Right to wear hijab at work?

lozzin

Salem Alikoum Brothers and Sisters

I have come to the point where I am ready to wear hijab full time. I have been in my current job, as a receptionist in a car showroom, for around 12 weeks now. I mentioned it to the boss and he was unsure of what to say so referred it to head office for a decision. I have emailed some photos of myself to them to give an idea of what this would look like and next week I am having a visit from someone from our personnel department.

I am not sure what thier decision would be but I would like to be prepared for if they say I cannot wear one. I know its within my rights to wear a headscarf but as I havent been at work for too long and I love the job I want to tread carefully and for now I dont want to start laying down the law.

I understand thier concerns as I live in a place where Muslims, male or female, are a rare breed! I think theyre expecting me to go in a niqab or something!

Do you know of any websites or have any links please, where I can print off my rights to wear hijab, and do my homework so I can prove to them that they cannot deny me wearing the hijab, if they choose that decision.

I may be jumping the gun a little and they may be ok but I want to have some knowledge of my rights. I live in the UK

Jazakhallah for your help.

Salem
Lorraine

yasak80

Salamun aleykum Lorraine,

May ALLAH (SWT) make easy it for you and solve all the problems came up about this subject.
Meanwhile in London I dont know the rules about it...
I live in Turkey. We are %99 muslims but wearing hijab is forbidden in lots of place.

But I will pray for you. I will pray for yr freedom in my duas.

arzafar

:salam2:

May Allah reward you for you sincere intentions and actions. Im sure somebody here will help you with the uk law. Inshallah ill pray for you

alf2

Islam is a way of life
I know that legal action has not been taken in the UK against the Hijab. So it is legal, you do have the right to live your daily life in it.

I also know that discrimination in many ways including religion, is against the law!

Clothing

If you wear clothing or jewellery for religious reasons, your employer should make sure any dress code does not discriminate against you. A flexible dress code is usually possible, as long as health and safety requirements are not at risk.

Source: http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Employment/ResolvingWorkplaceDisputes/DiscriminationAtWork/DG_10026449

For further reading on Rights in the UK, please see:
http://www.yourrights.org.uk/

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Insha'Allah this will be beneficial, good luck Ukti :hearts:

lozzin

Jazakhallah for your help :SMILY149:

Inshalah i will find something in these links to take along with me.

Ill keep you updated.

May Allah reward you

a_stranger

Dear sister I am sure that Allah sobhanahu wa taala will help in your good efforts , make a lot of Duaa:tti_sister: before you step out of your house with higab and if you can pray two rikaas :salah:with sincere heart. May Allah make things easy for you, and make you a good example for others.

Fay10

I have come to the point where I am ready to wear hijab full time. I have been in my current job, as a receptionist in a car showroom, for around 12 weeks now. I mentioned it to the boss and he was unsure of what to say so referred it to head office for a decision. I have emailed some photos of myself to them to give an idea of what this would look like and next week I am having a visit from someone from our personnel department.

Salem
Lorraine

Asalam

I am really stunned at the fact that you have to send photos to the head office to show them what you look like and that somebody from the personnel department is coming to see you before they allow you to wear the hijab, in my country there is no such issue, if you get a job,any job you are allowed to wear the hijab and nobody has or can have an issue with it, even if you enrol at a school, u can ask to wear the hijab, if they have an issue you can show them the constitution of our country which states that there is no religious discrimination of any sort and based on that they should allow you to wear it and if they still do not want to budge you can take the matter to the constitutional court. Inshallah it will stay that way in my country.

May Allah make it easy for you. I dont know what UK laws are like or whether you have a constitution or something, but if you do have something like that and it states something to the effect that there is no discrimnation in religion then you can make use of that.

queenislam

★★★I LOVE ALLAH★★★
Muslim's police woman in England are allowed to cover!

I am not sure what thier decision would be but I would like to be prepared for if they say I cannot wear one. I know its within my rights to wear a headscarf but as I havent been at work for too long and I love the job I want to tread carefully and for now I dont want to start laying down the law.

I understand thier concerns as I live in a place where Muslims, male or female, are a rare breed! I think theyre expecting me to go in a niqab or something!

Do you know of any websites or have any links please, where I can print off my rights to wear hijab, and do my homework so I can prove to them that they cannot deny me wearing the hijab, if they choose that decision.

I may be jumping the gun a little and they may be ok but I want to have some knowledge of my rights. I live in the UK

Salem
Lorraine

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
:bismillah:

:ma:
I understand muslim's police woman in England are allowed to cover their head with headscarf.
I read this news over the internet like last year but the approval on this has been practice some 3 years ago(written on the article).
Believe it!
Check it out!
like if you miss on this News maybe you can called upon some authority at your place to confirm on this like to support you on your application for putting on jilbab at your working place.
Insya allah!

If The People of Law can
so can you sister.

:tti_sister:~May Allah swt help you~Amin!

Thank you,
Take Care!

~Wassalam:)

revert2007

Love Fishing
Assalamulikum.
Well now is a tread fro many Christian women to wear scarfs and cover their head.I once saw a Christian woman promoting wearing hijab on YT and she is not a Muslim.She was doing vidoes on how to wear hijab.When you reda the Bible,it requires the women to wear veil and Jewsih women cover their head as well.

So now what is the issue about Muslim women wearing Hijab?
Actually they are not having any issue with the hijab but with the religion itself.

Just the same way Muslim man with beard will be called terrorist yet any Hindu man,or Jewish man or Cjristian man with beard is fine.

They are simply practising double standard.

My advice,if they don't allow you to wear hijab,give up the job.In sha Allah He has a good plan for you :)

Allah knows the best.
Assalamulikum.

lozzin

Jazakhallah for all your support!

I have found this part on religious descrimination in the DirectGov website which was suggested to me (its a government website to help with your rights at work etc) and im sure this will help me......

'Clothing.
If you wear clothing or jewellery for religious reasons, your employer should make sure any dress code does not discriminate against you. A flexible dress code is usually possible, as long as health and safety requirements are not at risk'

Im sure there is no health and safety issues with the telephone, pen and paper I use lol, so I should be ok Inshalah :SMILY288:

Salem Alikoum

alf2

Islam is a way of life
Jazakhallah for all your support!

I have found this part on religious descrimination in the DirectGov website which was suggested to me (its a government website to help with your rights at work etc) and im sure this will help me......

'Clothing.
If you wear clothing or jewellery for religious reasons, your employer should make sure any dress code does not discriminate against you. A flexible dress code is usually possible, as long as health and safety requirements are not at risk'

Im sure there is no health and safety issues with the telephone, pen and paper I use lol, so I should be ok Inshalah :SMILY288:

Salem Alikoum

Awesome sister!!

Be polite, have a smile on your face, and be confident in your decision when you speak with them :SMILY149: Subhan'Allah, I'm so happy for you! :hearts:

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam walaikum,

This is just some simple advise. When you first start wearing hijab..make sure there is some lace on it. Lace is very feminine. Make sure the colors are pastel. Soft colors and lace are neutral; non-threatening. You will be seen as cute and not political. You do not need to be political on the job.

IHearIslam

make dua 4 ma finals
Assalaamu alaikum dear sister,

mashaAllaah, tabarakaAllaah! I am very happy for you. alhamdulillaah indeed its a blessing to be able to wear and come to the decision by your own free will! alhamdulillaah!
I cannot help you much, but I thought I would say "may Allaah make everything easy for you" ameen

hayat84

I'm not what you believe
salam 'alikum sister,there is no law which forbides you not to wear hijab at the work place,so in theory you should wear it without justifying anything to anyone.as an Italian reverted,I may make the war to those who forbid me my hijab,because I obey to Allah's Will,and if they don't let me have what I wish,I firstly show them the law,secondly I denounce them for having humiliated me by obligating me to uncover my hair,and in the end,I surely obtein what it's mine.
So sister,if you're strong you will go to work with your hijab because it's your right to be free to wear it,sister don't worry if you'll lose the work,indeed you'll never lose your identity and dignity of muslim woman!!!
Be strong and don't give up:wasalam::ma:

lozlg

Muslima for 1 year!

Salem
Lorraine

Wa Salam Lorraine. Alhamdulilah that you have taken the step to put hijab on at work. I can't believe either that personnel are coming to see you. I will have a look and see if i can find a list if rights to wear hijab. I have been muslim for 1 year now and still don't wear it at work. I work in a harram environment so i wouldnt wear it in my job anyway as i don't want non muslims to think its ok for muslims to work in such a place. I want to leave but ive been having interviews for a year now and i just know it's coz of my hijab. I have debated with myself whether to just take it off for interviews but my friends say "who do you fear more Allah or not getting this job" so i end up wearing it but they don't understand how hard it is for me to get a job around here so looks like im stuck in my harram job for the time being.

hayat84

I'm not what you believe
@sister LozLg,what do you lose wearing your hijab?are you ashamed?in the Day of Judgement there will be no bigger shame than seeing all women hanged up by their hair,because they didn't cover them for Allah's Will.I personally fear what Allah ordered me,than what a man can say to me to be submitted to his will,just because I need money to live.As I see,it's easier to obey to a man's imposition,than to face him and say<this is me,I'll work with hijab>?
my sweetheart doesn't send me to work,because he hates that someone else could command me,but in the same time he always leave an opened door to letting me spend a little time working with muslim women.
try to think if every muslim woman accept not to wear hijab at the work place: working in haram places,is the best way to accept what is haram,while working in haram places with hijab is a protection against haram actions,like bad compliments and invitations to work-dinners and so on.:astag:

mabera

Alhamdulillah alaa ni'matil-islam

Thanks to Allah for giving you the eman to take such decision, and may He reward you for it and make it possible.
And I clsoe with this verse;

33:59 O Prophet! Tell thy wives and daughters, and the believing women, that they should cast their outer garments over their persons (when abroad): that is most convenient, that they should be known (as such) and not molested. And Allah is Oft- Forgiving, Most Merciful.

lozlg

Muslima for 1 year!
@sister LozLg,what do you lose wearing your hijab?are you ashamed?in the Day of Judgement there will be no bigger shame than seeing all women hanged up by their hair,because they didn't cover them for Allah's Will.I personally fear what Allah ordered me,than what a man can say to me to be submitted to his will,just because I need money to live.As I see,it's easier to obey to a man's imposition,than to face him and say<this is me,I'll work with hijab>?
my sweetheart doesn't send me to work,because he hates that someone else could command me,but in the same time he always leave an opened door to letting me spend a little time working with muslim women.
try to think if every muslim woman accept not to wear hijab at the work place: working in haram places,is the best way to accept what is haram,while working in haram places with hijab is a protection against haram actions,like bad compliments and invitations to work-dinners and so on.:astag:

wasalam sister, no i am definatly not ashamed to wear hijab. I wear it everyday except for work purely because i don't want people to think it's ok for a muslim to work in a haram place. I live in a town where unfortunatly my muslim community gossip. Muslim men and women come into where i work (even though they shouldnt) and if they realise iam muslim they will gossip about me and and it will cause problems for my husbands family. You have to appreciate that things are not so simple in different areas and circumstances. If i wore hijab at my work i would definatly get so many bad comments and strange looks. There is only one thing for me to do and that is leave my job which is easier said then done when you're a women struggling to pay bills and your husband is out of work.

hayat84

I'm not what you believe
sister,If I was you I would work with hijab,no work is haram if you earn money honestly!how can you uncover your hair in front of unknown people?during my periode of "ignorance",I thought that I liked go to the cinema uncovering my hair because people might think that it wasn't my place.I tried that experience and I felt like a fish out of water even if I wasn't wearing hijab,but I knew that I was muslimah.now I sure of my feelings and if I don't want to be judged as someone who goes to haram places,I don't go there at all.so sister,if you don't wearyour hijab just not to be judged badly,why should you do it out of the work place?how can people identify you if you wear hijab "swinging"?you should make a choice:eek:r you wear it and you are an example for everyone,or you don't wear it at all,because,by myself you may give to "gossipy" people the satisfaction to be like them when you dress like them.something haram is something in which things are made illegally,so what's the matter if you work in a honest place?if you are able to choose between wearing the skirt or the trousers,why aren't you able to impose your desire to be respected?what do you fear?:wasalam::hijabi: