Status of Hagia Sophia?

tolgatemur

Hagia Sophia was important church in Christianity, then when Istanbul was captured, She was convert to mosque by Fatih Sultan Mehmed II.

She is important monument for both christians and both muslims. Today her status is museum as an universal value of mankind.

Do you think is it good idea to use the monument as both a church both a mosque?

hagia_sophia.jpg

Seeking Allah's Mercy

Qul HuwaAllahu Ahud!
:wasalam:wa rahmatullahi wa barakatuhu...

mashallah it's such a beautiful building:)!!

as for the Question,whether it should be a mosque and church both then ,NOPe!!

if it's only the mosque then it's more reliable as in a mosque christians and jews are allowed to worship their ways(if i'm wrong,correction is appreciated)as the prophet:saw:let some ppl do so in masjid un nabawi:)!!

i don't think the place can be a church and ring bells and be a place for muslims to give adhan before or after the bells and pray:)

ahmed_indian

to Allah we belong
:wasalam:,

once converted to mosque, it should remain mosque only.

mosque at one side and church on the other? its the idea of *secular* people.

how can you say that Allah is One and Allah has a son at the same time. :astag:

saima abdullah

my life iz 4 Allah
there is another such musjid....like this which is jamiya musjid with alhamra in qartaba ...
spain ...but it is closed by the Christians they converted this musjid in to church ..
Iqbal wrote a poem on this musjid,,,and sister seeking Allah's.....
he S.A.W only let group of ppl from of Najran to stay in musjid so they can observe the Islamic lifestyle .....
wsalam

tolgatemur

i don't think the place can be a church and ring bells and be a place for muslims to give adhan before or after the bells and pray:)

Why not Seeking?

:wasalam:,

once converted to mosque, it should remain mosque only.

mosque at one side and church on the other? its the idea of *secular* people.

how can you say that Allah is One and Allah has a son at the same time. :astag:

But Ahmed,
Of course no one will say Allah is the one and has a son at the same time. Imam will say Allah is the one, priest will say Allah has a son... It is matter of sharing the same building, which is not practically impossible.

Hagia Sophia is already have two character. She is both church and both mosque.

tolgatemur

there is another such musjid....like this which is jamiya musjid with alhamra in qartaba ...
spain ...but it is closed by the Christians they converted this musjid in to church ..
Iqbal wrote a poem on this musjid,,,and sister seeking Allah's.....
he S.A.W only let group of ppl from of Najran to stay in musjid so they can observe the Islamic lifestyle .....
wsalam

As far as I understand they allowed using the converted mosque for muslims?

sister herb

Official TTI Chef
:salam2:

For me Hagia Sofia is only mosque. Not church or synagogue. If christians or jews like to go to pray they can go to some other places.

In Palestine they right now try to claim Al-Aqsa is synagogue and claim they have right to pray in there.

:astag:

tolgatemur

For me Hagia Sofia is only mosque. Not church or synagogue. If christians or jews like to go to pray they can go to some other places.

In Palestine they right now try to claim Al-Aqsa is synagogue and claim they have right to pray in there.

:astag:

Sister harb,

The fact is that the monument is Church for christians, Mosque for muslims, and it has nothing to do with jews.

Also, the monument is not a Church nor Mosque, but a museum.

ShahnazZ

Striving2BeAStranger

According to my understanding, it's neither. It used to be a church during Byzantine rule and afterwards, during Ottoman rule it was converted into a masjid. However, today I believe that prayers aren't held there and it's simply a museum.

Either way, formal prayers aren't held there for either denomination. At least thats what I was taught.