Some substitutes of alcohol in food recipes

sister herb

Official TTI Chef
When in recipe is mentioned that you should use some alcohol, these are the most common substitutes you can use instead:

Beer or ale: for light ale use chicken broth or white grape juice, for darker ales use beef broth or mushroom stock. In a batter recipe replace beer with soda water.

Red wine: chicken or beef broth, grape juice mixed with a water or tomato juice.

Amaretto: almond extract

Brandy: use fruit juice with corresponding flavor, for example apricot juice for apricot brandy.

Orange liquor: Frozen orange juice concentrate

Sake: white grape juice with lemon zest

Sherry: orange or pineapple juice

Dry vermouth: white grape juice

Sweet vermouth: apple or grape juice

White wine: chicken broth, white grape juice mixed with a little lemon juice. Use 1 TBSP lemon juice to one-cup water or grape juice.

Sweet white wine: Same than White wine, but add a tablespoon of sugar.

Kahlua: chocolate extract mixed with espresso powder, coffee syrup or coffee extract

Bourbon: vanilla extract

Rum: non-alcohol rum flavoring or pineapple juice

Frangelico: hazelnut or almond extract

Hard cider: apple juice, sparkling apple juice

Champagne: sparkling grape juice

queenislam

★★★I LOVE ALLAH★★★
:salam2:

Consuming Alcohol in islam is haram
we do need subtitute for recipe/s that had them include.

Good sharing.
Thank you for posting this here
sister.

~Wassalam :)

sister herb

Official TTI Chef
Some information about vinegar - what also might use as substitute:

http://www.islamawareness.net/Alcohol/fatwa_vinegar001.html

and http://islamqa.info/en/ref/2283

"Vinegar is a well known basic foodstuff, made from wine of which the composition has changed so that it is no longer sweet but is acidic or sour.

Jaabir (may Allaah be pleased with him) reported that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “What a good food is vinegar.” (Reported by Muslim, 3/1623)

When wine turns to vinegar by itself, without any deliberate treatment needed for it to be changed, it is permissible to eat, drink and handle it, according to the consensus of the scholars, because of the hadeeth quoted above.

But if the wine has become vinegar because of deliberate treatment, by adding vinegar, onions, salt etc., or by any other process, in this case the scholars (may Allaah have mercy on them) differ as to whether it is permissible."

sister herb

Official TTI Chef
Distilled white vinegar, apple cider vinegar, malt vinegar, corn (Maize) sugar vinegar are considered Halal. Wine Vinegar and Balsamic vinegar are not considered Halal because of left over of wine in wine vinegar and high content sugar containing grape in Italy which in turn provide more alcohol is available to convert it to vinegar.

http://www.muslimconsumergroup.com/faq.html

If you are unsure about vinegar, then better leave it and use for example soy sauce, olive oil or some spicies - depending the food what you are cooking.

hayat84

I'm not what you believe
thank you very much sister,I don't want to risk too much,but I suppose that you're a good cook!