News Smart TVs That Can Listen to your private conversations.

queenislam

★★★I LOVE ALLAH★★★
Assalamu'alaikum!
greeting.
Careful what you say around Samsung's Smart TVs
February 9, 2015, 6:30 PM EST

Samsung’s privacy policy for its Smart TVs with voice controls warns that it could pick up personal information spoken nearby and transmit that information back to the company or to third parties.
If you want some privacy, you’d better step away from your television.

Samsung’s privacy policy for its SmartTV’s voice recognition control warns customers that the televisions may pick up personal information discussed nearby and then relay that information back to the company or to third parties.

“Please be aware that if your spoken words include personal or other sensitive information, that information will be among the data captured and transmitted to a third party through your use of Voice Recognition,” the policy on Samsung’s website says.

The voice recognition feature allows users to operate their television with voice commands that can turn the device on or off, change the channel, or even perform an online search.
The Daily Beast reported on the warning last week, prompting an activist at digital rights group Electronic Frontier Foundation to tweet the policy while offering up an unfavorable comparison to George Orwell’s 1984:
Samsung on Monday attempted to defuse the situation by issuing a statement in which it promised that it uses “industry-standard security safeguards” to protect customer data.
“Samsung does not retain voice data or sell it to third parties,” a Samsung spokesperson said in the statement. “If a consumer consents and uses the voice recognition feature, voice data is provided to a third party during a requested voice command search. At that time, the voice data is sent to a server, which searches for the requested content then returns the desired content to the TV.”
The company also noted that users can disable the voice recognition feature as well as disconnect the television from the Internet.
The third-party with which Samsung works on processing voice commands is reportedly a voice recognition company called Nuance. Consumer Reports notes that the two companies announced a partnership in 2012 and The Wall Street Journal reported last year that Samsung might be in the running to buy Nuance, which provided some of the technology used in Apple’s AAPL personal assistant app, Siri.
News.

Thank you fro reading,
~Wassalam :)

Hassan

Laa ilaha ilaa Allah
Staff member
... Samsung on Monday attempted to defuse the situation by issuing a statement in which it promised that it uses “industry-standard security safeguards” to protect customer data ...
... then in a few years we can expect industry-standard apologies that the safeguards were breached, our data was hacked and has been sold to the highest bidder.

I know I am cynical. The idea in all these privacy discussions that "if you have nothing to hide you have nothing to fear" very much misses the point. Of course, the same technology will be in smartphones too.

queenislam

★★★I LOVE ALLAH★★★
... then in a few years we can expect industry-standard apologies that the safeguards were breached, our data was hacked and has been sold to the highest bidder.

I know I am cynical. The idea in all these privacy discussions that "if you have nothing to hide you have nothing to fear" very much misses the point. Of course, the same technology will be in smartphones too.
Assalamu'alaikum!
You got a point there brother, like it or not ,they say it out loud enough and everyone have to come to term that there's always an invincible party poking at your privacy and what about vision ? What if they can see through from behind the screen ? The next thing you know you are on Youtube!! That's it, NO MORE t.v in my bed room this is too much!!!
~Wassalam.