Smoking Cigarettes

irah007

Assalamualaikum

I have a personal question and I would like some tips from my Muslim brothers and sisters.

My fiance smokes cigarettes which I had never liked, but I fell in love with him for many other reasons including his strong faith. Regarding his smoking, he has stated that he has no intention to quit. It upsets me but I understand because quitting is a habit very difficult to stop especially for very strong smokers. I think my aim is to help him realise by himself that smoking is dangerous to his health but his reply is always "if i'm fated to die, i would die because Allah wills it, whether i die through smoking or any other way. others who dont smoke also fall sick and die."

Is there any way I can help him realise quitting smoking is really very important for his health? Or is there any dua I can make for him to quit?

Appreciate all your replies and suggestions.

hayat84

I'm not what you believe
dear sister,I finally found somebody who has got my same situation.I can't say that my husband is a smoker,but he often does it,but never in my presence.At first I was disappointed,then angry,then I've understood that you can do nothing until he decides to quit from himself.it is the habitude that kafirs give to believers.we can't judge nobody for his mistakes.Allah will do His best,we're none to commend our partners to quit something he "likes",unless we decide to "quit" with him.;)

irah007

Thank u sister. Is there really no way to answer his reply? I don't like how he use religion as an excuse to continue smoking. I will not give up though. I have seen smokers quit and I believe he can quit if he just realise it. I will find a way to soothe him with my words and I will pray for him to quit every day.

Thank u again.

Precious Star

Assalamualaikum

I have a personal question and I would like some tips from my Muslim brothers and sisters.

My fiance smokes cigarettes which I had never liked, but I fell in love with him for many other reasons including his strong faith. Regarding his smoking, he has stated that he has no intention to quit. It upsets me but I understand because quitting is a habit very difficult to stop especially for very strong smokers. I think my aim is to help him realise by himself that smoking is dangerous to his health but his reply is always "if i'm fated to die, i would die because Allah wills it, whether i die through smoking or any other way. others who dont smoke also fall sick and die."

Is there any way I can help him realise quitting smoking is really very important for his health? Or is there any dua I can make for him to quit?

Appreciate all your replies and suggestions.

Sister, I will be blunt.

Your fiancé does not care about YOUR health.

as the years go by, you will become a second-hand smoker.

Your home will smell like smoke. Your clothing and your husband's clothing will smell. The smell will seep into your furniture and curtains and pillows. You will begin to grow used to it, but visitors to your home will be assaulted by the smell as soon as they walk in through the door.

Your husband will slowly become more prone to bronchial infections. Bronchitis, chronic cough, emphysema, lung disease, lung cancer. He will be at high risk for mouth, through and lung cancers. He will definitely get asthma, and you might get asthma too, and both of you will have to purchase expensive bronchial puffers from the doctor.

You will be his nursemaid. You may even be a young widow.

Your children will grow up smoking his leftovers.

Obviously, your fiancé is unconcerned about this, as he wishes only for his own happiness. His attitude is very disturbing. He does not care about your health. Your husband has an addiction to nicotine. Addiction to substances is not permitted in Islam.

Much of cigarette addiction runs in families. Guaranteed, one or all of your children will become smokers as well.

Allah SWT does not control our behaviour. We are given free will to choose the right and wrong path. Your fiancé can very easily go to his doctor and ask for a nicotine patch. Dua is not a magic spell that will control another person's behaviour. If your fiancé does not want to quit, he is not going to.

I do not think it is in your best interest to marry this person.

irah007

Thank u sister, for being blunt. Ur right that we control our own behaviour n the nicotine patch is an easy solution. I will strictly disallow my children to smoke. If there is a will, there is a way. I hate smokers yet I fall in love with him. I won't force him but I will do my best to improve himself. and i will also research more on addiction not being permitted in islam.

Thank u again.