the difference between repentance "Tawba "and forgiveness "maghfira"?

hager

The difference between repentance and forgiveness

Question:What is the difference between tawba(repentance) and maghfira(forgiveness)
Answer:

Istighfaar (seeking forgiveness) is of two types, depending on whether the word is used alone or is accompanied by the word tawbah (forgiveness). When it is mentioned alone, it essentially means the same as tawbah. The two words are interchangeable, each carrying the meaning of the other, when mentioned separately.

When the two words are used together, istighfaar means seeking protection from the evil of what is past, and tawbah means returning to Allaah and seeking protection from the evil of one’s own bad deeds which one fears may lie ahead in the future.

Istighfaar and tawbah are among the pairs of words which the scholars say convey one another’s meanings when used alone, but which have their own separate meanings when they are used together. And Allaah knows best.

Madaarij al-Saalikeen, 1/308)

And Allah know the best
Allah bless us,
Forgive us,
guide us to the right path,
Salam o likum:SMILY139::SMILY139:

lostlilly07

striving 4 Firadous
Wa alaikum salaam
that is great to know because for a long time..I had no idea what Tawbah was and scared to ask. But aren't you suppose to make two rakats with Tawbah?

-SubhanAllah-

Assalamu Alaikum

JazakAllah khair for sharing.

You know the Prophet :saw2: prayed to Allah (swt) for forgiveness from 70 to 100 times a day, by saying “astagfirullah" (Forgive me, my Lord)..

..and that is by someone who is promised the highest place in Jannat InshaAllah, what does that say about us sinners?! SubhanAllah!

Let's all increase in our tawbah/Istighfar on a daily basis InshaAllah.

-SubhanAllah-

Wa alaikum salaam
that is great to know because for a long time..I had no idea what Tawbah was and scared to ask. But aren't you suppose to make two rakats with Tawbah?

Asslamu Alaikum

Yes if you commit a sin. Tawbah has 3 conditions:

1) You stop doing that sin
2) You feel sorry for doing that sin
3) You have the intention not to repeat that sin

Abu Bakr (RA) related from the Messenger of Allah (SAW) that he said, “There is no one who commits a sin, goes and performs ritual ablutions, and then prays two rakats after which they seek Allah’s forgiveness except that He forgives them.” After this, he (peace and blessings be upon him) recited Allah Most High’s words,

“And those who, when they do an evil thing or wrong themselves, remember Allah and implore forgiveness for their sins - Who forgives sins save Allah only? - and will not knowingly repeat (the wrong) they did.” [Qur’an, 3.135]

This has been related by Abu Dawud and Tirmidhi in their respective Sunan, and the scholars declared it to be a recommended prayer. [Ibn Qudama, al-Mughni 1.348, Ibn Abidin, Radd al-Muhtar 2.28, quoting Sharh Shir`at al-Islam via Shaykh Isma`il al-Nabulsi]