Tequila Ummah?!

ShahnazZ

Striving2BeAStranger
The "Tequila Ummah".

Astaghfirullah. Seriously humiliating.

http://www.economist.com/blogs/graphicdetail/2012/08/daily-chart-2

Tequila ummah.png

Alcohol in the Muslim world

NOBODY knows exactly when Islamic scholars decided that booze was sinful. In the 1970s political Islam led some countries such as Iran and Pakistan to ban alcohol, although many do not and exceptions are made for non-Muslims. In some countries the punishment for Muslims caught quaffing are severe: 80 lashes in the case of Iran. Things may get more arid yet as Islamist parties from Indonesia to Tunisia moot restrictions on alcohol. The number of drinkers varies by country, but some put the total at 5% of those identifying themselves as Muslim. Drinking may even be on the rise. Between 2001 and 2011 sales of alcohol in the Middle East, where Muslims dominate, grew by 72%, against a global average of 30%. That rise is unlikely to be accounted for by non-Muslims and foreigners alone. The black market for spirits flourishes in Libya, while Iranians are adept at producing home brew. Could Islam become more tolerant of drinking? A handful of scholars permit alcohol as long as it is not made from grapes and dates, because these are specifically mentioned in the Koran.

And THESE are the countries Muslims are "encouraged" to migrate to?

It's statistics like these where I realize I'm blessed to be born in the United States. Yes, it has its haters but as long as there's no "Muslim hypocrisy" I really don't think anyone is qualified to point fingers.