the 4 imams??

Status
Not open for further replies.
salam alaykum.....

i heard there are no sects in Islam...but then why r there 4 imams that we must choose from which r shafi ,hannafi ,hambali,....isnt that forming sects....even there opinions differ in different matters

AdamMuslim

Salam,
Yes there is no sectarianism in islam.
There is no 4 imams, they are just 4 scholars who tried to answer some questions and problems using evidences from Quran and sunnah.

There is no obligation to follow one of them.
Myself, for each question I follow the closest answer to Quran and sunnah no matter who is the scholar.

My humble opinion.

:wasalam:

salam alaykum.....

i heard there are no sects in Islam...but then why r there 4 imams that we must choose from which r shafi ,hannafi ,hambali,....isnt that forming sects....even there opinions differ in different matters

walaikum assalam. akhi these are school of thoughts(fiqh and shairah laws).
there opinion differ in fiqh matter and not in aqeedah matter. ANd the reason of fiqh matter is hadiths and practise of prophet mohammad(sw). they all are upon right path and from salafs.

Salika

~mUsLiMaH~
:salam2:

The four schools

The four schools of Sunni Islam are each named by students of the classical jurist who taught them. The Sunni schools
(and where they are commonly found) are

* Hanafi (Turkey, the Balkans, Central Asia, Indian subcontinent, Egypt, China)
* Maliki (North Africa, West Africa and several of the Arab Gulf states)
* Shafi'i (Indonesia, Malaysia, Yemen and southern parts of India)
* Hanbali (Arabia).

These four schools share most of their rulings, but differ on the particular hadiths they accept as
authentic and the weight they give to analogy or reason (qiyas) in deciding difficulties.

The Hanafi school was the earliest established under the jurist Imam Abu Hanifa, who was born
and taught in Iraq. Imam Abu Hanifa (80A.H. - 150A.H.), whose real name was Nu'man ibn Thabit,
was born in the city of Kufa (modern day Iraq) in the year 80 A.H (689 A.D). Born into a family of tradesmen,
the Imam's family were of Persian origin as well as descending from Salman al Farsi, a follower of Muhammad.
Being distant from the source of Islamic literatures based in Mecca and Medina, Imam Abu Hanifa was more apt at
interpreting Islamic legal rules based on thought and reason if he was not able to get access to sources. Under Imam Abu
Hanifa, the witr prayer was considered to be compulsory and the Hanafis also differed with other sects in relation to methods
of taking ablution, prayers and payment of tithe or zakat. Imam Abu Hanifa also differed with the other three schools in many
areas including the type of punishments meted out for various crimes in Islam. On the whole, the Hanafi school of jurisprudence
could be said to have the most differences with other three schools.

Students of Imam Malik established the Maliki school of which a majority now can be found in North Africa and some
Persian gulf states . Imam Malik, whose real name was Abu Abdullah, Malik bin Anas, was born in Medina in the year 715 AD.
His ancestral home was in Yemen, but his grandfather settled in Medina after embracing Islam. He received his education in
Medina, which was the most important seat of Islamic learning, and where the immediate descendants of the Muhammad's
followers lived. Imam Malik was attracted to the study of law, and devoted himself to the study of Fiqh. His principal book,
the Kital al-Muwatta, is the earliest surviving book on the Qur'an and hadith. Differences under the Maliki school included the
fact that those following the Maliki school could state their purpose (or niat) once only for compulsory fasting which is valid
for the whole month of Ramadhan whilst for the Syafi'ie school, one would have to state his purpose every day
of the month of Ramadhan for his fast to be valid the next day.

Salem9022

:salam2:

The four schools

The four schools of Sunni Islam are each named by students of the classical jurist who taught them. The Sunni schools
(and where they are commonly found) are

* Hanbali (Arabia).

These four schools share most of their rulings, but differ on the particular hadiths they accept as
authentic and the weight they give to analogy or reason (qiyas) in deciding difficulties.

The Hanafi school was the earliest established under the jurist Imam Abu Hanifa, who was born
and taught in Iraq. Imam Abu Hanifa (80A.H. - 150A.H.), whose real name was Nu'man ibn Thabit,
was born in the city of Kufa (modern day Iraq) in the year 80 A.H (689 A.D). Born into a family of tradesmen,
the Imam's family were of Persian origin as well as descending from Salman al Farsi, a follower of Muhammad.
Being distant from the source of Islamic literatures based in Mecca and Medina, Imam Abu Hanifa was more apt at
interpreting Islamic legal rules based on thought and reason if he was not able to get access to sources. Under Imam Abu
Hanifa, the witr prayer was considered to be compulsory and the Hanafis also differed with other sects in relation to methods
of taking ablution, prayers and payment of tithe or zakat. Imam Abu Hanifa also differed with the other three schools in many
areas including the type of punishments meted out for various crimes in Islam. On the whole, the Hanafi school of jurisprudence
could be said to have the most differences with other three schools.

Students of Imam Malik established the Maliki school of which a majority now can be found in North Africa and some
Persian gulf states . Imam Malik, whose real name was Abu Abdullah, Malik bin Anas, was born in Medina in the year 715 AD.
His ancestral home was in Yemen, but his grandfather settled in Medina after embracing Islam. He received his education in
Medina, which was the most important seat of Islamic learning, and where the immediate descendants of the Muhammad's
followers lived. Imam Malik was attracted to the study of law, and devoted himself to the study of Fiqh. His principal book,
the Kital al-Muwatta, is the earliest surviving book on the Qur'an and hadith. Differences under the Maliki school included the
fact that those following the Maliki school could state their purpose (or niat) once only for compulsory fasting which is valid
for the whole month of Ramadhan whilst for the Syafi'ie school, one would have to state his purpose every day
of the month of Ramadhan for his fast to be valid the next day.

* Hanbali (Arabia).

????

So what school of taught do Muslims practise in Europe and America or In Astrailia?

Also what is Sunni Islam? I thought there was only One Islam.

Let's not speak without knowledge or take knowledge of people who themselves are ignorant of the deen. The ONLY School of Taught we Muslims have is that of the School or Methodology of the Salaf-as-Saleh who are the Prophet, The companions and the Tabi'een. To say there is four schools in "Sunni" Islam is just rediculous. Because besides the 4 schools there were 20 other "Madhabs" as well, but no one talks about them so how come there is 4 but not 20?

Because besides the 4 schools there were 20 other "Madhabs" as well, but no one talks about them so how come there is 4 but not 20?

dont know akhi, but may be quote of sheikh ibn taymiah is sufficiant.

Ibn Taymiyya in the Mukhtasar al-fatawa al-misriyya says:
al-a'imma ijtima`uhum hujjatun qati`atun wa ikhtilafuhum rahmatun wasi`a -- The consensus of the Imams [of fiqh] on a question is a definitive proof, and their divergence of opinion is a vast mercy... If one does not follow any of the four Imams [of fiqh]... then he is completely in error, for the truth is not found outside of these four in the whole shari`a.Ibn Taymiyya, Mukhtasar al-fatawa al-misriyya (Cairo, 1980) p. 35, 54

Salem9022

dont know akhi, but may be quote of sheikh ibn taymiah is sufficiant.

Ibn Taymiyya in the Mukhtasar al-fatawa al-misriyya says:
al-a'imma ijtima`uhum hujjatun qati`atun wa ikhtilafuhum rahmatun wasi`a -- The consensus of the Imams [of fiqh] on a question is a definitive proof, and their divergence of opinion is a vast mercy... If one does not follow any of the four Imams [of fiqh]... then he is completely in error, for the truth is not found outside of these four in the whole shari`a.Ibn Taymiyya, Mukhtasar al-fatawa al-misriyya (Cairo, 1980) p. 35, 54

You didn't really answer my question, I asked why people only follow 4 Madhabs when there were more then 20? Also you bought Ibn Taymmiah but you didn't qoute the whole thing, you skipped some things here and there, and I agree the Madhabs are correct but we shouldn't follow it blindly, people say they are Hanafi, and then don't even Follow Imam Abu Hanifa, and btw what was Imam Abu Hanifa which Madhab did he follow? lol

Also please tell me which Madhabs do Muslims in North America and Europe and Canada follow?

You didn't really answer my question, I asked why people only follow 4 Madhabs when there were more then 20?
Because besides the 4 schools there were 20 other "Madhabs" as well, but no one talks about them so how come there is 4 but not 20?

allready answered:
for the truth is not found outside of these four in the whole shari`a.

Also you bought Ibn Taymmiah but you didn't qoute the whole thing, you skipped some things here and there, ]

inshalalh buy by urself and read the whole book if u can arabic.

what was Imam Abu Hanifa which Madhab did he follow? lol
What do u think?
Also please tell me which Madhabs do Muslims in North America and Europe and Canada follow?

THis religion of this continent is not islam. so most muslims in these continent are from asia or arab countries. So all 4 madhab can be found in these continents.

harun

well, well ...
if I am reading your comments am very sad about you.
These kind of polemic "questions" are just hurting the muslim society. So please stop it!
* (...)

Let's not speak without knowledge

So why are you talking and especially acting like an teacher?:SMILY286:
A sister is explaining you about this topic....
A brother is giving you an fatwa of an shayk...
But you still following blindly your "own" opinion.
Everybody is wrong, but you are right?
How should the mayority of this ummah including me and you follow Hz. Mohammad (saw)? Excepting the Scholars it is inpossible to do this!
It is like if a child, who is just learning the alphabet, would saying "Follow just the professor! Forget the teachers..."
Read the ahadith and think about it, insha'allah...
"The Ulama are the heritors of the prophets" (Ibn Maje)
"Follow the Ulama, because they are the lights of this side and hereafter" (Daylami)
May Allah swt guide us and forgive our sins...
:wasalam: my brother in Islam

Salika

~mUsLiMaH~
You didn't really answer my question, I asked why people only follow 4 Madhabs when there were more then 20? Also you bought Ibn Taymmiah but you didn't qoute the whole thing, you skipped some things here and there, and I agree the Madhabs are correct but we shouldn't follow it blindly, people say they are Hanafi, and then don't even Follow Imam Abu Hanifa, and btw what was Imam Abu Hanifa which Madhab did he follow? lol

Since people in the US and UK have different nationalities, they usually follow which ever one their country usually follows. I'm American and since my parents are from South Asia, I follow Hanifa. Those who are reverts can study all and follow whichever school they please. Some people don't follow any but just follow their own interpretation of Quran and Sunnah.

Salem9022

Since people in the US and UK have different nationalities, they usually follow which ever one their country usually follows. I'm American and since my parents are from South Asia, I follow Hanifa. Those who are reverts can study all and follow whichever school they please. Some people don't follow any but just follow their own interpretation of Quran and Sunnah.

--So you are saying Muslims in America who are not from South Asia should follow their own Interpretation of the Qur'an and Sunnah if they don't want to follow the 4 Madhabs?

Salem9022

You didn't really answer my question, I asked why people only follow 4 Madhabs when there were more then 20?

allready answered:

inshalalh buy by urself and read the whole book if u can arabic.

What do u think?

THis religion of this continent is not islam. so most muslims in these continent are from asia or arab countries. So all 4 madhab can be found in these continents.

I don't understand you really, If the religion of this continent is not Islam, then nor was the religion of Arabia, during the Prophets time but you think the Prophet called People to the 4 Madhabs?

--like I said before you didn't qoute the whole thing from Ibn Taymiyah You only copied and paste from a deviant website which is most likely, a tablighi website.

Salem9022

well, well ...
if I am reading your comments am very sad about you.
These kind of polemic "questions" are just hurting the muslim society. So please stop it!

So why are you talking and especially acting like an teacher?:SMILY286:
A sister is explaining you about this topic....
A brother is giving you an fatwa of an shayk...
But you still following blindly your "own" opinion.
Everybody is wrong, but you are right?
How should the mayority of this ummah including me and you follow Hz. Mohammad (saw)? Excepting the Scholars it is inpossible to do this!
It is like if a child, who is just learning the alphabet, would saying "Follow just the professor! Forget the teachers..."
Read the ahadith and think about it, insha'allah...
"The Ulama are the heritors of the prophets" (Ibn Maje)
"Follow the Ulama, because they are the lights of this side and hereafter" (Daylami)
May Allah swt guide us and forgive our sins...
:wasalam: my brother in Islam

what is Hz.? and saw? I have no problem with what Ibn Maje said but I'm a little confused to what this means?

"It is like if a child, who is just learning the alphabet, would saying "Follow just the professor! Forget the teachers..."

????very confusing

samiha

---------
Staff member
wa alaykum salaam

You know, it's interesting to note that every few cycles certain questions repeat again and again - so a person should always check the search button for these. As in Music, Madhabs, Mulitple marriages etc.

As per this topic, it's been discussed many times. The conclusion is simple dear brother - but getting there is difficult with all that comes in the way. We as Muslims are commanded to follow the Qur'aan, Hadith and the Salaf us-Salih - meaning the pious predecessors as much as our ability. As they were the best of mankind.

The difference of opinion exists in Islaam, but these are not different sects, or they are not supposed to be. They only become "sect-like" when a follower of a Madhab insists that he is right and only his Imam's opinion is right and though the other Imams are good he will not follow because his Imam said different. And this may be in situations when another Imam or other source may have stronger validity. This should not be our stance in this. In fact, its not even what the Imams themselves called to!

It was never made obligatory in Islaam to follow a madhab - but scholars have agreed that the Imams were all rightly guided and some of the greatest of Mujtahid - therefore following them is permissible - but NOT to the point of blindness or neglecting other matters or opinions.

The following below is some articles useful to read... by the way - there's a quote by Ibn Taymiyyah here too.

Determining the right way

divider_66.gif

When people enter into Islaam, they sometimes become confused by the numerous Islaamic parties, groups and sect, find which one is upon the clear white path which Prophet Muhammad (sallallaahu ’alayhi wa sallam) left us upon.
All the Praises are for Allaah and Salutation is for the Messenger (sallallaahu 'alayhi wa sallam) and his family and all those that follow him doing good works until the Day of Resurrection.

The very first generation of Muslims that lived and established Islãm in their lives with Muhammad (sallallaahu 'alayhi wa sallam), the son of Abdullah, had glory and triumph that no nation that existed before them or any that came after them achieved. This is a reality which no one denies.

Thus we find that every conscious Muslim dreams about this reality and so in his own way tries to work for this glory to return within his life and the life of those around him. However, to dream is one thing and the reality is another. The Muslims although they are now the fastest growing nation, are also the most divided. This division was predicted by the messenger (sallallaahu 'alayhi wa sallam), who said: The Jews were divided into seventy one (71) groups and the Christians were divided into seventy two (72) any my ummah (nation) will divide into seventy three (73), each of which would be in the Fire except one...

Although this prediction is established in the Hadeeth above, yet it is not approved by Islãm. On the contrary, Allaah had commanded the Muslims to unite, He said: Hold fast all together to the rope of Allaah and be not divided.. [Al Qurãn 3:103]

The division of this ummah started very early after the death of the messenger of Allaah (sallallaahu 'alayhi wa sallam). After Islãm became strong and its enemies found that they could not defeat it physically they started to attack it by undermining the faith of the common people and those newly converted to Islãm by introducing new concepts that were alien to the Islãm brought by Muhammad (sallallaahu 'alayhi wa sallam). This wave of attack brought about an almost total standstill to the quest for sound knowledge and facilitated the easy spread of deviant concepts and new innovations in this deen. The vast majority of Muslims are now totally lost and their understanding of Islãm was very much diluted with deviant ideas which allowed anyone who wanted to capitalize on the ignorant to do so with ease. People now lost the correct way and so they did not know what method to use to understand this deen. Therefore, instead of referring matters of belief ('Aqeeda) to the Qurãn and the Sunnah they turned to the books of philosophy which, although written by Muslims, were all affected by the Greek, Persian and other prevalent thoughts of that time.

Issues of fiqh on the other hand were completely restricted to the four Imãms. And so as time went by the people became totally fanatical about their Madhab (school of thought). This caused the noble Imãms to be treated by their followers as the prophets ought to be treated (i.e. as if they were protected from errors). Whatever any of them said was taken as totally correct by those who followed them (as if it were revelation). Even if a verse from the Qurãn or an authentic saying of the Messenger (sallallaahu 'alayhi wa sallam) was brought as an argument against what the Imãm said, their followers left what Allaah or the messenger (sallallaahu 'alayhi wa sallam) said and followed their Imãms. This dangerous state of affair led to blind following (Taqleed) of humans at the expense of revelation.

Blind following of other than Allaah and His messenger (sallallaahu 'alayhi wa sallam) along with widespread ignorance was definitely the major sources of all the division that occurred in the Deen. This was now what Islãm became to the people. And this attitude closed the doors of Ijtihad. Proof were no longer looked into to understand anything in the Islãm and the Qurãn and the sunnah of the messenger (sallallaahu 'alayhi wa sallam) which must be used for our guidance now became means for the Muslim of acquiring blessings (Barakah).

This further led to the state where anyone could now give Fatawas (Legislative rulings in Islãm) and also say anything he felt like saying about Islãm because there was no threat that anyone would ask for proof from the Qurãn or the Sunnah. On the other hand the people who were listening to him had no basis to determine whether what they are hearing is correct or not because they themselves have lost any attachment to sources of Islãmic law.

This condition of ignorance and blind following was also predicted by the messenger (sallallaahu 'alayhi wa sallam), who said: Verily, Allaah does not take away knowledge by snatching it from the people, but (this is done) by causing (the death) of the scholars until none of them is left alive. People would then appoint ignorant leaders for themselves who would be consulted in matters of religion and they would give Fatawas without knowledge, falling into misguidance and misguiding others. [Muslim].

The Solution

The messenger of Allaah (sallallaahu 'alayhi wa sallam) said: O mankind, I am leaving two things with you, if you cling to them you will never go astray. The Book of Allaah and my way of life. [Al-Hãkim and Al-Baihaqi]. This hadeeth is laying the bases for the Muslim if he does not want to go astray. It follows, therefore, that if at anytime some one finds himself going astray, then he is not holding on to one or both of these sources. The problem we face, however, is that every Muslim stand by this claim that they are holding on to the Qurãn and the Sunnah So how can anyone determine whose claim is correct?

The messenger of Allaah (sallallaahu 'alayhi wa sallam) left this way very clear for us as he said: I am leaving you on a clear way, its night is like its day and none turns away from it except that he would be destroyed.

He told us that the way he left is very clear and then in the following Ahadeeth he explained for us what it is. He (sallallaahu 'alayhi wa sallam) said: The Jews were divided into seventy one groups and the Christians were divided into seventy-two and my ummah will be divided into seventy three and each of them will be in the fire except one. The companions asked: "Who are they, O messenger of Allaah?" He (sallallaahu 'alayhi wa sallam) said: They are those who are on the like of what I and my companions are on. And in another Hadeeth, he (sallallaahu 'alayhi wa sallam) said: The best people is my generation then those that follow them, then those who follow them.

• In the above hadeeth the prophet (sallallaahu 'alayhi wa sallam) is telling us the way to understand the Qurãn and the Sunnah is the way the sahabas understood and practiced it.
• If the understanding of the Qurãn and the sunnah of any group coincides with the understanding of the Companions in all issues, then that group would be the one that is on the truth.
• It must also be very clear that only one group of all the groups that are existing is on the correct way as is explained in the hadeeth.

One way

The saying of Allaah further emphasises that there is only one way. He said: Whoever opposes the messenger after the guidance has been clearly shown to him, and follows other than the way of the believers, We shall keep him in the path he has chosen, and burn him in hell, and what an evil destination. [Al-Qurãn 4:115]

Who were the believers during the time the Qurãn was being revealed? Were they not only the messenger (sallallaahu 'alayhi wa sallam) and the first generation of believers? So Allaah is also making it very clear that there is only one way i.e. the way of the messenger (sallallaahu 'alayhi wa sallam) and his companions. My brothers and sisters, life is short so we must make sure that before we die we secure the key that will take us to Al-Jannah (Heaven). Let us not follow Allaah's religion based on customs and based on our desires but let us keep an open mind and beg Allaah to guide us to the Truth that was left very clear for us by Him and His messenger (sallallaahu 'alayhi wa sallam). May Allaah guide us all to the straight way of Islãm. Ameen!

Other Links:

Whats the difference in the four schools?

Following the Salaf

Fatawa:

Imitation (taqleed), following the evidence (daleel) – and was Ibn Hazm a Hanbali?

Question: How can a person not make taqleed and still at the same time follow the teachings of one of the imams hanafi, maaliki, shaafi and ahmad bin hanbal(may allah(s.w) have mercy on them all). i am asking this because after reading a summary of the biography of bin baaz( may allah(s.w) have mercy on him)that he followed the school of ahmad bin hanbal(may allah(s.w) have mercy on him) but didnt do taqleed. please explain this to me because im confused .

Answer :
Praise be to Allaah.

Firstly:

The followers of the madhhabs are not all the same.
Some of them are mujtahids within their madhhab, and some are followers (muqallids) who do not go against their madhhabs in any regard.

Al-Buwayti, al-Muzani, al-Nawawi and Ibn Hajr were followers of Imam al-Shaafa’i, but they were also mujtahids in their own right and differed with their imam when they had evidence. Similarly Ibn ‘Abd al-Barr was a Maaliki but he differed with Maalik if the correct view was held by someone else. The same may be said of the Hanafi imams such as Abu Yoosuf and Muhammad al-Shaybaani, and the Hanbali imams such as Ibn Qudaamah, Ibn Muflih and others.

The fact that a student studied with a madhhab does not mean that he cannot go beyond it if he finds sound evidence elsewhere; the only one who stubbornly clings to a particular madhhab (regardless of the evidence) is one who lacking in religious commitment and intellect, or he is doing that because of partisan attachment to his madhhab.

The advice of the leading imams is that students should acquire knowledge from where they acquired it, and they should ignore the words of their imams if they go against the hadeeth of the Prophet SAWS (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him).

Abu Haneefah said: “This is my opinion, but if there comes someone whose opinion is better than mine, then accept that.”

Maalik said: “I am only human, I may be right or I may be wrong, so measure my words by the Qur’aan and Sunnah.”

Al-Shaafa’i said: “If the hadeeth is saheeh, then ignore my words. If you see well established evidence, then this is my view.”

Imam Ahmad said: “Do not follow me blindly, and do not follow Maalik or al-Shaafa’i or al-Thawri blindly. Learn as we have learned.” And he said, “Do not follow men blindly with regard to your religion, for they can never be safe from error.”

No one has the right to follow an imam blindly and never accept anything but his words. Rather what he must do is accept that which is in accordance with the truth, whether it is from his imam or anyone else.

Shaykh al-Islam Ibn Taymiyah said:

No one has to blindly follow any particular man in all that he enjoins or forbids or recommends, apart from the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him). The Muslims should always refer their questions to the Muslim scholars, following this one sometimes and that one sometimes. If the follower decides to follow the view of an imam with regard to a particular matter which he thinks is better for his religious commitment or is more correct etc, that is permissible according to the majority of Muslim scholars, and neither Abu Haneefah, Maalik, al-Shaafa’i or Ahmad said that this was forbidden.

Majmoo’ al-Fataawa, 23/382.

Question: What is the ruling on following one of the four madhhabs in all cases and situations?

The Committee replied:

Praise be to Allaah, and blessings and peace be upon His Messenger and his family and companions.

Firstly: the four madhhabs are named after the four imams – Imam Abu Haneefah, Imam Maalik, Imam al-Shaafa’i and Imam Ahmad.

Secondly: These imams learned fiqh (jurisprudence) from the Qur’aan and Sunnah, and they are mujtahideen in this regard. The mujtahid either gets it right, in which case he will have two rewards, the reward for his ijtihaad and the reward for getting it right, or he will get it wrong, in which case he will be rewarded for his ijtihaad and will be forgiven for his mistake.

Thirdly: the one who is able to derive rulings from the Qur’aan and Sunnah should take from them like those who came before him; it is not right for him to follow blindly (taqleed) when he is believes that the truth lies elsewhere. Rather he should follow that which he believes is the truth. It is permissible for him to follow in matters in which he is unable to come to a conclusion based on the Qur’aan and Sunnah and he needs guidelines concerning a particular issue.

Fourthly: Whoever does not have the ability to derive rulings himself is permitted to follow one whom he feels comfortable following. If he is not comfortable following him then he should ask until he finds someone with whom he is comfortable.

Fifthly: From the above it is clear that we should not follow their opinions in all situations and at all times, because they may make mistakes, but we may follow their views that are sound and are based on the evidence.

Fataawa al-Lajnah, 5/28

Link: The Sayings of the Four Imams on Taqlid

Since there has been many other threads of the same topic - I dont think this needs further discussion.

- Thread Closed-

wasalam

Status
Not open for further replies.