Shaking Hands

M

Mehry

:bismillah:

:salam2: every1........

Men and women should not shake hands outside the mahram ties.
Hadith - Recorded by Malik, Ahmad, al-Nasai, al-Tirmidhi and ibn Majah.
[Al-Albani has graded it sahih. Al-Albani, Sahih al-Jami, vol. 1, p. 494.]
The Prophet (saw) said, "I do not shake the hands of women."

Hadith - Bukhari 9:321 (& 7:211)
The Prophet (saw) used to take the Pledge of allegiance from the women by words only after reciting this Holy Verse: (60.12) "..that they will not associate anything in worship with Allah." (60.12) And the hand of Allah's Apostle did not touch any woman's hand except the hand of that woman his right hand possessed. (i.e. his captives or his lady slaves).

Hadith - Sahih Muslim, narrated 'A'isha (ra)
By Allah, the hand of the Messenger of Allah (saw) never touched the hand of a woman. By Allah, the Messenger of Allah (saw) never took any vow from women except that which Allah had ordered him to take, and his palm never touched the palm of a woman. When he had taken their vow, he would tell that he had taken the oath from them orally.

:jazaak:

Mrmuslim

Smile you are @ TTI
Staff member
salaam alikom

Jazaak Allah Khyran on the topic, just wanted to add that yes its no allowed to shake hands with any women who is not MAHRAM to you
except for brothers, sisters, fathers, mothers, and who is a Mahram to you.

wa salaaam alikom

AishaR

Assalam Alaikum

What are you meant to do if you are in a position where you meet someone new or go for an interview & they extend their hand, as not to appear rude??

Salam

Mabsoot

Amir
Staff member
:salam2:

Sister AishaR please see following post:

http://www.turntoislam.com/forum/showthread.php?t=594

This is from that post. . .

I have a few tips inshaAllah.

Stay bit back, the closer you are the more the interviewer will want to extend that hand.

If he/she puts out their hand:

You can put your hand on your chest. Although this is not from the sunnah, or has anything to do with Islam (as is merely shaking someones hand, because giving Salam and shaking a persons hand is the Sunnah.). Putting your hand on your chest when they try to shake it is good because it doesnt seem as awkward as just keeping your hand by yourside.. or pulled back! And they wont think you are being "rude".

Give an explanation as to why you cant shake their hand, tell them that you are a practising Muslim. 9 times out of 10 this is enough. Infact, in my experience people know even without being told, if you do the hands on chest trick.

Dont be ashamed or scared of offering an explanation though. - This is because our Islam gives us a greater understanding of how humans should behave and interact with one another. And it is something that Allah gave to mankind as the ultimate gift on this world. Islam teaches us the best ettiquette and behaviour

And if by chance this affects your job application, let it be. Dont let it worry you, because this deen (religion) is much more valuable than all the riches or anything this earth could offer. Be happy that you are not working for some close minded people who can not understand other cultures/faiths. etc. Allah will reward you and give you good in the hereafter inshaAllah. :)

Wasalam, and i hope you get your dream job! and may Allah give us all Jannatul Firdaus ! Ameen.

P.S if everything else fails to work, you can always spit on your hand an extend it out.. Thats a Joke!! Dont do it. :astag:

hambaAllah

:bismillah: :salam2:
i have 6 foster brothers whom ive stayed with when my late foster parents adopted me when i was 12 yrs. Athough they r muslim i guess they didnt have religious knowledge, so do I.:( .Every year during the muslim festive holidays,, i end up "salam" my foster parents n 4 elder brothers n my foster sister,this continues till i at last was shown the path n attended religous knowledge class last year.This Eid,I visited my eldest brother home to pay respect,, n didnt do the physical "salam" with him but did "salam" all the female present.My foster brother"s son wanted to "salam" me but told him ,, now we cant salam cos our "wudhu" will be void, altho he consider me his aunty. I told my edest brother wife about my not "salam" my brothers n she remarked..its OK.. cos they r ur brothers...but i highlight to her,, we r not blood brother/sister,, so muslim law we r not mahram,, she says i shudnt be too strict in my practice..i hope n pray Allah swt will guide all my brothers n their families to see the light,:inshallah:It is sad indeed we have lots of muslim here who dont really adhere to the teaching of Quran n sunnah of prophet Muhammad saw.If i happen to meet my non-muslim former male colleagues,,i guess they will not be stretching out their hand for a handshake,, like we used to do,,, cos of my "hijab",Alhamduillah i no longer work so dont have anymore problem with handshaking with our appreciative customers(used to work in the post office).FYI,, "salam"is an act of kissing the right back hand of older muslim male(only if mahram) or female.. guess its like some people who do cheek to cheek like the arabs/french eh! :wasalam:

AishaR

Asalam

Thanx for the reply brother Mabsoot. That is a good idea & if that fails there is always your way, lol

Salam