speaking in tongues

nyerekareem

abdur-rahman
hello :)
is there anything in the Qu'ran about speaking in tongues?? does this phenomenon exist??
:ma:

:salam2:

i don't ever remember reading anything in the quran that mentions speaking in tongues. it could be there, but i never realized it, i don't know. i know that tongues is a major theme in the pentecostal branch of christianity. at one time in my life i had strayed from islam and began attending a pentecostal church and i would speak in tongues, really because everyone else was doing it. i knew that i was just shouting out jibberish and i also knew that the pastor was speaking jibberish too. because it was always the same jibberish. it's really about trying to acheive a state of ecstacy in worship and believing that it's the holy spirit coming through you. it's really a big act, but the people really want to believe in it. i wouldn't rule out tongues if a person had been possessed by jinn.
:wasalam:

cmelbouzaidi

Assalamu alaikom

Dear Brother, Thanks for the post. I agree with you that if there is "speaking in tongues" it comes from the jinn. I have heard about this "speaking in tongues" in churches in the south of USA also and always wondered what that was about. I wondered if they were speaking a legitimate language like Hebrew or Aramaic or something.... Sad that it is a big act but I figured as much. Even sadder when they know some church members' innermost desires or fears and a "message" comes out through the jibberish. Anyway, Alhamdulillah, Islam is a religion of logic :)

Jazak Allahu Khair.

Wassalam