Smoking

zinirah

I have a good friend, she is muslim, but she is secretly smoking something in her parents home without them knowing. I am the only one that knows, but i want her to stop this act. I tried many things to tell her it's not good, but she constantly says ooh its ok its ok.She said it relaxed her. Many have told me to tell her parents, but is it my buisness to do that? What do you think?

suhayb08

2moro mite neva be..
Think about the consequences, if her parents know about this, they are not gona b happy about it, and therefore pressure her to stop, then she's gona be more stressed and as you said smoking relaxes her, she's gona go more towards smoking.
Once addicted to smoking, its not easy to quit, so try to find some good reason, and ask her to find something elz to do to replace the smoking; another avtivity which she can do to relax.
Tke cre Asslamwakm.

ShyHijabi

Tell her it yellows your teeth, ages you horrendously, makes you stink, and ruins your skin. This isn't just empty words it really does happen. Tell her jogging will decrease her stress and basically make her overall appearance and health improve.

rightpath_357

DO:
Tell her it makes her ugly- and why it's haram.
Make du'aa for her and tell her to read\listen to Qur'an instead of smoking. Find her a hobby. Make her go outside with you and do what you want to\having fun\walking in the park....

Smack the cigar out of her hand every time she takes it out:D

But most important- ask her why she's REALLY doing it- are there problems in her family, stress,etc.

DON'T :
-back out o her- if she IS going through something hard- she needs you.
-be pressured into smoking yourself; stay persistant in your belief

And sis- if it starts to get really serious, tell her parents. They should know about it- and it'll mke it a lot easier for her to be encouraged to quit.

May Allah help her. Ameen. :hearts:

(p.s.- maybe get her packets of gum to chew on when she feels like smoking- tofee- whatever)

Salam!!!!!!:D

zinirah

Yes i did all of these things, and told her why it's not good, I didn't just say "You shouldnt do that", but i went through the whole thing. I am very concerned, she even trades and sells the drug! One time i was with her and she took me with her to go on drug trade..i was in the car, and i did not know what was going on i thought we were just going to the store...so ever since this day i have told her to watch it sis you have a big reality check coming your way....I did ask her why she is doing it and she said because she is stressed, and it makes her feel good, but nothing else...it's not a good enough reason and the only reason she is stressed in my opinion is because she is too striaght up blunt with people and when they get in her face she is always yelling all the time. She is western pakistani girl, but she wears hijab.
So i think i should tell her parents, because i know her father wont have this if he knew.

ShyHijabi

Hmmm...this doesn't sound like ciggarettes but marijuana. Wearing hijab kind of loses it's meaning if she is dealing in illegal drugs and also partaking of them.

Is it harm to smoke weed (Marijuana) occasionally especially when stressed out?.

Praise be to Allaah.

Hasheesh of all types is haraam, whether it is marijuana or any other type.

Al-‘Allaamah Ibn Hajar al-Haythami said in al-Fataawa al-Fiqhiyyah (4/233), speaking of hasheeh:

The evidence for its being forbidden is the report narrated by Ahmad in his Musnad and by Abu Dawood in his Sunan with a saheeh isnaad from Umm Salamah (may Allaah be pleased with him) who said: The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) forbade all kinds of intoxicants and relaxants. The scholars said that relaxants are things that cause drowsiness and languor in the limbs. This hadeeth indicates that hasheesh in particular is haraam, because it intoxicates and relaxes, which is why those who consume it sleep a great deal. Al-Qaraafi and Ibn Taymiyah narrated that there is scholarly consensus that it is haraam and said: The one who regards it as permissible is a kaafir. He said: The only reason why the four imams (may Allaah have mercy on them) did not speak of it is that it was not known at their time, rather it only appeared at the end of the sixth century AH and the beginning of the seventh century when the Tatar state emerged. End quote.

Shaykh al-Islam Ibn Taymiyah (may Allaah have mercy on him) said in al-Fataawa al-Kubra (3/425): Consuming this hasheesh in solid form is haraam, and it is one of the most evil of haraam plants, whether a little of it is consumed or a lot. End quote.

Consuming intoxicants is haraam regardless of the way in which they are consumed.

Al-‘Allaamah Ibn Qaasim al-Shaafa’i said: What is meant by the drinker is the consumer, whether it is drunk or consumed otherwise, whether there is consensus on its being forbidden or there is a difference of opinion concerning that, and whether it is solid or liquid, cooked or raw. End quote.

Sharee’ah only forbids the consumption of drugs and intoxicants because of the great harm that they cause to the mind, soul, family and society. We have discussed some of these harmful effects in the answer to question no. 66227.

As for stress and anxiety, you may rest assured that the remedy for them is not to be found in smoking hasheesh or any other haraam thing. Allaah has not put the remedy of this ummah in that which He has forbidden to it. In Saheeh Muslim (3670) it says that asked the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) about alcohol and he forbade him or told him not to make it. He said: “But I make it as a remedy.” He said: “It is not a remedy, it is a disease.”

If you want to rid yourself of anxiety, then we advise you to do several things, including the following:

1- Pray a great deal for forgiveness with proper presence of mind.

2- Do wudoo’ and pray, for these are the greatest means of helping oneself to be patient in dealing with hardship and dispelling worry.

3- Remember Allaah a great deal (dhikr), because this is a sure way to attain peace of mind and tranquillity.

4- Send a great deal of blessings upon the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him). In Sunan al-Tirmidhi (2381) it is narrated that Ubayy (may Allaah be pleased with him) said: I said: O Messenger of Allaah, I send a great deal of blessings upon you. How much of my du’aa’ should I make for you? He said: “Whatever you wish.” I said: One-quarter? He said: “Whatever you wish, but if you do more it will be better for you.” I said: One half? He said: “Whatever you wish, but if you do more it will be better for you.” I said: Two-thirds? He said: “Whatever you wish, but if you do more it will be better for you.” I said: I will make all my du’aa’ for you. He said: “Then your worries will be taken care of and your sins will be forgiven.” Classed as hasan by al-Albaani in Saheeh Sunan al-Tirmidhi.

This is in addition to avoiding the causes of stress and anxiety as much as possible. If the source of this anxiety and stress is worry about the future, such as how you will learn a living and so on, then you must think in positive terms of Allaah and sincerely put your trust in Him. Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“And whosoever puts his trust in Allaah, then He will suffice him. Verily, Allaah will accomplish his purpose. Indeed Allaah has set a measure for all things”

[al-Talaaq 65:3]

May Allaah help us and you to do all good.

Islam Q&A

Al-Kashmiri

Staff member
Hmmm...this doesn't sound like ciggarettes but marijuana. Wearing hijab kind of loses it's meaning if she is dealing in illegal drugs and also partaking of them.

As-salaamu `alaykum

I second that.

Drug dealing can warrant death under shari`ah (obviously, taking into consideration all circumstances). If you say that, maybe she'll realise it's a bit more serious than she thinks it is.

xSharingan01x

TraVeLer
Tell her it yellows your teeth, ages you horrendously, makes you stink, and ruins your skin. This isn't just empty words it really does happen. Tell her jogging will decrease her stress and basically make her overall appearance and health improve.

:salam2:

You're absolutely right

:wasalam:

Elise

Sounds like she needs an intervention... I think you should tell her parents. If she doesn't want to or cannot stop on her own or with your encouragement, maybe she'll listen when her own family tries to reason with her... Like stated above, it's illegal, both in shari'a and common law.
Here you have imams who'll help with personal problems like this. The family can go to him for help and then maybe talk to her with the imam present (preferably the imam of her own mosque or masjid, so she knows him and can trust him more fully than one she doesn't know).
Hope she can find the right path in the end.