Star Pastries from Finland

sister herb

Official TTI Chef
Plums are often part of traditional Finnish sweets such as joulutortut, flaky pastries filled with plum jam.
For a quicker and easier version, use good-quality frozen puff pastry instead of making your own.

joulutortut.jpg

Ingredients
250 g (9 oz.) butter
250 g (9 oz.) flour
150 ml (10 tbsp.) cold water
200 ml (7 oz.) plum jam for the filling
1 egg yolk

Method
Place the sifted flour on a work surface; make a well in the centre; add the butter and blend it in roughly with your fingers, leaving the butter in fairly large pieces; quickly mix in the cold water to form the dough; let rest for an hour or two in a cool place;

flour the work surface; with a rolling pin, roll the dough out into a large even square about 5 mm (1/4") thick; fold in three like a letter;

roll the dough out in the opposite direction; repeat the folding and rolling process several times to create the puff pastry; let rest in a cool place;

roll out into an even square about 5 mm (1/4" thick); cut into 8 cm squares; make a cut from each corner about half way to the centre; place a little of the prune or plum filling in the centre and fold every second section into the centre to form a windmill shape;

torttu1.gif
torttu2.gif
torttu3.gif
torttu4.gif
torttu5.gif

brush with egg yolk; place the pastries on a buttered baking sheet and bake in a preheated oven (220° C or 425° F) for 18-20 minutes until the pastry is puffed and golden.

UmmOf3

Salaam aleikum

I remember these from my childhood.

I think I will make it in the weekend, so my kids can know parts of their herritage hehe.