Reciting Yaseen for the dead

Discussion in 'TurnToIslam Lounge !' started by Kakorot, Jun 2, 2012.

1. Kakorot

Kakorot Junior Member

Ratings Received:
    +10 / 0
    Assalamu 'alaykum

When someone passes away people say, (in particular the family of the deceased) request people to recite surah Yaseen on the deceased behalf. So I just want to know whether this is an innovation because I haven't come across any hadith etc. stating one can do this. So is there any evidence?

:jazaak:
    • Like Like x 1
  2. finding light
    In-Love

finding light Ya Rab! Forgive me..

Ratings Received:
    +21 / 0
    Asalamualykum,

I have this on file - three answers from IslamQA, just read through to the relevant part - hope it helps....

3. Kakorot

Kakorot Junior Member

Ratings Received:
    +10 / 0
    :wasalam:

Jazakillahu khayran for the fatwas but I’m kind of confused because within one fatwa it says:

And then within another it says:

Unless I read it wrong; but anyhow the first one sounds more correct to me. :jazaak: sis.
  4. finding light
    In-Love

Ratings Received:
    +21 / 0
    Asalamualykum Sis,

Yes, I remember now - it was confusing for me too... what I understood that it is okay to pray for the deceased - actually we should.

So the best thing to do is just make lots and lost and lots of dua for the person and give charity on his/her behalf. There is nothing better that we can do than what Allah has told us to do... This will benefit the deceased much more.
  5. finding light
    In-Love

Ratings Received:
    +21 / 0
    Salaam Sister,

Found another, sorry the point is only made right at the end.... again from IslamQA:

• Like Like x 1
  6. Idris16

Idris16 Junior Member

Ratings Received:
    +21 / 0
    Ruling on reading Soorat Yaa-Seen for the dying and the deceased

Asslamua Alylum,
    In my culture people read sura Yaseen in groups before and after people die. I would like to know if whether this is based on suna or an innovation?

Praise be to Allaah.

We have to make a distinction here between the two issues: reading Yaa-Seen for one who is dying, and reading it for one who has died. With regard to reading Yaa-Seen for one who is dying, this practice has been reported from some of the Sahaabah. Imaam Ahmad reported in his Musnad from Safwaan: “My shaykhs told me that they were with Ghudayf ibn al-Haarith al-Thumaani when he was dying. He said: ‘Can any of you read Yaa-Seen?’ So Saalih ibn Shurayh al-Sakooni recited it, and when he reached the fortieth aayah, Ghudayf passed away. My shaykhs used to say that when it is recited in the presence of one who is dying, it eases the pain of death.” That was the opinion of Safwaan. ‘Eesaa ibn al-Mu’tamir read it for Ibn Mab’ad (when the latter was dying). (al-Musnad, 16355)

Al-Albaani said in Irwaa’ al-Ghaleel, 3/152: “This is a saheeh sanad going back to Ghudayf ibn al-Haarith, may Allaah be pleased with him. Its men are thiqaat apart from ‘the shaykhs’ who are not named and are therefore unknown (majhool). But the fact that they are unknown is compensated for by their large number, especially since they are of the generation of the Taabi’een…”

Shaykh Ibn ‘Uthaymeen said in al-Sharh al-Mumti’ fi Ahkaam al-Janaa’iz: “Soorat Yaa-Seen may be recited over him (i.e., the one who is dying) for the one who thinks that the hadeeth is correct.” He explained that this is because this soorah contains good news of Paradise, as in the aayah (interpretation of the meaning): “It was said: ‘Enter Paradise.’…” [Yaa-Seen 36:26], and because it makes the passage of the soul easier, and other reasons.

As regards reading Soorat Yaa-Seen for one who has died, there is no saheeh hadeeth to indicate that this should be done. A hadeeth was narrated by Abu Dawood and others which says “Read Yaa-Seen over your dead”, but this hadeeth is not saheeh because its isnaad contains contradictions and narrators who are unknown (majhool). This was stated by al-‘Allaamah al-Albaani in Irwaa’ al-Ghaleel, hadeeth no. 688.

Reading Qur’aan over the dead is considered to be bid’ah (innovation), as he states at the end of his book Ahkaam al-Janaa’iz. Some people think that it should be read forty times over the deceased, and some of them may distribute copies of the Qur’aan among the mourners who gather to offer condolences so that they may read, or organize gatherings in the mosque to read it for the soul of the deceased. All of this has no basis whatsoever (in the sunnah), and these are innovated deeds of bid’ah which we should avoid and warn others against.

And Allaah is the Source of strength.

Islam Q&A
    Sheikh Muhammed Salih Al-Munajjid

http://islamqa.com/en/ref/734/yaseen
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Asja
    sisterly

Asja Pearl of Islaam

University student
    Ratings Received:
    +84 / 5
    Assalamu allaicum wa rahmatullah wa barakatuhu

I also do not understnad this part explained in Fatwaa, as it has been said that the dead can benefit from the physical acts done on behalf of him like for example making duas for that persone or reeding(reciting) Quraan.

The correct view is that the dead can benefit from the physical acts of worship undertaken by their living relatives with the intention of giving the reward to them (physical acts of worship include fasting and reading Qur’aan).

For example, is it allowed to read any Surah of Quraan for our relatives who have passed away, without considering any Surah specificlly mentioned in Sunnah of our Prophet salahu alaihi wa saalam. If it is allowed to read Quraan for that persone, than that means we can also recitate Surah Yasin for that persone. This is how I have understood it,and Allah knows the best.

For example, it is allowed that we raise our hands after Salah, but if we would consider it as been obligatory part of Salah, than that would been consider as Bidah. And Allah knows the best.
  8. finding light
    In-Love

Ratings Received:
    +21 / 0
    Walaykumsalam,

Actually it is very confusing now - there are two different view points coming from Islam QA...

With regards to physical acts of worship, the fatwa says:

So i suppose if there is doubt, just stay away from it... and what I said in post #4 is reiterated here:

But giving charity on behalf of the deceased is better than reading Qur’aan for them, just as making du’aa’ for them and seeking forgiveness for them is better than other deeds.

So stick to those that are prescribed and ordained by Allah because that is the best, yeah?
  9. Kakorot

Kakorot Junior Member

Ratings Received:
    +10 / 0

Jazakumullahu khayr sister and brother, I understand now - it's an innovation full stop.
  10. xAllahKnowsBestx

xAllahKnowsBestx Junior Member

I go to high school. How exciting. Not.=/
    Ratings Received:
    +53 / 0
    :salam2:

JazakAllaahu khayr for starting the thread, Sister Kakorot. I was confused about this as well. :D
  11. Asif1

Asif1 Banned

my job
    Ratings Received:
    +2 / 0
    Assalam Alaykum to all :)

Nice Thread, and yes we should not recite the Surah on deads, its a Bidaah sister, what else can I say everything is nicely explained above.

Wassalam
  12. friend263
    Depressed

friend263 Junior Member

Ratings Received:
    +49 / 1
    Assalamualikum warehmatullahi wa barakatahu

I am sorry but i didnot understood the last five lines of the para in which it is stated that one should not raise hands after the fard namaz..... I am sorry i cant copy paste theline but i wanted to know what excatly does that means??? I have heard that allah hears to the supplications or dua made after fard salah so sholud we make that dua without raising our hand???? Confused............
  13. friend263
    Depressed

friend263 Junior Member

Ratings Received:
    +49 / 1
    Assalamualikum warehmatullahi wa barakatahu

No replies??????????????
  14. Asja
    sisterly

Asja Pearl of Islaam

University student
    Ratings Received:
    +84 / 5
    Assalamu allaicum wa rahmatullah wa barakatuhu

Of course it is allowed that we raise our hands after Salah dear sister or in any time when we are making duas, because it is well known that it was practise of our Prophet Mohammed sallahu alahya wa saalam, therefor it is from Islaam Alhmadulillah.

But from my understanding, it is meant that if we would consider raising our hands as obligatory part of Salah, than this would be consider as Bidah.The same like if we wish to make Duas, it is upon every individual, to recitate only Dua, or raise hands as well. That is how I have understood it.

InshAllah some more knowledgable brother or sister can explain better.

And Allah knows the best.

15. finding light
    In-Love

Ratings Received:
    +21 / 0

Asalamualykum,

The fatwa clearly states:
    So lets look further into this....
  16. finding light
    In-Love

Ratings Received:
    +21 / 0
    Super confused now!

17. Hajjerr
    Spaced

Hajjerr He is Dhul-Jalali Wal-Ikram

Doing my best.
    Ratings Received:
    +264 / 3
    Salam aleikum

So from what i read above, we can make dua after obligatory prayers, wich i knew alhamdullilah and may Allah help us to accomplish.....but without raising hands, because we dont have proffs that Prophet, peace be upon him, did that.......and not in unison, this is bidah.
    We have our individual suplications to make and Allah hears us all...inchallah.

Seems clear, alhamdullilah.

:salam2:
  18. Asja
    sisterly

Asja Pearl of Islaam

University student
    Ratings Received:
    +84 / 5
    Assalamu allaicum wa raahmatullah wa barakatuhu

Well, it seems that it is not clearly explained dear sister, as I have also not understood it. We have been thought always to raise our hands when making Duas, after Salah, or in any other occassion when we are making Dua. And Allah knows the best.

I have found Fatwaa posted by brother "Ditta" and response from brother "weakslave" where it is more clearly explained InshAllah.

Allah knows the best.

19. friend263
    Depressed

friend263 Junior Member

Ratings Received:
    +49 / 1
    Allah reham i am confused a lot now can any body tell what to do?????
  20. Asja
    sisterly

Asja Pearl of Islaam

University student
    Ratings Received:
    +84 / 5
    Assalamu alaicum wa rahmatullah wa barakatuhu dear sister

I have shared posts and answers from brother "Ditta" and response from brother "weakslave". Everything is well and clearly explained sister, you only need to read it carefully InshAllah.

And Allah knows the best.