someone please give me a good answer

HirraJaved

Why can't a muslim woman marry a christian man but a muslim man can marry a christian woman? This doesn't make any sense I thought that there was justice an equality in Islam but it doesn't look like it. If anyone can explain this I would be really grateful.

This is as same as wy. A muslim man can have four wives but why woman cant have more than one husband?
I was to ask about the verse of surah maida which allow muslim man to marry a christan and ahle kitaab bt in surah baqra its prohibited to marry any mushriq? But this week imam was absent... In sha allah I will ask him next week? But I hope someone of knowlege will repl yu in shq allah

There is nothing illogical in islam...there must havebeen. Great resons behind this... But I dont kno yet ?
For yu sister alhamdulillah yu ar muslim... A mulim or muslimah does not need any logic or sense behind every commandment of Allah to start following :) we must know logics behnd order o allah but only to explain kuffars...but for us who have imaan we must fully ccept the oder of Allah the moment we listen to it

MehmetHilmi

I've always wondered this too. Nothing in Islam is illogical. There is logic behind every commandment. So this ruling has to have a reason behind it. And it's good that you are questioning these things. Some people get the idea that everything must be followed without question but that isn't right since humans are naturally inquisitive and curious creatures. And suppressing our curiosity would in fact harm us.

This article seems to explain the issue a little.

http://www.questionsonislam.com/article/why-cant-muslim-woman-marry-non-muslim-man

Last edited:

beelkeesou

A woman is soft hearted she can be easily turned and when she gives birth she gives birth to the husband's family. Allah knows best

Izache_Corzo

I think it's because a man is the foundation of his family. He leads and provides for his family. He leads in prayer. There's probably more to it than just that, but that's a pretty good start. When I decided to become Muslim, I explained to my husband that I was told, that if he didn't become Muslim too then I couldn't remain with him. A very short time later he took shahada too. That's not the only reason he became Muslim though. I had already been speaking to him about what I was learning and he saw the truth in it. Later, I lost my way and he didn't say anything; he stopped practicing too. Alhamdulillah, after that, I went through some pretty tough things and that brought me back to the religion. Allah SWT is not playing when he says He will give the unbelievers a severe chastisement. When I told him that I had made a big mistake and was returning to Islam he admitted to me that he felt uncomfortable about us leaving Islam in the first place, but he didn't say anything. He told me inside he never really stopped believing in Allah. Astaghfirullah. =/ I felt real bad for the things I did after leaving Islam. Especially because I had messed up in the past and when I became muslim I was doing really good. So when I left Islam it's like I went crazy. #JustSharingMyExperience

Izache_Corzo

Also be careful with saying there is no justice and equality in Islam because it's almost like equating that statement with Allah, and believe me, you don't want to go there. If you really study Islam you will see justice and equality written all over it. Some things just have their place and there's wisdom to all of Allah's commandments. Beware, sis...you don't want to make that mistake. :agreed:

http://turntoislam.com/blog/208/are-muslim-women-oppressed/

Last edited:

Signor

Allowing a Muslim man to marry a Christian or a Jewish woman, is an exceptional rule applied under special circumstances. And when a Muslim man marries a Christian or a Jewish woman, there is no problem, because he believes in all prophets, and all holy books. There will be no problem between him and his wife in this matter, especially that his religion -Islam- commands him to be fair with his wife even if she were Christian or Jewish. And any Muslim man going through such marriage should have strong belief in his faith, and should strongly abide by his religion.

The reason for forbidding a Muslim woman from marrying a non-Muslim, is that a Christian or a Jewish man believes only in his prophet, and doesn’t believe in prophet Mohamed Salla Allah Allih Wa Salam or any of the other prophets (blessing be upon them).

For example, when this Muslim woman, tries to teach her kids to love and respect all prophets and believe in all of them, her non-Muslim husband will not agree, because he believes only in his prophet. He will interfere in the way she raises her kids, and prevents her from raising them in an Islamic way. And here comes the real problem, because she will have only two options, whether she leaves the whole thing as it is, and does nothing about it -which will be an insult to her religion- or she argues about the matter, and this will sure lead to more marital problems.

On the other hand, there will be no such problems between a Muslim husband, and a non Muslim wife, because if this wife tried to teach her kids to love and believe in her prophet, her Muslim husband will not refuse that because he already believes in her prophet and all prophets. This is why Islam allows the marriage between Muslim man and non-Muslim woman, and forbids the marriage between Muslim woman, and non-Muslim man.

You can read more on

http://www.islamawareness.net/Marriage/fatwa_08.html
http://www.onislam.net/english/ask-...is-not-allowed-to-marry-a-non-muslim-man.html
http://www.onislam.net/english/ask-...6347-a-muslim-man-and-a-non-muslim-woman.html

HirraJaved

I've always wondered this too. Nothing in Islam is illogical. There is logic behind every commandment. So this ruling has to have a reason behind it. And it's good that you are questioning these things. Some people get the idea that everything must be followed without question but that isn't right since humans are naturally inquisitive and curious creatures. And suppressing our curiosity would in fact harm us.

This article seems to explain the issue a little.

http://www.questionsonislam.com/article/why-cant-muslim-woman-marry-non-muslim-man
Wow thank that article made so much sense

queenislam

★★★I LOVE ALLAH★★★
Why can't a muslim woman marry a christian man but a muslim man can marry a christian woman? This doesn't make any sense I thought that there was justice an equality in Islam but it doesn't look like it. If anyone can explain this I would be really grateful.[/quote

:bismillah:
:salam:

A muslim (man or woman) can't marry others but among muslim only!
In some case that a muslim wish to marry a non muslim (man or woman)
the non muslim should convert to Islam.

FAIL to do so, the couple is considered an illegal married
and has commit into zina (adultery) in Islam.

Those who did not aware of this process is advice to report to their Islamic council to adjust their status @to convert their non muslim spouse into Islam and follow up Islamic rites of legal married.

14_7.png

meaning:
And [remember] when your God proclaimed, 'If you are grateful, I will surely increase you [in favor]; but if you deny, indeed, My punishment is severe.' "

~Holy Qur'an Surah Ibrahim 14:7

~May Allah swt help,protect and guide all muslims~Amin!

Take care,
~Wassalam :)

Last edited:

MehmetHilmi

A muslim (man or woman) can't marry others but among muslim only!
In some case that a muslim wish to marry a non muslim (man or woman)
the non muslim should convert to Islam.

FAIL to do so, the couple is considered an illegal married
and has commit into zina (adultery) in Islam.

Those who did not aware of this process is advice to report to their Islamic council to adjust their status @to convert their non muslim spouse into Islam and follow up Islamic rites of legal married.

Aelykum Selam Sister,

The Qur'an does say otherwise. Men are allowed to marry females from the people of the book. My uncle is married to a Christian lady, but their kids are Muslim. He is not committing zina, because they were properly married with witnesses. I think that your assertion is pretty strong. You are basically stating that everyone who has not married according to Islamic customs is committing zina. Can you please provide solid evidence for your claim? Thank you.

queenislam

★★★I LOVE ALLAH★★★
Aelykum Selam Sister,

The Qur'an does say otherwise. Men are allowed to marry females from the people of the book. My uncle is married to a Christian lady, but their kids are Muslim. He is not committing zina, because they were properly married with witnesses. I think that your assertion is pretty strong. You are basically stating that everyone who has not married according to Islamic customs is committing zina. Can you please provide solid evidence for your claim? Thank you.

Here from holy Quran stated that a muslim do not marry a mushrik nor a disbeliever.

لَّقَدْ كَفَرَ الَّذِينَ قَالُوا إِنَّ اللَّهَ هُوَ الْمَسِيحُ ابْنُ مَرْيَمَ ۚ قُلْ فَمَن يَمْلِكُ مِنَ اللَّهِ شَيْئًا إِنْ أَرَادَ أَن يُهْلِكَ الْمَسِيحَ ابْنَ مَرْيَمَ وَأُمَّهُ وَمَن فِي الْأَرْضِ جَمِيعًا ۗ وَلِلَّهِ مُلْكُ السَّمَاوَاتِ وَالْأَرْضِ وَمَا بَيْنَهُمَا ۚ يَخْلُقُ مَا يَشَاءُ ۚ وَاللَّهُ عَلَىٰ كُلِّ شَيْءٍ قَدِيرٌ

~Holy qur'an.
meaning;the above verse explained CLEARLY that MUSLIM can't marry christian BECAUSE THEY ARE KAFIR!!!

2_221.png

Meaning:
And do not marry polytheistic (kafir) women until they believe. And a believing slave woman is better than a polytheist, even though she might please you. And do not marry polytheistic (kafir) men [to your women] until they believe. And a believing slave is better than a polytheist, even though he might please you. Those invite [you] to the Fire, but Allah invites to Paradise and to forgiveness, by Allah (swt) permission. And Allah swt makes clear Allah 's verses to the people that perhaps they may remember.

~Holy qur'an~Surah Al-Baqarah 2:221

now,
dear brother which page of the holy qur'an that you read stated that ???

Last edited:

MehmetHilmi

I'm sorry it is late at night here in California andd I can barely open my eyes, but otherwise I would have posted the Quranic verse which allows Muslim men marrying women from the people of the book. Notice how the verses you quoted specifically talk about polytheists.

Honestly, I am against Muslim marriage with non-Muslims. I am even against marriage outside of one's nationality.But that's just my opinion. I was just wondering how it could be considered zina. Also does this mean that all non-Muslim couples are doing zina?

queenislam

★★★I LOVE ALLAH★★★
IMPORTANT!!!

Holy Qur'an .
During prophet Muhammad s.a.w era declaration
had been made that there is no more such group people
to be call as people of the book (people that follow the taurah) after the coming of holy qur'an because people of the book have to honour and acccept the holy qur'an the last kitabullah (book from Allah swt !!!)

so if one consider to be call people of the book now after the coming of the holy qur'an is considered kafir bacause did not honour the last kitab which is in the pillar of faith to believing in all the books of Allah swt and Fail to do so is considered a disbelieve/kafir.

SonOfAdam

Staff member
Assalamu Aleykum, mashallah what a nice discussion here.

Yes, like other said since men USUALLY (not always) are the leaders of the family so women are not aloud to marry non-Muslim men. This is not only because she may lead the woman away from Islam or not allow her to practice properly but because he may have a strong influence on the children as well. I think you found plenty of good answers. There are countless more reasons, but the above should be enough to show you the hikmah behind this.

Well as far as the 4 wives for men, but only 1 for women there are many good reasons as well. Women population is almost always more then men, so to allow all these women to have a spouse and society to be protected from things like fornication, Allah said to "Marry 2, 3, or 4, but if you feel you cannot treat them all justly to only marry 1". Islam is the only religion that has this statement, "marry 1". No other religion puts a limit on how many you can marry either like this. And prior to this the Arabs had unlimited wives and those that had more than 4 had to give them up. So it was not meant as a way to allow men to get more, but a way to curb how many they can take! I am sure many men at that time were not too happy about this, but they submitted to Allah's will and gave up those wives. Aside from that if you have one women marry many men then you also have the problem of males fighting (killing each other or being very violent) to be the top husband, due to their competitive nature, and you also have the problem of who is the father of the baby.... you'd need a DNA test after each birth and how many places in the world have easy access to DNA tests, that only existed in modern times. You also have the problem of other men killing the other babies, yeah this is not just myth, even the Sultans of the Ottoman empire would go kill many of their brothers for power... sad but true.

So Allah has given us a beautiful religion that covers all of time and every situation. If there is a war and all the men die then the remaining men can have up to 4 wives and each wife can have many children etc. and also fill that inner need to love someone inshallah....

I can go on and on, it is a nice topic.... You really see the beauty and hikmah of Allah and how perfect our religion is. However I don't think the religion is based on logic, although it is mostly all logical and fits in your mind, it is based on submitting yourself to Allah SWT. So inshallah you should get to the point in your iman when you see a commandment and are able to follow it without questioning it at all since you know it comes from your Lord, elhamdulillah. Not only that but you would love to implement and can't wait to do and follow it.
And who will turn away from the religion of Ibrahim (Abraham), except he who befools himself. Verily, We chose and purified him in this world, and in the hereafter he will be among the righteous. When his Lord said to him: “Submit”; he replied: “I submit to the Lord of the Worlds.” And Ibrahim left this very legacy to his sons. And so did Yaquob (Jacob), saying: “O my sons, indeed Allah has chosen this religion for you; so let not death overtake you except in the state of complete submission (to Allah’s will).” [Quran 2:130-132]

It is related from Sayyidina Ali :
If the matter of Deen was established from logic, I would make it necessary to make Masah of the bottom of the leather sock, however, I saw the Prophet make Masah on the upper part of the leather socks. [Sunan Abu Dawood #162]

Think if Allah SWT made Ibrahim A.S. kill his first son Ismael, we would all be killing our first son. Elhamdulillah, Allah made things easy for us, that would be a great test of faith. Don't forget this life is just a big test to see which of us is the best in deeds.

It is good to ask questions inshallah like this, but try to do it in soft and respectful way as to be asking genuinely and not to sound as if you are doubting the religion and possibly cause fitnah.

May Allah bless us all and give us the correct understanding.

And don't forget men can marry a Christian or Jew, but it is highly recommended to marry a Muslim (for same reasons you fear a woman marry a Christian or Jew). And as far as the marriage to more than one wife, considering 2 billion Muslims out there, how many really have a second, third and fourth wife? So we must not worry about things that are not even relating to our lives- most of us. Alhamdulillah, Allah gives us the flexibility though to easily live our lives, for example a Muslim falls in love with a Christian woman, it is better he marries her than leave the religion for her or if a Muslim man and wife can't have kids or something, taking on a wife then would make sense as well and make their lives much easier... But if you ask the sisters they may say different. :)

It is lawful by Allah Almighty for Muslim men to marry only Jewish or Christian women, but not lawful for Muslim women to marry non Muslim men of any faith. In this article we will see the wisdom behind it.

Let us look at Noble Verse 5:5 "This day are (all) things good and pure made lawful unto you. The food of the People of the Book [Jews and Christians] is lawful unto you and yours is lawful unto them. (Lawful unto you in marriage) are (not only) chaste women who are believers, but chaste women among the People of the Book, revealed before your time,- when ye give them their due dowers, and desire chastity, not lewdness, nor secret intrigues if any one rejects faith, fruitless is his work, and in the Hereafter he will be in the ranks of those who have lost (all spiritual good)."

Let us look at Noble Verse 2:221 "Do not marry unbelieving women (idolaters), until they believe: A slave woman who believes is better than an unbelieving woman, even though she allures you. Nor marry (your girls) to unbelievers until they believe: A man slave who believes is better than an unbeliever, even though he allures you. Unbelievers do (but) beckon you to the Fire. But God beckons by His Grace to the Garden (of bliss) and forgiveness, and makes His Signs clear to mankind: That they may celebrate His praise."

"O ye who believe! take not for friends and protectors those who take your religion for a mockery or sport,- whether among those who received the Scripture before you, or among those who reject Faith; but fear ye God, if ye have faith (indeed). (The Noble Quran, 5:57)"

"O ye who believe! When there come to you believing women refugees, examine (and test) them: God knows best as to their Faith: if ye ascertain that they are Believers, then send them not back to the Unbelievers. They are not lawful (wives) for the Unbelievers, nor are the (Unbelievers) lawful (husbands) for them. But pay the Unbelievers what they have spent (on their dower), and there will be no blame on you if ye marry them on payment of their dower to them. But hold not to the guardianship of unbelieving women: ask for what ye have spent on their dowers, and let the (Unbelievers) ask for what they have spent (on the dowers of women who come over to you). Such is the command of God: He judges (with justice) between you. And God is Full of Knowledge and Wisdom. (The Noble Quran, 60:10)"

The reason why Allah Almighty didn't allow Muslim women to marry non Muslim men including the People of the Book, is because women especially in the Middle East 1400 years ago used to culturally follow their husbands' traditions/religions.

Arabs used to be idol worshipers, and they had different methods of idol worshiping depending on the tribe. When a woman marries a man from a tribe, then she is EXPECTED to follow his and his family's method of worship. So automatically, she would become part of them.

So when a Muslim woman marries a non Muslim man, she would be EXPECTED to follow his religion. This would also mean that the children that she will bring to life will also be non Muslims. So this is very serious in Islam.

That is why Allah Almighty prohibited for Muslim women to marry non Muslim men. As for Muslim men, from the non Muslim women, they are not allowed to marry any of them except from the People of the Book.

I as a Muslim am not allowed to marry a Hindu woman for instance according to the Laws of the Noble Quran. But I can however marry a Jewish woman for instance.

Islam is not exclusive. Social intercourse, including inter-marriage, is permitted with the People of the Book. A Muslim man may marry a woman from their ranks on the same terms as he would marry a Muslim woman, i.e., he must give her an economic and moral status, and must not be actuated merely by motives of lust or physical desire. A Muslim woman may not marry a non-Muslim man, because her Muslim status would be affected: the wife ordinarily takes the nationality and status given by her husband's law (especially in the Middle Eastern culture among the Arab pagans 1400 years ago). A non-Muslim woman marrying a Muslim husband would be expected eventually to accept Islam. Any man or woman, of any race or faith, may, on accepting Islam, freely marry any Muslim woman or man, provided it be from motives of purity and chastity and not of lewdness. Muslim men are prohibited to marry pagan women. Only women from the People of the Book (Jews and Christians) are ok to marry from.

Important Note: If we are not allowed to take the non-believers as friends and protectors, do you think we should consider marrying from them?

cabdixakim

Why can't a muslim woman marry a christian man but a muslim man can marry a christian woman? This doesn't make any sense I thought that there was justice an equality in Islam but it doesn't look like it. If anyone can explain this I would be really grateful.

The reply is to some understanding clear but before that you should ask "what is the main objective of Islamic marriage?"
to some extent the Quran explains itself,what is not there in a particular verse may be in another.
if you read the Quran chapter4 verse 34,Allah says that " man are Guardians over women becouse Allah has made some of them in particular things excel over others and becouse they(men)spend of their wealth..............."
now let's completely read the verse that allows man to marry a woman from the people of the book(not just any non-muslim).chapter 5 verse 5 "this day all good things are made lawful to you.And the food of those who have been given the book is lawful to you.And so are the chaste from among the believing woman and the chaste from among those who have been given the book before you,when you give them their dowries,taking them in marriage,not fornicating not taking them for paramours in secret.And whoever denies faith,his work indeed is vain and in the Hereafter he is of the losers."
any social belief will agree that the man is the head of house and among his functions is to assimilate his bachground beliefs to those under him this time being the wife and children.
now if you carefully read at the end of that verse you can say that among the very many reasons is to actually protect the woman,prevent from that chance of denying faith and being among the losers in the Hereafter.
for a man he can't be just any man he should now the fundemantal beliefs of Islam he should now how to protect his wife and have the intention of bringing her closer to Islam or else he should as well be vulnerable to change his faith and be among the losers in the Hereafter.

Last edited by a moderator:
When Leopold Weiss (Muhammad Asad) asked a bedouin the same question "Why can't a muslim woman marry a Christian/Jewish man but a muslim man can marry a Christian/Jewish woman?" He replied that Our prophet allowed to marry Christian/Jewish women by respecting their freedom of faith and to practice it. Since we Muslim follow the word of our Prophet we ensure that freedom while you people can't ensure the same freedom of faith of others.

Um Ibrahim

Alhamdulilah :)
This topic is kinda confusing for many people. I heard from Dr. Zakir Naik say that Muslum men are actually not allowed to marry christian and jewish women because he said that they fall under the mushrikeen. Cheristians as we all kNow. Believe and worship Prophet Isa. They say that God is three parts. This makes them mushriskeen. In his opinion anyway. I will look for the video but he explained it totally different from how most muslims believe.