Article Texas hospital ends life support for pregnant Marlise Munoz .

queenislam

★★★I LOVE ALLAH★★★
:bismillah:
:salam:
greeting

Texas is keeping a dead woman on life support .

Hospital Sued For Keeping Braindead, Pregnant Woman Marlise Munoz On Life Support

Tue, January 14, 2014
On November 26,
Erick Munoz found his 14-weeks pregnant wife, Marlise, unconscious in their home. Erick Munoz is now suing John Peter Smith Hospital in Fort Worth for keeping the dead woman on life support against his explicit wishes.

Although the cause of the condition remains unclear, her family has mentioned that it is possibly attributable to a blood clot. It is likely that her body had been deprived of oxygen for some time before Munoz found her.

The husband and wife were both paramedics, and, as Munoz told the Associated Press, his wife had previously told him that she would rather die than be sustained on life support. Marlise’s parents have agreed with Munoz’s decision.

As the lawsuit explains, Marlise Munoz “gave clear instructions to her husband and family – Marlise was not to remain on any type of artificial ‘life sustain treatment.’” It continues on to state that the “court should order JPS to immediately discontinue” treatment on the dead body.

The hospital has disobeyed Munoz’s wishes, however, under a law that requires that the hospital continues treating pregnant patients.”

As Hospital spokeswoman J.R. Labbe has said, “This is not a difficult decision for us. We are following the law.”

The lawsuit filed by Erick Munoz counters that this law does not apply, because the woman is legally and medically dead, without any chance of recovery. Munoz’s attorneys have requested an expedited ruling; no hearing was set as of Tuesday afternoon.

Although doctors have been monitoring Munoz’s fetus, its current condition remains unclear.

A 2010 article from the journal BMC Medicine reveals that while 30 cases of brain-dead pregnant women have been recorded over the past 30 years, in only 12 of them was a viable child born. Of these 12, further data was only available on six of the children, all of whom developed normally.

The article also specifies that a fetus at 24 weeks of gestation has between a 20 and 30 percent chance of survival; Munoz’s fetus was still several weeks short of this stage.

~News.

Terminating Braindead on life support depending on case and situation
i think,here the hospital definitely is making the right decision for keeping it.

Thank you for reading,
Take care,
~Wassalam :)

Last edited:

queenislam

★★★I LOVE ALLAH★★★
Related News UPDATE.
Judge Orders Hospital to Remove Pregnant Woman From Life Support

greeting!

JAN. 24, 2014
FORT WORTH
hospital-master675.jpg

Erick Munoz, the husband of Marlise Munoz, at the Tarrant County courthouse in Fort Worth on Friday. Larry W. Smith/European Pressphoto Agency

— A Texas judge ruled Friday that a Fort Worth hospital may not keep a brain-dead pregnant woman on life support against her family’s wishes, and ordered doctors to take her off the machines by 5 p.m. on Monday.

The ruling gives the family of the woman, Marlise Muñoz, their first legal victory in a two-month battle over the fate of her body that has raised an emotionally charged national debate over end-of-life care, abortion and a Texas law that prohibits medical officials from withdrawing life support from a pregnant patient.

The judge, R. H. Wallace Jr. of 96th District Court in Tarrant County, ruled that Ms. Muñoz, 33, who has been on life support at John Peter Smith Hospital since November and is now 22 weeks pregnant, was legally dead, agreeing with the family’s lawyers that the hospital had erred in its decision to keep her on life support. The hospital had said the Texas law addressing life support for pregnant women prevented it from granting the family’s wish, but the judge said the law did not apply to Ms. Muñoz because she is dead.

Judge Wallace set the 5 p.m. Monday deadline, saying he wanted to give the hospital time to file an appeal.

A spokeswoman for the county-owned hospital, which was represented by the Tarrant County district attorney’s office, said it would be consulting with its lawyers. The hospital appeared to be considering an appeal.

Lawyers for Ms. Muñoz’s husband, Erick Muñoz, said they were provided with medical records that showed the fetus was “distinctly abnormal” and suffered from hydrocephalus — an accumulation of fluid in the cavities of the brain — as well as a possible heart problem.

The hospital acknowledged in court documents that the fetus was not viable.

The hearing Friday, at a courthouse three miles from the hospital, touched on the larger political issues that have underscored her case. In legal filings and in the courtroom, the lawyer for the hospital, Larry M. Thompson, said that Ms. Muñoz met the clinical criteria for brain death two days after she arrived there.

But he argued that the law still applied to her, and that the Texas Legislature’s passage of the law showed that the state had a compelling interest in protecting unborn children.

Mr. Thompson wrote in court papers that the Texas Penal Code’s definition of an individual stated that an unborn child was alive at every stage of gestation, from fertilization until birth. And he pointed to a bill backed by Gov. Rick Perry that lawmakers passed last year that banned abortions after 20 weeks of pregnancy, based on the theory that the fetus can feel pain at that stage.

“Given the strong interest of the Texas Legislature in protecting the life of unborn children, it is unlikely the Legislature contemplated only the welfare of the mother” when it enacted the law prohibiting the withdrawal of life support for pregnant patients, Mr. Thompson wrote.

He added that it was reasonable to infer that the law was meant to “protect the unborn child against the wishes of a decision maker who would terminate the child’s life along with the mother’s.”

But a lawyer for Mr. Muñoz said Mr. Thompson’s argument amounted to a sweeping public policy declaration with broad implications.

The lawyer, Heather L. King, said that if the state indeed had such an interest, paramedics who arrived at crash scenes would be required to give dying women pregnancy tests to ensure they were following the law.

Ms. King apologized in the courtroom for putting it so crudely, but told the judge that pregnant women “die every day,” adding: “When they die, their fetus dies with them. That is the way it’s always been, and the way it should be.”

Moments after Judge Wallace made his ruling, Mr. Muñoz, 26, who had been sitting in a bench behind his lawyers, slumped in his seat and began weeping. He was embraced by his relatives.

“There’s nothing happy about today,” Ms. King said outside the courtroom. “This was a sad situation all the way around. We are relieved that Erick Muñoz can now move forward with the process of burying his wife.”

The hearing dealt largely with the blunt issue of Ms. Muñoz’s death. Brain death — the total loss of all brain functions — amounts to a legal state of death. As part of his ruling, the judge ordered the hospital to pronounce Ms. Muñoz dead.

Though Mr. Muñoz did not speak at the hearing, he said in court papers that it has been painful to watch his wife deteriorate from the woman he knew to what he described as a corpse being kept alive against his wishes.

“Over these past two months, nothing about my wife indicates she is alive,” he said in an affidavit.

“When I bend down to kiss her forehead, her usual scent is gone, replaced instead with what I can only describe as the smell of death. As a paramedic, I am very familiar with this smell, and I now recognize it when I kiss my wife. In addition, Marlise’s hands no longer naturally grip mine for an embrace. Her limbs have become so stiff and rigid due to her deteriorating condition that now, when I move her hands, her bones crack, and her legs are nothing more than dead weight.”

Mr. Muñoz’s lawyers had asked the judge to declare the Texas law unconstitutional, arguing that it violated Ms. Muñoz’s rights under the 14th Amendment to make medical decisions about her own body.

The judge said since the law did not apply to Ms. Muñoz, he would make no ruling on its constitutionality.

Ms. Muñoz, who was trained as a paramedic, lived with her husband and their 15-month-old son, Mateo, in nearby Haltom City.

She was at home in the middle of the night on Nov. 26 when she collapsed from an apparent blood clot in her lungs. She had gone to the kitchen to prepare a bottle for Mateo. Her husband later found her on the kitchen floor. She had stopped breathing, but was alive when she arrived at the hospital, according to court documents.

Her parents and her husband’s lawyers said she was not breathing for an unknown length of time, possibly as long as an hour or more, which severely harmed the fetus by depriving it of oxygen.

~News.

i thought America@Texas against abortion this process will too eventually leading to that terminating the fetus life support is like killing an innocent ~unfair and very sad .
Mommy is sure confirm dead but little baby is not!!!

*Fetus is 22 weeks old if given a grace period of just another 6 weeks more till the fetus at 28 weeks old is enough and can be consider mature for he/her to live outside womb .

Thank you for reading,
Take care,
~Wassalam

Last edited:

queenislam

★★★I LOVE ALLAH★★★
Texas anti-abortion law forces
What are the new laws about abortion and when
will they go into effect?

Gov. Perry signed HB2 into law on July 18, 2013. Some sections of the law went into effect in October and November of 2013

Starting October 29, 2013, these laws went into effect:
  • No one can get an abortion if they are over 20 weeks of gestation, or 22 weeks if calculated from the last monthly period

queenislam

★★★I LOVE ALLAH★★★
Related News UPDATE.
26 January 2014Last updated at 22:13
greeting!
Texas hospital ends life support for pregnant Marlise Munoz
_72536673_020794154-1.jpg

Above image:Erick Munoz had filed suit to end his pregnant wife's life support, arguing she was legally deceased

News.
A brain-dead woman kept alive by a hospital in Texas because she was pregnant has been taken off life support.

A court had ruled that John Peter Smith Hospital must stop life-saving measures for Marlise Munoz by Monday.

Mrs Munoz, 33, was 14 weeks pregnant when she fell unconscious in November. It is believed she had a blood clot.

Her family wanted to let her die, but the hospital had argued it had a legal duty to protect the unborn child.

'Against her wishes'

Her life support was turned off at 11:29 local time (17.29 GMT) Sunday family members told News,

"Marlise Munoz finally rest in peace, and her family find the strength to complete what has been an unbearably long and arduous journey," lawyers for the family said in a statement.

Mrs Munoz's husband, Erick, filed suit against the hospital on 14 January, arguing that keeping her on life support went against her wishes as a paramedic familiar with end-of-life issues.

The family's lawyers also provided medical records revealing that the foetus was "distinctly abnormal" as a result of oxygen deprivation.

The hospital in the city of Fort Worth had denied the family's request, citing a Texas law saying life-sustaining treatment cannot be withdrawn from a pregnant patient, regardless of her end-of-life wishes.

But on Friday, RH Judge Wallace ruled that Mrs Munoz, who was about 22 weeks pregnant, was legally dead. He ordered her life support to be removed by 17:00 local time (23:00 GMT) on Monday.

Mrs Munoz, 33, has remained unconscious since her husband discovered her on the kitchen floor on 26 November while pregnant with the couple's second child.

A blood clot has been listed as a possible cause.

News.

Thank you for reading,
Take care,

Last edited: