Shehu Usman dan Fodio (1754 - 1817) Islamic reformer

Discussion in 'Islamic Discussion' started by Mairo, Aug 16, 2008.

1. Mairo

Mairo Maryama

Accounting
    Ratings Received:
    +9 / 0
    :salam2:

Shaihu Usman dan Fodio (also referred to as Shaikh Usman Ibn Fodio or Shehu Usman dan Fodio), 1754 - 1817, was a writer and Islamic reformer. He was a tremendous scholar and upholder of the Quran and Sunnah of the prophet, salla aleyhi was salaam. Many do not know about him and have never heard his story, so I wanted to share some of it with you. He is an excellent role model, and I have a personal debt of gratitude to him. I was fortunate enough to live in the land where he struggled to reform the practice of Islam, and I benefited greatly because of it.

http://www.africa.upenn.edu/Articles_Gen/Uthm_Fodio.html
  2. Mairo

Mairo Maryama

Accounting
    Ratings Received:
    +9 / 0
    Nana Asma'u

And also his daughter was very active in the reform, some of her inspirational story can be learned here:

http://www.gamji.com/article3000/NEWS3642.htm
  3. Aapa

Aapa Mirajmom

Ratings Received:
    +150 / 12
    Salaam,

This is a good post. I believe there was an earlier posting about him. We have been given such great role models.
  4. Mairo

Mairo Maryama

Accounting
    Ratings Received:
    +9 / 0
  5. Aapa

Aapa Mirajmom

Ratings Received:
    +150 / 12
    Salaam,

Sister I just wanted to post how much I enjoy the thought and work you put into your discussions. It almost makes me a little jealous. You writing skills are delicious.
  6. Mairo

Mairo Maryama

Accounting
    Ratings Received:
    +9 / 0
    Thank you! Hearing that means a lot to me. You are a true gem. Love you ALWAYS for the sake of Allah. May he have Mercy on us all.

To be honest I am often fearful of writing because words are so powerful. Words can sometimes take on a life of their own, and it can be easy to be misunderstood. I try as much as possible to stick to repeating Qur'an and Sunnah, and put my trust in Allah, because that way you can never go wrong. Ultimately, when I do write it is because I feel an obligation to defend and uphold Islam, and I sincerely hope there may be some benefit to my contribution. I do find the courage to speak out even if it means I will incur wrath from some. And I know that ultimately Allah knows best.

Also, I want you to know that I appreciate that you have taken on the role of "aapa" (I am guessing that means mom?) here. As you may or may not know, I lost my mother many years ago, and there is nothing like the unconditional love and support you get from a mom. :)

And PS: I never read the book you recommended in the other thread, but I do have Frantz Fanon's "The Wretched of the Earth" that was given to me as a gift when I first returned from Africa. His writings illustrate oppression in a way that is very tangible, especially for those who are not familiar with how oppression can maim a person. Like you, I recommend his books highly.
  7. Aapa

Aapa Mirajmom

Ratings Received:
    +150 / 12
    Salaam,

Aapa is an older sister..so baby call on me anytime you want to..

As for words..they are poweful. Hence, the Quran. I love psycholingustics. I can not recall the exact title of Noam Chomsky's book on grammar and rules, but it is a good read.
    Imam Ghazalli thoughts on language are a deep reading and if you have time, do it.