teach me to make Tahajjud prayer

lostlilly07

striving 4 Firadous
Salaam alaikum

Allah please forgive me, if I spelled it wrong but I am trying to get closer to my creator and I am just confuse on how to make Tahajjud prayer.

so far from what I gather from online websites is that I am suppose to wake up...and perform this salaah. but I can't seem to find a few websites that agree...every time I switch to another website the information on how to perform it, is different from the previous website

Anyway. can someone who performs this regularly , please write down the step by step (and make it simple, Islam is simple) of how to perform Tahajjud prayer.

and also could you do a simple step by step of Witir salah...i

pcozzy

Salaam alaikum

Allah please forgive me, if I spelled it wrong but I am trying to get closer to my creator and I am just confuse on how to make Tahajjud prayer.

so far from what I gather from online websites is that I am suppose to wake up...and perform this salaah. but I can't seem to find a few websites that agree...every time I switch to another website the information on how to perform it, is different from the previous website

Anyway. can someone who performs this regularly , please write down the step by step (and make it simple, Islam is simple) of how to perform Tahajjud prayer.

and also could you do a simple step by step of Witir salah...i

:salam2:

There is nothing really different from regular prayers but more like fajr where it is on 2 rakaas, meaning you complete first prostration and then second one you complete like last rakaa of every salat. No saying anything like I am making this salat just prepare intention in your heart and pray.

You the prayer in an even number. I just do 2 make salam get up and do 2 make salam...

The witr is the very last of tahajjud prayer. It is only one prostration. You could pray it before you go to sleep then when u wake up to do additional prayers just do them 2 prostrations. The witr being only 1 raka or prostration; usually you add it to your final tahadjud set of two to make it 3 prostrations.

You could read Quran from a paper or book in your hand if you need to. It is more preferrable to have memorized.

i am assuming you have made the 5 obligatory prayers. If not I will or I am sure someone else will post what you need to know completly just be patient.

may Allah be with u.
:wasalam:

pcozzy

http://www.turntoislam.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9229

This is link to a current scholar named Alabani, rihama Allah, Now please take your time. Learn what each principle is mentioned to do or accept. And take it slowly. If you make a mistake, you can always repeat the prayer. Sheik Albany went through the many hadiths that describe how the prophet PBUH taught muslims. His book is very well the best instruction of prayer that I came across. I learned from my parents and they have taught me every thing correctly but there are a few things like positioning of the feet to do exactly like the prophet PBUH that they overlooked.

and Prophet's Manner of Performing Prayer by shiek bin baz rahima Allah
http://www.sunnahonline.com/ilm/sunnah/0013.htm

and The Method of Performing Wudoo
http://www.sunnahonline.com/ilm/sunnah/0011.htm

and a video of how to wadu and prayer.

http://www.turntoislam.com/forum/showthread.php?t=30406

a_muslimah86

Hubbi Li Rabbi
Staff member

Sister..I will try to simplify the information for you as much as possible..if you have any questions...of course..don't hesitate to ask :)

Tahajjud Prayer...is also known as Qiyamul-layl...so if you hear either one..it's the same thing..

1. It's time begins after Isha'a prayer..and ends at Fajr Prayer.

2. You may perform a number of Ruka'as from a minimum of 3 all the way to 11 Ruka'as (the Prophet (pbuh) was known to have prayed 11 Ruka'as most of the time).

3. You pray 2 Ruka'as at a time...make salam..then get up to make the Witr Ruka'a..which is one single Ruka'a..to sort of conclude your Tahajjud.

4. If you do not wake up in time to perform Tahajjud..and it's very close to Fajr Prayer..you may perform only the 1 Witr Ruka'a just so you perform the prayer and not miss it..and so you don't go over the time of a Fardh prayer.

Sidenotes:

* the best time to make Tahajjud according to the Prophet (pbuh) and the scholars is during the last third of the night (approximately...2 or 3 am)..because that's when Allah (swt) descends to the lowest heaven to answer the dua'as and invokations of His servants. and in the Qura'an it says:

"Truly the rising by night is most potent for governing (the soul), and most suitable for (framing) the Word (of Prayer and Praise)." [73:6]

(the verses and hadiths regarding the virtues of Tahajjud are many of course..but I will give you one ayah so I keep the information simple and short)

* It is a Sunnah (a matter which you can do or not based on your ability) that you lengthen your Ruka'as..and your prostrations in this prayer as much you can ..as that was something The Prophet (pbuh) was very keen on doing.

* If you can read the long Surahs at the beginning to lengthen your Ruka'as that would be great..as The Prophet (pbuh) did so..If you can't though..you're free to read any Surah you wish.

* You may hold a Qura'an and read out of it if you don't have Surahs memorized.

* Scholars recommend that you make any dua'a you wish for your dunya and your akhirah during sojood in this prayer (and all other prayers as well) because The Prophet (pbuh) had said:

"As for Ruku'u, then (in it) make much Praise to Allah (The Exalted)..and in sojood exert (yourselves) in making dua'a for you (i.e. the dua'as you make) might get answered. [Sahih Muslim].

* Tahajjud Prayer is the *best* prayer...after the Fardh Prayers..so those able to do it..would indeed perform a valued voluntary Ibadah..and commitment and dedication to it are indications of a Muslim's strong state of Iman and sound nafs & character..because Sobhanallah...bearing sins makes a person too weak for such a Ibadah and thus he/she cannot perform it even if they make the determined intentions to do so..unless they make sincere repentance and keep away from committing sin (I got the information from a lecture by a Shaikh..so this is not a personal claim)

I think that would be all regarding Tahajjud...like I said if you have further questions and/or you need me to find you the Ayahs and Hadiths about its virtues..don't hesitate to ask me..I will be glad to help inshallah :)

xSharingan01x

TraVeLer

Sister..I will try to simplify the information for you as much as possible..if you have any questions...of course..don't hesitate to ask :)

Tahajjud Prayer...is also known as Qiyamul-layl...so if you hear either one..it's the same thing..

1. It's time begins after Isha'a prayer..and ends at Fajr Prayer.

2. You may perform a number of Ruka'as from a minimum of 3 all the way to 11 Ruka'as (the Prophet (pbuh) was known to have prayed 11 Ruka'as most of the time).

3. You pray 2 Ruka'as at a time...make salam..then get up to make the Witr Ruka'a..which is one single Ruka'a..to sort of conclude your Tahajjud.

4. If you do not wake up in time to perform Tahajjud..and it's very close to Fajr Prayer..you may perform only the 1 Witr Ruka'a just so you perform the prayer and not miss it..and so you don't go over the time of a Fardh prayer.

Sidenotes:

* the best time to make Tahajjud according to the Prophet (pbuh) and the scholars is during the last third of the night (approximately...2 or 3 am)..because that's when Allah (swt) descends to the lowest heaven to answer the dua'as and invokations of His servants. and in the Qura'an it says:

"Truly the rising by night is most potent for governing (the soul), and most suitable for (framing) the Word (of Prayer and Praise)." [73:6]

(the verses and hadiths regarding the virtues of Tahajjud are many of course..but I will give you one ayah so I keep the information simple and short)

* It is a Sunnah (a matter which you can do or not based on your ability) that you lengthen your Ruka'as..and your prostrations in this prayer as much you can ..as that was something The Prophet (pbuh) was very keen on doing.

* If you can read the long Surahs at the beginning to lengthen your Ruka'as that would be great..as The Prophet (pbuh) did so..If you can't though..you're free to read any Surah you wish.

* You may hold a Qura'an and read out of it if you don't have Surahs memorized.

* Scholars recommend that you make any dua'a you wish for your dunya and your akhirah during sojood in this prayer (and all other prayers as well) because The Prophet (pbuh) had said:

"As for Ruku'u, then (in it) make much Praise to Allah (The Exalted)..and in sojood exert (yourselves) in making dua'a for you (i.e. the dua'as you make) might get answered. [Sahih Muslim].

* Tahajjud Prayer is the *best* prayer...after the Fardh Prayers..so those able to do it..would indeed perform a valued voluntary Ibadah..and commitment and dedication to it are indications of a Muslim's strong state of Iman and sound nafs & character..because Sobhanallah...bearing sins makes a person too weak for such a Ibadah and thus he/she cannot perform it even if they make the determined intentions to do so..unless they make sincere repentance and keep away from committing sin (I got the information from a lecture by a Shaikh..so this is not a personal claim)

I think that would be all regarding Tahajjud...like I said if you have further questions and/or you need me to find you the Ayahs and Hadiths about its virtues..don't hesitate to ask me..I will be glad to help inshallah :)

MashaAllah, thank you for the wonderful explanation. Simple yet very informative.

When I went to Qayamul Layl at the Masjid during Ramadan, the Imam made the Salah very lengthy, but I don't know many Surahs and hence I can only recite the short surahs.
Is it okay to recite the same surahs over and over again ? I only know something like 12 Surahs, and I've forgotten how to read the Quran :(.
I feel so horrible!

InshaAllah I will be taking classes at the Masjid soon.

yameenahmed

MashaAllah, thank you for the wonderful explanation. Simple yet very informative.

When I went to Qayamul Layl at the Masjid during Ramadan, the Imam made the Salah very lengthy, but I don't know many Surahs and hence I can only recite the short surahs.
Is it okay to recite the same surahs over and over again ? I only know something like 12 Surahs, and I've forgotten how to read the Quran :(.
I feel so horrible!

please do it quickly brother reciting of quran is must for all of us

yameenahmed

i have attached albani's [allah bless him] ramadhan book you refer for any doubts insahallah

Attachments

• The Night Prayer In Ramadan_(By)_Naasiruddeen Al-Albaanee).pdf
    331.6 KB · Views: 449

a_muslimah86

Hubbi Li Rabbi
Staff member

I feel so horrible!

Alhamduliallah Akhi..I'm glad I benefitted you...

As for your question...Al-Albani (ra) in his book regarding salat...for fardh prayers...he said that it's *mostahab* for one to create a *variety* (I am paraphrasing here)...as in...at times recite long surahs..and times short ones...at times lengthen the first ruka'a..and at times the 2nd (of course the Surah would dictate the length *precisely*)...and many scholars...who make recommendations for Khushu'u say that reading different Surahs each time you pray will cause attentiveness..and thus lead you to Khushu'u faster...

Perhaps it would be best to use the recommendations mentioned and applying them to Tahajjud as well???..because in its "nature"...you are to pray it like you'd pray a fardh!..you know what I mean?

I think it would be better if you ask the Imam of the masjid about it or someone with better knowledge..just to get a *sure* answer!

As for reading the Qura'an...other than simple tarteel...you don't have to do much...learning tajweed and such is going the *extra mile*..and of course...it's the best mile you can go extra on...but if you have circumstances keeping you from it..then you're pardoned..and can do with simple tarteel...

Perhaps you can re-new your reading skills with small practice during the day...until you get it down again???..and if you enlist in classes that will benefit you even more..the point is though...if you don't have very many Surahs memorized...you can by all means hold that Qura'an and read away from it :)

xSharingan01x

TraVeLer

Thank you for the recommendation.
I think I will just use the 12 surahs I know for Tahajud prayer, untill I can learn more.
Too bad I forgot how to read Quran. I learned it when I was very little.
when I came to USA I stopped reading and eventually forgot how to.

I don't think I have an excuse not to learn Quran, the Masjid is only 2 Minutes driving from my house! I've been somewhat lazy and I thought to myself " learn arabic first and then learn quran", yes I know very silly idea.

So I registered for an Arabic Class at college this semester, and InshaAllah I will register for Quran class at the Masjid.

SwordofAllah16

Heros of Islam
Salaam brother
don't worry bro i know you can do it and learn the Qur'an again, i forgot how to read myself and had to teach myself , now i cnt read fluently and another thing let me start sutin off im gna ryt five ayahz of Ar-Rahman in english try memorising this and sum1 to help you pronounce it once you memorise the five ayahz if you want ask me and il tell you the next 5 or you cud ask sum1 dat way you'll lern a long surah :D

:bismillah:

1. Ar-Rahman
2. 'Allamal Qur'an
3. Khalakal insaan
4. 'allamahul bayaaan
5. Ashammsu walqamarubi Husbaan

plz let me knw if this idea is too crazy lol

lostlilly07

striving 4 Firadous
Wa alaikum salaam

I am even more confuse now than before I started this journey...ya rabbi

so what you are all saying is that i can combine salatul witr and salatul tahajjud. if I am combining...than when do I recite dua qunoot. also am I reciting out loud for both of these salaats (ie. maghrib and Fajr and Isha) and what do you mean do an odd number...ya allah...this is so confusing. First you said do an odd number but than you say do two rakats. I am so confuse. Maybe there is a book, I can buy for children that will help me understand.

a_muslimah86

Hubbi Li Rabbi
Staff member
Wa alaikum salaam

I am even more confuse now than before I started this journey...ya rabbi

so what you are all saying is that i can combine salatul witr and salatul tahajjud. if I am combining...than when do I recite dua qunoot. also am I reciting out loud for both of these salaats (ie. maghrib and Fajr and Isha) and what do you mean do an odd number...ya allah...this is so confusing. First you said do an odd number but than you say do two rakats. I am so confuse. Maybe there is a book, I can buy for children that will help me understand.

Sister you're confusing *yourself*...Salatul witr...Tahajjud..and Qiyamul-layl...are *different names* for the *same prayer*...

People use *Ruka'at Al-Witr*...only to quickly mean...*the one Ruka'a done on its own*

As for dua'a al-qunoot...its *mostahab* (preferred) but it's not a *wajib* (a must)...and it is performed in *Ruka'at Al-Witr*..*the single Ruka'a to conclude Tahajjud/Qiyamul-layl*...The Prophet (pbuh) used to say the dua'a..but not very much...

If you wish to do it still...

Then you recite dua'a al-qonoot *after* you finish *reading the Surah you chose to read that night*...*before* Ruku'u...OR...you can also say it...*after* raising up from *Ruku'u* (*after* saying *rabbana wa laka al-hamd*)...both ways were done by the Prophet (pbuh)..but *not very much* like I already said..as this dua'a is *mostahab*..not a *wajib*...

Now regarding the numbering (odd & even)...

If you are going to do *more than* 1 Ruka'a...you have to make it an *odd number*...and that is because you're adding *the single witr ruka'a*...

For example...If you decide you will pray two ruka'as of tahajjud every night from now on...you have to pray the two ruka'as...and then *conclude* with a *third* ruka'a..on its own (The Witr Ruka'a!)...

If you decide on four ruka'as...you pray two ruka'as at a time..you pray two ruka'as..say your salams...get up..perform the final two ruka'as..say your salams...then get up...and conclude with the (single) witr ruka'a..and say salams...so you end up with an *odd number (specifically 5) of ruka'as because of ruka'at al-witr*...

In one narration about this prayer...Sayidatina Ai'isha (ra) said...that the prophet (pbuh) used to pray 11 ruka'as a night..*two by two*..then he concludes with *one*...

You see how it goes???...if you decide to perform any ruka'as beyond the sum of 1..you have to pray two ruka'as at a time..and then you *must*...add *the single witr ruka'a* as a conclusion...that's where the "odd" numbering is coming from...

As for reciting out loud...or *jahr*...the sunnah for tahajjud/witr/qiyamul-layl is that you pray it *jahran* or *out loud*...loud enough to hear yourself reciting! ;)

I am sorry if I am wording things in a confusing manner..tell me if things are clearer now..inshallah they are..and if you still have questions..fire away..I will keep checking back to see how it's going for you :)

lostlilly07

striving 4 Firadous
Jazakallah Khairn...okay, I am getting it now...a little...lol but I still have questions on this even and odd Rak'aa thing.

Okay Lets say I was going to pray 3 Rakaa. Would it go something like this....praying Fajr (which is two rak'aa) and then salaam out. follow by one more Rakaa but before I go into Sadjah...I recite Dua Qunoot than go into sajah?

Also am I still reciting both tashahhud? And what did the prophet sallallahi alahi wa salaam do 11 rak'aa or 5.

also what is confusing really is the term Rak'ah and Rak'aa. so in my final rakaa of witr, does my Forehead touch the ground once or twice?

Okay...I am think I am getting it now.

Thanks a lot sister

lostlilly07

striving 4 Firadous
also one more question? Okay I know I am suppose to recite Surah Faatihah but doing the entire Tahajjud and the final Witr Rak'aa am I suppose to recite the same Surah or can I switch to a different surah each time I start a new unit . because most of surahs I know are short from Juz Amma.

SwordofAllah16

Heros of Islam

usually the way i pray witr is first rakhat recite Surah Fateha and then a surah ( the sunna is to recite surrah A'la) but i don't know the surah, and then go down rukku and then sjada, get up then agen fateha den dis tym Surah kafiroon (agen sunnah to recite surah Kafiroon at the second rakha) and then go down after sajda instead of doin tashahud i get bak up straight awy and the after ikhlaas go bow down or rukku and then get up and then do the du'a qunut and then after i finish the du'a go down for sajda and then tashahud and then the tasleem. *phew* dne :D

a_muslimah86

Hubbi Li Rabbi
Staff member
Jazakallah Khairn...okay, I am getting it now...a little...lol but I still have questions on this even and odd Rak'aa thing.

Okay Lets say I was going to pray 3 Rakaa. Would it go something like this....praying Fajr (which is two rak'aa) and then salaam out. follow by one more Rakaa but before I go into Sadjah...I recite Dua Qunoot than go into sajah?

Also am I still reciting both tashahhud? And what did the prophet sallallahi alahi wa salaam do 11 rak'aa or 5.

also what is confusing really is the term Rak'ah and Rak'aa. so in my final rakaa of witr, does my Forehead touch the ground once or twice?

Okay...I am think I am getting it now.

Thanks a lot sister

You're there!!!...alhamduliallah...I am very pleased :D

Yes like you said...if you're going to make 3 ruka'as...you perform two (like you would with fajr prayer ;) )...say salam...and then get up and do your third ruka'a...you're exactly right!

And if your prefer to say qunoot before going down into the sajdah...that is okay...but you can also say it before you go down into the ruku'u..so pick whichever one you feel more comfortable with :)

As for tashahhud...you say it both times of course...tahajjud is no different *in performance* than the fardh prayers...you do the same things you do in a fardh prayer...except for the qunoot in ruka'at al witr...that's an addition specific *to witr* of course!

the term Ruka'a/Raka'ah/Raka'a...are different ways to write one word..and the term stands for "the bowing" position you make in prayer...*sojood* or *prostration*...is when your forehead *touches the ground*..and as you might know from your fardh prayers already...you *must* go down to sojood (prostration) twice!...so you have to do the same for *the witr*..because like I said it is *all* the same in performance...the only addition to *witr* is the *qunoot* :)

And The Prophet (pbuh)...peformed 11 ruka'as almost all of the time...but he (pbuh) said..that it is okay to even do 1 ruka'a...so it's up to you how many you want to make...if you wish to make 11 ruka'as in emulation of The Prophet (pbuh)..then mashallah..that is wonderful!!!

also one more question? Okay I know I am suppose to recite Surah Faatihah but doing the entire Tahajjud and the final Witr Rak'aa am I suppose to recite the same Surah or can I switch to a different surah each time I start a new unit . because most of surahs I know are short from Juz Amma.

Yes...you may change the surah you recite after the Faatiha each time you start a new unit..this is actually better for you :)...and this was something The Prophet (pbuh) used to do as well...

I recommend that you read out of the Qura'an if you don't have many Surahs memorized...mashallah many sisters say that they memorized many Surahs because of reading from the Qura'an in Tahajjud...I even know a sister who memorized all of Surat Al-Baqarah and parts of Al-Emran that way...mashallah!

I'll add you to my buddy list so if you have any further questions...you can send them to my PM...and inshallah I will keep checking here to see how things are going...so if you have any other questions and what not..I don't have to tell you *not to hesitate*...feel free to ask me :)

malickabrother

save Palestine!
:salam2: sister Muslimah86 I only pray tahajjud using 2 rakats with no odd one but I do add an odd rakat for safa and witr before going to bed.May ALLAH reward you for clarifying?Ameen coz I didn't now that...is there any specific surah one has to recite for the odd rakat in tahajjud?

lostlilly07

striving 4 Firadous
Jazkallah Khairn...sister This means a lot. I think I got it...I guess once I start it will become easier and easier. and wow...mash'allah I hope one day I can I know the entire surah-al Baqarah. But for now my goal is Juz Amma.

a_muslimah86

Hubbi Li Rabbi
Staff member
:salam2: sister Muslimah86 I only pray tahajjud using 2 rakats with no odd one but I do add an odd rakat for safa and witr before going to bed.May ALLAH reward you for clarifying?Ameen coz I didn't now that...is there any specific surah one has to recite for the odd rakat in tahajjud?

According to what I have read...there is no specification...but like I mentioned in my other posts...*overall*...The Prophet (pbuh) liked to *lengthen* his Ruka'as..so he used to recite the first 3 Surahs of the Qura'an...and in the few times he (pbuh) *didn't* recite long Surahs..he would read short surahs...such as Surah 87..Surah 109..Surahs 112..113..and 114 (*in that order*..*one* for *each* unit or Ruka'a)..but this is a *Sunnah*..so you can choose to do *it*..or do something *similar* to it...

Many scholars say you can do either way (that I explained)..and they make "recommendations" to read certain Surahs (because of their proven virtue in authentic Hadiths and such)..but they also say...you may read any Surah you wish...

Feel free to ask for any other clarifications you may need :)

Jazkallah Khairn...sister This means a lot. I think I got it...I guess once I start it will become easier and easier. and wow...mash'allah I hope one day I can I know the entire surah-al Baqarah. But for now my goal is Juz Amma.

Wa Iyaki dear sister...and you're right..once you do it..and you get the hang of it..it will be very easy...inshallah...you will get everything about it and believe me...you will *love* it and get addicted to it!!!

And may you not only perfect Juz Amma but may you memorize and perfect reciting the *entire Qura'an*..Inshallah!!! :)