Shaving the newborns head

loveislam1

Asalam alikoum wa rahamtallah
I have a question inshallah and hoping someone can answer with some daleel. I had my baby 3 weeks ago allhamdullilah and shaved her head. When I had company over this past weekend to visit her....one of the ladies said that it wasnt sunnah for the girls to have thier heads shaved, I thought that it is sunnah regadless of the gender of the baby, can anyone tell me am I right or is she right? I am confused :girl3:

mohamedqadar

:salam2: sis i hope this will help you answering your question

Praise be to Allah, the Lord of the Worlds; and blessings and peace be upon our Prophet Muhammad and upon all his Family and Companions.

Prophet Muhammad (Blessings and peace of Allah be upon him) made the following as Sunnah for us when we get a new born baby: 1- To shave clean his/her head seven days after his/her birth, to weigh the hair and give its weight from silver or gold or their money equivalent as alms. 2- To slaughter a sheep for the girl and two sheep for the boy. 3- To give him/her a good and nice name. al-Bukhari narrated from Sulaiman Ibn Amir al-Dabi () said that Prophet Muhammad (Blessings and peace of Allah be upon him) said: “Aqiqah” (one or two sheep) should be slaughtered for the newborn, shed blood on behalf of him/her and take out any nuisances (that could be stuck to his/her body). Ashab al-Sunan (Abu Dawood, al-Nasa‘i, Ibn Majah, al-Tirmizi) narrated from Samura () he said: Prophet Muhammad (Blessings and peace of Allah be upon him) said: “Every new born is mortgaged to his/her Agiqah, it should be slaughtered on behalf of him/her on his/her seventh day. He should be given a name on that same day and his head clean shaved”. A sound Hadith. Allah knows best.

Fardeen007

Assalam walaikum
My brother had a boy and he will be 2 years this february.He didnt slaughter sheep for the boy.Can he slaughter now or what should he do?

Meraj

Brother
:salam2: sis i hope this will help you answering your question

Praise be to Allah, the Lord of the Worlds; and blessings and peace be upon our Prophet Muhammad and upon all his Family and Companions.

Prophet Muhammad (Blessings and peace of Allah be upon him) made the following as Sunnah for us when we get a new born baby: 1- To shave clean his/her head seven days after his/her birth, to weigh the hair and give its weight from silver or gold or their money equivalent as alms. 2- To slaughter a sheep for the girl and two sheep for the boy. 3- To give him/her a good and nice name. al-Bukhari narrated from Sulaiman Ibn Amir al-Dabi () said that Prophet Muhammad (Blessings and peace of Allah be upon him) said: “Aqiqah” (one or two sheep) should be slaughtered for the newborn, shed blood on behalf of him/her and take out any nuisances (that could be stuck to his/her body). Ashab al-Sunan (Abu Dawood, al-Nasa‘i, Ibn Majah, al-Tirmizi) narrated from Samura () he said: Prophet Muhammad (Blessings and peace of Allah be upon him) said: “Every new born is mortgaged to his/her Agiqah, it should be slaughtered on behalf of him/her on his/her seventh day. He should be given a name on that same day and his head clean shaved”. A sound Hadith. Allah knows best.

Jazak Allah Kheiran Brother.....

Happy 2BA Muslim

Islamophilic
:salam2:

Question:
Regarding answer to ?14248 how did the sheik come to the verdict it is not sunnah to shave girls hair,dont girls have the harm in thier hair as well,is there difference of opinion.

Answer:
Praise be to Allaah.

Al-Tirmidhi (1522) narrated that Samurah said: The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said:

“The boy is in pledge for his ‘aqeeqah which should be slaughtered on his behalf on the seventh day, and he should be named and his head shaved.”

This hadeeth was classed as saheeh by al-Albaani in Saheeh al-Tirmidhi, and it indicates that it is mustahabb to shave the hair of the newborn.

The fuqaha’ differed with regard to shaving the head of a female newborn. The Maalikis and Shaafa’is are of the view that it should be shaved as the male’s head is shaved. The Hanbalis are of the view that it should not be shaved.

The Shaafa’is quoted as evidence for shaving the head of a female the mursal report narrated by Maalik, al-Bayhaqi and others from Muhammad ibn ‘Ali ibn al-Husayn who said: Faatimah the daughter of the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) weighed the hair of Hasan, Husayn, Zaynab and Umm Kalthoom, and gave the equivalent weight in silver in charity. Al-Bayhaqi also narrated it in a marfoo’ report from ‘Ali (may Allaah be pleased with him) who said: The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) told Faatimah to give charity equal to the weight in silver of the hair of al-Husayn. Al-Nawawi said: There is some weakness in its isnaad.

The argument of the Hanbalis is based on the fact that in principle women are not allowed to shave their heads, and there is no report concerning shaving the newborn except in the case of a boy.

Ibn Qudaamah said in al-Mughni (1/104): It is proven in the reports that it is makrooh for a woman to shave her head unnecessarily. Abu Moosa said: The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) disavowed himself of women who raise their voices and shave their heads (at times of loss). Agreed upon.

Al-Khallaal narrated with his isnaad from Qataadah that ‘Ikrimah said: The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) forbade women to shave their heads, and al-Hasan said: It is mutilation – i.e., changing the creation of Allaah.

Because there is no saheeh hadeeth which speaks of shaving the head of a newborn female, the principle remains, which is that it is forbidden to shave the head.

See: Sharh al-Khurashi ‘ala Mukhtasar Khaleel (3/48); al-Majmoo’ (8/406); Kishshaaf al-Qinaa’ (3/29).

With regard to the command to remove the harm that is mentioned in the words of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him), “With the boy there is his ‘aqeeqah so shed blood on his behalf and remove the harm from him” (narrated by al-Bukhaari (5471), the phrase “remove the harm” may be interpreted in different ways. It was said that what is meant is shaving the head, or removing any dirt that is on it, such as blood etc. So it may be understood that it means it is mustahabb to wash it.

Al-Haafiz said in al-Fath (9/593): In the hadeeth of Ibn ‘Abbaas that is narrated by al-Tabaraani it says: “Remove the harm from him and shave his head.” So he added the idea of shaving the head after saying remove the harm. Therefore we should interpret the word adha (harm) as referring to something more general in meaning than shaving the head. This is supported by the fact in that some versions of the hadeeth of ‘Amr ibn Shu’ayb it says: “and wipe the dirt from him”. Narrated by Abu’l-Shaykh. End quote.

Whatever the case, the hadeeth refers to boys only (ghulaam) and this supports the view of the Hanbalis.

And Allaah knows best.

Islam Q&A

:salam2:

loveislam1

Asalam alikoum
So there are two different answers, two madhabs allow for it and one doesnt, may we be rewarded for our intentions inshallah.

q8penpals

Salam

What is the actual purpose of shaving the head? I mean, a baby's hair can't weight that much - can't you just donate a reasonable amount?

?

Lana

loveislam1

Asalam alikoum Lana
Good question I dont know the actual reason, the reason I did it is simply because it is sunnah. And I know that things the Prophet salalhu alahi wa salam did must be good for us even though they are not always explained. According to the hadith II beoeive it says doing his birth rituals is to remove any harm for the child.

Another example is the tahneek the rubbing of the date on the pallate of the baby according to one shiekh I read it is now known in modern medicine that once the umbilical cord is cut the babies blood sugar can driop to dangerous levels, also the rubbing of the date on the pallate encourages the sucking reflex. Allah knows best.

bintul islam

biz musulmanikh
As far as I know, shaving the head makes the hair grow thicker, stronger and healthier. And Allah sw knows best. I guess you can just donate some money but know shaving the head is sunna and one who does it with the intention of following the sunna inshala gets rewarded by Allah sw.