meant here is the hidden adornments, as there are two kinds of adornment, hidden and apparent. Hidden adornments include anklets, henna on the foot, bracelets on the wrist, earrings and necklaces. It is not permissible for a woman to show these, or for a stranger (non-mahram) to look at them. And what is meant by adornment is the place where the adornment is worn. End quote.

Hijab is obligatory for all Muslim women who have reached the age of puberty. In the answer to question no. 12525 you will find an explanation that the face is ‘awrah. We have already quoted the evidence that it is obligatory to cover it in the answer to question no. 21134 and 21536. In the answer to question no. 11774 you will find detailed evidence stating that hijab is obligatory for all women. This general obligation is indicated by the verse in which Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):
“O Prophet! Tell your wives and your daughters and the women of the believers to draw their cloaks (veils) all over their bodies (i.e. screen themselves completely except the eyes or one eye to see the way). That will be better, that they should be known (as free respectable women) so as not to be annoyed. And Allaah is Ever Oft‑Forgiving, Most Merciful”
[al-Ahzaab 33:59]

The women of the Muhaajireen and Ansaar obeyed that command.
‘Aa’ishah (may Allaah be pleased with her) said: “May Allaah have mercy on the first Muhaajir women. When Allaah revealed the words ‘and to draw their veils all over Juyoobihinna (i.e. their bodies, faces, necks and bosoms)[al-Noor 24:31]
they tore their aprons and covered their faces (akhtamarna) with them.”
Narrated by al-Bukhaari, 4480; Abu Dawood, 4102

What is meant by akhtamarna is covering the face, as al-Haafiz Ibn Hajar stated in al-Fath, 8/490.

It was narrated that Umm Salamah said: When the words ‘draw their cloaks (veils) all over their bodies’ were revealed, the women of the Ansaar went out as if there were crows on their heads because of the way they covered themselves.

Narrated by Abu Dawood, 4101; classed as saheeh by Shaykh al-Albaani in Saheeh Abu Dawood.

Undoubtedly many of the women of the Muhaajireen and Ansaar were known to be blessed with beauty, but no one thought that this ruling applied only to them and not to others.​
These ahaadeeth show that the women of the Muhaajireen and Ansaar obeyed the command to cover their faces and they did not understand the command as applying only to those who were beautiful.

The scholars have explained that this ruling is general in meaning and applies to all women.

In his commentary on the verse ‘draw their cloaks (veils) all over their bodies’, al-Jassaas al-Hanafi (may Allaah have mercy on him) said:
This verse indicates that young women are commanded to cover their faces in front of strangers (non-mahram men) and to be modest when they go out lest people with suspicious minds raise their hopes when they see them.​
Ahkaam al-Qur’aan, 5/245.

Ibn Jazi’ al-Kalbi al-Maaliki (may Allaah have mercy on him) said:
The Arab women used to uncover their faces as slave women do, which was an invitation to men to look at them. So Allaah commanded them to cover themselves with their jilbaabs and cover their faces with them.
Al-Tas-heel li ‘Uloom al-Tanzeel, 3/144

Shaykh al-Islam ibn Taymiyah (may Allaah have mercy on him) said: It is not permissible for women to uncover their faces where non-mahrams can see them. The people in authority have to enjoin what is good and forbid this evil and others. Whoever does not obey should be punished for that in a way that will deter him (from doing it again).​
Majmoo’ al-Fataawa, 24/382

Al-Suyooti (may Allaah have mercy on him) said:
This is the verse of hijab which applies to all women and shows that they are obliged to cover their heads and faces.​
Awn al-Ma’bood, 11/106
See also the answer to question no. 13646

===========================

It is also the view expressed in fatwas by contemporary scholars such as ‘Abd al-‘Azeez ibn Baaz, Ibn ‘Uthaymeen, the scholars of the Standing Committee (al-Lajnah al-Daa’imah) and others.

The Standing Committee, under the leadership of Shaykh ‘Abd al-‘Azeez ibn Baaz, was asked the following question: Is the woman’s face ‘awrah?

They replied:

“Yes, the woman’s face is ‘awrah according to the more correct of the two scholarly opinions.”
Majallat al-Buhooth al-Islamiyyah, 24/75.

It should be noted that when there is a difference of opinion, Muslims are obliged to refer to the Book of Allaah and the Sunnah of His Messenger (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him), as Allaah commanded when He said (interpretation of the meaning):​
“(And) if you differ in anything amongst yourselves, refer it to Allaah and His Messenger, if you believe in Allaah and in the Last Day”
[al-Nisa’ 4:59]

By referring to the Book of Allaah and the Sunnah of His Messenger (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him), it becomes clear that the Muslim woman is obliged to cover her face in front of non-mahram men. There follows some of the evidence for that:

1 – Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“O Prophet! Tell your wives and your daughters and the women of the believers to draw their cloaks (veils) all over their bodies (i.e. screen themselves completely except the eyes or one eye to see the way). That will be better, that they should be known (as free respectable women) so as not to be annoyed. And Allaah is Ever Oft‑Forgiving, Most Merciful”

Al-Bukhaari narrated that ‘Aa’ishah said: “May Allaah have mercy on the Muhaajir women! When Allaah revealed the words ‘and to draw their veils all over Juyoobihinna (i.e. their bodies, faces, necks and bosoms)’ [al-Noor 24:31 – interpretation of the meaning] they tore their aprons and covered their faces with them.” See also question no. 6991.​

2 – Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“And tell the believing women to lower their gaze (from looking at forbidden things), and protect their private parts (from illegal sexual acts) and not to show off their adornment except only that which is apparent”
[al-Noor 24:31]

In this verse, Allaah forbids showing all adornment except that which is apparent, which is that which a woman cannot avoid showing, such as the outer garment. Hence Allaah said except only that which is apparent, and He did not say, except that which they show. Then He again forbade showing any adornment, except to those for whom an exception is made [“and not to reveal their adornment except to their husbands, their fathers…”
al-Noor 24:31 – interpretation of the meaning]”.​

This indicates that the adornment mentioned in the second phrase is not like the adornment mentioned in the first; the first adornment is that which appears in all cases and cannot be hidden, and the second adornment is that which is hidden, and is done deliberately [but concealed from all but those mentioned in this verse]. If it were permissible for everyone to see the hidden adornment, then there would be not point of speaking in general terms about the first and making an exception in the case of the second adornment.​

3 – Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

Ibn ‘Abbaas (may Allaah be pleased with him) said: “Allaah commanded the believing women, when they go out of their houses for some need, to cover their faces from the top of the head with the jilbaab, and to leave only one eye showing.”​

=======================

Correct view on the ruling on covering the face
=======================

The correct view is that a woman is obliged to cover her entire body, even the face and hands. Imam Ahmad said that even the nails of a woman are ‘awrah, and this is also the view of Maalik (may Allaah have mercy on them both). Shaykh al-Islam Ibn Taymiyah (may Allaah have mercy on him) said:

“… It seems that the view of Ahmad is that every part of her is ‘awrah, even her nails, and this is also the view of Maalik.”
(Majmoo’ al-Fataawa, 22/110).

In contrast to those who say that this is not obligatory, if we examine the views of those who say that it is not obligatory for women to cover the face, we will see that it is as Shaykh Bakr Abu Zayd (may Allaah preserve him) said:​
“One of the following three scenarios must apply:

1 – There is clear, sound evidence, but it has been abrogated by the verses that enjoin hijaab…

2 – There is sound evidence but it is not clear, and it does not constitute strong evidence when taken in conjunction with the definitive evidence from the Qur’aan and Sunnah that the face and hands must be covered…

3 – There is clear evidence, but it is not sound…”
(Hiraasat al-Fadeelah, p. 68-69)
With regard to the evidence that it is obligatory to cover the face and hands:​

“O Prophet! Tell your wives and your daughters and the women of the believers to draw their cloaks (veils) all over their bodies (i.e. screen themselves completely except the eyes or one eye to see the way). That will be better, that they should be known (as free respectable women) so as not to be annoyed. And Allaah is Ever Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful”

Ibn Taymiyah (may Allaah have mercy on him) said:

“Allaah commands women to let the jilbaab come down (over their faces) so that they will be known (as respectable women) and not be annoyed or disturbed. This evidence supports the first opinion. ‘Ubaydah al-Salmaani and others stated that the women used to wear the jilbaab coming down from the top of their heads in such a manner that nothing could be seen except their eyes, so that they could see where they were going. It was proven in al-Saheeh that the woman in ihraam is forbidden to wear the niqaab and gloves. This is what proves that the niqaab and gloves were known among women who were not in ihraam. This implies that they covered their faces and hands.”
(Majmoo’ al-Fataawa, 15/371-372)

2 – Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“And tell the believing women to lower their gaze (from looking at forbidden things), and protect their private parts (from illegal sexual acts) and not to show off their adornment except only that which is apparent (like both eyes for necessity to see the way, or outer palms of hands or one eye or dress like veil, gloves, headcover, apron), and to draw their veils all over Juyoobihinna (i.e. their bodies, faces, necks and bosoms)…”

Shaykh al-Islam Ibn Taymiyah said:

“With regard to the phrase ‘and not to show off their adornment except only that which is apparent’, ‘Abd-Allaah ibn Mas’ood said: the adornment which is apparent is the garment, because the word zeenah (adornment) was originally a name for the clothes and jewellery, as we see in the verses in which Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):
‘Take your adornment (by wearing your clean clothes)’
[al-A’raaf 7:31]

Say (O Muhammad): Who has forbidden the adornment with clothes given by Allaah, which He has produced for His slaves’
[al-A’raaf 7:32]

‘And let them not stamp their feet so as to reveal what they hide of their adornment’

Stamping the feet makes known the khulkhaal (anklets) and other kinds of jewellery and clothing. Allaah forbade women to show any kind of adornment except that which is apparent, but He allowed showing the hidden adornment to mahrams. It is known that the kind of adornment that usually appears, without any choice on the part of the women, is the clothing, as for the body, it is possible to either show it or to cover it. All of this indicates that what appears of the adornment is the clothing.​

Ahmad said: the adornment which is apparent is the clothing. And he said: every part of a woman is ‘awrah, even her nails. It was narrated in the hadeeth, ‘The woman is ‘awrah,’ This includes all of the woman. It is not makrooh to cover the hands during prayer, so they are part of the ‘awrah, just like the feet. Analogy implies that the face would be ‘awrah were it not for the fact that necessity dictates that it should be uncovered during prayer, unlike the hands.”
Sharh al-‘Umdah, 4/267-268.

3 – It was narrated that ‘Aa’ishah said: “The riders used to pass by us when we were with the Messenger of Allaah :saw:(peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) in ihraam. When they came near, each of us would lower her jilbaab from her head over her face, and when they passed by we would uncover (our faces).”
Narrated by Abu Dawood, 1833; Ahmad, 24067

Shaykh al-Albaani said in Jilbaab al-Mar’ah al-Muslimah (107): its isnaad is hasan because of the existence of corroborating reports.
It is well known that a woman should not put anything over her face when she is in ihraam, but ‘Aa’ishah and the Sahaabiyaat (women of the Sahaabah) who were with her used to lower part of their garments over their faces because the obligation to cover the face when non-mahrams pass by is stronger than the obligation to uncover the face when in ihraam.​

4 – It was narrated that ‘Aa’ishah (may Allaah be pleased with her) said: “May Allaah have mercy on the women of the Muhaajireen. When Allaah revealed the words (interpretation of the meaning)​
and to draw their veils all over Juyoobihinna (i.e. their bodies, faces, necks and bosoms)…”
[al-Noor 24:31],
they tore their aprons and covered their faces with them.”
(Narrated by al-Bukhaari, 4480)

5 – It was narrated from ‘Aa’ishah… that Safwaan ibn al-Mu’attal al-Sulami al-Dhakwaani was lagging behind the army. He came to where I had stopped and saw the black shape of a person sleeping. He recognized me when he saw me, because he had seen me before hijaab was enjoined. I woke up when I heard him saying ‘Inna Lillaahi wa inna ilayhi raaji’oon (verily to Allaah we belong and unto Him is our return),’ when he saw me, and I covered my face with my jilbaab.”
(Narrated by al-Bukhaari, 3910; Muslim, 2770)

6 – It was narrated from ‘Abd-Allaah that the Prophet :saw: (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “The woman is ‘awrah and when she goes out the Shaytaan gets his hopes up.”
(Narrated by al-Tirmidhi, 1173).
Al-Albaani said in Saheeh al-Tirmidhi (936): It is saheeh.
Please see Question no. 21134 for more information about the niqaab.​
And Allaah knows best.

Islam Q&A

ibnAbdullah87

I hope this article is of benefite

The Jilbaab and what Garments can Substitute It

AUTHOR: Imaam Muhammad Naasir-ud-Deen Al-Albaanee
SOURCE: Masaa'il Nisaa'iyyah Mukhtaarah (pg. 125-131)
PRODUCED BY: Al-Ibaanah.com

The following excerpt was taken from the book "Masaa'il Nisaa'iyyah Mukhtaarah min Fiqh al-'Alaamah Al-Albaanee" [Selected Women's Issues from the Fiqh of Imaam Al-Albaanee] compiled by Umm Ayoob Ghaawee. This book contains a collection of Al-Albaanee's opinions on various issues related to women transcribed from his books, recorded lessons and lectures.

Shaikh Al-Albaanee was asked the following question in a recorded talk: “We would like more details on the definition of a jilbaab, since you have stated that your view on the jilbaab is that it is a garment that covers the body from the head to the feet. However, we have come across a rather large difference of opinion in the language books concerning this. Amongst the linguists are those who say it is a large gown, while others say it is a khimaar. And others hold the same view you mentioned, Shaikh. So we would like a further elaboration, may Allaah reward you, as well as which one is the strongest opinion.”

The Shaikh responded to the questioner: “I’m sorry but I’m having difficulty understanding the part where you said that some people hold the jilbaab to be the khimaar. What is the khimaar that you are referring to when you say that they consider it to be the jilbaab? This is because it is well-known that the khimaar is a head-covering and not an ample garment that covers a woman’s entire body from her head to her feet. So who is it that claims that the jilbaab is a khimaar from what you know, according to what I mentioned? This is truly a very strange thing. Who said this?!”

The questioner said: “This is mentioned in the book Lisaan-ul-‘Arab, where it states that such a definition for it is held by some people.”

The Shaikh said: “It states that the jilbaab is a khimaar?”

The questioner said: “Yes.”

So the Shaikh replied: “It is not possible to say this because as you know there are two ayahs in the Qur’aan – one ayah that orders women to wear the jilbaab while the other orders them to put on the khimaar. It is not possible to say that both ayahs contain a repetition of the same meaning, thus the jilbaab would be the khimaar, while the khimaar would be the jilbaab. Rather, both of these terms – the jillbaab and the khimaar – have their own respective meanings that are distinct from one another.

You know, for example, that when a woman is at home and she gets up to pray her obligatory prayers, for the most part, she is normally at home with her hair uncovered. So she just places her khimaar over her head. The Prophet (sallAllaahu 'alayhi wa sallam) said: 'Allaah does not accept the prayer of a mature woman unless she has a khimaar.'

What is meant here is not the jilbaab at all, but rather what is meant is the head-covering. From the evidences that indicate this is that the Prophet (sallAllaahu 'alayhi wa sallam) ordered us to wipe over the turban or the khimaar or the socks.

My objective behind this hadeeth is to show that it indicates that the khimaar is a garment that both men and women – males and females – share in wearing.

It cannot be understood from this, for those who understand the Arabic language, that a man can place a jilbaab over himself! Rather, it means that he can place a khimaar (head-covering) over himself.

So it is permissible for a person that places a khimaar over his head to wipe over it (when performing ablution), regardless of whether it is a man or a woman. My objective behind this discussion is to firstly confirm the quote according to the Arabic language, and secondly if it is finally confirmed that the quote is indeed found in Lisaan-ul-‘Arab and that it states that the meaning of a jilbaab is held to be a khimaar, then it is sufficient proof, from what you quoted, that such a statement is weak because of the fact that the author said: ‘It is held to mean such and such.’ (i.e. uncertainty)

Furthermore, if we study the texts from the Book and the Sunnah, of which we already mentioned some of them, we would derive with certainty that the khimaar is not a jilbaab and nor is the jilbaab a khimaar.

In brief, a khimaar covers less that a jilbaab while a jilbaab has a more ample range in terms of the parts that it covers. Also, a jilbaab is specific for only women. They were the ones who were ordered to wear it and not men. But as for the khimaar, then that is a garment that both men and women share in wearing. Even though a man is not obligated to wear it, regardless, it is a garment that both men and women partake in wearing, just like a shirt. In the same manner that a man wears a shirt to cover his ‘awrah – which is different from the ‘awrah of a woman – so does a woman. But her ‘awrah is ampler than the ‘awrah of a man.

This is why we said in the book ‘The Muslim Woman’s Hijaab’ that when a Muslim woman leaves from her home, she is obligated to do two things:

(1) To place a khimaar over her head, and (2) then to apply a jilbaab over that, thus going out dressed with the khimaar and the jilbaab. So when a woman goes out of her home, one garment does not suffice without the other – a woman must combine between both the khimaar and the jilbaab. You are aware of the Qur’anic verse related to the khimaar in which Allaah says: ‘And (tell them) to draw their khumur (veils) over their bosoms.’ [Surah An-Noor: 31]

Drawing a garment close to the bosom cannot be achieved with a jilbaab. This can only be achieved with a khimaar, since it is possible to wrap it. But as for the jilbaab, you know that it cannot be wrapped around the chest or on the neck. You can see here how the men wrap their khimaars and how they affix them to their necks. So due to this, what has been particularized here is the khimaar and not the jilaab. When a woman goes out from her house, she is obligated to place a khimaar over her head and to wrap it over her neck and her chest. This is since a jilbaab does not correspond in her attempt to achieve this comprehensive covering since it is ample and long whereas the khimaar is ample and short. So each of these garments has its own specific effect in fulfilling what a woman is obligated to cover. This is my response to what you have asked. If there is anything left that I have not covered in my discussion, then remind me of it.”

The questioner asked: “So then I understand from this that the jilbaab is not the wide gown that women wear today, here (in this country) for example, from the neck to the feet?”

The Shaikh responded: “No, not at all. This is not a jilbaab. However, this leads us to elaborate further on discussing what is related to the jilbaab. As we stated before, according to the language, a jilbaab is not a garment like that which is known as the balto. So what needs to be clarified now is:

The command directed towards women, particularly with regard to wearing the jilbaab, is not an obligatory act of worship which has a meaning that we can’t comprehend. Rather, on the contrary, it does have a meaning we can understand. And the meaning that is derived from it, which we indicated previously, is to achieve the covering that a woman must abide by.

So if, for example, a woman wears two garments or she makes the jilbaab into two pieces – one upper piece and one lower piece – and both of these pieces fulfill the objective of the jilbaab, which has been mentioned in the Qur’aan, at this point, even though we don’t refer to these two pieces as a jilbaab from a linguistic standpoint, we hold that it still fulfills the desired objective of the command to wear the jilbaab from a religious perspective.

There used to be found in Syria up to recently, and there still continues to be found in some practicing women that stick to the Religion, a garment called Malaa’at-uz-Zamm. Have you heard anything about this during your lifetime?”

The questioner replied: “We have something called a Malaa’ah (cloak).”

The Shaikh said: “No, I said Malaa’at-uz-Zamm.”

The questioner replied: “No, not with this term. We say Malaa’ah.”

The Shaikh said: “This is an Arabic term. The point is that this garment which we have with us in Syria consists of two pieces. The first piece is a skirt known as a tannoorah – are you familiar with this word?”

The questioner said: Yes.”

The Shaikh said: “A tannoorah is a skirt that is affixed to the waist with an elastic strap. So naturally it is wide and ample.

A woman wears this from here, thus covering the entire lower part of her body. Then over this tannoorah, which is called a kharraatah (skirt) in Syria, is placed the upper part of the garment, which is placed over the head and which a woman uses to cover her head, shoulders, sides, hips and even the belt strap that is tightened around the waist by this tannoorah or this kharraatah. No part of this skirt’s waist-strap is visible since it goes under it. Is the image clear?”

The questioner replied: “Yes.”

The Shaikh continued: “Amongst us here, they call this garment Malaayat-uz-Zamm (or Malaa’at-uz-Zamm), since the skirt is strapped at the waist with a plastic waistband. So if you have grasped a perception of this dress with us, then the point that I am trying to make is that even though this cloak-like garment is not a jilbaab (linguistically), it still fulfills the obligation of a jilbaab, which consists of covering the body completely. Is this clear to you?”

The questioner said: “Yes.”

The Shaikh said: “If the matter is clear, then we see that we are not obligated to adhere to the literal wording of the jilbaab, but rather to its end-result, objective and goal. Now I will go back to this ‘balto’ which I talked about previously, which the Muslim women wear today and which is of various types. It may be produced in long sizes for some of the practicing women reaching up to their feet. However, this is not a jilbaab. In spite of this, it is still not like the Malaa’at-uz-Zamm since it does not cover the head and what it consist of, for example. But what does the woman do today? She wraps a garment known as the esharp around her head – is this term known to you?”

The questioner answered: “Yes.”

The Shaikh said: “A small khimaar (i.e. the esharp) that is fastened to the head but which exposes parts of the forehead and temple and which also exposes parts of the neck since it is small in size, naturally does not fulfill the objective of a jilbaab according to its proper definition. The objective of a jilbaab is as we have discussed concerning the Malaayat-uz-Zamm. Is this clear? So let’s take the example of this woman who is wearing this balto – what would you call this?”

The questioner[1] said: “We call it a Hijaab.”

The Shaikh said: “No, this is wrong. The point is that if a woman wears this type of ‘Hijaab’ then places a khimaar over her head, then there must be a Hijaab, i.e. jilbaab placed over this khimaar. We have stated that there are two verses in the Qur’aan. This jilbaab may be divided into parts as we stated before when we discussed the Malaayat-uz-Zamm.

So therefore, if a woman wears that garment which you call a Hijaab and then places a valid khimaar over her head and not that which is known as the ‘esharp’, then places over this khimaar a partial garment that covers half of her body, such as one that covers her shoulders and hands, at this point, this becomes valid and acceptable according to the Religion.” [2]

Footnotes:

[1] The questioner was from Algeria.

[2] Silsilat-ul-Hudaa wan-Noor (tape no. 232)

Published: June 6, 2006

Umm Aysha

*Strive for Jannah*
Wa alaykum salaam

Please share with me the information ..

May Allah SWT bless us

I dont think the punjabi dress is really an appropriate dress to wear in front of non-mahram men.
There are many reasons for this eg:- some are really colourful, some are sleeveless, or they are sewn to size which show the figure...

So its not really a covering. Thats why its best to wear a jilbab or outer veil on top so it covers the woman completely...

" (Surah Noor, Verse 31) "O Nabi Sall-Allahu alayhi wa sallam! Say to thy spouses and to thy daughters and to the women of the believers to draw part of their cloaks close onto them. In this way they will soon be recognized, hence not be molested. And Allah is Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful." (Surah Ahzaab, Verse 59)

wasalaam

AishaR

:salam2:

I think what you are referring to brother is a salwar kameez, which is also called punjabi suit. I wear these myself as do most muslims I know. Has long as they meet the requirements that women need to, then they are fine.
Women can wear most forms of clothing as long as it doesnt make us look like men or is figure hugging. An outer garment is always recommended though.

Hope that helps brother.

:wasalam:

nurislam

“O Prophet! Tell your wives and your daughters and the women of the believers to draw their cloaks (veils) all over their bodies (i.e. screen themselves completely except the eyes or one eye to see the way). That will be better, that they should be known (as free respectable women) so as not to be annoyed. And Allaah is Ever Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful”

(i.e. screen themselves completely except the eyes or one eye to see the way). This is only an intrpretation of the word from some one who is no doubt knowledgable but if you read the surrah by itself,it never really specify the face. I have read other interpretation of the surrah that you mentioned but non has "i.e. screen themselves completely except the eyes or one eye to see the way". We cannot think that a muslimah who are not covering their face as someone who has committed a sin as what was suggested.I believe this should not be.
wasallam

joepierre

Re the analogies

The anoligies are biased.You see, not all men who are allowed to have female friends respects them. MANY men degrade women in the western society because they've already seen it all, they have been through woman after woman after woman. DO YOU CALL THAT RESPECT??
A take them and leave them theory?
It's a roller coaster life, your happy today, tomorrow u find ur gf has gone off with another guy. Are you still happy? Do you give respect to a woman, mixing with the opposite gender in all points then being dissapointed when the your 'loved one' leaves ya?
A society where the pretty have an advantage but the ugly lose.

Just like the first example, is this guy a good MUSLIM ask urself that... ISLAM creates JUSTICE BETWEEN GENDERS. What right then does a Muslim man have to look down on anyone, especially women?? none. This man if trully he feels the way this person discribes then he is not really a good Muslim and doesn't fall on the same category.

This is not a valid argument. Your answers are more biased than the analogies. You assume the worst of the non muslim and best of the muslim. The analogy stated that the man had female friends. A self respecting female does not make friends with a man who goes through woman after woman, so we should assume that the non muslim does respect women and is not like the man you have described. Yes there are many like this.

Similarly the muslim man you paint as a saint - a perfect muslim, not an average one. Is this a valid comparison? no!

Lastly you say the man would get married if he were frustrated. What a sad and tragic marriage to enter in to - one where the man is in it simply because he is sexually frustrated. I pity his wife deeply. What about true sacrificial love for each other and not just lust? no wonder the divorce rate amoungst muslims in England is higher than the rest of the population (approx 70% for muslims vs approx 40% for the rest of the country - 2002)

joepierre

All the Koranic verses quoted have the reason for covering something along the lines of "so they (women) won't be annoyed or harrassed". So this applies directly to the prophet's society and times.
What about women who live in a society where they won't be annoyed or harrassed if they don't wear a hijab?