Superstition or fact?

ShahnazZ

Striving2BeAStranger
:salam2:, I hope you're all in the best state of health and iman.

I would like your insight on a matter.

My mother has this belief that people should always say good and positive things about themselves and avoid uttering bad and negative things about themselves as there is a single moment in 24 hours where what a person says can come true.

For example, everytime someone in our house gets frustrated and says things out of anger, she tells us to be careful. Even if we're joking around and being sarcastic, she gets upset if we utter things like "oh I'd rather die than eat that" or "do this for me as if it were my dying wish." Things like that. I kid you not, she even used to get upset at us when we were to utter "so-and-so went to jail" while playing Monopoly as kids!

Please let me know if there is any truth to this at all and if such a moment does in fact exist. JazakAllah khair.

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam walaikum,

Sister,

When we write we are told to always keep the thought in the positive. I love the adage " Let a smile be your umbrella".

I am so glad you started this post.

Words are real. Words are our reality. Why are we told to pray. Why do we greet each other with the best of greetings? Why do we enjoy the presence of a believer.

We can change our environment by the use of words. As Muslims we are reminded to be happy.

I must be like your mother. I get scared when I hear the negative. I do not wish to conjure up any shytans.

Dorothy kept singing somewhere over the rainbow and she ended up over the rainbow...and what did she want..to come home again.

Did I make sense?

hayat84

I'm not what you believe
:salam2:
it's true,how good would it be if everybody had good thoughts,instead of getting upset.muslims should be careful about their way to talk.it may be possible that the bad words that somebody says,could "come back" to himself.I make the example of our neighbours.at first they were kind and gentle.but since we discovered their hypocrisy,they started making us some bad despites and one time I was beaten from the one of them.we were the target of their curses,they were maybe jealous of our wellbeing and hoped for us the death.some months ago both the father and the brother of our neighbour died.those people wished for us the death,but they payed(and they still pay)for their deeds.

Just a Guy

Reinventing Myself

Being more positive is something I have struggled with for years. I have gotten much better as I've grown older, but when I was in my teens and 20's, I was really not much fun to be around because of my negativity. I was a giant magnet that sucked the fun out of the room as soon as I walked in.

Eventually I realized that life is too short to be angry about everything all of the time.

ipanda

in my society there is a saying that goes on like this "Things happen based on words you say" which means if you say "i wish i die", death is likely to happen to you. Of course, it doesn't happen this way every time but it is not a beautiful practice at all. Staying positive and thanking the Almighty Allah for whatever happens in our lives is much more better and wise.

ShahnazZ

Striving2BeAStranger
JazakAllah khair for everyone's responses as well as to Brother ahmed_indian, for giving me actual proof as it was daleel I was basically looking for.

Gotta curb my pessimism it seems :SMILY231:

Tabassum07

Smile for Allah

I didn't know this was authentic with daleel and everything. So thanks Sis Shahnaz for asking this question!

Actually, I've heard such a thing before - when I was in the second grade, I had a non-muslim teacher (of the Hindu faith), and she once told us a story and according to their faith they believe this as well.

ShahnazZ

Striving2BeAStranger

I didn't know this was authentic with daleel and everything. So thanks Sis Shahnaz for asking this question!

Actually, I've heard such a thing before - when I was in the second grade, I had a non-muslim teacher (of the Hindu faith), and she once told us a story and according to their faith they believe this as well.

Exactly. And being from the Suncontinent, you know how easy it is for culture and superstition to get mixed up with fact. Especially Islamic fact. That's why I asked.

On another note, I promised my mother I would give sadaqa on her behalf if this turned out to be true and had Islamic basis. Gotta pay up lol