Problem Tech help and recommendation

Mahzala

فَتَبَارَكَ اللَّهُ أَحْسَنُ الْخَالِقِينَ
Assalamu'alaykum,

So, recently, I bought an external hard drive, but I can't put/save anything onto it. I've installed it and all, but it doesn't work. Am I missing something?

Also, I was considering purchasing the iPad Mini. My Macbook is becoming very hard to transport everywhere, with wireless limitations too, and so utilising it outside my house is not very practical. Any recommendations?

Thank you in advance :rugby:

Hassan

Laa ilaha ilaa Allah
Staff member
wa alaikum asalaam

These things are usually plug and play so it is strange it doesn't work. Maybe the disk just needs formatting. Right click on it in 'My Computer' or whatever you have, and choose Format. You will need to select the right option for your system. I *think* Fat32 is generally ok.

Having a smaller device to carry around is good. My advice is to think about expense vs. how much you will realistically use it. Something that easily coordinates with what you have is useful.

Hope some of that helps.

Mahzala

Okay, so I had to sync it with my Time Machine. It worked, but not the first few attempts. I feel quite silly now :oops:

That's a good suggestion, worth considering, thank you. As for the iPad, I'll still wait for some more recommendations. Does anyone have the Mini? I've used the iPad, but am not too keen on purchasing it, it's quite big compared to what I am after.

Hassan

Laa ilaha ilaa Allah
Staff member
So often the way. At least it was something small but overlooked, and not some whole new thing to spend hours on.

I'm not Apple, so I'll leave that for someone else to comment.

:salam:

Mahzala

I have considered Android, for many reasons, but at the back of my mind, Apple has always taken the higher preference. My phone is Android, and it's gone bonkers. I am thinking long run (though Apple so frequently update), using it as an educator, both for ease of access and the educational apps that are used across many schools, and its compatibility with my Macbook. Thoughts?

Thank you both, and for the links, I'll have a read. We need a thank you button.

A.Abubaker

Also bare in mind that Ipad IOS is much easier to update than androids and are less likely to get infected with malware.

Hey, I am biased and I don't like Apple and all they stand for, Lol. But, yeah, If you have other apple devices then the Ipad is the natural choice.

Mahzala

Exactly, as I did with my laptop. Very soon, a few months later Mountain Lion came out, and the update was so easy ... as opposed to Windows, where I've upgraded from Vista to Windows 7 to 8 and it's taken hours on end ...

... talking of Windows, this school I am at, use Windows XP ... o_O

A.Abubaker

I like their naming conventions. Do you have to pay for the Apple os updates like windows or does it come free?

poor guys, they are stuck in the yester years.

Mahzala

The computer software updates are not free, but they are very inexpensive. I've bought Windows updates for hundreds of dollars, and when I was updating my macbook, it cost me under $20.00 ... :rugby:

Mahzala

poor guys, they are stuck in the yester years.

I was on one of the Asus staff computers today, and it had the OS before XP ... It's so old I can't even remember what it's called ... I had another really moment.

uniqueskates

Rabbe Zidni Illma
I was on one of the Asus staff computers today, and it had the OS before XP ... It's so old I can't even remember what it's called ... I had another really moment.

:salam:
Next am gonna find you stuck in MS-DOS :p :laughing-dancing:
By the way, coming to suggestion, Am totally Android biased guy.!

Mahzala

Possible, the school is fifty years old. But they've refurbished most of it. The only old thing left is a heritage tree and of course, the OS's.

I've had the Android experience, and it's starting to disappoint me, so I am set on the iPad. Though I haven't heard from any mini users ... only one, and wow, all she had to say was: "Yeh, you should get it, it's really cool!" And I am thinking, I've figured that out ... and ... o_O

Mahzala

I am thinking I should wait until iOS 7 gets released.

A.Abubaker

I see what you mean. I bought a mobile a couple of months ago and now they are releasing a newer presumably a better version, gutted.