Selfish Westernized Syrian Women Care Only About Their Voice in Syrian Politics

Status
Not open for further replies.

Abd_Al_Hadi

لبيك يا الله
Disgusting. As people are dying, there's a group of sick sick women who are willing to prolong the causalities and delay any sort of intervention just as long as they get what they want. These "female dogs" have absolutely no consideration. Do they not know that their idiotic action is effecting the civilians inside of Syria? If you want your woman rights in Syria, then GO AND FIGHT along the FSA. Don't sit there in Doha mall and shop for shoes and expect to earn recognition once the Bashar al Pig is toppled....

I swear, these are the kind of women who deserve domestic violence.

ap-mideast-qatar-syria-opposition-4_3_r560.jpg

— The leadership of Syria's main opposition group in exile is an all-male affair after elections failed to promote a single woman to the decision-making group of 41 members.

Some of the female delegates at the Syrian National Council conference in the Qatari capital of Doha rushed the podium in protest after the results were announced in the early hours of Thursday. They said the new leadership fails to reflect the key role of women in the push to topple Syrian President Bashar Assad.

On at least this point, the SNC appeared to fall short in its attempt to showcase a new diversity in the face of international criticism that it is not representative enough of the whole spectrum of the opposition. After the vote by more than 400 members of the SNC's general assembly, the group tried to redress the lack of women in its new leadership. SNC chief Abdelbaset Sieda said he was "so sad" and would try to add four women to the general secretariat by decree.

"The bottom line is that there is a recognition that the women got shafted, and that it has to be fixed," said delegate Muna Jondy, 37, an immigration lawyer from Flint, Michigan. It's "not going to cure the underlying problem, which I think was the lack of recognition of the importance of the voice of women at the decision-making table," she added.

The SNC, established a year ago from a pool of long-term Syrian exiles and academics, has faced mounting criticism from within Syria and the international community that it is out of touch with those inside risking their lives on the frontlines.

The group's Doha conference was largely intended to deflect such claims and present a more broad-based membership. SNC member Khalid Saleh claimed some success, saying that 15 representatives of local activist groups inside Syria won representation.

However, those efforts may have come too late. The United States and other foreign backers of the Syrian rebels are promoting the idea of a new leadership forum where the SNC may play only a small role.

The women's marginal role in the SNC is in marked contrast to their active participation in the 19-month-old conflict.

In the early days of the uprising, women organized mass rallies and featured prominently in local grassroots organizations, risking arrest and torture just like their male counterparts. As the uprising became militarized, their role receded somewhat, but the civil war, fought in populated areas, is hitting them just as hard as the men.

The SNC, trying to boost its image, had set a 15 percent women's quota for its new, expanded general assembly of some 420 delegates attending the Doha conference that began on Sunday. Jondy, the Michigan lawyer, said she had been hastily recruited as a delegate in what she believes was an attempt to meet the quota.

Still, women seemed to have been largely relegated to the sidelines of the conference. The convention hotel lobby was full of male SNC members engulfed by clouds of cigarette smoke huddled over coffee to strike deals and talk strategy.

SNC spokesman George Sabra said that in previous gatherings of the group, women only made up about 5 percent and that the new quota was needed to help women get a foot in the door.

"Otherwise, men will do everything by themselves forever," Sabra said before the results were announced.

In the early morning hours of Thursday, SNC delegates gathered in a hotel ballroom to hear the new leadership lineup. After it became apparent that women had been shut out, some rose from their seats in protest.

"Where are the women?" Fariza Jahjah, a math teacher from the southern Syrian town of Sweida, said in a raised voice across several rows of seats.

A heated discussion ensued, with many of the male delegates saying women needed to be represented in the leadership group. A few men argued the women should accept the results. "This is democracy," some kept saying.

Rima Fleihan, a Syrian playwright and women's activist, attributed the fact that men are firmly in control of the exile-based political opposition to the influence of the Islamic fundamentalist Muslim Brotherhood in the SNC. But, she said, women also lack political experience.

Fleihan, a prominent anti-regime activist who fled Syria a year ago, is a member of a grassroots organization, the Local Coordination Committees. She said she left the SNC because she believes the group has been ineffective.

Some of the women at the conference had been active in the uprising, and left Syria only recently to escape arrest.

Ranna Ibrahim, a delegate at the SNC conference, said she was detained for three days earlier this year for organizing anti-regime protests along with fellow lawyers in the northeastern Syrian city of Raqqa. Ibrahim, 31, fled Syria nine months ago after government threats against her intensified. Jahjah left four months ago, amid fears she might be arrested for her role in organizing protests.

Women were active in the uprising from the start.

Last year, human rights lawyer Razan Zaytouni, who went into hiding shortly after the revolt began, was awarded the Anna Politkovskaya Award for risking her life by breaking through the government's media blackout to report on the brutal crackdown in Syria. The award, named after the slain Russian journalist, is given annually to a woman human rights defender standing up for victims in a conflict zone.

Fadwa Suleiman, a Syrian actress who hails from Assad's minority sect, took center stage at anti-government protests in the central city of Homs, often giving speeches to inspire the crowds. She fled to Paris earlier this year. Women in the coastal city of Banias often blocked the highway to keep security forces and pro-Assad militiamen away.

Even under four decades of dictatorship by the Assad clan, Syrian women have been more active in public life than many of their sisters in other countries in the Arab world. Assad has a female vice president, and a number of women are Cabinet ministers and lawmakers.

At the start of the SNC conference, Jahjah still had high hopes, encouraged by the 15 percent quota. She said she expected representation to be increase to 30 percent soon.

Fleihan, the writer, said women must become more assertive and claim a bigger share.

"Women do many great jobs in the revolution, so they must get their rights, next to the men, in the fight against the regime," she said.

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam alaikum,

You do not call women female dogs nor do you wish domestic violence on anyone. Please show some maturity edit your post. This is really abusive and immature.

Abd_Al_Hadi

لبيك يا الله
Assalaam alaikum,

No, I believe its accurate. Those puppets are ruining the chance of Rebels forming a proper Islamic government. CLEARLY, the Western Liberals are using them to push Syria from Sharia. I would rather have Taliban as government.

[video=youtube;lMkHHeXuWK0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lMkHHeXuWK0&feature=g-all-u[/video]

Children are digging in dumpsters for food, and all those stupid Western-bred women care about is seats in parliament?! Seriously?! I would love to marry those kind of women just to give them black eyes and bloody noses and cuff them to the kitchen counter.

(don't get me wrong, the good sisters who do sacrifice for the sake of humanity are the ones who deserve to be my leaders. This is NOT about women's rights. This is about a few selfish people who are asking for something at the wrong time)

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam alaikum,

You are wrong. You do not call women dogs. I don't care what you think. Edit your post. And what kind of woman raised a man who calls himself Muslim that advocates domestic violence.

Think for a minute.

Please, your argument becomes null and void.

Abd_Al_Hadi

لبيك يا الله
So Nonie Darwish is not a dog?

She's definitely a dog, and I would LOVE to punch her in the nose.

a_stranger

Please brother , I understand your concern , yes it is not the time for such foolishness , the priority is to save the poor civilians now , to rescue the victims , but use some other language on this forum .

uniqueskates

Rabbe Zidni Illma
Assalaamualaikum brother.

I agree with Mother. Shouldn't call women that way.
I agree you are young, your blood boils when you see such things happen to our brothers and sisters. But tongue is a razor sharp sword. Ought to be careful.
Be reflective, Not reactive. Else you are just one among the crowd.
Peace.

Hard Rock Moslem

I'm your brother
Brother Abd_Al_Hadi, what happen to you? I agree these women are wrong for asking position in SNC. Politic is the last thing women should ever get involve. However they don't deserve domestic violence, Islam never approve. You probably was joking.

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam alikum,

This is not a joke. As in essence he is saying that his mother has brought him to call women dogs and abuse women. If he write about domestic abuse as a means to silence women it makes me wonder is that the way he was raised?

So much for men being in control and not emotional!!!

Hassan

Laa ilaha ilaa Allah
Staff member
:wasalam:

Brother, Domestic violence has no place in any marriage. Disbelievers who want to attack Islam often accuse us of this, your comments harm us all and Islam itself.

Unfortunately, the language you use has become a focus and detracted from the issue you raise for discussion. That in itself should concern you.

Wa alaikum asalaam.

sister herb

Official TTI Chef
Salam alaykum

wives and daughters of tyrans might be misguided women but no need to call them by bad names. May Allah shows them right path and may Allah also forgives to them whose call them by bad names.

Only Allah can open they eyes, let them understand dangers of westernizing. Who else even could?

sister herb

Official TTI Chef
Salam alaykum

I am not here in the forum or in the world judge others by they mistakes. I can´t support any who would do so too. I try to learn mercy of islam and how to be mercy to common people too.

:muslim_child:

Asja

Pearl of Islaam
So Nonie Darwish is not a dog?

She's definitely a dog, and I would LOVE to punch her in the nose.

Assalamu Allaicum wa rahmatullah wa barakatuhu

These are very shameless words dear brother, and one good Muslim should not speak on this way neither have these kind of thoughts. May Allah guide you InshAllah. Wa la hawle wa la quwete illa billahi.

Allhamdullilah that these kind of actions which present direct violence of the basic human rights are punishable by law.

Wa Allaicumu sallam

Abd_Al_Hadi

لبيك يا الله
Assalaam alikum,

This is not a joke. As in essence he is saying that his mother has brought him to call women dogs and abuse women. If he write about domestic abuse as a means to silence women it makes me wonder is that the way he was raised?

So much for men being in control and not emotional!!!

Please dont bring my mother into this. My mother's toenail is worth far more what you are. get it thru your fat thick skull and stop taking words out of context and instigating to turn everyone against me. You do this a lot to me and other people here. I try to be patient with you, but you have a mental disorder. I said women such as THOSE liberal dogs deserve a beating, not all women.

Sisters like Sister Harb and a few more worthy sisters here are worthy of being cherished and loved and protected. Because Allah has blessed with beautiful hearts. You, on the other hand, probably were a victim of domestic....and sadly, I can see why.

FYI, I personally know a few brothers and sisters here...as in we communicate outside this forum, and they all complain about you. Get yourself together and stop bullying members.

if you EVER mention my beautiful and majestic mother again, I will flip on you.

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam alaikum,

Flip.

But do not call women dogs. You have no right to call women you do not know dogs. Nor do you have the right to advocate domestic violence. What kind of man are you?

Go and ask forgiveness as you are in dire need. Ask your mother forgiveness. You can not have such a low opinion of women. It reflects on you.

Your emotional instability has caused you to take a topic and become negatively charged. I did not attack your mother. You did by calling women dogs on a Muslim website and advocating domestic violence.

I forgive you. You will have to present these words to Allah about me on the Day of Judgement. I am defending all women. No woman deserves to be called names nor should any woman have to be threatened with domestic violence. and that is what you are advocating.

Take a nice cold shower, pray and ask for forgiveness. Go edit your thread and apologize to all members of the forum and guests.

John Smith

Keyboard warrior is out.

How do you 'Flip' someone? is this a new term what the kids use in school?.

I have strong beliefs that the abused end up being the abuser.

Abd_Al_Hadi

لبيك يا الله
anyways, back to what really matters:

[video=youtube;OfMD44-LN0g]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OfMD44-LN0g&feature=g-all-u[/video]

This little innocent cute boy is struggling for his last breaths while inconsiderate people out there are "barking" for the throne.

a_stranger

Please brothers and sisters try to help those poor kids and women with all you can . Tell others about them . This is a big test for us. Those who have wealth now they can buy Janna by giving some money .

Shak78

There is no reason to call a woman a dog nor say domestic violence is ok. You need to calm down brother because your comments are way out of line. Get your young temper under control. If this is the way you think I pity your future wife.

Status
Not open for further replies.