Should Australia continue to send forces to Afghanistan?

Mahzala

فَتَبَارَكَ اللَّهُ أَحْسَنُ الْخَالِقِينَ
Respected Brothers and Sisters,

Assalamualaikum

:bismillah1:

I pray this reaches you in the very best state of health and InshaAllah spiritually inclined.

Once again, I seek your help. I have been given the challenging task to complete and academic piece of work on this question. Your suggestions and thought provoking answers are valuable to me, and anything provided will be of help. In advance, May Allah reward you.

So the question is:

Should Australia continue to contribute troops to the NATO-led International Security Assistance Force in Afghanistan? In your response, you may wish to consider issues relating to global security, regional stability and/or Australia's relations with other countries.

I look forward to hearing from you. Fee Amanillah.

Assalamualaikum

Saad Ali Shah

In order to maintain relations with other countries, Australia should remove forces from Afghanistan. It is harming it's relation with Muslim Countries!

al-hakim

salam

Yes i agree with Saad Ali Shah.but i think they could send their troops after afghanistan obtain fully independent,for peacekeeping purposes under UN's flag.

Fateme

Australia should send more forces to Afqanistan to improve his relation with other countries.Because almost all muslim countries do not pay attention to Afqan people and their lives are worthless.
But sending forces to Afqanistan will do no good to global security(if it does not harm it).

Salam-o-aleekom,

Brother I also agree with Saad sending more troops could harm Australia's reputation among the muslim countries and as you wrote in your post Australian NATO-led force. It means they are under the command of NATO and NATO is in war with rebels. Now if Australia aims to send forces to fight the Taliban and Hizb-e-Islamy labeling it as the "peacekeeping" forces I am sure they will see nothing but some dead bodies covered in the Australian flag.

The people of Afghanistan especially the Pashton tribe which the whole world is in war with are so disappointed from the goverment and it's policies that they are slowly joining the taliban. Surely the satuation under the Taliban regime was not exemplary but atleast you were not afraid of going out of home and not knowing if you will return back safely.

Living here in Sweden I can tell you that the majority of those people who were enthusiastic of sending the troops to Afghanistan and believing that the forces are making differnce now wants them back home. Because nothing has changed in past eight years and the situation is getting worse for every day which goes by.

Finally if Australia really wants to help Afghanistan then they should help Afghanistan financially.

I hope and pray to Allah (SAW) so he may grant you success in your assignment. These were my thoughts on the subject.

W/Salam

Abu Juwairiya

There are three perspectives on the issue. The first two relate to Australia as a Non Muslim country and its international image abroad while the third is over Australia's relations with the Muslim World and Afghanistan in particular. In all three cases, morality does not come into play.

In respect to the first perspective. This is Australia's personal issue. What are the pros and cons of Australian military involvement and this is where monetary costs, popularity of deployment, long term financial output (i.e. contracts awarded to Australian companies within Afghanistan), prestige abroad and to a lesser degree, short term divergence from political troubles at home.

The second issue; Australia's responsibility abroad, especially as a First World Nation and ally of the US is actually secondary, but usually deemed to be of primary importance, largely for image alone. The Coalition can survive without the Australian Defence forces and Afghanistan shares no border with Australia; hence its geographical importance is also of no significance since there is no close proximity between the two nations. Australia also does not itself need to participate.

Finally, Australia's sensitive relations with the Muslim World. Firstly, participation does not mean Australia is willing to be seen as 'a bad guy'. It just translates as non concern of what the Muslim World can do if Australia sends in its forces.

In all three situations, only the third has any real consideration for aftermath as no country wishes to portray itself as an active aggressor. The first two are matters of political concern and even then, only to a point- electoral prospects. No country wishes to have excess casualties and the effects of retaining boots on the ground for a long war.

Whatever the issues over short or long term objections and worries, Australia will go in and for as long as the US [and its Coaliton] requires. The only objective in reality is to appear united and stand together in what is likely to end as a highly unpopular and unwinnable war.