The eleven best things parents can do

amjaddamen

brother
:salam2:
Respected sisters and brothers ,
Once more i choose to write differently , I know it is not interesting for some , but I know for sure it is important to all of you one time or another .
I used to prepare my self to be excellent father ( and husband as well ) , but when you blessed with them you find out it is very difficult job ( and this may be why allah rewards a lot and stress out the importance of obeying parents ) , and the saying goes : before marriage i used to have five principles in raising children , and now I have five children and have no principle to raise them .
In year 2001 , I bought this great book from USA (by mail ) , although iam not used to read English books due to the reason that iam Arabic native and it is some how difficult to me to translate other than my field of study , but this book brook the rule and I hope you enjoy this out lines .
( read also this related thread )
http://www.turntoislam.com/forum/showthread.php?t=38826

1. if your past is in your way then by all means clear it up.
2. talk with others about your parenting issues if you are too afraid or ashamed , then force yourself to do it .
3. remember that there are no perfect parents or families or children
4. your children are not there to raise you, wait on you ,counsel you or be your built in social support.
5. remember that one small change held in place consistently is worth a thousand big changes that lack follow- through
6. if you are too serious and rigid , learn to loosen up and also have some fun.
7. if you are too lax , tighten up.
8. remember that when you move from the extremes into the healthy center , it will "feel wrong "
9. examine your own values and lifestyle and be willing to make small, effective changes if necessary.
10. show leadership , not ownership.
11. don't be afraid to experiment

source :The Seven Worst Things Parents Do
by John & Linda Friel

• Publication Date: February 1999
• 194 pages
• ISBN-10: 1558746684
• ISBN-13: 9781558746688