The British Public & Muslim Integration

Ibn_hassan

Servant of Allah
Today's ICM poll comes in the wake of Rt Reverend Michael Nazir-Ali's provocative claim that Islamic extremism in Britain had created no-go areas. This claim, made in an article in The Sunday Telegraph, pushed Muslim integration to the top of the political agenda in the UK.

ICM is a UK based public opinion researcher based in the UK which conducts surveys for various newspapers, including The Guardian, The News of the world, The Scotsman and the .

The poll found that the majority of British people believe that Muslims need to do more to integrate into society.

However, the population is divided about whether the breakdown between communities has reached such a level that there are "no-go areas" for non-Muslims. The ICM poll shows 35 per cent agreeing with the bishop, 38 per cent disagreeing, and the rest unsure.

More than half - 56 per cent - were critical of the failure of Islamic communities to integrate into society. Only one in four felt that they had been successful.

Bishop Nazir-Ali expressed concern that attempts had been made in some areas to impose an Islamic character, for example by amplifying the call to prayer from mosques.

Nevertheless, only in three of those questioned in the poll said that they would be unhappy to have a mosque built in their neighbourhood compared with a quarter who would support such a move.

Although 51 per cent agreed that the Muslim community enriched Britain and was not a threat, 37 per cent disagreed.

David Davis, the shadow home secretary, said that the poll results showed a widespread feeling that the Government had failed. "This demonstrates that the Government's actions, both to control immigration and to advance integration, are believed to have failed by the vast majority of the population," he said.

Church leaders in communities with large concentrations of Muslims said that Christians were being targeted. An east London vicar who had delivered Christmas leaflets in his parish said he was told to stay away from "Muslim areas".

He said: "Despite this being a mixed area, where Muslims make up only about 15 per cent of the population, I was told that the leaflets were offensive and could make people angry."

Another churchman said his path had been blocked by Muslim youths as he drove through a district of Oldham, Lancashire, last year. "They wanted to know why I was coming into 'their' area," he said.

However, a spokesman for the Department for Communities and Local Government said that research showed that 81 per cent of people say that they feel that people from different backgrounds get on well together in their local areas.

"People of all faiths make a huge contribution to British life. Community cohesion is key to maintaining harmonious communities. That is why our strategy puts an emphasis on promoting integration and shared British values."

Optimist

قل هو الله أحد
I thought he was completely irrelevant .. a grumpy old man having a whine ... or better, just a politician who is trying to score cheap points.

We muslims are already having hard times ... in employment, in social life, in politics .... etc. We do have our problems but the answer to this is NOT by diluting our faith.

Why is the muslim call to prayer offensive to Christian ? I came from a middle east country where Christians publicly rang their church bells on Sundays. No one - and I tell you NO ONE- made a fuss about it. It all comes to show the hypocrisy of the church where at the time most British don't even believe in God, they are busy attacking muslims.

I thought the answer from Muslim organisations was a good one:

Scaremongering

Muslim youth organisation The Ramadhan Foundation said it was disturbed at the bishop's comments and urged him to step down, saying it was against the tolerant teachings of the Archbishop of Canterbury, Dr Rowan Williams.

Ibrahim Mogra, of the Muslim Council of Britain's inter-faith relations committee, described the bishop's comments as "alarming".

He said: "If there is no evidence he can put forward then it boils down to simple scaremongering.

"It is very worrying if parts of our country become no-go areas for anybody, and it is not acceptable.

"To suggest that a handful of people are beginning to create such areas where nobody else can go unless they are Muslim needs evidence to back such claims."

and I add:

Show forgiveness, enjoin what is good, and turn away from the foolish (i.e. don't punish them).

Qura'aan 7:199