The Ahadeeth Islaam Revolves Around

Ibn Uthaymin

Author Ibn Rajab al Hanbalee

Reference Jaami’ al ‘Uloom wal Hikkam : Vol. 1 P. 62

‘Uthmaan ibn Sa’eed narrated that Abu ‘Ubayd said: “The Prophet - صلى الله عليه وسلم – gathered the affair of the afterlife in one phrase:

“Whoever innovates something in this affair of ours that is not of it will have it rejected.”

And the affair of the life of this world in one phrase:

“Indeed actions are only based on intentions.”

They are incorporated in all knowledge.

Al Imaam Ahmad stated: “The basis of Islaam are three Ahadeeth:

Umar’s Hadeeth – “Actions are based on intentions…”

‘Aa-isha’s Hadeeth – “Whoever innovates something in this affair of ours that is not of it will have it rejected.”

An Nu’maan ibn Basheer’s Hadeeth – “What is permissible is clear and what is forbidden is clear…”

Al Haakim stated: ‘It was narrated to us on the authority of ‘Abdullaah ibn Ahmad that his father mentioned the saying of the Messenger; “Actions are based on intentions…”, and his saying; "Indeed the creation of each one of you is brought together in his mother's stomach for forty days…”, and his saying; “Whoever innovates something in this affair of ours that is not of it will have it rejected.” and then said: “Every book should start with these Ahadeeth because they are the basis of Hadeeth.”

Ishaaq ibn Rahuyah stated: “Four Ahadeeth are from the basis of the religion:

‘Umar’s Hadeeth – “Indeed actions are only based on intentions…”

[An Nu’man ibn Basheer’s] Hadeeth – “What is permissible is clear and what is forbidden is clear…”

[Ibn Mas’ood’s] Hadeeth: ”Indeed the creation of each one of you is brought together in his mother's stomach…”

and [‘Aa-isha’s] Hadeeth – “Whoever innovates something in this affair of ours that is not of it will have it rejected.”

Abu Dawood stated: ‘I examined the Ahadeeth on the authority of the Messenger- صلى الله عليه وسلم – and found they were [approximately] four thousand Ahadeeth, I further examined them and found that these four thousand revolve around four:

An Nu’maan ibn Basheer’s Hadeeth; “What is permissible is clear and what is forbidden is clear…”

‘Umar’s Hadeeth; “Indeed actions are only based on intentions…”

Abu Hurayrah’s Hadeeth; “Indeed Allaah is good and does not accept anything except good, and Allaah ordered the believers with the same things he ordered the messengers…” and

[Abu Hurayrah’s Hadeeth;] “From the proficiency of a person’s Islaam, is to leave off what does not concern him.”

He then stated; ‘Each of these four Ahadeeth is a quarter of knowledge.’

It was also narrated that Abu Dawood said: “I wrote 500,000 Ahadeeth on the authority of the Messenger of Allaah - صلى الله عليه وسلم -, I selected from them what I included in this book – meaning ‘Sunan Abu Dawood’ – I collected 4,800 Ahadeeth in it , it is sufficient for a person to know four of them for his religion:

The First; the saying of the Messenger - صلى الله عليه وسلم - “Indeed actions are only based on intentions…”

The Second; the saying of the Messenger - صلى الله عليه وسلم – “From the proficiency of a person’s Islaam, is to leave off what does not concern him.”

The Third; the saying of the Messenger - صلى الله عليه وسلم – “A person would not be a true believer, until he does not accept for his brother except what he accepts for himself.”

The Fourth; the saying of the Messenger - صلى الله عليه وسلم – “What is permissible is clear and what is forbidden is clear…”

In another narration he stated: “Fiqh revolves around five Ahadeeth:

“What is permissible is clear and what is forbidden is clear…”

"There should be neither harming nor reciprocating harm."

“Indeed actions are only based on intentions…”

“Religion is sincerity…” and

“What I have prohibited you from, you must avoid, and what I have ordered you to do, you must carry out according to your ability…”

In another narration: ‘The basis of the Sunan in every science are four Ahadeeth:

Umar’s Hadeeth – “Indeed actions are only based on intentions…”

“What is permissible is clear and what is forbidden is clear…”

“From the proficiency of a person’s Islaam, is to leave off what does not concern him.”

and the Hadeeth: “Practice Zuhd in the life of this world and Allaah will love you, practice Zuhd in what people own and the people will love you.”

Al Haafidh Abul Hassan Taahir al Andalosee stated in a poem:

The basis of religion to us are four,
Ahadeeth from the sayings of the best of Mankind.
Avoid Shubuhaat, practice Zuhd and leave off,
that which does not concern you and act with an intention.