Stoning, what is it's position in Islam?

Sophie29

Iran often gains particular coverage for it's regular use of stoning as a mode of execution.

What is the scholarly view on this?. I had been told that the prophet, p.b.u.h. opposed such?.

I'd appreciate information.

Thanks
S

Salem9022

Iran is not a Muslim country, it's a Shi3a country so please don't use Iran as an example. None of us here are Shi3a nor do we promote Iran or the Shi3a religion.

naquan20

yo

im sure someone here can explain it for you inshallah....

brother(salem 9022) you dont have to be so harsh sayin dat...lol..

salamu alakuim

ShahnazZ

Striving2BeAStranger
Iran often gains particular coverage for it's regular use of stoning as a mode of execution.

What is the scholarly view on this?. I had been told that the prophet, p.b.u.h. opposed such?.

I'd appreciate information.

Thanks
S

From what I know, in Islam, stoning is done to punish the adulters and those that commit zina.

Praise be to Allaah.

It is essential to stone the married adulterer until he dies, following the Sunnah of the Messenger (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him), as it is proven that he said that, did it and enjoined it. The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) stoned Maa’iz, the Juhani woman, the Ghaamidi woman, and the two Jews. All of that is proven in saheeh ahaadeeth narrated from the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him). The scholars among the Sahaabah (may Allaah be pleased with them), the Taabi’een and those who came after them are also unanimously agreed on that. No one differed from them apart from those to whose views no attention is to be paid. Al-Bukhaari and Muslim narrated in their Saheehs from Ibn ‘Abbaas (may Allaah be pleased with him) that ‘Umar (may Allaah be pleased with him) said: “Allaah sent Muhammad (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) with the truth and revealed to him the Book, and one of the things that Allaah revealed was the verse of stoning. We have read it and understood it. The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) stoned (adulterers) and we stoned (them) after him, but I fear that there may come a time when some people say: ‘By Allaah, we do not find the verse of stoning in the Book of Allaah.’ So they will go astray by forsaking an obligation that Allaah has revealed. According to the Book of Allaah, stoning is deserved by the one who commits zina, if he is married, men and women alike, if proof is established or the woman becomes pregnant or they confess…”

Iran is not a Muslim country, it's a Shi3a country so please don't use Iran as an example. None of us here are Shi3a nor do we promote Iran or the Shi3a religion.

Brother, you've been quite vocal about this belief of yours and I recall you posting an actual thread on it. However, as I said before and will say again, do NOT claim takfeer on those that recite the Kalimah. I do not believe that anyone has the right to decide who is a true Muslim and who isn't, let alone if they're Muslim at all. Shiite or Sunni as long as they believe Allah to be the One God and Muhammad SAW to be His Prophet, that's IT. Please don't declare anyone who states this to be anything otherwise. And like I said before, I agree that Shiism is a deviated sect BUT I do what I can for MYSELF and I leave the judging to Allah. It's not my time and place because if I spend all my time doing so then there will be none left for MYSELF and THAT is what matters because in Islam, you do what you can to save YOURSELF. So do yourself a favor brother and dont spend your energy on this. Spend it on yourself like we all should inshAllah.

amirah80

*Fear Allah*
From what I know, in Islam, stoning is done to punish the adulters and those that commit zina.

Praise be to Allaah.

It is essential to stone the married adulterer until he dies, following the Sunnah of the Messenger (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him), as it is proven that he said that, did it and enjoined it. The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) stoned Maa’iz, the Juhani woman, the Ghaamidi woman, and the two Jews. All of that is proven in saheeh ahaadeeth narrated from the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him). The scholars among the Sahaabah (may Allaah be pleased with them), the Taabi’een and those who came after them are also unanimously agreed on that. No one differed from them apart from those to whose views no attention is to be paid. Al-Bukhaari and Muslim narrated in their Saheehs from Ibn ‘Abbaas (may Allaah be pleased with him) that ‘Umar (may Allaah be pleased with him) said: “Allaah sent Muhammad (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) with the truth and revealed to him the Book, and one of the things that Allaah revealed was the verse of stoning. We have read it and understood it. The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) stoned (adulterers) and we stoned (them) after him, but I fear that there may come a time when some people say: ‘By Allaah, we do not find the verse of stoning in the Book of Allaah.’ So they will go astray by forsaking an obligation that Allaah has revealed. According to the Book of Allaah, stoning is deserved by the one who commits zina, if he is married, men and women alike, if proof is established or the woman becomes pregnant or they confess…”

Jazak Allah Khair for your post. I just wanted to add to it the last part to establish the proof also if 4 witness are brought forth to testify the claim of adultry.

Salam Amirah80:hearts:

Al-Kashmiri

Staff member
As-salaamu `alaykum.

Yes, we have adultery and fornication, but both fall under the term zina hence the distinguish needs to be made, so jazaakum Allaah khayran for actually clarifying that (otherwise their would've been much confusion). if you contemplate on the conditions for stoning, then one will realise how rare stoning would occur. However the Iranians do not adhere to these conditions since they reject the sunnah, hence you find unjustified stoning rife.

In regards to to brother Salem's comment, then though on the surface its a bit harsh, well in fact the Iranian leaders (like their ayaat ush-shayaateen) are in no way associated with Islaam and tawheed (not necessarily all of them), and their kufr is that of the mushrikeen (their shirk is manifest and clear). Thus, due to their condition, the country cannot be called Islamic (since having Muslims rulers is a condition for an abode of Islaam). Though this does not obligate that the people of the country are of the same condition, since you find there Shi`a who are outside of Islaam, those who are within, outright kuffaar and athiests as well as people from the sunnah. Anyway, I don't see the need to discuss this, but I thought I'd clear that up.

Salem9022

As-salaamu `alaykum.

Yes, we have adultery and fornication, but both fall under the term zina hence the distinguish needs to be made, so jazaakum Allaah khayran for actually clarifying that (otherwise their would've been much confusion). if you contemplate on the conditions for stoning, then one will realise how rare stoning would occur. However the Iranians do not adhere to these conditions since they reject the sunnah, hence you find unjustified stoning rife.

In regards to to brother Salem's comment, then though on the surface its a bit harsh, well in fact the Iranian leaders (like their ayaat ush-shayaateen) are in no way associated with Islaam and tawheed (not necessarily all of them), and their kufr is that of the mushrikeen (their shirk is manifest and clear). Thus, due to their condition, the country cannot be called Islamic (since having Muslims rulers is a condition for an abode of Islaam). Though this does not obligate that the people of the country are of the same condition, since you find there Shi`a who are outside of Islaam, those who are within, outright kuffaar and athiests as well as people from the sunnah. Anyway, I don't see the need to discuss this, but I thought I'd clear that up.

Thats what I meant to say :D, sorry I was in a rush and I saw the word Iran, and it really bothered me since this is an Islamic forum and Iran shouldn't be associated with the words "Islamic" or even "Muslim"

Islam!!yay

Praise be to Allaah.

It is essential to stone the married adulterer until he dies, following the Sunnah of the Messenger (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him), as it is proven that he said that, did it and enjoined it. The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) stoned Maa’iz, the Juhani woman, the Ghaamidi woman, and the two Jews. All of that is proven in saheeh ahaadeeth narrated from the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him). The scholars among the Sahaabah (may Allaah be pleased with them), the Taabi’een and those who came after them are also unanimously agreed on that. No one differed from them apart from those to whose views no attention is to be paid. Al-Bukhaari and Muslim narrated in their Saheehs from Ibn ‘Abbaas (may Allaah be pleased with him) that ‘Umar (may Allaah be pleased with him) said: “Allaah sent Muhammad (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) with the truth and revealed to him the Book, and one of the things that Allaah revealed was the verse of stoning. We have read it and understood it. The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) stoned (adulterers) and we stoned (them) after him, but I fear that there may come a time when some people say: ‘By Allaah, we do not find the verse of stoning in the Book of Allaah.’ So they will go astray by forsaking an obligation that Allaah has revealed. According to the Book of Allaah, stoning is deserved by the one who commits zina, if he is married, men and women alike, if proof is established or the woman becomes pregnant or they confess…” .

I dont believe the prophet (PBUH)said that . The quran said that he was a man of compassion and mercy

Al-Kashmiri

Staff member
As-salaamu `alaykum.

Do you deny something that Imam's Al-Bukhari and Muslim agreed upon? If you do, then to be honest I would pay attention to understanding Islaam based upon truth and not desires (or by letting pre-conceived notions get to you). The fact is, stoning is from the shari`ah (confrimed in both the book and the sunnah), and its benefits weigh out its harms, and those people who possess understanding will thus accept it.

Don't understand it wrong, the one stoned isn't to be cursed, rebuked and not buried etc. Rather if you look at the authentic ahaadeeth, the Prophet sall-Allaahu `alayhi wasallam stated regarding one women (who confessed to zina) that her repentance was equivalent to the repentance of 70 residents of Madinah! That is far more than any of us will equal.

Was-salaam

Al-Kashmiri

Staff member
As-salaamu `alaykum.

It is practiced because its benefits remain, abandoning it is sinful, whereas following the sunnah is virtuous. And replacing it with laws thinking that they are better than it (stoning) leads to disblief.

Was-salaam

Islam!!yay

But we're following some persons book which many people believe the hadiths are not one hundred percent solid true . And if we want to replace it with other practices is not disbelief . Bec we re not doing disobeying god .

I sincerely believe that any hadiths about the prophet promoting violence , we must immediately turn to the quran .

ShahnazZ

Striving2BeAStranger
But we're following some persons book which many people believe the hadiths are not one hundred percent solid true . And if we want to replace it with other practices is not disbelief . Bec we re not doing disobeying god .

I sincerely believe that any hadiths about the prophet promoting violence , we must immediately turn to the quran .

"Some person's book?...."

I'm sorry, what?

Brother, it's clear you don't believe in the validity of Ahadith and I can assure you, your words are in clear disagreement with the majority of Islamic scholars, if not all. You're basically saying that "some man" created the Ahadith and that by disobeying them we're not sinning because they were never real to begin with.

Astaghfirullah.

It's up to you whether you want to believe this or not, but Ahadith are elaborations of what was revealed to RasulAllah SAW in the Quran, who behaved and spoke EXACTLY as Allah wanted him to and was a SIGN and EXAMPLE for the rest of mankind. This is why he is considered a Mercy from Allah. Because he is an EXAMPLE for us. Otherwise, we would have NO IDEA as to how to behave in a manner that would please Allah and ultimately save us from the Fires of Hell. Therefore, his words are EXAMPLES of how we should behave. It's clear that although you may believe in him, you don't believe in those that collected his Hadith. And that is your decision. But I would like to see you practice what is in the Quran without elaboration from any Hadith. As imperfect beings we are limited in our knowledge and understanding. Thus, this Divinely Inspired and Perfect Book from GOD is WAY out of our comprehension without the Prophet SAW, elaborating on it.

And if you're going to say that you believe in the Ahadith but not the violent ones, then it's clear that you're picking and choosing what you want to believe in. Once again remember, these are not the words of MAN but the words of GOD. Argue with Him then....if you can.

And by the way, that "some person" that you refer to actually saw the Prophet SAW in a dream and was told that HE was the one who would drive away the falsehood against him (RasulAllah SAW). And I'm not sure if you know this, but ANY dream with the Prophet SAW is a dream of TRUTH and cannot be false in any way. Also, the Shaytaan can imitate ANYONE in a dream EXCEPT RasulAllah SAW. If you want details on this, I have them.

Almeftah

السلام عليكم ورحمة الله وبركاته

First of all, Iran is ruled by Shia, and as many know Shia sects abandoned the Sunnah of prophet Muhammed pease be upon him.

Stoning in Islam can only be executed on adulterers with the approval of a muslim ruler.

Some may see this as an extreme cruelty of Islam, But Muslims don't.. because whatever panishment you get for your sins in this life is NOTHING compared to that in the here after.

Achmat_Samsodien

:salam2:

The benefit of stoning adulterers is VERY SIMPLE:
1. Purify the sinner of the sin this life and save them from the fire provided they make toubah.
2. Deter other people from committing the sin again

and please remember the conditions in determining Zina. there must be 4 witnesses or the person should confess or if the person confesses to it. We cannot just go out and stone people because we "suspect" them.

The Nabie Muhammad SAW said that we will be inflicted with diseases that was not known by our forefathers, HIV/AIDS & STI'S etc. If we were to implement Shariah thoroughly under a Khalifah then we would not have the diseases we have today, Islam is the answer to ALL mankinds problems and I agree with sister Shanaaz on this brother who is going against Imaam Bukhari, Astagfirllah!
I advise this brother to study the Seerah and know that the Nabie SAW was involved in stoning and even performed the Salaatul-Janaazah on the person stoned.

You cannot take out and put in what you want in Islam, it's a packaged deal. By leaving out things according to your whims and fancies will lead you to perform acts of Kufr.

Optimist

قل هو الله أحد
Why should adultery of married people be punished by life ?

Because it can cost life. Think about it. Throughout history sexually transmitted disease were a complete disaster for humanity. Syphilis, with its congenital form that affects babies. Chlamydia, which can lead to infertility and lately HIV, which kills many people everyday, many of them are faithful spouses and children. Why should all those people bear the brunt of the sins of those adulterers ?

Think about abortion, which is directly related to the spread of immorality and adultery as people more and more want sex without consequences, which is not what Allah (glorified He maybe) intended. A country like the UK abort 1 out of every 4 pregnancies and this equal hundreds of thousands every year. No one bats an eyelid over them.

Stoning is a concept I've personally struggled with. It is a horrible way of death. Even lashes can be seen as too much when one see all the corruption around and think why should people be punished for something seen as "natural" in the eyes of many others. The Qura'an actually acknowledge the potential of this punishemnt to be seen as dispropotionate (i.e. lashes for unmarried people fornication) when it says:

The woman and the man guilty of illegal sexual intercourse, flog each of them with a hundred stripes. Let not pity withhold you in their case, in a punishment prescribed by Allâh, if you believe in Allâh and the Last Day. And let a party of the believers witness their punishment.

Qura'an 24:2

So it does tell us not to be lenient on this occasion as it has foreseen this. subhan-Allah. Allah (glorified He may be) is all wise all knowledgeable.

Allah knows best

hellbraker

I saw a video in which people some people stone the offenders till they bleed.And while they were stoning they were calling "God is great" in Arabic.The victims were tied and their whole body was buried up to the head.
I hope its not reall or does not belong to Islam.And if it does Im sorry if Im hurting anyone.