That which has been Revealed to us, The importance of the Sunnah

Mabsoot

Amir
Staff member
That Which has been Revealed to Us:

The Following introductory Article May Be a Useful Read Before reading this main article:

What Are the Quran And Sunnah? Why Do Muslims Have To Follow This?

Allaah, (SWT) says in the Quran (what means):

«Say: “We believe in Allaah, and in what has been revealed to us, and what was revealed to Ibraaheem, Ismaa‘eel, Ishaaq, Ya‘qoob, and the Tribes, and what was given to Moosaa, and ‘Eesaa, and the prophets from their Lord. We do not separate between anyone of them, and we are Muslims (submitting to Him)”.» (Aal ‘Imraan 3:84)

How often have we heard this aayah quoted to show that Muslims believe in all of the prophets? Let us look at it in connection with the aayah that directly follows it:

«And whoever pursues other than Islaam for his religion, then it will never be accepted from him, and in the Hereafter he will be among the losers.» (Aal ‘Imraan 3:85)

Let us examine the obvious statements put forward it this passage of the Qur’aan:

1. Allaah has addressed a group of people, commanding them to “Say” something. These people are the Muslims as is clear from the end of the passage.

2. He (SWT) has clarified that the statement in question is a matter of faith, starting with, «...We believe in Allaah...»

3. The following part of the statement, «...and in what has been revealed to us...» must be properly understood. Some people mistakenly limit “what has been revealed” to the Qur’aan alone. However, as we shall see, the remainder of the passage in question does not allow that interpretation.

4. «...And what was revealed to Ibraaheem...» that is, we believe in it too. There is no problem here, for Allaah has referred to «...The Suhuf of Ibraaheem...» (al-A‘laa 87:18) and it is easy for everyone to believe that Allaah revealed a Book to him (S).

5. «...And Ismaa‘eel, Ishaaq, Ya‘qoob, and the Tribes.» Here is where the problem occurs. If «...and in what has been revealed to us...» refers to the Qur’aan only, then what are the names of the Books that Allaah revealed to «...Ismaa‘eel, Ishaaq, Ya‘qoob, and the Tribes.» ?

6. «... And what was given to Moosaa, and ‘Eesaa, and the prophets from their Lord...» Here again why did Allaah use the term prophets, if it refers only to those who have already been mentioned?

7. «...We do not separate between anyone of them, and we are Muslims (submitting to Him)”.» We do not separate between what?

«...what has been revealed to us, and what was revealed to Ibraaheem, Ismaa‘eel, Ishaaq, Ya‘qoob, and the Tribes, and what was given to Moosaa, and ‘Eesaa, and the prophets from their Lord...» (Aal ‘Imraan 3:84)

Does this mean only that we acknowledge that they existed? No! As we see at the beginning of the statement, we must believe in Allaah, what has been revealed to us, and what has been revealed to all of the Prophets, whether that is a Book, or anything else that Allaah revealed to them.

What Did Allaah Reveal to Ismaa‘eel, Ishaaq, Ya‘qoob, the Tribes, and the Prophets?

Let us look at what Nooh (S) said to his people before Allaah destroyed them:

«I have conveyed to you the Message of my Lord...» (Al-A‘raaf 7:62)

And the saying of Prophet Hood (S) to his people before Allaah destroyed them:

«I have conveyed to you the Message of my Lord...» (Al-A‘raaf 7:68)

And look at the claim of the followers of the Prophet Saalih (S):

«...We do indeed believe in that with which he (Saalih) has been sent.» (Al-A‘raaf 7:75)

When he left his people, before Allaah destroyed them, Saalih told them:

«O my people, I did indeed convey to you the Message for which I was sent by my Lord, I gave you good counsel, but you do not like good counsellors!» (Al-A‘raaf 7:79)

But what Books did these prophets receive? What were the names of the Books that their peoples were destroyed for rejecting?

In each case mentioned, the prophets are telling their people that they have conveyed the Message of Allaah to them and advised them. Even though Allaah did not reveal specific books to these prophets, yet He commanded them to convey His revelation to them; and their rejection and disobedience to the commands of Allaah's messengers was the very reason for their destruction.

Also, Allaah said: «That was Our proof that We gave to Ibraaheem against his people. We raise whom We will by degrees, for your Lord is Wise, Knowing. We gave him Ishaaq, and Ya‘qoob - all We guided. And before him, We guided Nooh, and among his offspring Daawood, Sulaymaan, Ayyoob, Yoosuf, Moosaa and Haaroon; in this way We reward the doers of good. And Zakariyyaa, Yahyaa, ‘Eesaa, and Ilyaas - all were among the righteous. And Ismaa‘eel, il-Yasa‘, Yoonus and Loot, and We favored all of them above all men and jinn. And among their fathers, families and brothers, We chose them and guided them to the straight path. This is Allaah's guidance, He gives it to whomever He wills among His servants. If they were to join partners with Him, all that they did would be in vain. These were the men to whom We gave the Book, the Hukm (judgement), and Prophethood...» (Al-An‘aam 6:83-89)

Allaah mentions 19 prophets here, then He says «These were the men to whom We gave the Book, the Hukm (judgement), and Prophethood» Look also at the covenant that Allaah took with these prophets:

«Based on what I have given you from the Book and the Wisdom (Hikmah), when a Messenger will come to you confirming what is with you, you must believe in him and render him help...» (Aal ‘Imraan 3:81)

And look at the prayer of Ibraaheem and Ishaaq:

«Our Lord! send among them a messenger of their own, reciting Your signs to them, and instructing them in the Book and the Wisdom...» (Al-Baqarah 2:129)

And look at what Allaah said to the people during the time of Muhammad (S):

«We have sent among you a Messenger of your own, reciting Our signs to you, purifying you, and teaching you the Book and the Wisdom, and that which you did not know. Then remember Me - I will remember you. Be grateful to Me - and do not disbelieve.» (Al-Baqarah 2:151)

Here Allaah has told us to be grateful for what He has revealed to us! That is the Book and the Wisdom, and that is the Qur’aan and the Sunnah of the Messenger of Allaah (S)!

Now if we review the aayah above:

«Say: “We believe in Allaah, in what has been revealed to us, and what was revealed to Ibraaheem, Ismaa‘eel, Ishaaq, Ya‘qoob, and the Tribes, and what was given to Moosaa, ‘Eesaa, and the prophets from their Lord. We do not separate between anyone of them, and we are Muslims (submitting to Him)”.» (Aal ‘Imraan 3:84)

We can now see that:

1. We are commanded to declare our faith in what has been revealed to us, and that is the Qur’aan and the Sunnah of the Messenger of Allaah (S).

2. Likewise, we have been commanded to believe in all of the revelation given to each prophet before Muhammad (S), whether that was from the Book, the Wisdom, or any miracles.

3. Furthermore, not only did Allaah command us to “Say” we believe in the above, but He (T) followed that by saying:

«And whoever pursues other than Islaam for his religion, then it will never be accepted from him, and in the Hereafter he will be among the losers.» (Aal ‘Imraan 3:85)

Thus He (T) is indicating that these beliefs are part of the religion of Islaam, and are required for one to be a Muslim. This is why the verdict of disbelief is passed upon those who deny the Sunnah of the Messenger of Allaah, like Rashad Khalifa, and others who claim that all of the religion is found in the Qur’aan alone. Clearly these aayaat of the Qur’aan prove the error of such falsehood.

Let all who deny the Sunnah of the Messenger, whom Allaah sent to them, reflect upon the fate described in the Qur’aan for the peoples who also denied what their messengers delivered. Indeed, even without a Book, the messenger must be obeyed; otherwise the people are destroyed. In this light there should be less speculation as to why the Muslims are in such a poor condition as they are.