Shield between man and woman when speaking.

Aisya al-Humaira

الحمدلله على كل حال
Assalamu'alaykum wa rahmatullahi wa barakaatuh,

I hope everyone is in the best of health, inshaa Allaah.

Before I start, let's make this an Islaamic discussion thread [hence why I posted in this section] rather than turning this thread into unwanted atmosphere [you know what I mean]. Also, hope there will not just be plain opinions but based on daleel [ayaat/ahadeeth/seerah], inshaa Allaah.

Shield between man and woman when speaking.

The discussion occured in an open group where the members [about 2K people] are members of the Mosque Organisation.

A brother brought up this question, "Isn't a shield is needed when talking to the opposite gender?"

I replied with a seerah when Abu Bakr and Umar radiyallahu anhumma visited Ummu Ayman after the demise of the Prophet Muhammad sallallahu alayhi wassalam, there was a shield between the two Sahaabah radiyallahu anhum and Ummu Ayman when they were communicating. This I gathered from the Kuliyyah Tafseer that I've constantly been listening to.

I added with: But the more important is for woman to guard their chastity and haya' [and also man, of course] especially when speaking in terms of voice, the intonation etc as to not make the voice sounds too gentle or "seducing", hence creating bad desires in those whose heart are corrupted.

"O wives of the Prophet, you are not like anyone among women. If you fear Allah , then do not be soft in speech [to men], lest he in whose heart is disease should covet, but speak with appropriate speech." [Al-Ahzaab: 32]

The tafseer of the ayaat can be read here: http://www.qtafsir.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1861&Itemid=89

Now, after I posted that, another brother came up and said that the seerah is only applied to the household of the Prophet sallallahu alayhi wassalaam as they have a high degree to retain.

I asked for daleel and he said its in the above ayaat that I posted. The ayaat is referring to the wives of the Prophet :saw2:, yes, and the above tafseer Ibnu Kathir also mentioned that "The Wives of the Prophet are not like Other Women". But the rulings that women are told not to be soft in speech still applies until this day.

My Ustaadh once told when he studied in a University in Middle East, there was a shield whenever there's a discussion between the men and the women. I think he meant when they are to discuss on programs/activities that involve both genders and at places such as the masjid.

I researched for the topic on shield between man and woman but there seems not to be many; not in islamqa either [or maybe I haven't found it].

Inshaa Allaah, hope others will shed some lights on this.

:wasalam:

Seeking Allah's Mercy

Qul HuwaAllahu Ahud!
Asalamo`Alaykum Wa Rahmatullahi Wa Baarakaatuh,

I suppose you asked here because it's hard to even imagin that TTI would let us down, right?

Well after you mention IslamQA didn't have an answer, I checked Multaqa. Now I'm starting to think Multaqa will never let me down;p

Read Here

I haven't read it but judging from the first paragraph I think it's somewhat related to your Question. Hope it does

Ershad

Walaikkum Assalam wa rahmatullahi wa barakatuhu,

I listened to an audio lecture by Shaykh Muhammad ibn Haadee al-Madkhalee (Hafidhahullah) regarding teaching women without barrier or separation. It is translated into English. I hope it gives you some insight. You can download and listen to it here - http://www.sunnahpublishing.net/audio/tadrisnisa.wma . The poem that the Shaykh mentions is a famous poetry by Rabee'ah Ibn 'Aamir, commonly known as "Miskeen ad-Daarimee" about the woman in the black khimaar (head covering) who seduced the devout worshipper with a single glance.

The Shaykh also mentions how the voice of a woman is a fitna and the face is, without doubt, is a greater fitna than voice. So, when women are asked not to be soft in speech, showing the face is a bigger trial than that. Allahu A'lam.

Baarakallahu feekum!

saima abdullah

my life iz 4 Allah
just adding we have read in sahee bukharee that companions RA enter to Ayesha R.A while she was behind a screen and many breast feed their kids from asma RA so that their kids can learn from hazrat Aysha direct /with out screen, as Hazrat Abdullah bin Zubair used to learn in side the house of Rasool Allah S.A.W and Allah knows the best ... m just sharing information its not a verdict :)

Aisya al-Humaira

الحمدلله على كل حال
Jazaakum Allaahu khaayraan katheeran brothers and sisters for your input. Inshaa Allaah I will look through the links when I have a bit free time.

I've looked into Sister Seeking Allah's Mercy link [multaqa forum], but it didn't specifically answer my question, but it was another addition of knowledge, alhamdulillah.

Seeking Allah's Mercy

Qul HuwaAllahu Ahud!
Jazaakum Allaahu khaayraan katheeran.

I've looked into Sister Seeking Allah's Mercy link [multaqa forum], but it didn't specifically answer my question, but it was another addition of knowledge, alhamdulillah.

Oops. Next time I will try to read before reffering some link to someone.

BaraakAllaahu feeki.

Ershad

Assalamu 'alaykkum,

I hope this helps, Insha Allah

First,intermixing of men and women in schools or any other places is considered a great Munkar (that which is unacceptable or disapproved of by Shari`ah and Muslims of sound intellect) and a great evil with regard to the affairs of both Din (religion) and the world. Thus, it is not permissible for women to study or work in a place which intermixes men and women. Similarly, their guardians should not allow them to do so.

Second,it is neither permissible for men to teach unveiled women nor to teach women wearing Shar`y (Islamically acceptable) veil in privacy. By the way, all of the body of a woman is `Awrah (parts of the body that must be covered) as far as a non-Mahram (not a spouse or an unmarriageable relative) is concerned. As for covering the head and showing the face, this is not full Hijab (veil).
( الجزء رقم : 12، الصفحة رقم: 157)

Third,it is permissible for a man to teach women from behind a screen in female schools where there is no intermixing of male and female students or male and female teachers.
If female students need to ask their male teacher about something, this should be done through closed communication networks, which are renowned and available, or via phones, however, such students should be careful not to soften their speech.
May Allah grant us success. May peace and blessings be upon our Prophet Muhammad, his family, and Companions.

The Permanent Committee for Scholarly Research and Ifta'

Member Member Member Chairman
Bakr Abu Zayd `Abdul-`Aziz Al Al-Shaykh Salih Al-Fawzan `Abdul-`Aziz ibn `Abdullah ibn Baz

Source

saifkhan

abd-Allah
As salam alaykumw arahamtu-llah

even the voice of women is fitna for men, at least for me
i think other would also agree with me.

i think there is no dispute among the scholars that there should be barrier required, as far i know, except some moderists i guess.

however, interesting thread, masha Allah ukht.

jazakAllah khair
wa alaykum as salam

Seeking Allah's Mercy

Qul HuwaAllahu Ahud!
Assalamu 'alaykkum,

I hope this helps, Insha Allah
Wasalamo`Alaykum wa Rahmatullahi Wa Baraakaatuh,
JazaakAllaahy khayraa.
,intermixing of men and women in schools or any other places is considered a great Munkar (that which is unacceptable or disapproved of by Shari`ah and Muslims of sound intellect) and a great evil with regard to the affairs of both Din (religion) and the world. Thus, it is not permissible for women to study or work in a place which intermixes men and women. Similarly, their guardians should not allow them to do so.

Second,it is neither permissible for men to teach unveiled women nor to teach women wearing Shar`y (Islamically acceptable) veil in privacy. By the way, all of the body of a woman is `Awrah (parts of the body that must be covered) as far as a non-Mahram (not a spouse or an unmarriageable relative) is concerned. As for covering the head and showing the face, this is not full Hijab (veil).
( الجزء رقم : 12، الصفحة رقم: 157)

Can someone expand on the above? I've read Shaykh Ayman at Multaqa mention this can't be applied to modern world strictly especially in the west.

There aren't many universities that provide us with segregation option. What do Muslims women do when they are to study, and do so in unis with men, teachers and students both.