stop calling Allah "GOD"

amirah80

*Fear Allah*
Asalamu Alaikum Brothers & Sisters
As-stagfirallah
I think for a person to even let the mind conceive a thought that Allah (God) could even be associated in that way with such a thing is ridiculous. Alhumdulilah Allah created all languages and in those languages will come translation for the Quran. I prefer to say Allah but saying God should not be an Issue. We (muslims) are subservient to the same God as the christains and Jews. If this was a problem clearly Al-Khaliq (The Creator), Al-Alim (The All- Knowing) would have given us guidance in this matter. The Quran in English/Arabic uses God throughout it. Do you think Allah (God) would let us degrade him by any means? or Change what he intended it to be?

As far as using Allah when you are Muslim and know Islam saying Allah is better for you. We pray in Arabic to Allah! Even thou there is a english translation. So I think there is no wrong when you do not know the arabic termonolgy but when you do inherit the knowledge you need to use it. This will be better for you. As we know everything is not translated exactly as it is.
Ar-Rahman (The Beneficent) Ar-Rahim (The Most-Merciful):tti_sister:
And Allah Knows Best

Zaynab123

Subhana Allah!
asalamu laykum brothers and sisters
i don`t think anyone undertood my main point, if you read my original post it says call Allah god at certain times like when you are teaching someone who Allah is coz they don`t Allah. they know as god or waht they call GOD in their own language. of course everyone have their own language.

one of the replies said ALLAH means GOD, but it doesn`t. ALLAH is a NAME. when you say the shahada in Arabic we la ilaha ila ALLAH muhammadu rasululah. so ILAH means GOD let me translate it in english, there is NO GOd but ALLAh and Muhamad is his messenger so you don`t say there is no Allah but Allah in Arabic.

if you are a muslim should you say GOD when you know GOD`s name or ILAH`s name. ilah means the Deity we worship just as god means the same know that god is not a name but Allah is the name of ILAH or GOD however you want to call it.
NOTE: Allah is name just as you have a name and ILAH is GOD

cmelbouzaidi

Assalamu alaikom sister. I didn't understand the original post, sorry :) I think "Allah" means "The God" as in "Al Ilah"... (take out the I from Al Ilah and you are left with Allah... The God). This is how I was taught the origin of the word Allah which we know existed prior to Islam..... Prophet Mohammed's own father who died before our prophet, peace be upon him, was born was named Abdullah... Servant of God. Even the pagans believed in a "higher" god but their problem was polytheism.... a god for this, a god for that..... Also, just a reminder that Arab Christians refer to God as Allah in arabic too so there again proving that the word Allah is not exclusive to Islam, even though we worship in different ways and have different beliefs from others. Do you get what I mean? All the best, your sister in Islam :)

Wassalam

amirah80

*Fear Allah*
Salaam,

God is based of a Germanic word meaning "diety." Allah spelled backwards is Halla, which is a slang for yelling at someone. My point is thus, God is a perfectly good word in English to mean the Deity we worship. The scholars have not declared it haraam or makhroob and I don't think we need to add a negative connotation where there isn't any.

The 99 names of Allah are in Arabic and there are many ways to say diety in other languages...Deus(spanish), Bog (slavic), Elohim (hebrew), etc., I hardly think it fair to declare the word "God" to be a bad one because you find another word when you manipulate the letters.

Wasalaam

~Sarah

Sister Zaynab123

I understand what you said in the originaly post. What I am saying bascially agrees with ShyHijabi when it says there is a manipulation of the letters. Being you said God spelled backwards equals dog. We know that is not how it is intended to be used that is all I am saying. If someone intended such a thing I would hate the punishment they receive. But I agree with you when muslims should use arabic when possible to address Allah but not for the reason your trying to indicate in your post.

And Allah knows Best

Sister Amirah

Yusuf1990

al-Inglezi
Wa'ylaikum Salaam,

There is nothing wrong with adressing Allah as God. Allah in English is God, just the way in another languege it will be different again, here's some examples: Dios (Spanish), Dieu (French), Gott (German), Dio (Italian), Dues (Portuguese) and so on.
We should remember that Allah is the Arabic name for God, and although it is a beautiful name and has special qualities about it, it doesn't mean that calling on or referring to Allah as God is wrong in anyway.
Let us remember how our Prophet (s.a.w) told us how no Arab is better than any non Arab. Islam is universial and although we share a great understanding of each other through Arabic (greetings, prayers, etc), we must keep it open to anyone and everyone.

May Allah forgive us and continue to guide us all,
peace.

Abdul Hasib

Student of Knowledge
Salaam,
Allah spelled backwards is Halla, which is a slang for yelling at someone.

~Sarah

LoL sister, it also means Untie in Urdu :D :lol: (Untie on Mother's side of the family, like sisters or cousins. Anything else, hey, I'm not the real expert at Urdu :D).

Put a "K" infront of Halla is Khalla, ALSO a Bangladeshi word for Untie. :D :lol:

ohhockleng

one of the replies said ALLAH means GOD, but it doesn`t. ALLAH is a NAME. when you say the shahada in Arabic we la ilaha ila ALLAH muhammadu rasululah. so ILAH means GOD let me translate it in english, there is NO GOd but ALLAh and Muhamad is his messenger so you don`t say there is no Allah but Allah in Arabic.
Assalamualaikum sister, Stop being ignorant, it actually makes perfect sense when Prophet muhammad PBUH says there's is No god but THE god As he was teaching people who god is, not the idols they are worshipping.

q8penpals

Salam

For me, it is a matter of habit - 30 years of GOD versus just a few years of Allah. Also, it is a pronunciation matter too - it doesn't sound correct. There are a couple of teachers and students that I know whose names are Ala'a and when I say their name and Allah, they sound EXACTLY the same because of the lack of Arabic nuances in my pronunciation. I try, but it doesn't come naturally, and I even have difficulty hearing the difference between the two (making iti difficult to speak the difference if I can't tell what it is) although many Arabic speakers tell me that they are pronounced completely differently!

This does not mean in any way that I am attempting to call Allah by a ladies name, nor am I trying to refer to my friends and students as GOD; it is just the problem that I am not a native Arabic speaker.

Lana