Support Our Troops Or You Are Unpatriotic

Frank_H_Smith

New Revert 2010
As Salamu 'Alaykum,

As an American, I have heard the term unpatriotic used to describe anyone who disagrees with the Economic Waste of War, anyone who says that someone should be held accountable for there being no weapons of mass destruction in Iraq, and that speaking against the war is hurtful to the troops. Well, I think homelessness,extended tours, PTSD, divorce,and red tape for veterans needing health care is hurting the veterans as are the weapons they faced daily in war.

The reason I talk so much is because instead of math class in the 5th grade, I was taken out of class from speech therapy lessons. The public education system of the late 1950's early 1960's wanted me to be able to express myself at the expense of being able to do basic math. Who knows, maybe the genius in Washington new that if Americans could do math and think logically instead of being able to speak clearly that there would be a 21st Century Tea Party.

I certainly don't feel like I have representation and there is plenty of taxation. So, what is different from the 1700's. Sure, America now has a "Black" president. But, White America has been paying minorities to clean up our (although, I am only partially Caucasian), messes since Abraham Lincoln used the slavery issue to help stop The South from seceding from The Union. Had he not been assassinated he would have deported all the "freed" slaves to Africa (So much for the Great Emancipator).

We had three generations of Intelligent presidents after Washington and then it has been going down hill all the way to George W. Bush.

Washington's Farewell Speech.

John Quincy Adams said if your actions inspire others...

Thomas Jefferson said, When the government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny.

And, even though he was never president Ben Franklin said those who give up liberty for security deserve neither.

And George W. Bush said There's time for Politics [yt]40NGRjp5tnk[/yt]

Valerie

I haven't clicked on all the links, but in regards to the title of the thread, my opinion, as a fellow veteran (married to another veteran) is that you can support troops without supporting what they are being forced to do. (Edit: I was a journalist, and meeting people overseas was actually pleasant for me, the people, especially the children, were wonderful and I was happy to meet them.. It was a good experience for me... This was pre-9/11 though)

I've been fortunate in getting my healthcare at VA. My doctors are great. My grandfather (a WWII vet) wasn't so lucky. His records were lost (in the fire in St. Louis I think), but they mysteriously found some later. :)

Frank_H_Smith

New Revert 2010
Valerie,

I too am a vet; although, of a different time. I was an eighteen year old E5 in Vietnam. I served 4 years and was honorably discharged after my 4 years. I have a friend who served in the Gulf War. He is a Revert to Islam. He was a pilot there and is a commercial pilot. He had to sue the government to take him off of a no fly list. His only "crime" was converting to Islam. He nor his wife have any political affiliations nor were either ever convicted of a crime. Yusuf Islam (Cat Stevens) is also on a no fly list and couldn't come to The United States for a speaking tour. His only "crime" was converting to Islam.
I am fairly sure that although there are many positive experiences in the military (I was on the first medivac ever used in The United States as a paramedic, I was a combat medic in Vietnam, and I worked in the Army Hospital doing procedures that most paramedics and nurses never get to perform.) And, the veteran's benefits paid for my three years of college, a certification in computers, and my tractor trailer driving training.

One of my friends from Vietnam is the foremost authority on the Medal of Honor. He helped to get the Stolen Valor Act passed which makes it a criminal offense to claim medals not issued. His views are much different than mine. But, we can still appreciate that each of us believes in our opinions and has a right to them.

My cousin was a local hero in the Vietnam War and helped to get the "Rolling Wall Memorial" started. He was known as the guy in a wheelchair without a leg who drove truck and worked his entire life and was a great football player before the Vietnam War. His father, my father, our uncles, of grandfathers, and there ancesters all served this country. My biological father was more than half American Indian (I don't like the term Native American because every person born in America is a Native American), so, although many of his Ancestors fought to keep this land of ours, they weren't as successful. My other brother and two of my nephews have served. One of my nephews did a tour in Afghanistan and two tours in Iraq.

It is amazing how many Veterans such as yourself are reverting to Islam. Apparently, there is something about war that causes one to seek peace. I want to support the soldiers of these current wars by seeing them come home alive and whole. I am sure you agree that is the best way we can support our soldiers. Why do we stay in practically ever country we ever enter. We still have 50,000 troops in Germany. There is still a military presence in South Korea, I don't know about Japan.

Valerie

I agree, I want things to be resolved as peacefully as possible. For everyone involved. I want parents on both sides to go home to their kids and hug them. :)

I think over the last ten years or so, many people are realizing that what we see on tv and what the reality is (of the majority of muslims) is not the same thing. Service members see that first hand.

I have no idea why we're still in Germany, I actually went through there on my "trip". It was beautiful there though...

Now I want to travel.. not as an army journalist, obviously :) I'm too broken for them to take me back ;)

It is amazing how many Veterans such as yourself are reverting to Islam. Apparently, there is something about war that causes one to seek peace. I want to support the soldiers of these current wars by seeing them come home alive and whole. I am sure you agree that is the best way we can support our soldiers. Why do we stay in practically ever country we ever enter. We still have 50,000 troops in Germany. There is still a military presence in South Korea, I don't know about Japan.

Frank_H_Smith

New Revert 2010
Valerie,

I think it is fantastic that you as a journalist are coming into Islam. You have the training to articulate the experience to the written word. Perhaps, you will bring others into Islam, Insha Allah, by the written word.

mali1

I am always fascinated by reverts and I salute you for your choice (of selecting Islam as your religion). I guess you guys have a better perspective on Islam than we do (for those who are born muslims).

Allah knows best.

Frank_H_Smith

New Revert 2010
As Salamu 'Alaykum,

Brother Mali,

We may have a different perspective; however, I don't know if it is better. I always liked the joke:

What do you call someone who speaks many languages?

Polylinqual.

What do you call someone who speaks three languages?

Trilingual.

What do you call someone who speaks two languages?

Bilingual.

What do you call someone who speaks only one language?

American.

Of course it is a stereotype based on the fact that until recently America has been a one language one flag nation with a three thousand mile wide piece of the Continent of North America.

We were mostly Christian, English Speaking, and had little knowledge of the rest of the world. We were "The Greatest Nation" in the world. It wasn't our health care or any social program that made us great. It was our stuff. We had more stuff than anyone. Now, Americans are looking for something to fill the gap that we tried to fill with materialism and amusement.

In Islam we see a comprehensive religion of the highest moral value with a Holy Book in Al Qur'aan that could only be the work of Allah. As we read about the Prophet (Salla Allahu 'Alayhi Wa Sallem) Reverts can't help but to fall in love with this Man (Salla Allahu 'Alayhi Wa Sallem) who brought us the
truth for which we were searching.

bari

Suhanallah

Brother Frank,

May Allah reward you. You say most difficult things so easily. Why do not you become a daa'ee (who invites people to Islam/truth). Or you are one? If you are a da'ee, will you come to our masjid for lectures?

May Allah open your heart more

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam walaikum,

Islam is sanity. Islam explains to us the need to use our intellect and curb our desires. It helps us to seek knowledge on the road to wisdom. It teaches us to be kind and patient and not punitive.

I will not go on a rant and rave about politics. However if you are every bored..I suggest you read some of my posts. I strongly suggest you rethink history as we have been taught. I was stunned.

It is very refreshing to read the dialogue. Jazaak Allahu Kharin.

Aisya al-Humaira

الحمدلله على كل حال
Brother Frank,

May Allah reward you. You say most difficult things so easily. Why do not you become a daa'ee (who invites people to Islam/truth). Or you are one? If you are a da'ee, will you come to our masjid for lectures?

May Allah open your heart more

Assalamualaykum wa rahmatullahi wa barakatuh,

Well actually akhi, we, as Muslims are all da'ee/da'eeyah. Because we only speak that of the truth and we refrain that of evil/forbidden. Also because we are the khalifah on Allaah's land. Our confession in the shahadah that "There is no God except Allaah and that Muhammad :saw2: is His Messenger" has already 'put on' us the responsibility to call upon 'Amar Ma'roof Nahi Mungkar".

"You are the best nation produced [as an example] for mankind. You enjoin what is right and forbid what is wrong and believe in Allah . If only the People of the Scripture had believed, it would have been better for them. Among them are believers, but most of them are defiantly disobedient." 3:110

But I do understand what you meant. That maybe the brother can be a full-time da'ee. Anyways I just wanted to add up a lil.

Wassalam.

arzafar

aah thanks for reminding me of One of my favorite quotes

"Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety deserve neither Liberty nor Safety"

Abu Talib

Feeling low
Valerie,

I think it is fantastic that you as a journalist are coming into Islam. You have the training to articulate the experience to the written word. Perhaps, you will bring others into Islam, Insha Allah, by the written word.

I agree with you Frank, ''The pen is mightier than the sword" reminds me ...

Frank_H_Smith

New Revert 2010
As Salamu 'Alaykum,

Abu Talib, that reminds me of a Psalms:

Psa 133:1 A Song of degrees of David. Behold, how good and how pleasant it is for brethren to dwell together in unity!
Psa 133:2 It is like the precious ointment upon the head, that ran down upon the beard, even Aaron's beard: that went down to the skirts of his garments;
Psa 133:3 As the dew of Hermon, and as the dew that descended upon the mountains of Zion: for there the LORD commanded the blessing, even life for evermore.

alf2

Islam is a way of life
As Salamu 'Alaykum,

Brother Mali,

We may have a different perspective; however, I don't know if it is better. I always liked the joke:

What do you call someone who speaks many languages?

Polylinqual.

What do you call someone who speaks three languages?

Trilingual.

What do you call someone who speaks two languages?

Bilingual.

What do you call someone who speaks only one language?

American.

Of course it is a stereotype based on the fact that until recently America has been a one language one flag nation with a three thousand mile wide piece of the Continent of North America.

We were mostly Christian, English Speaking, and had little knowledge of the rest of the world. We were "The Greatest Nation" in the world. It wasn't our health care or any social program that made us great. It was our stuff. We had more stuff than anyone. Now, Americans are looking for something to fill the gap that we tried to fill with materialism and amusement.

In Islam we see a comprehensive religion of the highest moral value with a Holy Book in Al Qur'aan that could only be the work of Allah. As we read about the Prophet (Salla Allahu 'Alayhi Wa Sallem) Reverts can't help but to fall in love with this Man (Salla Allahu 'Alayhi Wa Sallem) who brought us the
truth for which we were searching.

Assalamu alaykum everyone & brother Frank.

I am also an American revert, and 21 years old.

I agree with you 100% in this post! I am quite happy to see people like you thinking clearly about Patriotism, America and our perceived stance as "#1" in the world.

Mabsoot

Amir
Staff member
Assalamu alaykum

hi, sorry for replying a little late to this thread. I just would like to thank you for your thoughts.

I enjoyed reading through this, and this was one of the main purposes of the website. Which is to bring about understanding, to make bridges that can help bring people together. To let people understand Islam and the Muslim people.

At same time for people to see that Muslims are not "the enemies".

If we do not have dreams, no matter how idealistic they may seem to some, and believe in them, then we can never reach them.

MohammedMaksudul

May Allah Forgive us
Assalamu Alaykum Brother Frank,

After reading your posts, I have got an idea that you have many friends and relatives in the US Army. Can you please enlighten me about the real situation in Iraq, Afghanistan ? Please do so from the perspective of a Muslim alone and not any nation, as there is no patriotism in Islam other than that for the land of Islam. The pen might be mightier than the sword at times, but if somebody is illegally taking over my home and raping my mother and my wife and my sister then would the pen suffice me ? If it is anywhere else in the world, be it Israel , United Kingdom, India, United States, etc they would say we retaliate for self-defense. But people who retaliate in Palestine, etc are plain terrorists. I have no personal issue against any nation, but it hurts me when people call the NATO troops "soldiers" and the Muslims terrorists (even us Muslims).

MohammedMaksudul

May Allah Forgive us
Assalamu alaykum everyone & brother Frank.

I am also an American revert, and 21 years old.

I agree with you 100% in this post! I am quite happy to see people like you thinking clearly about Patriotism, America and our perceived stance as "#1" in the world.

:wasalam:

SubhanAllah sister that you have embraced Islam. But sister there is no nation no. 1 other than nation that has the Laws and regulations of Islam established in it. Islam is a complete way of life and I think you know that quite well, since you are a revert and I suppose you have studied quite hard before reverting. Islam dictates a Muslim's life from personal level to national level. And any system of life other than Islam is not acceptable by Allah, the Almighty. I too belong to a country where patriotism is no.1 and we are well known about it as well. I belong to Bangladesh and I don't know if you know about it or not, but we are the people who fought for our mother language and for that there is an international mother language day. Now, don't get me wrong as I am not trying to establish if my country of origin is superior to that of yours or my patriotism is greater than yours. No sister, the only thing I am trying to say is that there is no place for this patriotism in Islam for either you or me. The only Patriotism should be to Darus-Salam (Land of Islam). I respect your emotions about your mother land, but boldly claiming that America is the no.1 nation in the world is plain wrong. As, the only great nation is the Muslim Ummah which is like one body. If pain is inflicted on one part, the whole body feels it. These are sound and authentic hadith (forgive my lacking of not being able to quote the references, but these are authentic and you can ask anyone who is educated in proper Islam). The only nation that will be admitted to paradise is the Muslim Ummah and the previous nations which were in pure Monotheism (like the true Jews, true Christians before the coming of Islam). So, it will be better for all of us if we don't spend much time in showing patriotism to a geographical nation, where there people rule with out Islam. What we should do is to show patriotism to the Muslim Ummah. There is another hadith where the Prophet (sw) said that on the Day of Judgement you will be with the ones you love (authentic). Now, if we see that we love a nation or a people who are disbelievers in Islam and we love them then the hadith says it all, as the disbelievers will be disgraced and bound for Hell fire that day. So, we should love only and only the Muslim nation, the Muslim Ummah, the only nation present in this world after the coming of the Prophet (sw) to go to Paradise. Here I am not saying show love for middle east, because the Muslim nation consists of all the Muslims in this world despite there location, be it America, UK, India, etc. We have to know that the first nation we belong to is the nation of the Muslims across the world and then our geographical nation. May Allah guide all of us. :)

safiya58

:salam2:

I´m glad that Allah has guided you to Islam, Alhamdullilah. I respect you since you are my elder muslim brother

however I wish you will forgive me when I say that your troops will not have my symphatie....

sometimes pictures of war come to my mind.... and I think about the effects of war on the kids... what is with their psyche...??? They are broken... like I was broken when I was a kid... No, they are even more broken.....

and.... this children did not decide to join war...

I don´t want to blame anyone... The reason why I´m a muslim is because Allah has created me as a person who has a yearning for freedom and for justice which is almost unbearable....

so even not all guys serving in the millitary are bad... still this does not change the fact that the current wars are not justifiable... and they are a part of it.... they are a part of something evil....

I don´t judge but I can not understand how a muslim can be a vet.......

MohammedMaksudul

May Allah Forgive us

I´m glad that Allah has guided you to Islam, Alhamdullilah. I respect you since you are my elder muslim brother

however I wish you will forgive me when I say that your troops will not have my symphatie....

sometimes pictures of war come to my mind.... and I think about the effects of war on the kids... what is with their psyche...??? They are broken... like I was broken when I was a kid... No, they are even more broken.....

I don´t want to blame anyone... The reason why I´m a muslim is because Allah has created me as a person who has a yearning for freedom and for justice which is almost unbearable....

so even not all guys serving in the millitary are bad... still this does not change the fact that the current wars are not justifiable... and they are a part of it.... they are a part of something evil....

I agree!

dna1987

Muslim Guy

Just one point that you might be missing though is that a "veteran" is in the past tense and describes a person who was in the military. So that is in their past, not in the present.

But I definitely agree with you about the young children that have faced destruction and lost close family members due to these wars. Unless they are exceptionally religious and forgiving, most of these children will not care one bit about who believes what or what the "justifications" were.