She wants to become Muslim but she cannot accept some of the rulings such as hijaab

ayman

La Ilaha Illa Allah
Staff member
She wants to become Muslim but she cannot accept some of the rulings such as hijaab and doing the prayers on time
I was born in a French catholic family. My parents are strong and sincere believers, and I respect that a lot.
Now I'm very interested in Islam, but there are a couple of reasons that "prevent" me from converting. For instance, as a woman, I cannot accept polygamy, the fact of stoning people who had an affair, of always depend on a "mahram"...
Furthermore, it's not "easy" to be and live as a Muslim in a western country : in my job, I wouldn't be able to wear a veil, not to shake men's hands anymore, pray 5 times a day... And my parents (especially my mother who is sick) would be very sad seeing me leaving Christianity.
So my question is to know how I can convert in such conditions. Is there a kind of "minimum" required ? I mean, considering that there are still things which I don't accept, wouldn't it be better for me to wait ?
Thanks for your help.

Answer:

Praise be to Allaah.

We put the following question to Shaykh Muhammad ibn Saalih al-‘Uthaymeen:

A non-Muslim woman is saying, “I want to become Muslim but on the condition that I do not have to do the five prayers until the end of the day, because I cannot do them at work. And also I cannot accept the idea of polygamy.”

He answered as follows:

Praise be to Allaah. I think that she should adhere to the rulings of Islam if she wants to become Muslim and be saved from the Fire. But as for her choosing what she wants and saying I cannot accept the idea of polygamy – as if she is saying that she cannot accept it as a ruling from Allaah – or saying I cannot pray until I finish my work, this is not acceptable.

Question:

In the book “Muntaqa al-Akhbaar”, the author says, “Chapter on the soundness of a person’s Islam when he lays down invalid conditions”, and he mentions the hadeeth of Waheeb, who said:

“I asked Jaabir about the tribe of Thaqeef, when they gave their Bay’ah (oath of allegiance) to the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allâh be upon him), with the condition that they would not have to pay Sadaqah (charity) or engage in Jihaad. After that he heard the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allâh be upon him) say, ‘They will give sadaqah and they will engage in jihaad.’”

Can we understand from this that if a non-Muslim comes and says ‘I want to become Muslim on the condition that I can do all the prayers together at the end of the day’ this is OK, or is this an entirely different case?

Shaykh:

This is an entirely different case, because when that was said to the Messenger (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him), he said, “If they become Muslim, they will pray.” This has to do with matters of the Unseen, which we cannot know. (in other words, the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) accepted that from them because he knew, from what Allaah taught him of the Unseen, that these people would become good Muslims and would give charity and engage in jihaad, whereas we cannot know the Unseen and how this non-Muslim will be in the future). If we accepted the conditions laid down by the kuffaar, Islam would disintegrate. One may stipulate the condition that we let him engage in zinaa (unlawful sexual activity), another may demand that we let him drink wine, and so on and so forth…. The Messenger (peace and blessings of Allâh be upon him) told ‘Ali, when he sent him to the people of Khaybar: “Tell them what their duties are towards Allaah in Islam.” The condition of Islam is that it must be accepted in totality, as it is. The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allâh be upon him) told Mu’aadh, “Teach them that Allaah has enjoined five prayers upon them, and if they accept that, then tell them about Zakaah.” So the obligations of Islam have to be accepted.

Question:

Can we not say that this person’s entering Islam serves a great interest, and that their stipulating that they should be excused a few acts of worship is less harmful?

Shaykh: Not at all! Whose interests are being served here? The interests of the person himself? But this is damaging to Islam, because then lazy Muslims will say, “We will only pray when we have finished work, like this person does.” So the harm this would do to Islam is serious. If he really wants to save himself, let him accept Islam in totality. “And whomsoever Allaah leads astray, no-one can guide.”

So what we say to you is this: become Muslim and accept Islam in totality. Submit to Allaah in all that He has prescribed, and Allaah will help you and give you the strength to follow His laws, if you are sincere in your intention towards Him. Then if you are faced with something that you cannot do for a genuine reason, or are forced to do something, then if you are sincere, Allaah will not punish you for that. May Allaah help us and you to accept the truth and adhere to it. May Allaah bless our Prophet Muhammad.
Islam Q&A
Sheikh Muhammed Salih Al-Munajjid

ummidrys

another excellent point i agree with masha'allah
if the porson believes in tawheed and undestands tawheed then they should enter islam. they should also enter islam with the interntion to work at accepting and implementing all the laws, rules etc of islam. if they fail occasionally, or find it really hard in the begining etc...insha'allah thats ok but they must always be aiming to improve, to work on themselves and what they mess up in...so an addict should not refuse to declare shahada which he believes in because narcotics are instruments of the shaytan and haram in islam...he should declare his shahada, put his trust in Allah and work hard daily to kick the habit. if he falls off soon after he should pick himself up, make repentance and try again...alhamdulillah for this wonderful religion...intention and sincerety can save all of us from the fire...so long as we firmly hold on to tawheed...subhanallah!

new-muslim

As salam o alaikum

I think the most important belief at the beginning is in the oneness of Allah and the Prophet Mohamed (pbuh) as the last messenger. In sh'allah as you learn more about Islam, things that you may not agree with or have full knowledge of will come. If you look at the rulings and reasons for hijab and polygamy there is sense there. A lot of men are not going to take say 3 wives in their life anyway so I wouldn't fear that if you get married your husband will be moving a new wife in the next month!! I am sure that if your husband wanted to get married again, you would have to agree also to it. Regarding prayer, as your faith in Allah grows you will want to pray on time. If you do believe that Islam is the true religion you should convert.

UmmOf3

Salaam aleikum

I think that as long as a person actually believe in the Tawheed, and knows about islam, and the Prophet sallalahu aleihi wa salaam, I think that most other things comes by time. I first strongly opposed polygyny, I was against hijab, not as a ruling, ofcourse, but for myself, I did not want it. Hence, i married a man who did not want more than one wife, and I did not wear hijab.

Later on, I changed my view on hijab, alhamdulillah, despite my husbands attempts (now, exhusband) to make me not wear it, as he did not like the attention I got, and how people looked at me. Mostly because he wanted to protect me, i think, but... well, never mind... rambling again...

There is an article on net called "Convertittis, or the case of the insta-scholar" or something like that. It is not entirely good, but it also has many good points.

EminaMuslimah

Dear Sister,
It is sad to hear Your situation.
No one is saying to you that you need to do everything fast.
Try example to learn more about islam and the rules in Islam, and
slowly you can cower yourself...

ASSALAM ALAIKUM SISTER

FIRST OF ALL YOU HAVE TO DO IS TO EMBRACE ISLAM .COME INTO THE FOLD OF ISLAM BY BRINGING YOUR FAITH ON ALLAH(SWT) AND HIS PROPHET MUHAMMAD (PEACE BE UPON HIM).THEN GRADUALLY CONTINUE YOUR JOURNEY TOWARDS COMPLETING YOUR FAITH...GO AHEAD....I WELCOME YOU INTO THE WORLD OF BELIEVERS.

MUHAMMAD

arleta

Salam alaikum!I just wanted to say that at the beginning I was not agree with the poligamy,because I can't imagine my husband with another woman.The point is that the poligamy is not a thing that a man should do...but could do.He's got an opportunity,but not a duty.A woman can choose if she wants to marry a married man.If she marry a single man in her contract she can add that if her husband wants to marry another woman ,he will need to divorce a first one 'cause she is not agree.There's a lots of aspects you need to learn,but believe me it's really worth.I hope you'll find your way.Salam

hmsohail

Dear sister, This is ALLAH SUBHANA TA'LA who give you the understanding about Islam inspite of born as a Catholic. He is the doer of each and every thing. This is not difficult for Him to make that easy for you, What you are thinking difficult, inshallah He loves you sooo much thats why He gave you the guidance, please don't ignore it. follow what Brother Muhammad wrote to you, inshallah then you can understand every thing. To learn swim you need to be in swimming pool. May ALLah SUBHANA TA'LA cure you mother. take care. Hasan