Radical Shariah?

apocalypse77

Im just wondering..was there ever such thing as radical shariah in any muslim countries?I mean shariah that is taken to the extreme for things like adultery/apostasy and punihments like cutting hands, behadings and stoning that isnt even islamic? (correct me if im wrong)

i mean nowadays pple have their own intepretations of islam so i was wondering if this radical shariah reallt exist

hmmmmmm

alkathiri

As-Shafaa'i(Brother)
Im just wondering..was there ever such thing as radical shariah in any muslim countries?I mean shariah that is taken to the extreme for things like adultery/apostasy and punihments like cutting hands, behadings and stoning that isnt even islamic? (correct me if im wrong)

i mean nowadays pple have their own intepretations of islam so i was wondering if this radical shariah reallt exist

hmmmmmm

stoning

Adultery of a minor

revert_north

NEW MUSLIMA

hmmmmmm

:salam2:

Well, as we know, Shariah Law itself isn't radical, but I do think there are some places/instances in which it has been implemented by 'radicals', and in a 'radical' fashion. For example, the case of Amina Lawal in Nigeria. Yes, this woman comitted a grave sin, and admitted to it, but was such punishment really necessary? Especially since the father's identity was well known, but he went unpunished, due to lack of evidence (i.e. the four witnesses needed...tell me, how many adultery cases actually have four witnesses?!?! Sexual intercourse - even zina - is almost always done behind closed doors!!).

Plus there are also terrible cases in which girls have been raped, yet have been accused of comitting zina, and have been beaten, lashed, or even killed for such a 'crime', sometimes at the order of a judge, sometimes even at the hands of their own families. This is obviously unislamic, it's like punishment simply for being a woman! If truly implemented, Shariah Law wouldn't prescribe such punishments.

And there's the whole scandal of Afghani women's plight under the Taliban, most of the restrictions of which are entirely unislamic (such as forcing women to wear burkha, banning girls from being educated, marrying girls into sexual relationships before puberty, etc.).

As for punishments that are Islamic, I'm not sure how they could be considered radical, but I guess in some cases the option of forgiveness is completely bypassed, especially if the crime/sin was only 'minor'.

:wasalam:

Globalpeace

Banned
W-Salam Sister,

With the utmost respect I would like to comment on your post; if I may…

I am going to use Pakistan & Afghanistan as the centre of my arguments and you can see the sources in my translation of Mufti Taqi Usmani’s article on TTI here http://www.turntoislam.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4831&highlight=pakistan):

1) You are absolutely correct that 4 witnesses are hardly available in such cases but Islamic Shariah allows for Circumstantial evidence to be (i.e. DNA, Medical/Chemical test etc.); so the perpetrators often get away NOT because of Islam but because of corruption

2) There is a lot of propaganda about this issue and independent studies have debunked a lot of it such the one done by Charles Kennedy! Women do get benefit of the doubt & not always get punished or thrown in prison; although I must admit that abuses do occur

3) Your points about Afghanistan under Taliban are almost totally false and baseless:

a. The Chancellor of Kabul Medicals school under Taliban was a woman; who was sacked by the Americans
b. The Dean of Chemistry & English at Kabul university under Taliban were also women
c. It was a common sight to see women walking around, getting into Taxies, going around Town (alone) under Taliban; YES the Afghani woman were REQUIRED to wear Burka but that was IT!
d. Pathan women regularly wear Burka, Taliban or No Taliban.
e. Foreign men and women were exempt from such regulations of Taliban and the biggest example is the Ambassador of Pakistan to Afghanistan Ahmed Saeed who was himself a Pashtun (clean shaved) and his wife (also a Pashtun) without even her head covered!
f. Child marriages (and abuse) are a regular feature in Afghan/Pashtun society BUT under Taliban; this was controlled effectively and FORCED/STAMPED out in many Taliban areas
g. Depriving women of their inheritance is also a regular feature in Afghan/Pashtun society BUT under Taliban; this was controlled effectively and FORCED/STAMPED out in many Taliban areas
h. Homosexuality/Sodomy are a regular feature in Afghan/Pashtun society BUT under Taliban; this was controlled effectively and FORCED/STAMPED out in many Taliban areas
i. I disagree with Taliban on many issues but they neither suppressed women nor inhibited girls education

All points stated in 3 are based on eye-witness accounts of the staunchest Anti-Islamic critics e.g. Dr Javed Iqbal who hates even the mention of Shariah.

I have purposely omitted Islamic sources in Pakistan who have published pictorial and TV evidence to send this myth to the moon!

:salam2:

Well, as we know, Shariah Law itself isn't radical, but I do think there are some places/instances in which it has been implemented by 'radicals', and in a 'radical' fashion. For example, the case of Amina Lawal in Nigeria. Yes, this woman comitted a grave sin, and admitted to it, but was such punishment really necessary? Especially since the father's identity was well known, but he went unpunished, due to lack of evidence (i.e. the four witnesses needed...tell me, how many adultery cases actually have four witnesses?!?! Sexual intercourse - even zina - is almost always done behind closed doors!!).

Plus there are also terrible cases in which girls have been raped, yet have been accused of comitting zina, and have been beaten, lashed, or even killed for such a 'crime', sometimes at the order of a judge, sometimes even at the hands of their own families. This is obviously unislamic, it's like punishment simply for being a woman! If truly implemented, Shariah Law wouldn't prescribe such punishments.

And there's the whole scandal of Afghani women's plight under the Taliban, most of the restrictions of which are entirely unislamic (such as forcing women to wear burkha, banning girls from being educated, marrying girls into sexual relationships before puberty, etc.).

As for punishments that are Islamic, I'm not sure how they could be considered radical, but I guess in some cases the option of forgiveness is completely bypassed, especially if the crime/sin was only 'minor'.

:wasalam:

kayleigh

In some countries there are some cases of radical implementation of Sharia law. Although, I think it would be more accurate to call it misguided or misinterpreted. Sometimes I think its called "Sharia law" just because the country goes by it, but some of their punishments really aren't found in the Sunnah or Qur'an and are inaccurate.

I'll be honest - I don't know much about the implementation of Sharia law around the world, but I've read and heard several political experts (who are relatively unbiased) state that Iran has a strange and radical interpretation of Sharia law. The one case that comes to mind is the case of the girl who was sentenced to death for murder, which she committed while trying to protect herself and another girl from being raped. I don't remember her name, but it was a very famous case and things like that just make people in the West that much more wary of Sharia law - because when they think of it, bad things like that are what come up first.

Sharia law is like a lot of things - it's meant to be good and when practiced correctly it is good. But the world is terribly corrupt and so it isn't always practiced correctly.